Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
To take it into RPG territory, I've always thought Vegeta had higher attack than Goku but far less stamina. He gets worked up, explodes, then crumbles over exhausted from over exertion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh cool I didn't know the Piccolo figurart was getting re-issue in October. :toot:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mordaedil posted:

Sarcasm is supposed to be biting.

No that's satire.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

New Leaf posted:

To take it into RPG territory, I've always thought Vegeta had higher attack than Goku but far less stamina. He gets worked up, explodes, then crumbles over exhausted from over exertion.

Which is odd because his fighting style seems to be inspired by boxing.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Xibanya posted:

A fairly interesting post

Something this made me think about is how with Dragonball, unlike a number of more modern series (and I mean just out of the general media I've experienced, so obviously I have a biased view of this), appears to be more... inconsequential, when regarding people's backstories. Like, yes, they factor into how people behave and act, but rarely until the Saiyans and onwards do the personal stories of characters prove a major cornerstone of the plot. Which in its own way makes more sense - yeah, it might be more 'dramatic' if everybody the hero encounters is deeply tied to the oncoming story, but more often than not people just kinda lead more mundane lives that have little to do with world changing events. And I think it allowed Toriyama to be more freely honest with people's motivations and thoughts, rather than having to keep his cards to his chest because there aren't any massive revelations that he might otherwise spoil. If Krillin were made today, his thoughts would be kept hidden and we'd only have him vaguely allude to his past which then gets blown open when forced to confront it due to blah blah blah.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

New Leaf posted:

Why did I explode?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This thread has gotten terrible lately. Hopefully the new DBZA will come out soon and we can talk about something fun again.

DBM's new chapter has started. Thinking Majin Buu will win just because there's really nothing that special about Uub. At all.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

facebook jihad posted:

This thread has gotten terrible lately. Hopefully the new DBZA will come out soon and we can talk about something fun again.
Xibanya's comic book analysis has been pretty good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nah

my favorite fight in the whole series (Goku dominating 3/5ths of the Genyu Force after a super long build-up) is on right now and it's still loving rad

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Why did I explode?

i thought it said somewhere in the anime vegeta had better ki attacks than goku but goku is just an overall better fighter (made sense with vegeta rolling around with freiza for so long)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

Hopefully the new DBZA will come out soon and we can talk about something fun again.

I can't wait to recite someone elses jokes too.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

gently caress all y'all, talking about Dragonball in this here Dragonball thread. I refuse to sit by and be made to think about a thing!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

drjuggalo posted:

i thought it said somewhere in the anime vegeta had better ki attacks than goku but goku is just an overall better fighter (made sense with vegeta rolling around with freiza for so long)

That was a DBZA reference actually that I was making

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Babe Magnet posted:

nah

my favorite fight in the whole series (Goku dominating 3/5ths of the Genyu Force after a super long build-up) is on right now and it's still loving rad

recoome was the first guy in the series I think that was just like indomitably strong

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tbp posted:

recoome was the first guy in the series I think that was just like indomitably strong

The Recoome fight is where I first started watching DBZ and it had me hooked, even though I had no idea what was going on. Then like two episodes later Radditz arrived on Earth and I was even more confused.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

Tao Pai Pai, King Piccolo, Raditz, Nappa, Vegeta and Freiza. Oh and Buu.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tbp posted:

I dunno, Nappa was basically them throwing everything they had at him and it doing less than nothing, since Tien and Chautzu died with their desperation moves doing nothing.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Even at the time I thought Recoome was a copy/paste of Nappa. Right down to armour blowing off, Goku coming in for the win, Vegeta killing him, Gohan and Krillin surviving, same build, same head, mouth blasts, etc.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Szmitten posted:

Even at the time I thought Recoome was a copy/paste of Nappa. Right down to armour blowing off, Goku coming in for the win, Vegeta killing him, Gohan and Krillin surviving, same build, same head, mouth blasts, etc.

Toriyama kinda loves retreading the same concepts a lot, sometimes it works, like I feel it does for Piccolo (which was a similar thread to the Tao Pai Pai arc) it's kind of a shame, because I often feel like the second time around, the stories are usually less powerful, even if the characters are a bit better fleshed out.

King Piccolo was more awesome than Tao Pai Pai (despite riding a flying pillar) and the fact that the holy water was just just a secret method of training the first time was better. Nappa wasn't really necessary for the Saiyan arc, it could have been all Vegeta all along, but then Goku wouldn't have been able to beat anyone up as much. And a space sentai team having a strongman is a really cool idea.

He does the same thing two-three times in the Android arc.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Szmitten posted:

This explains why I love both Nappa and Recoome both so much.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Stairmaster posted:

I can't wait to recite someone elses jokes too.

Precisely. Dragon Ball Super is the best thing to happen to this thread in awhile.

What really excites me is how little time we have to wait until the first episode. Wonder when we'll see the first promotional info on the series.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

This explains why I love both Nappa and Recoome both so much.

I think I find Recoome more interesting than Nappa but is too diluted by being the second guy out of five as apposed to the singular henchman.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Mordaedil posted:

Tao Pai Pai, King Piccolo, Raditz, Nappa, Vegeta and Freiza. Oh and Buu.

the first two arent in dbz so im not counting it, raditz was definitely not iompossible considering they beat him, nappa is the other guy i was thinking of tbh, vegeta and goku fought evenly, and freeza and buu were after recoome..

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mordaedil posted:

Nappa wasn't really necessary for the Saiyan arc, it could have been all Vegeta all along, but then Goku wouldn't have been able to beat anyone up as much.

I disagree. Nappa served the same role as the Ginyu Force. He beats the poo poo out of supporting characters to establish the Saiyans as a credible threat; but he's easily disposed of by Goku to show that Goku means business and levels above his friends.

But yeah overall Recoome and Nappa serve the same purpose.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Thunderbro posted:

With comics having 4x as much time to get their art and writing in order I would hope so, except they don't really. They have color, meticulous digital effects.. and invariably sketch lines all over the pages along with awful composition. They try to cover up the poor art with bling and I guarantee you that without color and digital effects they would look vastly inferior. It just ends up being this chaotic, poorly crafted pile of eye candy which is not what makes good art.

Just to humor this - okay, let's take out the color and "digital effects" from a comic or two and see how crappy American comics look, and how they aren't good art or whatever:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

facebook jihad posted:

But yeah overall Recoome and Nappa serve the same purpose.

Of being hilarious and awesome. I'm glad we're all on the same page now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There are good comics and lovely comics just like there are good manga and lovely manga.
There, I solved the puzzle.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Augus posted:

There are good comics and lovely comics just like there are good manga and lovely manga.
There, I solved the puzzle.

That's what everyone was trying to tell Thunderbro. I was just hoping that maybe if someone showed him examples, he might understand better than people yelling at him.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hmm, one might argue that Blue is the first character Goku can't actually beat outright, but then he never gets the opportunity to revisit that fight. Blue's trajectory is interesting. He's the first bad guy we see actually killing his underlings - contrast with Pilaf who tries to harm his underlings but can't do any lasting harm because at the time Dragonball operated on loony tunes physics. When he fails in his mission, he himself is killed on the orders of his own superior. His death is ironic, but we don't have a clear cause and effect - Blue's cruelty isn't the cause of his own death, so in his last moments he's something of a helpless victim.

Tao Pai Pai on the other hand has a clear trajectory. He kills the guy that Goku couldn't defeat, kills someone Goku cares about, then he beats Goku up. He also kills random citizens just out of pure sadism - something no bad guy had done up to that point. Goku becomes enlightened and returns to beat him up. Goku defeats him by kicking his grenade back into his face. It's a clear (and oft used) morality tale - by destroying others, Tao ultimately destroys himself. (Unless it's the anime, in which case he becomes a :krad: cyborg?)

The next time we see this pattern is not with Piccolo and Sons LLC, but with Vegeta and Freeza. Vegeta's an rear end in a top hat who kills his own subordinate, Goku doesn't defeat Vegeta in their first match, and Vegeta is made a helpless victim as he is killed by his own former superior before Goku has a chance for a rematch. Freeza kills the guy Goku couldn't defeat, kills Krillin, then beats Goku up. Goku becomes enlightened (embraces his heritage, becomes a Super Saiyan) and beats him up. Goku defeats him by letting his destructo disks slice him up. By destroying others, Freeza destroys himself. (But actually he becomes a :krad: cyborg.)

Interestingly, both arcs involve Bulma looking for dragonballs in submarines.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Darko posted:

That's what everyone was trying to tell Thunderbro. I was just hoping that maybe if someone showed him examples, he might understand better than people yelling at him.

I wasn't really saying anything, I was just amused at seeing "they're not comics, mom, they're MANGA" again.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Xibanya posted:

Hmm, one might argue that Blue is the first character Goku can't actually beat outright, but then he never gets the opportunity to revisit that fight. Blue's trajectory is interesting. He's the first bad guy we see actually killing his underlings - contrast with Pilaf who tries to harm his underlings but can't do any lasting harm because at the time Dragonball operated on loony tunes physics. When he fails in his mission, he himself is killed on the orders of his own superior. His death is ironic, but we don't have a clear cause and effect - Blue's cruelty isn't the cause of his own death, so in his last moments he's something of a helpless victim.

Tao Pai Pai on the other hand has a clear trajectory. He kills the guy that Goku couldn't defeat, kills someone Goku cares about, then he beats Goku up. He also kills random citizens just out of pure sadism - something no bad guy had done up to that point. Goku becomes enlightened and returns to beat him up. Goku defeats him by kicking his grenade back into his face. It's a clear (and oft used) morality tale - by destroying others, Tao ultimately destroys himself. (Unless it's the anime, in which case he becomes a :krad: cyborg?)

The next time we see this pattern is not with Piccolo and Sons LLC, but with Vegeta and Freeza. Vegeta's an rear end in a top hat who kills his own subordinate, Goku doesn't defeat Vegeta in their first match, and Vegeta is made a helpless victim as he is killed by his own former superior before Goku has a chance for a rematch. Freeza kills the guy Goku couldn't defeat, kills Krillin, then beats Goku up. Goku becomes enlightened (embraces his heritage, becomes a Super Saiyan) and beats him up. Goku defeats him by letting his destructo disks slice him up. By destroying others, Freeza destroys himself. (But actually he becomes a :krad: cyborg.)

Interestingly, both arcs involve Bulma looking for dragonballs in submarines.

Cyborg Tao is in the manga too, during the 23rd World Tournament arc. In fact he's the one who gives Tien his famous chest scar, after beating Chaiotzu senseless. He actively tries to murder Tien for being a traitor to the Crane School and not becoming an assassin, to which Tien shows his own development by defeating Tao handily, throwing him at the Crane Hermit, and telling them both to piss off. Crane promptly flies away.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

tbp posted:

the first two arent in dbz so im not counting it, raditz was definitely not iompossible considering they beat him, nappa is the other guy i was thinking of tbh, vegeta and goku fought evenly, and freeza and buu were after recoome..

No they really didn't. Vegeta was every bit as "unstoppable" as Recoome when he fought Goku the first time. His defining characteristic was sheer relentlessness. No matter what you hit him with, he kept coming, and ended up kicking Goku's rear end because of it. The Z Fighters only eked out a win by throwing literally everything they had at him.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

No they really didn't. Vegeta was every bit as "unstoppable" as Recoome when he fought Goku the first time. His defining characteristic was sheer relentlessness. No matter what you hit him with, he kept coming, and ended up kicking Goku's rear end because of it. The Z Fighters only eked out a win by throwing literally everything they had at him.

Yeah, Goku was pretty much done after their beam battle. Vegeta didn't know it though and went Ape which by sheer spectacular misofortune worked against him

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darko posted:

Hey I offered to, but he shot me down (I was at work at the time).

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Yeah, Goku was pretty much done after their beam battle. Vegeta didn't know it though and went Ape which by sheer spectacular misofortune worked against him

I'm guessing that Toryiama sort of wrote himself in a corner with Vegeta, because gohan's tail somehow fully growing back at the exact right time was a pretty big asspul.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Wasn't it also the last time his tail grew back? Like after that he apparently just passed the time where his tail could regrow and it never happened again.

The DK Rap
May 12, 2010
You know him well.

Monaghan posted:

I'm guessing that Toryiama sort of wrote himself in a corner with Vegeta, because gohan's tail somehow fully growing back at the exact right time was a pretty big asspul.

Not as much as when Goku regrew his in GT

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Goku did regrow his tail in original Dragon Ball shortly before full moon too while fighting the Dragon Man at the tournament.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

StrifeHira posted:

Cyborg Tao is in the manga too, during the 23rd World Tournament arc. In fact he's the one who gives Tien his famous chest scar, after beating Chaiotzu senseless. He actively tries to murder Tien for being a traitor to the Crane School and not becoming an assassin, to which Tien shows his own development by defeating Tao handily, throwing him at the Crane Hermit, and telling them both to piss off. Crane promptly flies away.

Oh you're right, and that just makes the parallels that much stronger. I'm not crazy about tournament arcs. I don't like 'em in any animu. The only one I liked was the very first one in Dragonball.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

How did the moon come back in Dragon Ball Z when Jackie Chun destroyed it in his fight with Goku?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

mabels big day posted:

How did the moon come back in Dragon Ball Z when Jackie Chun destroyed it in his fight with Goku?

Kami brought it back after he removed Goku's tail for good.

• Locked thread