Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Maybe you can bring agents back from the dead somehow? Or at least as some of the old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Theswarms posted:

You can recruit corrupted heroes as agents.

I don't know if you can recruit multiple peddlers or anything like that though.
Reading between the lines it sounds like in the base game you only ever get one of each of the unique agents but they needed to design something around that for endless mode which might filter back.

I expect if you are shedding so many agents to be on track to run out, you are probably leaving enough clues to be on track to lose before then.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

:siren: Mod tools released. :siren:

Just a basic package so far without the map creation stuff, so you can't place PoI's and play around with that but you can do everything else, including creating the PoI's themselves.

Also here's a nice little piece to show off some of the new portraits.

Edit: gently caress nevermind, it's just an asset viewer :v: Can't actually create stuff yet. But it's something! I'm trawling through the assets and it's so pretty :3:

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 4, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yuh-oh, some of those things are not original.

E: Though honestly, the ones that I'm recognizing from elsewhere (and able to find), the people who made them probably don't give a gently caress.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 4, 2015

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Orv posted:

Yuh-oh, some of those things are not original.

E: Though honestly, the ones that I'm recognizing from elsewhere (and able to find), the people who made them probably don't give a gently caress.

I wonder if its just placeholder, or if some artist was having trouble meeting his deadlines and decided no one would reconize it anyway.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean I should probably be ashamed for recognizing any of it (which I do nine of them), so hey. It's basically all stuff from third party PnP books, so it's not like anyone is going to get litigious over it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Conot posted:

I wonder if its just placeholder, or if some artist was having trouble meeting his deadlines and decided no one would reconize it anyway.
The Ibliss doesn't have the text that the book cover version does so I wonder if they bought stuff out of a fantasy artwork version of Shutterstock or from artists who retained rights.

If not I hope they get a refund because I thought the point of the Kickstarter cash was better art?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The place I recognized the Ibliss from also has a text-less copy, so I assume it's a scan from inside the book in question.

And yeah, a lot of that stuff looks better than what they had, but also $15 Deviantart commissions level stuff.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Will this game be coming to Steam?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

khy posted:

Will this game be coming to Steam?

Steam is the primary distributor with GoG being an unconfirmed second.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
Its' been Greenlighted, but i don't think they're gonna put the beta/EA version on Steam, IIRC.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Josh is claiming they bought a bunch of stock icons, so that may explain some of the familiarity.

Orv
May 4, 2011

1stGear posted:

Josh is claiming they bought a bunch of stock icons, so that may explain some of the familiarity.

That'd be even more hilarious if a bunch of Were For Real Printed game books just used stock, terrible fantasy art.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Orv posted:

That'd be even more hilarious if a bunch of Were For Real Printed game books just used stock, terrible fantasy art.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this were true, third-party pen and paper RPG supplements are usually funded by the loose change the writer dug out of their sofa.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So out of all the funding they have they are still not able to get completely new icons for people? Dang.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Have the devs gotten this modding tools business out of their system, or can we expect the next videos being about map resources instead of gameplay?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A half hour video talking about the comparative value of gold, wood, and sheep.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Normal Adult Human posted:

A half hour video talking about the comparative value of gold, wood, and sheep.

Oh so THAT's how they get the elder gods back to sleep.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Normal Adult Human posted:

A half hour video talking about the comparative value of gold, ore wood, brick and sheep.

FTFY, the Elder God Catan will broach no intrusion into his isle of plenty.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

So out of all the funding they have they are still not able to get completely new icons for people? Dang.

Some of them are quite nice I'd say. Hopefully those are the ones that the artist(s) have had time to do and the rest are just placeholders from some cheap fantasy art pack somewhere.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Asked about the book cover stuff:

Josh posted:

Those are from the Cerberus collection - they're a "goto" for publisher stock art. We have no plan to replace stock icons with custom art - there's absolutely no way we could have the variety of assets we have without dipping liberally into what sources are available, and stock art is a great way to get quality art cheap.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well I dunno about quality, but it's better than the MSPaint stuff they had before, and the provenance isn't actually important so long as they don't get in trouble for it. Roll on beta.

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011
One video left about events I think?
Thursday release of working mod tools and end of May hopefully the beta.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Updated mod tools released although they still aren't complete says dev.

e:
Either I'm stupid or I can't really do anything with the tools, not even save.

Uhh. I can save tags but it isn't too intuitive.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 8, 2015

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011
Yeah...it's basically just a few more assets and nothing else. Yeah, you can make minions and tags but without anything to compare it is useless.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So, okay, let me get this straight. First they made the game. Then they constructed mod tools, with which they then proceeded to recreate the game (because :confused:), only the mod tools aren't even complete yet?

This seems all a bit arse about tit to me.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

So, okay, let me get this straight. First they made the game. Then they constructed mod tools, with which they then proceeded to recreate the game (because :confused:), only the mod tools aren't even complete yet?

dev posted:

Big Issue - Due to the rework their is no "Core" class inside this release, I haven't had any time to write a quick update tool to update the serialized class (which I have to do everytime I change the structure) - normally I wouldn't release without that but since there's no time left at the moment we'll have to do without it for now. This means there won't be any traits/tags/skills already in the editor, and some things may not respond properly without the core file being present. It's safe to ignore it and just move along with what you are working on as you can always return to what is causing the problem (I noticed skills and traits don't work for Minions, for instance).

It seems to be due to the Core stuff being reworked rather than incomplete mod tools being used to create the game.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Also that they are treating kickstarter backers like they are shareholders and working on the things the vocal people want. Fine with me, I've had my fill of unfinished early release games.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Autonomous Monster posted:

Dude threw his engine in the trash and started over because he kickstarted for art assets and accidentally got like 70k

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm pretty excited for this game, and it doesn't help that I'm currently re-reading the Black Company books (which heavily feature an ancient evil re-awakening and manipulating the world to try to get released from its prison). I backed it on KS because the pitch was great, and the snippets of design they are showing hypes me more every time, but it does all seem to hinge on them making a decent AI so I hope it works out.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
It also hinges on them making a game instead of just mod tools.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Sekenr posted:

Well, my biggest problem is lack of some sort of distinct style. I guess I want everything to look a little more "eldritchy" but everything is generic as gently caress.
(excuse spelling problems, I've ben drinking a gently caress ton)

Not to bitch too much about the art, but yeah. IT looks photoshoped. That's bad. It should be more stylized or even painterly?
That, or textured (but not 90s style if you get my drift).

Like, yes, it's all photoshoped, but the cartographers guild?
http://www.cartographersguild.com/content.php
They have good stuff. I say, have your artist take inspiration from this site's top works.

Right now, it looks like a photoshop render.
Which pains me, because that's "easy" to fix, but hard to do.

I just feel like...
You're going for cthulu. Why does the map look so artificial?
Why does it look bland and plain?

I'm not saying it needs to be medieval, but if you'r setting IS about that era, then go with it! Be inspired by it! The maps should be loaded with style and character.
Right now it feels like 2000's era map making in photoshop. Nice, but lacking that certain...zing! Honestly, it looks like someone followed a tutorial even though I know and understand it took a lot of effort to do this. Like, it looks okay, just artificial. The artificial is what's bad. This is not your game. The aesthetic should be more ...detailed, I guess.

I can also just shut up, because I 'm drunk as hell. But that's just my opinion. Please mind you, I like this game and am interested in it~!

Sober Edit: VVV Haha, I don't know what I was thinking but that made me laugh!

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 13, 2015

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dad you promised not to do this

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

There was some talk about different style maps for the custom scenarios. You can also import your own maps to overlay into the hex grid, hell you could scan your five year olds doodle and call it a map in this game. I believe the current map generator is tuned towards the procedural generation and endless game modes.

Here's an example of a custom map for the North Burns scenario they released a while back.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So quick ask to anyone who is in the beta but has anything come from the Devs over the last few weeks?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's no beta and josh is on vacation so he didn't update this week and god is dead.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I take it, no gameplay video this week either?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Sigh... Every time I see a new post in this thread, I think it's a huge announcement.

But it never is.

That is not dead, which can eternal lay in development

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

josh posted:

Back and back to work. I don't see any questions but I can see people are upset at the recent silence.

The silence did mean that work was not moving ahead at a reasonable pace, which of course means that we are behind. As we are entering our third month of delays this is unfortunate, but at the moment there is nothing I can do to resolve it except get back to my regular work schedule and proceed. I am not worried about the state of the project though I am definitely not pleased with the delays, even if they are somewhat justifiable.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Between this and Enemy Starfighter I might as well just learn to hibernate bear style.

• Locked thread