Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

FrozenVent posted:

The Ohio replacement needs an organic CAP capacity.

I think there are schemes afoot to let it launch UAVs out of its missile tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think there are schemes afoot to let it launch UAVs out of its missile tubes.

torpedo tubes I think, but yeah...

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

SybilVimes posted:

torpedo tubes I think, but yeah...

I see the red against the sky and can only think that Southwest has found a new way to reduce turnaround time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Much delayed Sun 'N Fun pictures:

UH-60 and C-130J

Haaaaawwwwgggg

Sex

P-8 Poseidon

We actually got a tour through this one. I can only imagine that it's light years better than sitting in the back of a P-3 for hours on end.

Berlin Airlift Memorial C-54

Gave em the $3 to walk through, has a cool museum inside, with some artifacts, and stories of both flight crews and German locals.

The C-54's navigator's desk

Slightly simpler, nowadays... :v:

PT-6 repowered C-47

:smuggo:

The following three are from the seats on top of the FSDO building. The airboss is pretty much the only one with a better view of the airshow itself.

Gratuitous Sea Dart

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MrYenko posted:

PT-6 repowered C-47

:stare:

I need to be inside of that thing

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
It never occurred to me that P-47s would come with 'some assembly required', but here's the official USAAF video on how to assemble your newly purchased P-47:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2D3k0sJ8HM

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

MrYenko posted:

Much delayed Sun 'N Fun pictures:

:smuggo:

For a second there I thought Asiana was running flights to Lakeland.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

It never occurred to me that P-47s would come with 'some assembly required', but here's the official USAAF video on how to assemble your newly purchased P-47:

Great I was going to head down to Ikea, this'll come in handy!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SybilVimes posted:

I know there was that rumor of buried Spitfires in Burma, but how cool would it be that in some forgotten corner of a depot somewhere there are crates of brand new Jugs (or whatever) next to crates of cosmoline slathered rifles.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

I really love how much they emphasize that reading the instructions must be done first. I kind of want to see the blooper reel from before that got stenciled on the crates and added to the procedure.

Not that I've ever had to go digging in the garbage for instructions after the fact or anything.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Acid Reflux posted:

This applies to some smaller mil-contract civil aircraft as well. It's amazing what you can get away with after applying a single "Experimental" sticker to the side of a King Air 350.

From conversations with folks that used to fly for me, getting a bird x coded with FAA wasn't a fun process.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

I know there was that rumor of buried Spitfires in Burma, but how cool would it be that in some forgotten corner of a depot somewhere there are crates of brand new Jugs (or whatever) next to crates of cosmoline slathered rifles.

:haw:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SybilVimes posted:

"The bolts holding the wing are brought to the correct tension with a two-finger pull on an 8" wrench with at least three threads showing." Calibrated torque elbow for life!

"Kerosene or another suitable solvent...." not a glove nor goggle in sight. No gloves for the propeller locknut lube of castor oil and WHITE LEAD. I hope there's at least some direction to wash hands at some point.

I love everything about this and halfway wish we could still do aircraft maintenance this way. However, someone found out we were putting a lot of pilots into shallow aluminum graves by forgetting tools in flight controls, not torquing things, and just generally being slapdash. I think the significantly lower mishap rates are a good thing.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
...did the 1960s and 1970s just assume nobody wanted to wear pants at work?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Davin Valkri posted:

...did the 1960s and 1970s just assume nobody men wanted women to wear pants at work?

Yes

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
So that's why flying was so much more pleasant when I was a kid...

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Do a GIS for 'Airasia hostess'. Those uniforms are still a thing in Asia.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Davin Valkri posted:

Does anybody?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Davin Valkri posted:

The one hyping they got right.

Seriously, I'm laying in bed right now and I was just saying to myself that I don't mind going to work so much, I just don't feel like putting on pants.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

The one hyping they got right.

Seriously, I'm laying in bed right now and I was just saying to myself that I don't mind going to work so much, I just don't feel like putting on pants.

THERE'S GOTTA BE A BETTER WAY

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I seriously wonder how the not-that-pretty ladies looked in those sillyass clothes. Surely it'd have been awkward?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The not-that-pretty ladies didn't get hired as stewardesses

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
A reminder for DC goons, the WW2 flyover is this friday. I'm going to try and park somewhere off GW to watch, hopefully the lots are open and not full.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
God drat, look at all that leg room.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dead Reckoning posted:

Check out the guy in shades. :dealwithit:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
More from Southwest: First class legroom and cocktails for everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR7JApjgIGw

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 5, 2015

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
How many aircraft were damaged as a result of static discharge from all that Polyester?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
PSA for the pretty ladies: don't take unauthorized sexy pics in your uniforms!

Or maybe do...

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Davin Valkri posted:

If I didn't run the risk of razor-sharp, red-hot metal hitting me in the dick, I wouldn't wear pants when practising my trade.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MohawkSatan posted:

If I didn't run the risk of razor-sharp, red-hot metal hitting me in the dick

You say this like it's a bad thing :quagmire:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Tremblay posted:

From conversations with folks that used to fly for me, getting a bird x coded with FAA wasn't a fun process.
I honestly don't have any idea what it takes to make that X happen, but as far as the ones I've encountered are concerned, it appears to simply be a variable that's applied to the last line on the budget spreadsheet. I imagine it's quite a bit different if you don't have access to near-bottomless government funding.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
From what I've heard the hard part comes if you ever try to get rid of the X.

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

sanchez posted:

A reminder for DC goons, the WW2 flyover is this friday. I'm going to try and park somewhere off GW to watch, hopefully the lots are open and not full.

I wish that I could be there. Hopefully, it will be like Rolling Thunder (motorcycle event) and they'll let you pull over the edge on the parkway to watch the fun.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Dead Reckoning posted:

And there's so much space between each row of seats, too!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've taken two flights on 717s operated by BLUE1 over the last week and have noticed something strange that I haven't noticed with AirTrans' fleet.

When takeoff thrust is applied the recirculation system seems to shut off. The over seat blowers stop and the vents along the overhead bins go quiet. In fact the whole cabin gets eerily quiet. It stays like this during climb out, my ears popping all the the way, until just after the 10k feet announcement.

This happens again on decent, the recirculation stops and starts seemingly randomly during decent.

What's going on here? Are they waiting to pressurize until they pass 10k to save money or something?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32604552

The interesting one is the maximum set altitude - maybe he was considering depressurisation?

I know this is a navel-gazing piece of journalism which is trying to gain traction off of what's by now old news, but it's interesting in that detail, I feel.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

I wish the news would stop harping on the depression aspect and further stigmatising the condition. Committing mass murder isn't a symptom of depression or even manic depression.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Jealous Cow posted:

I've taken two flights on 717s operated by BLUE1 over the last week and have noticed something strange that I haven't noticed with AirTrans' fleet.

When takeoff thrust is applied the recirculation system seems to shut off. The over seat blowers stop and the vents along the overhead bins go quiet. In fact the whole cabin gets eerily quiet. It stays like this during climb out, my ears popping all the the way, until just after the 10k feet announcement.

This happens again on decent, the recirculation stops and starts seemingly randomly during decent.

What's going on here? Are they waiting to pressurize until they pass 10k to save money or something?

These systems depend on bleed air from the engines; bleed air comes from the first stages of the compressor. They're turned off for any situation where you might need every last pound of thrust from the engines: take off is obvious, but if you have to go around on a landing, you might need lots of thrust in a hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I wish the news would stop harping on the depression aspect and further stigmatising the condition. Committing mass murder isn't a symptom of depression or even manic depression.

This is quite true. I think the real psychological motives are too complex for the media to grasp, so they've settled on "depressed -> suicide."