Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Scheme
Apr 28, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

...which was a fantastic game. The cheat codes were hilarious, too.

It's on GOG now.

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_galactic_battlegrounds_saga

So is Rebellion

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_rebellion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

KayTee posted:

I have never heard anyonetalk about Star Wars: Supremacy (or 'Rebellion' for you weird foreign types)

I freaking love that game, and I'm constantly wondering if I never hear people talk about it because it's either that unknown, and I'm totes being a hipster or because it's actually a bad game and I never noticed.

fake edit: Just found it listed as #9 on a 'Worst Ever Star Wars games' list. I guess I know my answer now. :(

Here's an excellent LP of that game by a goon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, where you play as Jango Fett. I think it's the only game I ever had one of the Prima strategy guides for.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There were many good Star Wars games. It's one of the few big franchises that has had consistently good games churned out for it, even during the Prequel years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember spending many hours playing the Episode I game on the PS1. Some of the NPC voice actors in that game were having a great time.

"You better stand back, mister, because I'm about to SLASH ... ALL MY PRICES!"

On the other hand, I also had Yoda Stories on the Game Boy Colour, which was pants.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

To this day I'm grateful that the prequels exist if only because we got Racer, Starfighter, and Republic Commando.

What happened to Star Wars games, anyway? After the Force Unleashed came out, they just sort of..... dried up. You used to be able to count on at least two or three every year, but the only ones I can think of that have come out since 2008 are TFU2 and The Old Republic.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, there's a new Battlefront coming.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, where you play as Jango Fett. I think it's the only game I ever had one of the Prima strategy guides for.

I remember renting that and enjoying it quite a bit. Out of all the console games, though, I think I played Demolition and Jedi Power Battles the most, followed closely by the Battlefront games.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

IronicDongz posted:

Well, there's a new Battlefront coming.

And that's the first AAA title since TOR, right? I get that after Lucasarts shut down there would be a lull, but for the last four or five years of its existence it was mostly cranking out low-effort crap like Star Wars Angry Birds and Kinect and some Clone Wars-related shovelware. Were people just not interested in Star Wars games after 2008?

EDIT: Oh, I can't believe I forgot about Lego Star Wars. Never played them, so I can't vouch for their quality, but was that where all their money was going?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 5, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Both are part of an amazing bundle for the next day or so:
http://www.gog.com/promo/may_the_4th_star_wars_blaster_bundle_280415

EDIT: \/ the way they handled the "I am your father" scene is amazing.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 5, 2015

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I can vouch for the quality of Lego Star Wars. It's ridiculous light-hearted fun. The combination of a story told without dialogue and slapstick comedy reminds me of a silent film.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

And that's the first AAA title since TOR, right? I get that after Lucasarts shut down there would be a lull, but for the last four or five years of its existence it was mostly cranking out low-effort crap like Star Wars Angry Birds and Kinect and some Clone Wars-related shovelware. Were people just not interested in Star Wars games after 2008?

EDIT: Oh, I can't believe I forgot about Lego Star Wars. Never played them, so I can't vouch for their quality, but was that where all their money was going?

Did LucasArts even have much involvement in most of those? Angry Birds is by Rovio and the Lego games are Traveler's Tales.

The Star Wars: Commander mobile game is alright, if you don't mind Clash of Clans clones.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There are absolute tons of things in Lego Star Wars that I dislike design-wise, but I played it all the way through anyways because those games are a prime example of how you can make currency/currency-type stuff really satisfying to pick up. I think the fun of blowing up tons of props and grabbing a ton of pegs just barely manages to beat out blowing up a lot of crates/breakables in Ratchet and Clank and grabbing tons of bolts, partially because of the visual of the shiny pegs flying into the upper left but more than anything because of the lovely sound it makes when you run over a ton of them.

You can basically turn a game from bad/ok to good/great just by having really satisfying pickups, I think.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the blooper reel they made for it. Clancy Brown is a treasure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsuGCK3dGX8

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyP posted:

Did LucasArts even have much involvement in most of those? Angry Birds is by Rovio and the Lego games are Traveler's Tales.

Short version: No.

Less short version: LucasArts went from being the number-one company for adventure games in the 1990s to working almost exclusively on Star Wars games after Grim Fandango failed to meet its commercial expectations, but since the prequel films were still ongoing at the time, they were able to capitalise on that. However, after that wave started to die down, they began scaling back operations and by the time of the Disney acquisition, LucasArts had effectively ceased to function as a producing studio in its own right and mostly existed to licence out new Star Wars games.

Long version: Ask someone else.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr. Plinkett returns to talk about the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93uSIKzPmik

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

A good video. Especially the jab at Red Tails.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Garbage video. They show the reaction clip and didn't bother to composite Rich Evans jerking his droid in one of the windows. loving hack frauds. Worse con-men than Adam Sandler (allegedly).

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
New episode! I talk about ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT QUEER FILMS EVER, 1961's Victim!

For bonus points, read this magazine article and try not to feel incredibly depressed at how Dirk Bogarde, a closeted gay man playing a gay character, was forced to present himself to the world. :smith:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Garbage video. They show the reaction clip and didn't bother to composite Rich Evans jerking his droid in one of the windows. loving hack frauds. Worse con-men than Adam Sandler (allegedly).

That droid was raped (on camera at least) only to the first trailer not the second.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Jimbot posted:

You're not getting the pizza roll.

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 6, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Linkara reviews Avengers: Age of Citron

You can read the comic here

Considering he threw this episode together in three days, research, filming and editing combined, this is genuinely one of the best one's he's done in a while IMHO - if only because the material is bizarre. I'm kinda blown away that a comic about about a superhero mascot for orange juice is actually competent! Better than those godawful 'road warrior' Harly Davidson comics that have been polluting my books over the last few months.

Saying that, the Leader is supposed to be red right now, and cap and iron man are at odds with eachother over Secret Wars - so I take it back. Worst comic ever.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Why doesn't he just wear different clothes? No one cares about his "brand" and he looks like a tool. That can't be how he really dresses. What kind of person only owns cheap, untailored brown suits?

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Why does Linkara speak so loud? It's like he's always on the verge of screaming.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Under the vegetable posted:

Why doesn't he just wear different clothes? No one cares about his "brand" and he looks like a tool. That can't be how he really dresses. What kind of person only owns cheap, untailored brown suits?

I'm sure people actually do genuinely care knowing how the internet is. And it's sort of his 'character' anyways like how The Nostalgia Critic and AVGN always have the same attire barring special circumstances.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Supposedly fans of DSP have complained that he got rid of some couch that used to be in his videos. I'm sure there would be a lot of backlash if Linkara wore different clothes.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

PiedPiper posted:

Why does Linkara speak so loud? It's like he's always on the verge of screaming.

Its really annoying. I lasted a whole ten seconds into that video.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Tracula posted:

I'm sure people actually do genuinely care knowing how the internet is. And it's sort of his 'character' anyways like how The Nostalgia Critic and AVGN always have the same attire barring special circumstances.

I've...got the same outfit :(
There's two reasons. 1 - "brand recognition", especially if you're playing a "character." 2. The most important reason, and one that David Attenborough himself does - is that it helps with editing. If you have to shoot footage on 2 different days it's not hard to remember to just put the same thing on.
I suppose another reason is that some people like having a uniform, as it means they don't have to think about what clothing they're going to wear, whether that's for a video, or going to work, or whatever else.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Leal posted:

fans of DSP

This sequence of words makes no sense to me. It's so bizarre I can barely even make out the individual letters.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

PiedPiper posted:

Practical answer - I don't think he uses a lapel mike.

Probable 'pulling it out of my rear end answer' - p.sure Linkara either has or had a mild speech impediment/lisp. (Im mean - one worse than his accent) Check his early videos. There's a good chance he just knows that ENUNCATING LOUDLY CAN HELP YOU SPEAK CLEARER.

Most likely answer - SHOUTING IS FUNNY JUST ASK DOUG!! *fires pistol/magic gun in the air*

He has gotten louder over the years. Makes his actual shouty moments stand out less. But then he doesn't often talk about character design, art composition, panel layout and storytelling problems that often any more either. I guess he's just evolved to best suit his audience... *sigh*

He changed his uniform last year!

It took an inter dimensional tyrant and a sentient computer virus to get him to do it!

Jeez, you want the frickin' moon on a stick, you do!

KayTee fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 6, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I thought DSP just had a large army of insanely dedicated trolls.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sorry, but what is DSP?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe DSP is DarkSydePhil, an LPer of some notoriety.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sorry, but what is DSP?

He is a youtube Let's Player who plays a lot of videogames for the internet, despite being very very bad at videogames and being constantly enraged by his failure at videogames.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
All you need to know about DSP is that he's a grown adult who still blames his controller when he loses fighting games online. He will then call anyone who beats him either a scrub or a fat loser who is too good at a video game.

To go into more detail: DSP's biggest problem is that when he fucks up or dies in a game, he will immediately jump to it being bad game design or some sort of malfunction with his controller even if it was entirely his fault. He does this for every single game he has ever played.I think making 5 hour long compilations of his poo poo is kinda weird, but I've never in my life seen someone play games worse than him.

Like, he'll play Metal Gear Solid 2 and the game will straight up say "Don't bump into or touch enemies while disguised or you'll be caught" and he'll immediately jump into the first guard he sees and start screaming about how unfair it is because the game never told him that would happen.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 6, 2015

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

KayTee posted:

Practical answer - I don't think he uses a lapel mike.

Probable 'pulling it out of my rear end answer' - p.sure Linkara either has or had a mild speech impediment/lisp. (Im mean - one worse than his accent) Check his early videos. There's a good chance he just knows that ENUNCATING LOUDLY CAN HELP YOU SPEAK CLEARER.

Also some voice styles need projection to happen. I've done the occasional announcing gig and have a few voices I can call upon depending on context including the "deep dramatic" voice and it surprises people who are used to my regular voice. Friends have asked me why I don't speak like that in daily life, and all it takes is about five seconds of talking to them at conversational range to explain why. When speaking voices come from the diaphragm they usually come in pretty loud.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Sometimes folks have "ACTING VOICES." That's why I sound different in OLP videos versus more conversational vids. Maybe it's the camera that brings it out, I don't know.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

All you need to know about DSP is that he's a grown adult who still blames his controller when he loses fighting games online. He will then call anyone who beats him either a scrub or a fat loser who is too good at a video game.

To go into more detail: DSP's biggest problem is that when he fucks up or dies in a game, he will immediately jump to it being bad game design or some sort of malfunction with his controller even if it was entirely his fault. He does this for every single game he has ever played.I think making 5 hour long compilations of his poo poo is kinda weird, but I've never in my life seen someone play games worse than him.

Like, he'll play Metal Gear Solid 2 and the game will straight up say "Don't bump into or touch enemies while disguised or you'll be caught" and he'll immediately jump into the first guard he sees and start screaming about how unfair it is because the game never told him that would happen.

Basically, you know how people complain that games recently force hand holdy tutorials? DSP shows why its needed. He couldn't figure out how to use rations in MGS2 for a few hours despite pushing every button EXCEPT L2. Multiple times there will be instructions on screen that he'll flat out ignore then complain about the game never explaining things.

He can fail missions in ways I never knew were possible: You know the mission in GTA5 where Franklin goes to the gun shop and Llamar says "Hey get the shotgun with a flashlight on it"? He buys other things and fails the mission because he ran out of money and yells about how he was supposed to know to buy the shotgun. Did you know in San Andreas you can fail a mission by being locked in a freezer with another NPC? I would think its all a big act except the guy bought a new car and put a down payment for a house in a gated community and expects youtube and twitch money to cover it all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leal posted:

I would think its all a big act except the guy bought a new car and put a down payment for a house in a gated community and expects youtube and twitch money to cover it all.

:stare: Sometimes I wonder if I'm being a sucker for making law school my target...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Miss Wallace posted:

Sometimes folks have "ACTING VOICES." That's why I sound different in OLP videos versus more conversational vids. Maybe it's the camera that brings it out, I don't know.

A fun thing that I've noticed is that a lot of LP-ers who do live commentary (well at least when I watched them the most a few years ago) start out with a fairly dramatic voice but sound a lot more casual towards the end of the video.

• Locked thread