Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Araki just phoned me to tell me it's now 101% canon. 36 Kars and they're all on Mars (and one of them has Killer Queen).

Jokes aside, poo poo sounds like an experience if nothing else and the snippet I've read of Buddy Waters' in progress translation describing how DIO survived was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nessus posted:

Wasn't the lira still a thing during the period of Vento Aureo? A yen/lira comparison isn't too inaccurate...

Yeah it was still lira.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Dio coming back as Jesus is not a bad theory given that his body was likely locked away with the Corpse.

Begemot posted:

No, see, it's gonna be Johnny's head on alternate Dio's body, and he'll have the World + spin powers.

Or Jesus' head on Dio's body.

Diego's body was run over by a train, and Alt DIO's was obliterated from coming into contact with Diego's head. It'd be cool if he came back, but there really want much of him left at the end.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I don't know why everyone always seems to forget that the coffin had a false bottom.

Nah that part makes sense, the weird part is the bottom apprantely had a giant coffin with a pimping DIO lock.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

If it was true it'd be funny because then Johnny was just whispering to a Diego-Jesus to please help him

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Honestly I think that bringing back Mr. Brando in some incarnation or another again would be one time too many. He is the main villain of two arcs, the final boss of a third, and is directly responsible for the plot of part 6. Araki can be way more original than relying on Dio again. Bringing back Diego with The World for the final leg of the race through Brooklyn wasn't necessary for the plot, which as people have said was already pretty much resolved by killing Funny Valentine, but it was awesome as gently caress so I don't care.

Since we're fighting rock people now, maybe the villain will be a reworking of Cars.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Honestly I think that bringing back Mr. Brando in some incarnation or another again would be one time too many. He is the main villain of two arcs, the final boss of a third, and is directly responsible for the plot of part 6. Araki can be way more original than relying on Dio again. Bringing back Diego with The World for the final leg of the race through Brooklyn wasn't necessary for the plot, which as people have said was already pretty much resolved by killing Funny Valentine, but it was awesome as gently caress so I don't care.

Since we're fighting rock people now, maybe the villain will be a reworking of Cars.

I mean, isn’t DIO indirectly responsible for every part so far (with the exception of Part 8)? His meddling with the stone mask wound up waking up the pillar men, him collecting the arrows wound up bringing them to Morioh and Italy, and Part 6 and 7 are pretty obvious.

I may be misremembering how the arrows got to Morioh / Diavolo though. Same with the Pillarmen.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

how is Dio responsible for part 7?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

He's responsible for the universe resetting at the end of Part 6. If that reset universe is the same as the SBR universe, then I guess his ambitions led to the universe being reset and then SBR happened there?

Edit: I don't think you can hold him accountable for the Pillar Men waking up again though, they were prophesied to return in 1938 regardless of Dio's vampire shenanigans 50 years prior.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 5, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Butt Ghost posted:

Didn't he help Valentine close in on Lucy Steel?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

he turned into a dinosaur and made fun of johnny for not eating rocks

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and made a really bad joke about snakes

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Butt Ghost posted:

Yes, let's talk about how the Irene universe is the SBR universe :getin:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Diavolo was in Egypt and dug up the arrows, and then sold them to Enya.

And I think Araki has said that the SBR Universe is NOT the universe created at the end of Stone Ocean. That couldn't be the case because there's no direct 1:1 genetic Jotaro equivalent in the SBR-verse, who would need to exist to be Irene's dad.

In SBR I was initially confused about why Johnny had light hair when he should have theoretically been identical to Jonathan.

Then I quickly stopped after I realized I was thinking about it too hard, Speedwagon already had an oil company by 1890, and Avdol, Enya and Stroheim were born decades too early.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 5, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
One way or another, Dio has left his imprint on everything pre-Part 8. He was the villain of Parts 1 and 3, and directly influenced the events of Part 6. He was underwater for Part 2, but one of his lingering minions killed Joseph's father. In Part 4, Okuyasu's dad turns out to be another of his minions, and one of Enya's arrows winds up in Kira's possession. In Part 5 we get his son. In Part 7 we get Diego.

The overarching malignant presence in Jojo has always been Dio. It's almost unifying in a way, which is what makes Part 8 such a huge break. For the first time in the series, there's the possibility that Dio may have nothing to do with this.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
At the start of Part 1, the narrator says "This is the tale of two youths, a stone mask and the ties that bind them. " or something like that. It's fun to think about how this story that's currently about a guy with four balls started with a real jerk of a kid trying on a stone mask.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kabanaw posted:

Yes, let's talk about how the Irene universe is the SBR universe :getin:

The "Irene-verse is not SBR-verse" Araki quote is supposed to be somewhere in this image.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bad Seafood posted:

One way or another, Dio has left his imprint on everything pre-Part 8. He was the villain of Parts 1 and 3, and directly influenced the events of Part 6. He was underwater for Part 2, but one of his lingering minions killed Joseph's father. In Part 4, Okuyasu's dad turns out to be another of his minions, and one of Enya's arrows winds up in Kira's possession. In Part 5 we get his son. In Part 7 we get Diego.

The overarching malignant presence in Jojo has always been Dio. It's almost unifying in a way, which is what makes Part 8 such a huge break. For the first time in the series, there's the possibility that Dio may have nothing to do with this.

This is a much more accurate version of what I was trying to say

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vento Aureo's good do-over has had some pretty nice progress over the past month. 4 new chapters.

469: http://bato.to/read/_/312031/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo_v50_ch469_by_jojos-colored-adventure
470: http://bato.to/read/_/313910/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo_v50_ch470_by_anonymous
471: http://bato.to/read/_/313912/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo_v50_ch471_by_anonymous
472: http://bato.to/read/_/313914/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-5-vento-aureo_v50_ch472_by_anonymous

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Aurain posted:

The "Irene-verse is not SBR-verse" Araki quote is supposed to be somewhere in this image.

I don't see anything about that. He mostly talks about the game and says something about parts 4 and 8 being set in the same town but in different universes. I haven't read it carefully because I'm not that fluent with Japanese, so maybe I missed the part where he says that, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I defer that to your better judgement. I only saved it because someone said that it did say that

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
What does Dio meddling with the mask have to do with the pillar men waking up?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Broseph Brostar posted:

Didn't it result in the archaeological dig that found Santana?

Although it seems unrelated to the Nazis finding the other three Pillar Men.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Well, if it weren't for Dio, the pillar men probably would have ended up conquering humanity, so there's that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

The stone mask was created by the Pillar Men. Their creation, their "Negligence" was what allowed a monster like Dio to come into being. Dio isn't directly relevant to the awakening of the Pillar Men, no, but the Pillar Men function as callbacks to Dio.

When a bunch of masks are recovered in Mexico, Dio is everyone's point of reference for what they want to avoid. When the connection between the Pillar Men and the mask is made clear, we understand immediately and intimately how terrible the Pillar Men must be by using Dio as an immediate measuring stick, understanding now that the Pillar Men are a good degree greater in threat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jojo, these guys are like, at least five Dios!

If Dio is used as a unit of measurement, then how many Dios is DIO?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

DIO is equal to ten Dios times the number of seconds The World can stop time, minus a third of a Dio for forgetting that laser eyes Are A Thing.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why didn't DIO just stab Jotaro while time was stopped?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Only a fifth, the rest is all Jonathan.

cmykjester posted:

He tried and Jotaro punched a whole through his chest through a jewelry store window.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 5, 2015

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

cmykjester posted:

He did, a bunch.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The Dio influence theory is fine, but personally I feel like everything with the Arrows and SBR (which is unrelated to Pt6) are outside of his influence. The Gravity that draws Stand users together would've ensured that the Arrows got where they needed to be and created what users were created. Like with Part 4 I give him credit for Mr. Nijimura and Crazy Diamond, but most of the other events didn't need him at all. At the very least, an alt-Morioh would only be as different as the SBR parallel universes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's not about whether he's needed or central to the conflict of the part, it's just that he's always "There" in some form or fashion. Even after his defeat, the aftereffects of his evil still linger on in the world of the story. Usually in this kind of thing, you defeat the bad guy and that's it, the world is saved. Forever. By contrast, I like how even long after Dio is dead and gone, a footnote in history, the Joestars are still running into things distantly connected with him because the man's actions outlived the man.

What SBR presents is a chance to nip Dio's evil in the bud before it can blossom, which is exactly what happens.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

hoobajoo posted:

DIO is equal to ten Dios times the number of seconds The World can stop time, minus a third of a Dio for forgetting that laser eyes Are A Thing.

Eye lasers proved to be unable to handle glass and freezing his body failed to lighting your hand on fire.

Dio was smart to ditch that part 1 stuff.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Speaking of Diego

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...MP=share_btn_fb

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

It's not about whether he's needed or central to the conflict of the part, it's just that he's always "There" in some form or fashion. Even after his defeat, the aftereffects of his evil still linger on in the world of the story. Usually in this kind of thing, you defeat the bad guy and that's it, the world is saved. Forever. By contrast, I like how even long after Dio is dead and gone, a footnote in history, the Joestars are still running into things distantly connected with him because the man's actions outlived the man.

What SBR presents is a chance to nip Dio's evil in the bud before it can blossom, which is exactly what happens.

You might say his conflict with Jonathan created. . . . ripples. And all of JoJo through part 6 at least is following the effects of those ripples.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

I can't speak for those scans since I don't care to read them, but jojo project's "do-over" is not related to them and it was less than ideal. Maybe those are less bad, who knows. Except for the recolored scans, gently caress those even if the TL isn't bad.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 6, 2015

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

There's no way you can't convince me the title isn't a Jojo's reference.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

There's no way you can't convince me the title isn't a Jojo's reference.

The word "bizarre" comes from one of the scientists quoted in the article, but I do wonder if the reporter chose it for the title on purpose.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

You two know that word is fairly common right?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Try convincing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Everything is a Jojo reference.

• Locked thread