Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Godholio posted:

If she had kids, they were probably murdered in front of her.

Her baby made it. The father didn't.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/05/04/new-offensive-frees-captives-from-boko-haram-exposes-group-bloodlust/?intcmp=latestnews

quote:

As many as 10 girls were stoned to death last week as rescuers closed in on the terrorist group's stronghold in the Sambisa forest in the northern Borno state. Survivors told of their harrowing escape from the terror group, which claims to be aligned with ISIS.

"Boko Haram came and told us they were moving out and that we should run away with them. But we said no," 27-year-old Lami Musa, a former captive who recently gave birth while being hostage, told The Associated Press. "Then they started stoning us. I held my baby to my stomach and doubled over to protect her.”

It is still unclear if any of them were among the so-called "Chibok girls," whose mass abduction from their school a year ago sparked outrage worldwide and a campaign for their freedom under the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls.

Musa said that she believes about 10 women may have been stoned to death, but official numbers were not immediately known.

Musa was in the first group of rescued women and girls to be transported by road over three days to the safety of the Malkohi refugee camp, set up at a deserted schoolhouse near military barracks on the outskirts of Yola, the capital of northeastern Adamawa state. She said that last week's rescue saved her from a forced marriage to one of the killers of her husband.

"They took me so I can marry one of their commanders," she said of the Boko Haram militants who snatched her away from her village after killing her husband and forcing her to abandon their three young children five months ago in Lassa village.

"When they realized I was pregnant, they said I was impregnated by an infidel, and we have killed him. Once you deliver, within a week we will marry you to our commander," she said.

The women and girls who were stoned at the hands of Boko Haram militants were not the only one to perish during the rescue efforts. Some, who could not fit onto packed military vehicles, were forced to walk, according to Musa. Although they were told to walk in the tire tracks made by the convoy because Boko Haram militants had mined much of the forest, some strayed from the ruts and died when a land mine exploded, killing three, she said.

Also, Boko Haram militants often wear sandals for some reason. I bet they stub their toes a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

William Bear posted:

Also, Boko Haram militants often wear sandals for some reason. I bet they stub their toes a lot.

Sandals and flip-flops are really common in Africa, mainly because they're extremely easy and cheap to make compared to full on shoes or combat boots. There's been a lot of efforts to make and send very cheap sandals to Africa due to the sheer lack of shoes in developing nations.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

The second TOW kill in this video is pretty impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhzvtDwafhY

So much snackbar

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Look at the feet of the guy on the far right.

Burn them all.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
IDK man if all I owned was sandals and a pair of socks I wouldn't be picky either

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Brown Moses posted:

That was pretty good. ~3k meters away according to the comments.

Are they shooting Syrians?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Iraqi EOD best EOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAFizySXJwk

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I'm loving retarded but I don't care, I'm beautiful. I'm having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me "Apache" and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can't accept me you're a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

These are the older TOW 1's because the warhead isn't firing from above the tank into the turret, right? Where are they getting these? Egypt?

Risket fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 5, 2015

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Risket posted:

These are the older TOW 1's because the warhead isn't firing from above the tank into the turret, right? Where are they getting these? Egypt?

They aren't the TOW-2Bs, which are the missile variant that does the top down attack. It's also not an ITAS system, you can see that it doesn't have the PADS that the ITAS does, which means it's one of the older systems they're rocking. As for where they're getting the equipment :iiam:. Undoubtedly somebody else knows a bit more than I do on that, I just know the ITAS, having the great fortune of being in a heavy weapons company for four years and never seeing one fired.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

As for where they're getting the equipment :iiam:.

:nsa:

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Risket posted:

Yeah, older TOW , likely came through Libya, prior to the fall of the Gaddafi.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Pesticide20 posted:

I just know the ITAS, having the great fortune of being in a heavy weapons company for four years and never seeing one fired.

sorry breh :peanut:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Back to tank-talk.

Is there really any benefit in armour vs. armour combat with going above 120mm or so? I was under the impression that modern tanks now days were pretty much going to get penned no matter where they are hit given the size and speed of the tank shells being used for the past 40 years or so. I can see how going up to 152mm would be beneficial when using HE against soft targets like buildings and APCs, but are Russian 120mm's really not enough to take on M1A's and Leos?

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Speaking of easily penetrated vehicles. They are using T-34s and Su-100s in the current Yemeni civil war.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
125mm, and, possibly, no. I think it was already mentioned but penetrator length has been physically limited by the carousel autoloader system on Soviet/Russian tanks. Also, composite armor has alledgedly gotten a lot better since the Cold War ended. New laminates and material combinations, aided by ever better computer design, means that kinetic protection in the frontal areas at least has gotten pretty monstrous.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Richard Bong posted:

Speaking of easily penetrated vehicles. They are using T-34s and Su-100s in the current Yemeni civil war.

It continually blows my loving MIND that those 70 year old AFVs get driven off of plinths and used in active loving combat zones after an oil change

Where the christ are they getting ammo for that SU100?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

It uses the same shells as a T-54 iirc so it can't be that hard to get a hold of. The 85mm on the T-34 would/should be the rare poo poo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
New Call Of Duty levels lookin good:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/05/middleeast/syria-kobani-rising-from-ashes/index.html

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MA-Horus posted:

It continually blows my loving MIND that those 70 year old AFVs get driven off of plinths and used in active loving combat zones after an oil change

Where the christ are they getting ammo for that SU100?

I know that when they resurrected an IS-3 in Ukraine, it was just used as a remote machine gun platform.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I thought I wandered into the war thunder thread for a second

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Bolow posted:

It uses the same shells as a T-54 iirc so it can't be that hard to get a hold of. The 85mm on the T-34 would/should be the rare poo poo

I bet North Korea makes ammo for it.

And most likely sold some to them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Next question is whether that would be better or worse than WWII surplus.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I would buy those with that flag, the US flag, an EGA or even better, the Civil Air Patrol emblem

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I want one of these with an American flag for my desk at work.

The AF wings logo would work too.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

The new russian t-14 tank.

That turret is an abomination.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ded posted:

The new russian t-14 tank.

That turret is an abomination.

gunner sabot tank

fire and adjust

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Isn't that a lot of flat spots for the turret?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Was that second one a kill? Didn't see the cookoff like on the first one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If nothing else they probably cooked off in their pants.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ron Jeremy posted:

Was that second one a kill? Didn't see the cookoff like on the first one.

If it penetrated at all, the guys inside are probably dead or close to it even if the ammo and fuel miraculously didn't cook off.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Would spalling be a thing in a situation like that?

I remember watching a video on that at the Bovington tank museum and it was loving terrifying

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Would spalling be a thing in a situation like that?

I remember watching a video on that at the Bovington tank museum and it was loving terrifying

lovely soviet era export tank? probably so

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
How comparable to current model western tanks is that new soviet tank?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Richard Bong posted:

Anybody who actually knows ain't telling.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Richard Bong posted:

supposedly weighs 48 tons which is light as poo poo for a mbt and theoretical top speed of 50mph

also the turret isnt manned, its all remote control and its suppose to have had more thought put into crew comfort and survivability than previous russkie poo poo

who actually knows anything about its real capabilities and whether russia will be able to afford enough of them :shrug:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

iyaayas01 posted:

In honor of tomorrow (today for our ANZAC friends I guess)

Hope it's ok if I share a little of my family history.
My great grandfather was at Gallipoli and was wounded three times, once a gunshot wound to the face and once in each arm in three seperate incidents. Guy was either unlucky as hell or crazy stupid heroic.
Would also like to share (I'm sure a lot of you have seen this before but it bears reposting) the NZ Army welcoming home one of our honoured dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI6TRTBZUMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've never seen that, and it's loving cool. We can barely get a bugler for funerals.

• Locked thread