Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I've extended that live game recruiting to Monday. Is looking like either Sunday, Monday or possibly Tuesday evenings EST will be when we run the sessions, but we'll iron it out after picks are made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

FISHMANPET posted:

My players are having some trouble with space combat. The shooty people understand how to shoot the guns, and the social characters understand their lot in life, but actually my pilot(s) are feeling underwhelmed. Specifically the Pilot asked "what can I do" and my answer was... not very much? There doesn't seem to be much as far as actual pilot checks to be made during space combat. One of the players suggested we try and run it a little slower, so we're more precise about speeds, ranges, facings, etc, and to get some minis or models or something.

So FFG has a minis game, but that's pretty expensive, and also I'm limited to whatever FFG has produced. There are Wizards Starship Battles minis I can find online, which is cheaper, but same problem of being limited to what I can get. I don't wanna go so abstract and just pick up a random object like a drink coaster and say "this is your YT-1300." Does anyone have any idea? I have a printer, I could print something out, but I don't think I'd want to just find pictures of the ships and print them out, would I?

Vehicle/space combat is definitely the weakest part of the game, but it can still be fun. First thing, is that, oddly enough, space combat should never be in a vacuum. There should always be terrain of some sort or something complicating it, like an objective or something. The back of Stay on Target has some great ideas for that. I also recommend listening to this Order 66 episode, good stuff. Keeping track of facing and all that makes the combat more interesting, in my opinion, and makes all the shield shenanigans more worth it. I do recommend houseruling Gain the Advantage somehow, like making it last more than 1 round or turning it into a maneuver. It will still be wonky, but our campaign right now is pretty space-combat focused and we've made it work pretty well with just that change.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Having made a droid for a game it struck me that there is only one thing stopping you from making a droidekar as a starting character. Money.

Shooting class like Assasin, Sniper or Heavy, stack ranged heavy, agility and brawn, built in heavy armour and personal deflector shield and built in heavy blaster rifle.

So i just need to find the factory where they were made for the start of the Droid Liberation Army

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Foxtrot_13 posted:

So i just need to find the factory where they were made for the start of the Droid Liberation Army
Doorhandles would be your main weakness.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
A volley of heavy blaster shots does tend to make doorknobs irrelevant.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ibntumart posted:

A volley of heavy blaster shots does tend to make doorknobs irrelevant.

Magnetically sealed doorknobs: bane of all droidekars.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So we had our first game as an all droid party last night. The GM had a solid fifteen pages of prepped material on infiltrating a neb-b and disabling the hyperdrive, lots of subterfuge, combat, etc.

So of course, we came in on a shuttle with only two lifesigns on it, had a malfunction where some debris and us were blown from the shuttle due to an accident. Landed on the hull, crawled over to where the hyperdrive is, quickflash'd our way in. Bob's your uncle. It was pretty amazing.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Why would you prep 15 pages for a single session jesus christ

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Flame112 posted:

Why would you prep 15 pages for a single session jesus christ

To be fair there was a lot going on, you know, if the party needed air.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So a player in my group, this is his first time playing an RPG, wheras the rest of us have all played before. He's not super familiar with Star Wars either, so we have to kind of hold his hand through a lot of story stuff. I've decided to make the source of his Obligation a pseudo villain for the party (also another player is basically his Chewbacca so two players share this obligation). Anyway, the player in question, he's a Scoundrel - Thief. The obligation is debt - an imperial officer is holding his family hostage/for ransom. I asked him in our Facebook group what he did to the guy to make him abduct his family, and he just responded with "housing market collapse."

I've decided that the imperial officer in question is the planetary governor of the planet Teth, capital of the Baxel sector, which nominally includes Hutt Space (where the players are now thanks to the adventure in the Core book). They're currently smuggling some space weed to him because they killed his supplier and he's a huge playboy that needs his space weed for his legendary parties.

But housing market collapse, wow. I'm thinking Teth would experience a bit of a boom as Imperial bureaucracy moves in, but then maybe a bubble burst causing prices to fall. And somehow my thief got in on the action? And screwed this guy over? I did just see a Law & Order episode where a swindler stole info of a guy that owned his house full and clear, took out a mortgage on the house, took the cash, the home went into foreclosure, the dude who owned his home gets evicted. Also I assume that holding family hostage would be expensive, maybe he's using the family as house servants or something?

Is there something else housing related my player could have stolen from the governor?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

The Scoundrel bought a fixer-upper and flipped it to the Governor. Unfortunately, he used really, really substandard parts and labor and now the thing's a money-pit. The Governor wants his money back plus interest.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Depending on how big you want the debt, instead of home/homestead, make it a recreation/garden asteroid/station that caters to the super rich. They were banking on a wave of gentrification and expansion. But then the hurts moved into the system and that sector fell out of fashion on Coruscant, leaving the PC holding the bag for this huge investment property/money sink.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Arcturas posted:

Depending on how big you want the debt, instead of home/homestead, make it a recreation/garden asteroid/station that caters to the super rich. They were banking on a wave of gentrification and expansion. But then the hurts moved into the system and that sector fell out of fashion on Coruscant, leaving the PC holding the bag for this huge investment property/money sink.

?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My only concern with something on a larger scale is that he's a Thief not a Scoundrel. It probably doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but swindling someone as a sleazy contractor/developer sound much more like a scoundrel thing rather than a thief. But I'm not sure how much the player is invested in being a "thief" vs just a smuggler in general.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Who cares? The class labels aren't really that important in the grand scheme of things. Plus maybe he started as a scoundrel and is now more of a thief and later will do more scoundreling.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

FISHMANPET posted:

My only concern with something on a larger scale is that he's a Thief not a Scoundrel. It probably doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but swindling someone as a sleazy contractor/developer sound much more like a scoundrel thing rather than a thief. But I'm not sure how much the player is invested in being a "thief" vs just a smuggler in general.
Well, he could've stolen the deeds to a property at the centre of a huge buyout at the peak of a bubble. When the deal collapsed, so did investor confidence and the market went with it- leaving him with a worthless piece of paper.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Anyone have a good video that walks through some of the basics? I just picked up the Edge of the Empire core and beginner games. While I've read through it, seeing someone play/explain might answer some of the simpler questions I have.

I wanted to be a bit further down the learning curve from my players before running the beginner game with them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This has some of the basics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRRtP3m-Scw

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
If I have Age of Rebellion, is Edge of the Empire or a couple splats a better investment? And if the splats are best, which would you suggest?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If I have Age of Rebellion, is Edge of the Empire or a couple splats a better investment? And if the splats are best, which would you suggest?

We need to know what you're interested in. If you have one core book, oggdude's character builder can fill in the details from the other book.

My favorite splats so far are Suns of Fortune and Lords of Nal Hutta, but I'm a GM. They have tons of good ideas in them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It honestly really depends on what sort of game you're looking to play. Overall, you only really need a single core book, as the base rules are the same between all three sister systems. If you're looking to run Empire vs rebelliion style games, then AoR will be just what you need. If you want more information on playing fringer characters, you may want to go ahead and pick up EotE.

As for splats, there are three different categories:

Career Supplements - These have 3 additional specializations for a given career along with plot hooks, obligations, and gear suited for said Career. So far, AoR only has one of these released, Stay on Target for the Ace career, but EotE has career supplements out for 4 of its 6 careers.

Premade Adventures - EotE has 2 of these, AoR 1. Each is a 3-act campaign to take players through. There's always been split opinions on pre-made adventures..some GMs love them for taking a lot of the burden out of running a game, others hate them for railroading players and limiting creativity. I haven't run the adventure for AoR, but that one in particular I remember seeing some bad press about.

Setting Sourcebooks - AoR currently doesn't have one of these, but EotE has one for Hutt Space and one for the Corellian system. These are fantastic resources for detailed information about their respective locations; complete with more player species, and little adventure hooks on planets in said sectors.

I would personally recommend picking up a career splat for a career you're interested in playing (or have players in your group that use), as well as a setting book (for AoR, i'd tend to recommend the Corellian book over the Hutt one).

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Could I use the setting books for Edge of the Empire easily for a Age of Rebellion game, or are they tied fairly close?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Could I use the setting books for Edge of the Empire easily for a Age of Rebellion game, or are they tied fairly close?

If nothing else you can lift a lot of the basic location information (this sector has X planets, ruled by Y forces, and have Z natural features) for any campaign you wanted. The adventure hooks seem a little focused on "what would a bunch of smugglers, thieves, and other fringe types be getting up to in this end of space", but it shouldn't be too hard to reflavor those. Worst case scenario, you have your AoR party 'go undercover' and basically play the role of fringers despite being soldiers.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Okay, that's fair. Also, given that I'm likely to DM, are the little NPC cards worth it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Okay, that's fair. Also, given that I'm likely to DM, are the little NPC cards worth it?

YES YES YES YES YES

I cannot recommend the adversary cards enough. They're so handy for when your players decide to go off the rails and encounter some NPC that you had to invent on the fly because of COURSE the spacedock has some head guy in charge but gently caress if I actually gave him stats or whatever for making checks against, and what's this you want to get in a fight with him now too??

Its so nice to just pull out a card that matches the type of character your party has encountered and having a reasonable and balanced stat block on hand.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I loving love the adversary cards. They are super useful for quick NPCs and present all the info the way I need it.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Going to state I love the adversary cards as well. I use them for on the spot npcs, despite making stats on the fly as well. If anything else, they give a good guide line for fun encounters.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
So is there a way to know what's at the end of your hyperspace jump? Like if a group of ships or mines are waiting at the end of a charted route? Is that something that could be sensed with a check or what?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Looselybased posted:

So is there a way to know what's at the end of your hyperspace jump? Like if a group of ships or mines are waiting at the end of a charted route? Is that something that could be sensed with a check or what?

I don't think so.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Looselybased posted:

Nope.

Well technically if you have a buddy in that system they can message you on holonet before you set out; I don''t know if you can send or receive holonet messages in hyperspace.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Servetus posted:

Nope.

Well technically if you have a buddy in that system they can message you on holonet before you set out; I don''t know if you can send or receive holonet messages in hyperspace.
According to the Über nerds at Wookipedia, maybe?

quote:

In addition to navigational hazards, there was also the difficulty inherent in communicating with a starship while traveling at hyperspeed. Since ships in hyperspace did not exist, in a conventional sense, they were largely cut off from conventional radio or subspace communication, since wavelengths of any signal would be massively distorted even if they reached the vessel. Hypercomm signals could reach a vessel in hyperspace, however it was very difficult to communicate in even this fashion unless the signal was sent from one end or the other of the traveling ship's course, or between ships on the same course.

The same difficulties presented to communication also applied to sensors; it was nearly impossible to maintain sensor lock on a vessel in hyperspace, which made escape to lightspeed a very robust retreat option in most engagements. The only option available for pursuit was generally to plot several courses along the target's last known vector, and try to guess where the ship would come out of hyperspace for course corrections. This was generally a losing strategy, of course, since most ships wishing to avoid pursuit would plot a short jump, followed by a longer one to the destination at a different vector before enemies could arrive. The best option was to place a homing beacon on the enemy ship, but at large distances only HoloNet-equipped tracking devices were useful, and these were fantastically expensive.

An interesting phenomenon associated with hyperspace travel was Cronau radiation. This was a short, but powerful burst of radiation which was generated when a ship entered and left hyperspace. It could be detected by properly aligned sensors from a few light-seconds away, often well outside normal sensor radius. This was how the Rebel base on Hoth was able to prepare for the oncoming attack when Admiral Ozzel mistakenly took the Executor and its battle fleet out of hyperspace too close to the system, rather than approaching stealthily from outside the system.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

Looselybased posted:

Depends on your astrogation check in my games because what better way to use a despair to get away from one Imperial fleet, and end up meeting another Imperial fleet.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

I ask because I found this adventure online that I'm running and at one point you're giving the PCs a choice of different hyperspace routes through a system. I don't understand why they would be given a choice if they wouldn't know what's waiting for them on the end of those routes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Looselybased posted:

I ask because I found this adventure online that I'm running and at one point you're giving the PCs a choice of different hyperspace routes through a system. I don't understand why they would be given a choice if they wouldn't know what's waiting for them on the end of those routes.

I don't know the adventure, but if I were writing it, I'd give the players the choice between 3 or 4 possible routes, either based on the results of their astrogation check or to determine the difficulty of it (gonna have to give that part more thought)

The simplest and easiest course is a straight line path from center of origin system to center of destination system, set to drop you out of hyperspace well clear of the star itself. This has the benefit of being simple and easy to remember or program, and routes between hub systems like Coruscant, Corellia, Kuat, Dac, etc would probably come preprogrammed into navicomputers and astromechs. The downside is that if someone were to be hunting you or whatnot, that's the easy place to lay an ambush.

Then you have more complicated routes, ones directed at a specific planet in-system, or to destinations that don't have a big convenient central gravity well like asteroid belts, secret deep space rendezvous and the like. Those will require more time to calculate and lay in, but otherwise aren't that much more difficult. The space equivalent of taking a backroad or detour rather than the interstate. Someone could still set a trap or follow you, but not as easily as the first method.

Then there's multi-step jumps, bouncing in different directions before finally heading to the intended destination. Lots of math, lots of chances for something to go wrong, lots of reversions to realspace where something could be going on that prevents you from jumping back to hyperspace, but nigh impossible to track or follow. Maybe they pursue you for a leg or two, but not to the final destination.

Then we get to the wacky stuff, like plotting brand new hyperlanes, super long distance jumps, courses past black hole clusters, pulsars, or into the galactic core. This is where things get interesting; as there's virtually zero chance of anyone following you or laying it wait for you at all...but the very fabric of spacetime becomes the enemy, and you run the risk of popping out somewhere extremely hostile, or nowhere near your intended destination.

For bonus flavor and just to make this post a comprehensive guide on types of hyperspace jumps, we can talk about microjumps too. Getting from one end of a system to the other without actually going through the intervening space...jumping past a blockade and into the upper atmosphere of a planet, tiny jumps within an interdiction field using a HIMS system, all sorts of tiny jumps that navicomputers are gonna tell you are impossible to calculate or too dangerous to attempt.

And finally there's the blind jump into hyperspace that will take you to God knows where, and you'll arrive God knows when. Do not do this. That way lies madness.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

jivjov posted:

I don't know the adventure, but if I were writing it, I'd give the players the choice between 3 or 4 possible routes, either based on the results of their astrogation check or to determine the difficulty of it (gonna have to give that part more thought)

The simplest and easiest course is a straight line path from center of origin system to center of destination system, set to drop you out of hyperspace well clear of the star itself. This has the benefit of being simple and easy to remember or program, and routes between hub systems like Coruscant, Corellia, Kuat, Dac, etc would probably come preprogrammed into navicomputers and astromechs. The downside is that if someone were to be hunting you or whatnot, that's the easy place to lay an ambush.

Then you have more complicated routes, ones directed at a specific planet in-system, or to destinations that don't have a big convenient central gravity well like asteroid belts, secret deep space rendezvous and the like. Those will require more time to calculate and lay in, but otherwise aren't that much more difficult. The space equivalent of taking a backroad or detour rather than the interstate. Someone could still set a trap or follow you, but not as easily as the first method.

Then there's multi-step jumps, bouncing in different directions before finally heading to the intended destination. Lots of math, lots of chances for something to go wrong, lots of reversions to realspace where something could be going on that prevents you from jumping back to hyperspace, but nigh impossible to track or follow. Maybe they pursue you for a leg or two, but not to the final destination.

Then we get to the wacky stuff, like plotting brand new hyperlanes, super long distance jumps, courses past black hole clusters, pulsars, or into the galactic core. This is where things get interesting; as there's virtually zero chance of anyone following you or laying it wait for you at all...but the very fabric of spacetime becomes the enemy, and you run the risk of popping out somewhere extremely hostile, or nowhere near your intended destination.

For bonus flavor and just to make this post a comprehensive guide on types of hyperspace jumps, we can talk about microjumps too. Getting from one end of a system to the other without actually going through the intervening space...jumping past a blockade and into the upper atmosphere of a planet, tiny jumps within an interdiction field using a HIMS system, all sorts of tiny jumps that navicomputers are gonna tell you are impossible to calculate or too dangerous to attempt.

And finally there's the blind jump into hyperspace that will take you to God knows where, and you'll arrive God knows when. Do not do this. That way lies madness.

This is good stuff. Thanks!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Looselybased posted:

That's the one my party totally cheesed with droids I believe.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
So how silly would it be to try converting the old Star Wars Saga Edition Dawn of Defiance campaign to this system? I've given the AoR basic game a quick read, but have no actual experience playing or running the game yet.

But godammit, I want to just once run a campaign where the party doesn't implode before even leaving Sel Zonn Station in the first act. I don't care how off the rails it goes from there.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ibntumart posted:

So how silly would it be to try converting the old Star Wars Saga Edition Dawn of Defiance campaign to this system? I've given the AoR basic game a quick read, but have no actual experience playing or running the game yet.

But godammit, I want to just once run a campaign where the party doesn't implode before even leaving Sel Zonn Station in the first act. I don't care how off the rails it goes from there.

Take the core plot line and scenarios but just completely rework all encounters. Players can handle waaay more than a saga edition character but have trouble with early armour unless they have bigger gear. For example the first fight where you bump into the Rebel Spy, the stormtroopers might be a pain but just gunning down hordes of people in less armour is no problem .

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ibntumart posted:

Man, I have had this same thought several times. Perhaps a goon collaboration to do a conversion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jivjov posted:

Man, I have had this same thought several times. Perhaps a goon collaboration to do a conversion?

If we want to do a big proper conversion we should set up a player handbook thing and give a big guide to tying in obligations first then convert the rest IMO. I dont know if people are up for all this though lol.