Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

TGLT posted:

Best clip I can find of the Milgram Experiment on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr5cjyokVUs

I'd like to know why you think the Milgram Experiment was "sensationalist and totally incorrect", especially since it's been replicated. Whether or not it was conducted ethically is up for debates, but it's been pretty consistently replicated. People listen to authority figures, even if those authority figures are telling them to do poo poo they normally would not do.

edit: I mean I guess you can argue whether we're doing it "out of obedience" or if we're doing it because we can use authority figures to lie to ourselves about how responsible we are when we do bad poo poo, but either way the experiment's pretty solid.

Who exactly says that the Milgram or Zimbardo experiments weren't unethical? They're pretty commonly used as examples of poo poo Not To Do Because It's Unethical And Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Jarmak posted:

edit: Also, like Zimbardo, Milgrim was an rear end who didn't set out to do an experiment, he set out to prove his pet theory.
Have you ever studied anything? You dont seem to understand anything about ... anything.

Shocking news! Scientist has a theory and then sets out to prove it! :monocle:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

Who exactly says that the Milgram or Zimbardo experiments weren't unethical? They're pretty commonly used as examples of poo poo Not To Do Because It's Unethical And Bad

I specifically said that to just avoid discussion on ethics because it's kind of an ancillary topic to whether or not it's findings are valid, and whether those findings have any relation to the behavior of police or civilians in their perceptions/dealings with the police. The Stanford Experiment is second only to poo poo like the Tuskegee Experiment, but some of the participants later thanked Milgram for involving them in that experiment. So I figured, gently caress it, just sidestep that issue and focus on what's actually relevant.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
New York state police handcuff and shackle ‘combative’ five-year-old

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/new-york-state-police-handcuff-and-shackle-combative-five-year-old/#.VUdyNYYbgWM.reddit

In the system at age 5, kids got a tough life ahead of him.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

FRINGE posted:

Have you ever studied anything? You dont seem to understand anything about ... anything.

You don't set out to prove a theory, it introduces bias. You set out to test a theory.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stereotype posted:

You don't set out to prove a theory, it introduces bias. You set out to test a theory.

This is what I was about to say. A proper scientist who forms a hypothesis creates an unbiased test to determine whether or not it's true and goes along with the results. I haven't studied Milgram in as much detail, but Zimbardo specifically had a pet theory about human nature that he was anxious to prove and specifically arranged his tests to prove it. This is what resulted in him and the San Quentin inmate assistant feeding instructions to the students to encourage behavior that would prove his theory, picking a group of subjects likely to have an inherit bias and understanding just what the study was about, and leaving out the students who didn't become abusive like his study wanted to claim.

Rather than testing a theory, he created an extremely unscientific test dedicated to proving himself right.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

TGLT posted:

I specifically said that to just avoid discussion on ethics because it's kind of an ancillary topic to whether or not it's findings are valid, and whether those findings have any relation to the behavior of police or civilians in their perceptions/dealings with the police. The Stanford Experiment is second only to poo poo like the Tuskegee Experiment, but some of the participants later thanked Milgram for involving them in that experiment. So I figured, gently caress it, just sidestep that issue and focus on what's actually relevant.

Oh word, probably a good point, my b

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

TGLT posted:

Rather than argue about one specific study, there are others to refer to that were more contemporaneous and less concerned with an ethical approach than Burger. Blass's "The Milgram Paradigm After 35 Years" has a nice list on page 12/966 of experiments which replicated the Milgram Paradigm, although specifically experiments to determine if there was a difference between male/female levels of obedience. Some, like Sheridan and King, actually used a (much smaller) real shock on an animal.

As far as I know, those studies listed there did not filter out participants over potential ethical concerns, but if you know otherwise I'd like to know that.

No, these other studies were also done unethically, as far as I know. They were also plagued with the same selection problems and lack of blindnedness as Milgram. Tests where it was clear that there was harm occurring--where they weren't reassured by an 'authority' that it wasn't, had very low obedience rates. Representing the Milgram test as 'obeying' authority is missing the mark, it's about believing authority if it's about anything. Drawing any significant conclusions from it is silly.

We have a lot more ethical research that doesn't involve contrived scenarios about electrical shocks to look at obedience to authority.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
When are they gonna hang those Baltimore cops? I want to be in the front row for that poo poo.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

SpeedGem posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/new-york-state-police-handcuff-and-shackle-combative-five-year-old/#.VUdyNYYbgWM.reddit

Why is a school calling the police on a 5 year old?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Branis posted:

Happens more often than you'd think.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/17/justice/georgia-student-handcuffed/

quote:

According to their report, when the officer arrived, he observed kindergartner Salecia Johnson on the floor of the principal's office screaming and crying.

"The child was then placed in handcuffs for her safety and the officer proceeded to bring her down to the police station," said Chief Dray Swicord.

edit: This one's from today

quote:

Florida police arrived to a school in Manatee County after they were called to investigate two 7-year-olds who kissed “on the lips."

Fortunately, no arrests in this case... yet.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 5, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Branis posted:

Press charges and they aren't the school's problem any more. Good way to get rid of kids the school doesn't want to deal with. Tends to happen a lot to kids with severe disabilities.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

The Milgram experiment didn't demonstrate obedience to authority, it demonstrated people's willingness to trust a so-called expert over their own intuitive judgement. They were only able to coax people into giving the shocks by having someone posing as an expert give them repeated assurances that the person on the other end was really okay and no harm was coming to them, this isn't the same as "just following orders".

Under most circumstances we call this a good thing and laugh at the anti-intellectualism of people who want to go by their gut feelings instead of listening to people like scientists.

And the subjects' faith in experts and medical ethics was actually correct: the person on the other end really was okay and no harm was coming to them.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FRINGE posted:

uh no, poo poo scientists set out to prove they're right, good ones set out to test if they're right.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

And the subjects' faith in experts and medical ethics was actually correct: the person on the other end really was okay and no harm was coming to them.

This is also a good point that I hadn't thought of

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Jarmak posted:

uh no, poo poo scientists set out to prove they're right, good ones set out to test if they're right.

lol and journal reviews are anonymous and acceptance/R&R is based on merit only

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

sugar free jazz posted:

lol and journal reviews are anonymous and acceptance/R&R is based on merit only

Glad you've identified the incentive to be a poo poo scientist.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Obdicut posted:

We have a lot more ethical research that doesn't involve contrived scenarios about electrical shocks to look at obedience to authority.

Such as the Baltimore riots?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Glad you've identified the incentive to be a poo poo scientist.

...Publishing and personal relationships? What?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Freddie Grey arrest warrents drawn up to arrest Princess Peach the lunch lady and a Mario brother (warning, autoplaying video).

quote:

When charges were announced Friday against Alicia White for the death of Freddie Gray, her phone started buzzing from journalists and bail bondsmen.

The problem was, they were calling the wrong Alicia White. The elementary school cafeteria manager from East Baltimore was not the Baltimore Police sergeant charged with manslaughter in the high-profile police custody death - even though court records listed her....On Friday evening, Tammy and Brian Rice of Brunswick, Md. said they were receiving multiple calls from reporters looking for the lieutenant. Brian Rice of Brunswick is a plumber, they said.

Gee, wonder how THAT happened. Is Donkey Kong is in charge of the Police?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Comstar posted:

Freddie Grey arrest warrents drawn up to arrest Princess Peach the lunch lady and a Mario brother (warning, autoplaying video).

Princess Peach was not the woman kidnapped by Donkey Kong. You're thinking of Bowser.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Princess Peach was not the woman kidnapped by Donkey Kong. You're thinking of Bowser.

:goonsay:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Bowser was kidnapped by Gannon, not Donkey Kong.

Slide Rule
Feb 21, 2007

Emoticons will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law
I do not think anyone is right here

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

GlyphGryph posted:

Bowser was kidnapped by Gannon, not Donkey Kong.

You're thinking of Link, when she was fighting for the triforce.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Comstar posted:

I guess their princess was in another castle

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
God drat people are loving stupid. Now people are latching on to the "well this police officer was shot in the head are people gonna riot about that?" and I want to slap the stupid out of them, but I know it won't help. What the gently caress is wrong with these morons? How broken are people's brains to come to this conclusion? What is the emotional or intellectual cause of this? I just can't comprehend it.

I am just so goddamn frustrated right now.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these morons? How broken are people's brains to come to this conclusion? What is the emotional or intellectual cause of this?
Racism?

Seriously, they already have their notions in their heads, and then they want to form the narrative around it to justify it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

God drat people are loving stupid. Now people are latching on to the "well this police officer was shot in the head are people gonna riot about that?" and I want to slap the stupid out of them, but I know it won't help. What the gently caress is wrong with these morons? How broken are people's brains to come to this conclusion? What is the emotional or intellectual cause of this? I just can't comprehend it.

I am just so goddamn frustrated right now.

"Institutional racism doesn't exist" really sums up their view on the matter if you want to be glib.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hmm yes. I'm sure the NYPD encourages riots when one of their own is slain.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GlyphGryph posted:

It's Cops vs. Robbers tribalism. I am a good person > the police represent good people > the criminals are bad guys > the police are on my team > I root for the police no matter what.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

No, it's not that. I get that, I understand that. Racism, not believing institutional racism exists, tribalism, and so on. That doesn't explain this though. It is the gross, stunning, absolutely insane smugness over their own stupidity I don't get.

Do they realize how stupid they are being it? Is it intentional? It has to be. Some of these people are smart people.

Is it some sort of group gloating over the fact that they have the the power to reframe the narrative and deny reality?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you don't believe there's any kind of problem with our institutions, or even conceivably a problem with them, then people must have protested because they were mad someone died. Since they're not protesting when a white cop dies, obviously they only care about black lives, therefore they are the real racists. And that's how you end up thinking this is some kind of smug game-winning comeback.

I mean, just look at that guy earlier in this thread who was claiming the Ferguson protests had to be fake outrage because if law enforcement really did discriminate against black people surely we would have heard of it before this. Some people just refuse to believe the evidence and see the world as "black guy died -> riots, white guy died -> no riots, whites are the real victims"

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

No, it's not that. I get that, I understand that. Racism, not believing institutional racism exists, tribalism, and so on. That doesn't explain this though. It is the gross, stunning, absolutely insane smugness over their own stupidity I don't get.

Do they realize how stupid they are being it? Is it intentional? It has to be. Some of these people are smart people.

Is it some sort of group gloating over the fact that they have the the power to reframe the narrative and deny reality?

Just add "checkmate, libtards :smug:" to the end of every statement they make and you'll start to understand their mindset.

For most people politics has nothing to do with rationality or policy or looking out for their own best interests. It's a competitive sport and they're obsessed with beating the other team, especially on social media, by somehow getting the last word and sticking it to their opponents no matter how nonsensical their point is.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

SpeedGem posted:

Honestly I'm kind of meh on this one. Ive had to deal with combative little kids having an incident before. Been told parents were contacted they never were. Trying to get the kid who is feaking out and freaking others out in to an ambulance. Is a quite a bit rougher than you would imagine.

Anyone who says a well aimed kick from a five year old wouldn't hurt is either full of crap or hasn't seen a six foot physically fit emt get droped by a kick to the temple. If the kid is going bat poo poo and even being slightly aggressive im pretty much willing to let the leg restraints slide. Little kids give no fucks about who they hurt when they are scared. lovely situation on both ends. Feel bad for the kid though that poo poo must have been scary.

Melthir fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 5, 2015

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Seriously about the tribalism, where there are no actual issues, just opposing teams, and a point against someone perceived to be on one team is a point for the other team, no matter how little sense that makes. You say police brutality exists? Well what about all those back taxes Al Sharpton owes, huh? :smug:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

They probably feel the same way about you, if they think about you at all.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Melthir posted:

Honestly I'm kind of meh on this one. Ive had to deal with combative little kids having an incident before. Been told parents were contacted they never were. Trying to get the kid who is feaking out and freaking others out in to an ambulance. Is a quite a bit rougher than you would imagine.

Anyone who says a well aimed kick from a five year old wouldn't hurt is either full of crap or hasn't seen a six foot physically fit emt get droped by a kick to the temple. If the kid is going bat poo poo and even being slightly aggressive im pretty much willing to let the leg restraints slide. Little kids give no fucks about who they hurt when they are scared. lovely situation on both ends. Feel bad for the kid though that poo poo must have been scary.

Hi! I work with teenagers in a residential facility. If you are so scared of a Literal Five Year Old Child that you need to have the police handle it...

a) You are a gigantic loving baby.
b) You are totally unqualified for your job.

There is no goddamn circumstance in which the police should need to be called to arrest a Literal Five Year Old Child. Jesus Christ.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Its a complete lack of critical thinking other then to determine where a new fact fits in their predetermined narrative.

For more examples see half this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The Mattybee posted:

There is no goddamn circumstance in which the police should need to be called to arrest a Literal Five Year Old Child. Jesus Christ.

It's pretty clear how they should have handled the situation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E4j9KYiuZQ

• Locked thread