Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
This vaguely reminds me of a story about space travel where there was a major problem with cabin fever on long trips. So the powers that be kept trying more and more to come up with a rigid routine to perform on the ships in order to try and stave off cabin fever. The TL;DR is that the routines themselves, while they initially helped, ended up being a bigger cause of the space cabin fever than anything else.

That's the vibe I'm getting here. While the Ladies Auxiliary may have been a good idea initially to deal with the forgetting of major events in town, maybe it's created a new source of "fuel" for the problem in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or Zane's onto something with "patterns" being a way to kinda deal with whatever the hell is under Broodhollow.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
They talk about tradition, and then they make tea with a teabag.
:goonsay:

It's me. I'm the goonsay.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mikl posted:

They talk about tradition, and then they make tea with a teabag.
:goonsay:

It's me. I'm the goonsay.

Hey now, it could be one of those fancy mesh ball things to hold the fancy loose leaf tea.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Wait are we really getting updates now? Finally, I was getting bored waiting for chapter 4 to drop.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Wait are we really getting updates now? Finally, I was getting bored waiting for chapter 4 to drop.

You'll probably have to wait a bit longer for that, sorry.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
A play with a king in yellow?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ThaumPenguin posted:

drat, i was so looking forward to chapter forty-six, too

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think the problem is more that they're trying to cope with whatever the horror is and not really bothering to try and find out what the hell is going on or to deal with it on a broader scale.

Or they could just leave!

seriously they should all get the hell out if at all possible

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

flatluigi posted:

Kind of.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Well done, now everybody is expecting to see before the end of this chapter the hideous multi-armed freak who could need a sweater like this.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rand Brittain posted:

I think the problem is more that they're trying to cope with whatever the horror is and not really bothering to try and find out what the hell is going on or to deal with it on a broader scale.

Or they could just leave!

seriously they should all get the hell out if at all possible

This is pretty much the problem with most of this horror stuff in that...you could just goddamn leave.

Zane I think might be hosed since he was having nightmares about Broodhollow before he even knew the place existed so maybe when it has its hooks in you, you're pretty much pot-committed.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

They "why don't you leave" aspect is part of the horror, when it has a large psychological aspect like this.

Zane was originally planning on getting in and out of this town as quickly as possible. After a horrifying experience, he... decided to stay. And take on the same role as his recently-deceased relative. And then he quickly starts to feel so at home it's as if he lived here all his life.

In context with everything else we're learning about the town, that's scary as hell.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

:thejoke:

Fabricated posted:

This is pretty much the problem with most of this horror stuff in that...you could just goddamn leave.

Zane I think might be hosed since he was having nightmares about Broodhollow before he even knew the place existed so maybe when it has its hooks in you, you're pretty much pot-committed.
Zane is definitely in the same boat as the main character from "The Shadow over Innsmouth". He has some connection to the town that he isn't fully aware of (and possibly inherited from his Uncle) in addition to the town's ability to erase memory causing him to

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

"A bird struck my window!"
"That's awful, Janice."
"But it was on ospre--"
"That bird is dead because of you!"
"But it's an omen of good th-
"You BIRD MURDERER"
"But"
"BIRDERER"

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

How do I keep falling for these

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Sometimes I can't believe the attention to detail in this comic. He actually had a character explain why they were using tea bags. And here I'd been just rolling my eyes at everyone who complained about that.

And so the ladies usually drink switchroot? Hmm...

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

flatluigi posted:

In case anyone didn't get the reference:

It's a book of supernatural short stories, the first four of which reference a play called 'The King In Yellow' that drives people mad.

Also, Cthulhu is gonna love that sweater.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Uh, so, that's scary, yet convenient, how they do that. :stare:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This is really spooky, and really neat.

We're in a similar situation: we saw a lot of stuff that Iris probably doesn't remember, leading up to Zane discovering that cavern under the lake. But we didn't "see" anything after the moment he discovered it, so we'll have to piece together those events from what characters say and do a few months later. The time skip is working like a memory lapse for the audience.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Mrs. Isquith knows what's up, but do the rest of the ladies have any idea how completely mind-wiped they'd be by the town without their system there? Just the very fact that it's necessary is way creepier than any of the monsters I've seen in this comic.

I guess the official story is now that Maris' death was an accident? For the few people who even remember he existed, I mean.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Uh, so, that's scary, yet convenient, how they do that. :stare:
Yes, that's right.

When she said that they filled each others gaps in memory, I didn't think it would be like this. It took two people to remember someone's name.

It seems that there's a bit of 'noise', so that would explain why they have a confirmation phrase.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yes, that's right.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

None of them know about the bug, then. I wonder if she told them and it got lost in translation, or if she kept it to herself and let it fall through the cracks.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So this holiday sounds ominous as all hell but it's easy to forget that with the bake sale joke.

And is it the assumption that all these holidays are just a coping mechanism or a way to keep things under control like the Pattern or do you think they're actually exactly what whatever force is at work in the town wants?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoe posted:

So this holiday sounds ominous as all hell but it's easy to forget that with the bake sale joke.

And is it the assumption that all these holidays are just a coping mechanism or a way to keep things under control like the Pattern or do you think they're actually exactly what whatever force is at work in the town wants?

I've been assuming that's it's some sort of calendar, but there's probably something more ominous behind it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

My guess is the people of Broodhollow only really 'live' during the more memorable moments, such as traditional holidays. All the time in between they tend to forget.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimby posted:

My guess is the people of Broodhollow only really 'live' during the more memorable moments, such as traditional holidays. All the time in between they tend to forget.

That's a good point. Because holidays are a communal thing, they're constantly reminding each other of what happened and they don't lose them. It's like a larger automatic version of the 'hem' concept.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 7, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kris Straub has managed to make a ladies auxiliary interesting to me. Despite the fact that it still has bake sales and poo poo.

I cannot wait until we learn more about the cavern under the lake

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

khy posted:

Kris Straub has managed to make a ladies auxiliary interesting to me. Despite the fact that it still has bake sales and poo poo.

I cannot wait until we learn more about the cavern under the lake

And whether or not Zane is still down there.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
The most unrealistic thing about this Lovecraftian horror comic is a black woman participating in a posh 1920s New England social club.

ThaumPenguin posted:

And whether or not Zane is still down there.

I've got a hundred on "doesn't remember that anything happened".

e: I'm imagining Lovecraft frowning out the window of his house then writing some really racist letters about the standards of ladies these days.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 7, 2015

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tulul posted:

The most unrealistic thing about this Lovecraftian horror comic is a black woman participating in a posh 1920s New England social club.

I've got a hundred on "doesn't remember that anything happened".

e: I'm imagining Lovecraft frowning out the window of his house then writing some really racist letters about the standards of ladies these days.

I think they just forgot to be racist.

+1 to the cosmic horror making everyone forget.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RAMPANT SPECULATION

The memory loss is caused by Switchwood. The men in the town drink Switchwood instead of alcohol, the ladies drink Switchroot tea. Who knows what else the locals use the switchwood for?

The red marks on the stones in the cavern somewhat resemble a plant as does the eldritch abomination in the glimpses we've seen it. The abominable evil in Broodhollow comes from below. It seeps upwards into the trees which, in turn, extend its influence.

Wadsworth's memory loss started after imbibing switchwood and only gets worse with time. Should he lay off of it entirely then I suspect he'd regain his memory entirely.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

khy posted:

RAMPANT SPECULATION

The memory loss is caused by Switchwood. The men in the town drink Switchwood instead of alcohol, the ladies drink Switchroot tea. Who knows what else the locals use the switchwood for?

The red marks on the stones in the cavern somewhat resemble a plant as does the eldritch abomination in the glimpses we've seen it. The abominable evil in Broodhollow comes from below. It seeps upwards into the trees which, in turn, extend its influence.

Wadsworth's memory loss started after imbibing switchwood and only gets worse with time. Should he lay off of it entirely then I suspect he'd regain his memory entirely.

Or it's all just one giant, shared, bad trip and there's nothing evil.

Joking aside I like this theory.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah, that is an interesting one, don't think I've heard it before.

And I wonder how long Kris is going to keep the focus on the ladies and leave us wondering about Zane...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Zoe posted:

Yeah, that is an interesting one, don't think I've heard it before.

And I wonder how long Kris is going to keep the focus on the ladies and leave us wondering about Zane...

At least 2 more chapters.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Crain posted:

Or it's all just one giant, shared, bad trip and there's nothing evil.

Joking aside I like this theory.

The best part is that it opens up so many interesting ideas.

Switchwood smoke causing nightmarish hallucinations.
Old switchwood bridge becoming a portal to a hellscape.
When Wadsworth finally has enough of the town the Switchwood trees 'accidentally' collapse onto the train track leaving him stranded. The woods DO surround broodhollow, do they not? The switchwood won't let him escape. And it's not like he'll ever get anyone to believe that the trees are cursed or plotting against him, right?

Maddie died in a fire, a SWITCHWOOD FIRE perhaps? The smoke traps the souls of the dead or something?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

That's a good point. Because holidays are a communal thing, they're constantly reminding each other of what happened and they don't lose them. It's like a larger automatic version of the 'hem' concept.
Well everyone forgot about the giant bats on that bell holiday. They turned into regular sized bats in memory. And I think Zane then forgot about the bats for awhile?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The bats were weird because the Bottlefly Boys literally seemed to see them AS normal bats while it was all going on. Zane yells that they're the size of cars, and one of them turns around and laughs and says, "If they were, we'd be in trouble!"

Meanwhile they certainly as gently caress knew that the angleworm wasn't normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fabricated posted:

The bats were weird because the Bottlefly Boys literally seemed to see them AS normal bats while it was all going on. Zane yells that they're the size of cars, and one of them turns around and laughs and says, "If they were, we'd be in trouble!"

Meanwhile they certainly as gently caress knew that the angleworm wasn't normal.

After the fight they claimed it was just a large bug, not something "the size of a train car", as Dr. Angstrom put it.

• Locked thread