Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Ehh, the best part of 1946 was cooking up ridiculous missions to throw up on a goon server.

That, and TB-3 jousting.

I'll wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I will not be at all surprised if Battle for Moscow ends up being the same thing. A great flight simulator with no game.

The mission editor works quite well if you don't mind figuring it all out yourself, since there's no manual and the usual smugly toxic forum community sims always attract.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Ehh, the best part of 1946 was cooking up ridiculous missions to throw up on a goon server.

That, and TB-3 jousting.

I'll wait.

probably never going to see that in these new games. you'll have to spend days dicking around in their complex editor. none of that "whip up an entertaining mission in fifteen minutes while waiting for goons to plug their joysticks in" or whatever

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Thief posted:

If you want to go online and fly with other people it's one of the best games for it but if you're looking for anything other than "here's something to shoot at go get it and enjoy our excellent flight model" then wait I guess.

Specifically, if you want to fly online with other people, against other people.

For PvE and especially coop there's basically nothing above the level of "tech demo." As was said, even DCS has more gameplay depth than BoS, and there's a reason why the modern sim goons are more into that old Falcon game than DCS.

Also, planes in this game don't seem to catch fire or explode apart from cannon shells as easily as in IL-2: 1946 or War Thunder Sim Battles. Dunno if that's more realistic or not, but it's less satisfying.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
There's isn't even the option of coop. BoS supports Single-Player, Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch missions. Of course the editor does let you specify any of the large variety of missions that Rise of Flight supported but only the Deathmatch and Single-Player options will function. You can effectively make a coop mission by creating a deathmatch mission and just not placing any spawn aircraft for the other team and scripting the mission to end when your team does whatever it needs to. Even the campaign is just a random mission generator that spits out a real mission file that gets loaded by the game when you press fly. You can see it in the mission folder, its the one called _gen.

Misplaced comas lead to misunderstandings in air combat:

Sauer fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 5, 2015

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shine posted:

Also, planes in this game don't seem to catch fire or explode apart from cannon shells as easily as in IL-2: 1946 or War Thunder Sim Battles. Dunno if that's more realistic or not, but it's less satisfying.

I can count the number of times I've managed to blow a wing off something on one hand. Keep in mind, that's with boatloads of shells into attack/bombers. In some cases, I should have virtually hacked the wings off before managing to just jam an alieron/kill an engine and send whatever opposing plane into a death spiral.

It's bad to the point where I've actually started attacking tails instead, because elevators/rudders seem a lot easier to knock off.

For that matter, I've only had two kills to fire, and one death.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I'm usually able to blow wings off by diving or climbing steeply into the target and aiming for the wing root or main spar; but that takes some ridiculous aiming. If I'm coming in from a sharp enough deflection to see a nice big wing in front of me I'm going to aim for the propeller spinner instead and watch my shells turn to cockpit into a tin of dog food.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

For those who never played it, this is what often happens in IL-2: 1946 when you nail somebody with a cannon burst (:h: Seafire):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2Fsoh5u1U

Realistic or not, it feels so good. :allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure that's more realistic than having to aim super accurately at just the right part of wing. Spitfires, 109s and 190s all had 20mm cannons with a mix of high explosive and armour piercing rounds in them. Often one shot would be enough to wreck your plane into a state where bailing out was the only sane choice. Getting hit by a burst of 10+ rounds like that and any ww2 plane is shredded to pieces.

What's funny is, reading the old old docs on the original IL-2, they actually scaled back on the damage. Something like "yeah, taking a 20mm round into your engine compartment wrecked pretty much the entire thing in real life every single time, but we'll scale that back a bit, because games are supposed to be more gamey".

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
If you like combat sims and haven't played 1946 or don't have it on your computer at all times you should be ashamed of yourself and also pick it up on GoG.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why GoG specifically? Something wrong with the steam version?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The GoG version is DRM-free.

All the cool kids still have boxed copies. :cool:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I never not have 1946 installed. I might not play it for a month or two, but sooner or later I'll boot it up, even if to just hop into the gladiator and do a couple circles around the map.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The only important questions are: does 1946's Thunderbolt build and maintain energy in a dive? And can it load laser beam bullets?

In War Thunder my baby feels like its flying through molasses when diving and immediately shits out all its smash the moment it levels out. Zeros can out dive it :psyduck:. I forgive it because eight fifties loaded with API-T is a hilarious disco show.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Sauer posted:

The only important questions are: does 1946's Thunderbolt build and maintain energy in a dive? And can it load laser beam bullets?

In War Thunder my baby feels like its flying through molasses when diving and immediately shits out all its smash the moment it levels out. Zeros can out dive it :psyduck:. I forgive it because eight fifties loaded with API-T is a hilarious disco show.

I know the P-40 in 1946 feels great, so the Jug probably does as well

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why GoG specifically? Something wrong with the steam version?

Well, it's been awhile but when Team Daidalos was updating the game regularly GoG was pretty drat good at updating the game to the latest version, most of the time within the first day of an official patch dropping. Steam was always behind by days or weeks.

Also, the Steam version hosed with some files (like they always seem to do), so their il2setup.exe doesn't work properly and also I recall some folders for paintschemes/skins are missing in their install which can create problems viewing peoples skins in multiplayer. Not game breaking poo poo, but marks I have against the Steam version compared to GoG.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

The GoG version is DRM-free.

All the cool kids still have boxed copies. :cool:

I have the DVD case of 1946 and then I have all the individual CD cases for each expansion when all that poo poo was first released :getin: Installing that game was a nightmare.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Shine posted:

Specifically, if you want to fly online with other people, against other people.

For PvE and especially coop there's basically nothing above the level of "tech demo." As was said, even DCS has more gameplay depth than BoS, and there's a reason why the modern sim goons are more into that old Falcon game than DCS.

This is pretty much the reason I won't be getting BoM or pretty much anything in this series again until goons are Having Fun In Airplanes.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So i just had a birthday and i got some extra cash from the fam to throw around and im on the precipice of ordering the track IR.

I guess the question i have is what should i be expecting for BOM?
Is BOM gonna be actually worth getting or are we just getting the same game slightly re-skinned?
Also are they planning on making the oculus rift work with it? That would be kind've a gamechanger.
If so gently caress it id much rather wait and get the OR and then live out my fighter pilot dreams for the glory of the motherland in full 3d.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Its basically a $100 expansion pack: 10 new planes and a new map. It will play with BOS so you can fly all the planes from both games if you own it. Not sure why you would ever choose the 109E when you have a F4/G2 to fly.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Rift support has been planned all along, and I think it might actually be in already. Not sure.

Battle of Moscow will have new content (and is only $60 if you don't feel the need to be ~premium~) but I don't think goons are going to start playing the game until there's a good selection of coop missions (or someone takes it upon themselves to start making them).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah I won't be buying another game in this series until I see goons playing it regularly. I've been burnt twice now.

Does this poo poo heap allow us to host our own servers yet?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sauer posted:

Yes on both. Though for laser beam bullets, you want to fly russian or german. Germans have blue cannon tracers. Russians have empire green machinegun tracers.

I-15 is literally TIE-Fighter.

Allies generally have boring red tracers.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Probably the thing I was most looking forward to in cliffs of Dover was customising fabulous rainbow tracer load outs.
At least we got 12 megapixel trousers

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Banano posted:

Probably the thing I was most looking forward to in cliffs of Dover was customising fabulous rainbow tracer load outs.
At least we got 12 megapixel trousers

Don't forget the appropriate shade of grey for 1940's tower bridge.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Splode posted:

Does this poo poo heap allow us to host our own servers yet?

Yes it does. Though being Russian developed its rear end backwards. You need to send them a support ticket to get a dedicated hosting account.

I rather like BoS and even I'm not giving them a dime for Battle of Moscow until I find out their flight simulator has a game in it somewhere. Or at least a well written manual for the bloody mission editor.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I too rather like BoS. There's a genuinely great core there, but they really need to attach something to do with that core.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

In the meantime, is there still a goon group that plays 1946?

e: Seafire is still great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT3UcszbYIs

Shine fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 6, 2015

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Shine posted:

I'd reinstall it if there were enough people who'd be down for it.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Shine posted:

I've been playing co-op campaigns using the Dynamic Campaign Generator with a friend who just got IL-2 and I'd be down for having more people. If anyone's interested, add me on Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/gullah_jack/

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I advice against buying this game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I advice against buying this game.

Same.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Agreed. 1946, on the other hand, I'm going to reinstall because it's fantastic.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I'd be down for more 1946. Never uninstalled. :getin:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I have BoS now and 1946. I am very down for goon antics in either.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I would reinstall 1946 for goon flights. BoS I'm just fizzled out on

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
1946 resurgence.

It's too bad that Scorched Earth poo poo was such a pain in the rear end

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'm interested in flying BoS or 1946, though I don't have a ton of free time these days and I'll probably stop showing up if we end up replaying the same missions (or missions which are indistinguishable) over and over.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Best thing about '46 is we can make our own dumb skins and everyone gets to see them.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Shanakin posted:

Best thing about '46 is we can make our own dumb skins and everyone gets to see them.

But muh immersion. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

darth cookie posted:

But muh immersion. :argh:

hank_hill_pilot_face.jpg