Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

asdf32 posted:

You insufferable idiot. Businesses are not supposed to be responsible for life and death. They're supposed to produce shoes and pencils. When they happen to provide a good loving for people great! When they don't, it's everyone's responsibility to deal with it.

Isn't that literally what we're talking about here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

VitalSigns posted:

You just reversed your position from like two posts ago, where you agreed we shouldn't give a poo poo whether lovely businesses fail in the face of laws that prevent death.

It depends on the cost.

Low skill workers are plentiful. If Wal-mart wants to employ them it's literally not costing society much at all (i.e. those workers wouldn't be doing more valuable things otherwise)

This stands in contrast to other costs, say unsafe working conditions, or pollution, where a business is burdening society and therefore should pay for that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Haha, the robotic poster assumes other people are robots as well.

beep boop low utility human detected, adjusting expectations downwards - recalibrating vocabulary circuits

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Markets aren't some ideal thing that exists in nature which we discover. Markets are defined and operate according to the laws we make based on what we think is acceptable. We decide through law whether human beings can be bought and sold as property on the market, what standards food has to meet to be sold on the market, whether to allow businesses in the market to hire children, or operate without fire exists, or pay overtime, or pay a minimum wage.

Talking about how businesses are "supposed to give us pencils" and we have no right to regulate the quality of life of their employees is just ignorant about how the real world and our own economy works.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

asdf32 posted:

It depends on the cost.

Low skill workers are plentiful. If Wal-mart wants to employ them it's literally not costing society much at all (i.e. those workers wouldn't be doing more valuable things otherwise)

This stands in contrast to other costs, say unsafe working conditions, or pollution, where a business is burdening society and therefore should pay for that.

hmm, if a company is making money off of a worker's action with the cost being provided by government-backed social programs, that's ok

but if the company is mildly inconvenienced by providing the support for the worker themselves, OH DEAR

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Haha, the robotic poster assumes other people are robots as well.

beep boop low utility human detected, adjusting expectations downwards - recalibrating vocabulary circuits

In much the same way, unmanned space flights are cheaper because it costs a lot to support life in space.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

It depends on the cost.

But society with a minimum wage is better than without, so yes by not having one and suffering all the despair, unhealthiness, and crime of an underclass, we are indeed costing society: the opportunity cost of the better welfare and happiness we'd have with a living wage.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chalets the Baka posted:

Read between the lines, human being. There are other metrics by which to determine an exact dollar amount, tying its increase as a function of productivity only determines the rate.

sh...shut up b-baka....

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

Businesses are not supposed to be responsible for life and death.

Businesses are responsible for whatever the gently caress they are told. A business is not some immutable force of nature you watermelon fucker.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

archangelwar posted:

Businesses are responsible for whatever the gently caress they are told. A business is not some immutable force of nature you watermelon fucker.

Other people are the ones presenting baked in assumptions that they don't even seem to recognize. I.E. that businesses are supposed to provide a living wage and are somehow costing society if they don't.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

Other people are the ones presenting baked in assumptions that they don't even seem to recognize. I.E. that businesses are supposed to provide a living wage and are somehow costing society if they don't.

quote:

Businesses are responsible for whatever the gently caress they are told. A business is not some immutable force of nature you demented serial watermelon fucker.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

archangelwar posted:

Businesses are responsible for whatever the gently caress they are told.

LOL no they're not. Businesses will try to make it work within whatever institutional structure is present but policy makers are not running a sim.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

There's not some Platonic ideal of a business that's "supposed" to do some things and not others. Businesses are human institutions, like the market, and they are "supposed" to do whatever we get together and decide they're supposed to do through our governing institutions.

If we make a law that says businesses have to pay overtime, then they are supposed to do that. If we make a law that says they cannot turn away customers or job applicants because of race, sex, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity, then businesses are not supposed to do that. If we make a law that says businesses have to pay at least $X/hr then businesses are supposed to do that.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

LOL no they're not. Businesses will try to make it work within whatever institutional structure is present but policy makers are not running a sim.

So in other words

quote:

Businesses are responsible for whatever the gently caress they are told. A business is not some immutable force of nature you Pinochet apologist watermelon fucker.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
The economy is meant to serve as a method of distributing resources. Private property itself is predicated on a utilitarian argument, even the ones grounded in natural law (Locke, Grotius etc). Therefore businesses exist solely for the good of the society that they inhabit.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
At long last! The return of asdf chat!

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
As long as people's quality of life are resting on the shoulders of private business, those private businesses must be required to provide an acceptable level of quality. There is no point in having businesses put people to work at wages and hours that make daily life a struggle. Our entire economy is based on private enterprise, and as such those private enterprises must be held accountable.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ocrassus posted:

The economy is meant to serve as a method of distributing resources. Private property itself is predicated on a utilitarian argument, even the ones grounded in natural law (Locke, Grotius etc). Therefore businesses exist solely for the good of the society that they inhabit.

Yeah but the utilitarian argument has been settled decisively in favor of the minimum wage, so all right-wingers have left is crying about the burden of placing life and death on the shoulders of business and how taxes and regulation just aren't fairrrrrr to Walmart, as if whether laws give Sam Walton a sad is of any consequence.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

Yep and this is fundamentally a practical argument. Make practical arguments all day long. "Minimum wage is the best policy for X".

But that's much much different than the unstated value judgement inherent to many of the "businesses should pay a living wage/business is costing society by not paying a living wage" arguments being made here.

THATCHER BRAINWASH
Mar 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Man this thread is rancid loving dogshit

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Okay so the minimum wage is justified on practical grounds, and whether it's unfair to plucky little business and makes them sad because they're "not supposed" to be responsible for a living wage is beside the point.

Glad we got that settled then.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

asdf32 posted:

But that's much much different than the unstated value judgement inherent to many of the "businesses should pay a living wage/business is costing society by not paying a living wage" arguments being made here.

And saying that businesses shouldn't be permitted to pollute isn't a value judgement? The only difference between air pollution, sound pollution, and low wages in terms of social externality is where you personally draw the line in terms of "business are responsible to provide X level of service to society"

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Chalets the Baka posted:

As long as people's quality of life are resting on the shoulders of private business, those private businesses must be required to provide an acceptable level of quality. There is no point in having businesses put people to work at wages and hours that make daily life a struggle. Our entire economy is based on private enterprise, and as such those private enterprises must be held accountable.

A business should not be forced to close just because it can't afford a one-size-fits-all price control on wages. Why should a small business be forced to pay the same wages as a grossly profitable megacorporation?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Typical Pubbie posted:

A business should not be forced to close just because it can't afford a one-size-fits-all price control on wages. Why should a small business be forced to pay the same wages as a grossly profitable megacorporation?

Seems that if competition is that tight the mega corporation would have no problem recruiting all their staff and forcing them to go out of business anyway.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There is also simply the argument of economic necessity, the only way to get consumer spending up is to get wages up at this point and the US has reached the limits of monetary policy and our fiscal policy is basically locked. Businesses don't do so well either if people can't buy their products because no one has any money.

(Also, a minimum wage increase is far far far more likely than a comparable increase to the EITC.)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

They aren't

US Departmet of Labor posted:

Who is Covered?
All employees of certain enterprises having workers engaged in interstate commerce, producing goods for interstate commerce, or handling, selling, or otherwise working on goods or materials that have been moved in or produced for such commerce by any person, are covered by the FLSA.
A covered enterprise is the related activities performed through unified operation or common control by any person or persons for a common business purpose and —
-whose annual gross volume of sales made or business done is not less than $500,000 (exclusive of excise taxes at the retail level that are separately stated); or
-is engaged in the operation of a hospital, an institution primarily engaged in the care of the sick, the aged, or the mentally ill who reside on the premises; a school for mentally or physically disabled or --gifted children; a preschool, an elementary or secondary school, or an institution of higher education (whether operated for profit or not for profit); or
is an activity of a public agency.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

And saying that businesses shouldn't be permitted to pollute isn't a value judgement? The only difference between air pollution, sound pollution, and low wages in terms of social externality is where you personally draw the line in terms of "business are responsible to provide X level of service to society"

That's not really true. A lot of people are getting hung up on the triviality of "if Walmart paid more the government would pay less". But that doesn't actually mean anything, we could replace Walmart with literally anything and it remains true. It tells us nothing about whether Wal-mart has "cost" society or not because cost is actually a judement call which includes a notion of responsibility - exactly the responsibility I don't think exists or should be expected here.

By contrast if a company pollutes the responsibility is clear.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But as you said, it doesn't matter whether the company is "costing" society or not. What matters is whether the minimum wage is a practical way to get closer to the outcomes we want: an economy that provides a basic standard of living to all workers. And it is.

We don't make pollution laws out of some cosmic sense of fairness either. We make them because they are a practical way to get the outcome we want: less pollution.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

asdf32 posted:

Yep and this is fundamentally a practical argument. Make practical arguments all day long. "Minimum wage is the best policy for X".

Minimum wage is not the best policy necessarily, but it is one of many potentially sufficient policies that are necessary to justify the ongoing existence of private property and businesses, all of which require a more substantial redistributive effort over what we currently have.

As I said before, the economy exists to serve people. If it isn't serving people (and per every major justification of private property, it is not meeting these conditions) then it needs to change.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

asdf32 posted:

That's not really true. A lot of people are getting hung up on the triviality of "if Walmart paid more the government would pay less". But that doesn't actually mean anything, we could replace Walmart with literally anything and it remains true. It tells us nothing about whether Wal-mart has "cost" society or not because cost is actually a judement call which includes a notion of responsibility - exactly the responsibility I don't think exists or should be expected here.

By contrast if a company pollutes the responsibility is clear.

We can absolutely calculate Wal-Mart's costs, as we can see that they pay some employees below poverty wages and then tally up the public welfare expenditures given to Wal-Mart employees. All these things are quantifiable.

Just because you arbitrarily draw the line of responsibility in one spot does not mean that someone else's arbitrary reckoning of social responsibility is less invalid.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wateroverfire posted:

There are lots of reasons to think that. Productivity in some things has gone up but real prices have been competed down. A company like Walmart posts a net margin of 3-4% - that's profit after paying out employees and taxes, but not the owners. That's still billions of dollars, sure, but not a lot compared to the size of the operation.

They make 16 billion dollars every year and have a GDP larger than Pakistan.

You know who shops a lot at Wal-Mart? People who make minimum wage. Wal-Mart can only benefit from its customers (some of whom are their employees) from making more money. And it has the side bonus of the Feds not needing to help fund a private businesses lovely labor practices through SNAP.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

We can absolutely calculate Wal-Mart's costs, as we can see that they pay some employees below poverty wages and then tally up the public welfare expenditures given to Wal-Mart employees. All these things are quantifiable.

Just because you arbitrarily draw the line of responsibility in one spot does not mean that someone else's arbitrary reckoning of social responsibility is less invalid.

Yep we can easily quantify an almost infinite number of things Wal-Mart doesn't pay for. The next step is to construct reasonable arguments for why you think they're supposed to pay for those things. That's what's included in the notion of cost.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

wateroverfire posted:

Small restaurants in innumerable towns in the U.S., for one. A lot of them already skirt the law because if they didn't they'd be broke.

So you can't actually name one.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
asdf have you ever hosed a watermelon?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you went to the lawless frontiers, like the deep ocean, or Amazon or the deep sahara, you would find wild businesses competing in nature without the inefficient hand of government interfering.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

asdf32 posted:

Yep we can easily quantify an almost infinite number of things Wal-Mart doesn't pay for. The next step is to construct reasonable arguments for why you think they're supposed to pay for those things. That's what's included in the notion of cost.

People have already made this reasonable argument - a living wage is better for society as a whole. You rejected this argument with blather about useless people and your opinion about the responsibility of private business. Nobody has an obligation to jump through your weirdo rhetorical hoops.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Because it's more practical to get the money to pay for these things from people who have the money, instead of people who don't

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Businesses: creations of law, but should they be bound by law?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

Businesses: creations of law, but should they be bound by law?

I long to see businesses run free across the plains, as they did in ages past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You have so fair failed, in your duty to me, to provide a rational argument as to the arbitrary imposition of age limitations on so called "child" labor. Why do you want to punish the most productive preadolescents in our society? Why do you want to reward the low-skill nonpubescent?

• Locked thread