Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Fight Marquez and then both of you retire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Also you could have found the fight boring but if you didn't get goosebumps when they were standing across from each waiting for the fight to start and the crowd was going nuts your dead inside, and not in a cool ironic way

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Dangersim posted:

Also you could have found the fight boring but if you didn't get goosebumps when they were standing across from each waiting for the fight to start and the crowd was going nuts your dead inside, and not in a cool ironic way

I didn't watch the fight but that moment was all I ever wanted since Pacman starched Barrera

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the algeria players in the world cup who were muslim postponed ramadan or something so they could play. i wonder if khan could do something like that

i mean he does coke so it's not like he's the most ardent muslim around

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Ward is fighting on BET?! The gently caress? Is there any way to stream that legally?

Can you watch fights the next day on the HBO streaming service? I'm close to ponying up for shows + boxing.

I don't have cable either and as far as I know there's no legal way to watch BET online, but I've never had a reason to before now so maybe there's a way. Supposedly HBO didn't want to option a Ward tune-up fight.

I don't know enough about the HBO Now streaming service they're offering to answer one way or the other. I would have to assume you can at least watch fights the day of, and their boxing matches tend to get replayed a few times over the course of Saturday night and Sunday. The on-demand service HBO GO is fairly good about putting up their fights quickly, I don't know about next day though. I also have no idea if HBO Now also gives you access to their on-demand catalog.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this made me do a little lol

Humanist Manifesto
Feb 18, 2009

Death To No One.
Peace Be Unto All.

kimbo305 posted:

On the SA forums level, I hope even 1 or 2 of the casual viewers of the PPV come into this thread and ask questions or ask about classic fights. The MMA thread maintains a list of fights on Youtube for people to watch to get them into the sport. Boxing's back catalogue is way deeper, but it would help those new people decide if they want to stick to the sport.

Speak of the devil!
Watched the PPV out of curiosity more than anything, was excited as hell throughout the whole thing and actually thought Mayweather's defensive technique was beautiful to witness (I remember sitting around the living room with my dad and catching a fight here and there thinking "Floyd is FAST!"). Is that a common style or is it something he "owns", so to speak? I'm curious on how to go about diving into this world of boxing that I admittedly never thought about before the lead-up to Saturday. Any latecomers who were in the same boat at one point? :shobon:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Humanist Manifesto posted:

Speak of the devil!
Watched the PPV out of curiosity more than anything, was excited as hell throughout the whole thing and actually thought Mayweather's defensive technique was beautiful to witness (I remember sitting around the living room with my dad and catching a fight here and there thinking "Floyd is FAST!"). Is that a common style or is it something he "owns", so to speak? I'm curious on how to go about diving into this world of boxing that I admittedly never thought about before the lead-up to Saturday. Any latecomers who were in the same boat at one point? :shobon:
it's the shoulder roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCiVNJ60RyA

toney and and a couple of other guys have used it, but mayweather does the best job of combining it with footwork in order to keep the other boxer at a perfect range to counter

e: floyd's defense is absurdly and somewhat coldly effective but pernell whitaker was much more entertaining lol i love this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1t2yAK_wU

here's pernell vs. floyd's uncle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sFrv9CHPcU

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 5, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

The SituAsian posted:

Pacquiao out 9-12 months due to shoulder surgery per ESPN crawl.

drat Floyd is gonna get us two more times.

"This is my last fight ever, I'm gonna tie the record, blablabla" OK fine,you got us.

*1 year later*

"Well, Manny wasn't at full strength last time, and I am going for 50-0, so I guess I will give him another shot."
Me: Goddamnit!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

If you want to watch another current defensive genius Guillermo Rigondeaux is your man.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm starting to notice a funny pattern on social media: the "Boxing is dead" cries are bringing boxing back to life for lots of people.

Eg, my mom of all people linked a discussion to me in which someone had linked Hagler-Hearns in a "back in my day boxers boxed like men... boxing is dead" tone. The discussion began with circle jerk, but then someone pointed out that it's unfair to use one of the most action-packed first rounds in boxing history as a point of comparison against a bout featuring a defensive fighter with a famously low finishing rate. Other fighters, such as GGG and Kovalev were brought into the discussion. Matthysse vs Provodnikov was linked. By the end of the thread the people who had originally been circle jerking were conceding "oh hey, these fighters and fights are actually pretty cool..."

I've seen this general pattern repeat a few times now: "Boxing is dead" leading to people admitting that they hadn't looked at boxing in a while, and then rediscovering boxing.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Going to die laughing if Manny gets in trouble for not disclosing his injury. Also going to die when all the dopes buy the rematch and complain when Floyd wins again.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Had a discussion yesterday with a dude who does not watch boxing, telling me that Floyd is just someone who figured out how to game the rules and is not in fact good at boxing. Evidence: DLH and others complaining that he "runs", especially after he beats them. Also that even though he out-threw and out-landed Manny, this is irrelevant cuz he is throwing pitter-patter point sparring punches that don't hurt. Compared him to people in jiu jitsu tournaments who get to North-South and then stall.

I liked it better when people didn't watch boxing.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I like how everyone ignores those loving ridiculous right hands and left hooks he landed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

I like how everyone ignores those loving ridiculous right hands and left hooks he landed

Make a gif of a bunch of those ones where he obviously rattled Manny. (e. because you're right and I want to link it to people who complain)

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
There is now talk of Manny facing perjury charges for lying on the NSAC form. It very obviously will never happen, and is very obviously the NSAC responding to the idiotic conspiracy theory Manny and his camp floated post-fight, but I can't stop laughing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ESPN Push Notification posted:

Boxing: Two Las Vegas residents have filed a class-action lawsuit against Manny Pacquiao for concealing shoulder injury

:rolleyes:

I hate this town. We are the John Boehner of cities, I guess.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This is the funniest of developments. Both out of boxing come this time next year, and one will be because of jail. Boxing's back

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

http://www.boxingscene.com/roach-wanted-delay-healthy-pacquiao-beats-mayweather--90660

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-says-hell-give-pacquiao-rematch--90652

get hyped

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Lol there was a class action suit filed against manny

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I'll watch it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

I don't think Mayweather / Pacquiao 2 goes much differently than the first but I'll watch it, and frankly it might even be a little better when instead of every rear end in a top hat on Earth having an opinion on it it'll feel more like a boxing match than the Burger King's big night out.

But if they try to drum it up as bigger than the first match, i.e. selling tickets for a higher amount and trying to break the PPV record again & other horse poo poo, they can go gently caress themselves.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

God drat, that's going to be his big 50th fight isn't it?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'll watch it for $29.99, but no way there is a different outcome.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think Mayweather / Pacquiao 2 goes much differently than the first but I'll watch it, and frankly it might even be a little better when instead of every rear end in a top hat on Earth having an opinion on it it'll feel more like a boxing match than the Burger King's big night out.

But if they try to drum it up as bigger than the first match, i.e. selling tickets for a higher amount and trying to break the PPV record again & other horse poo poo, they can go gently caress themselves.

Yeah, that fight's a lock to be at least .001% less financially/viewership successful than the first. If it happens, which I still doubt.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
list of fighters that have come off looking better after another 12 rounds with Floyd:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Marching Powder posted:

list of fighters that have come off looking better after another 12 rounds with Floyd:

I'd say it would be harder for Manny to look worse than he did in the first fight. Floyd still wins but I gotta believe a healthy Pac makes it slightly closer

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A healthy shoulder would help, but a year of ring rust won't.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Was this the first time the Burger King walked out a fighter? I'm pretty sure one of the fight night games used him as a trainer, who would then walk you out.

Yup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bXX0USfC4

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i dunno but i was kinda pissed we didn't get a rap concert this time

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

does anyone have that gif of rigondeaux hitting donaire with a long hook/jab kinda punch and then parrying an uppercut in the same movement? can't find it anywhere

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Speaking of rigo/donaire, did we ever find out what drugs the ringside journalists were on to think that fight was close?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dangersim posted:

Speaking of rigo/donaire, did we ever find out what drugs the ringside journalists were on to think that fight was close?

Nobody thought that was close.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

Nobody thought that was close.

During the fight lampley (?) said someone from press row gave him a note or something saying many of thought it was extremely close. This was late in the fight too.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

dan rafael scored it to rigo by one round

edit: also one judge gave it by a round and the other 2 were only by 3 and 4. they were probably trying hard to rob him

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

thehappyprince posted:

edit: also one judge gave it by a round and the other 2 were only by 3 and 4. they were probably trying hard to rob him

Madness

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

I vaguely remember this. Overshadowed by 'at least the result was right'. It was a loving annihilation though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

How much will the Alvarez fight be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

How much will the Alvarez fight be?

However much you pay for HBO.

• Locked thread