Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

If the resources are better used elsewhere that's fine but I don't think it's unreasonable for me to feel disappointed at the lack of a piece of continuity I found fun in a previous game in the series.

Are you also disappointed that your remaining inventory won't transfer over as well?

I'm joshin' ya, Sharmat; I know it'd be cool to have even a skinned basic weapon that looks like the one you had from previous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

PerilPastry posted:

Just FYI, Wild Hunt is on sale at Greenmangaming for 33.5 pounds.

I'd buy it myself but first I'm going to need a new computer to actually run this thing :negative:

That's why the Nvidia deal is actually pretty good. If you need a new card anyway, may as well get a free copy of the game! :buddy:

Drifter posted:

Are you also disappointed that your remaining inventory won't transfer over as well?

If I don't get to keep EVERY PETAL of the 397 Celandine flowers I picked, I'm going to uninstall this piece of utter consolized trash.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

OAquinas posted:

Eh, Moon Blade was pretty servicable for most of Ch 1. Mahakham Rune Sigil was pretty meh though, and then you had Raven's armor. Probably no surprise why the dude died, in retrospect.

To this day, I don't know what you actually have to do for the initial silver sword quest because I always started with the imported one.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

Yes, I deeply care about the 224 pieces of Twine sitting in my stash.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

Yes, I deeply care about the 224 pieces of Twine sitting in my stash.

I've barely begun my W2 playthrough before W3's release and I'm already constantly overloaded in my inventory.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GrossMurpel posted:

To this day, I don't know what you actually have to do for the initial silver sword quest because I always started with the imported one.

It's basically a barebones crafting tutorial.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

8-bit Miniboss posted:

GOG Galaxy went to beta and bringing in features that were previously not available in Alpha. Really starting to think Witcher 3 is the game they're launching the platform with. :allears:

Despite being in the Galaxy Alpha it would appear I have to apply to the Beta to get the latest version. :v:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Drifter posted:

I've barely begun my W2 playthrough before W3's release and I'm already constantly overloaded in my inventory.

I firmly believe there's an optional boss in TW3 that can only be beaten by crafting a sword using 300 pounds of twine, timber, and nekker hearts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

Supposedly you can stashstuff at the Inn in Flotsam. I just started a new playthough and havent checked yet, but it was not there (to my knowledge) before the EE edition.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

GrossMurpel posted:

Couldn't watch the stream, was there anything completely new and surprising announced?

Not really, no, the only thing I noticed was being able to change difficulties mid-fight (not sure if this is a carry over since I just stuck with medium difficulty) and

pik_d posted:

Regenerating potions with alcohol meditation??? That owns

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bort Bortles posted:

Supposedly you can stashstuff at the Inn in Flotsam. I just started a new playthough and havent checked yet, but it was not there (to my knowledge) before the EE edition.

When I get to Flotsam I'll check.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher_2_storage

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

If you start with the imported equipment and don't get the Strong Back perk from sparing Aryan (I think even with that you might run into trouble), you're overloaded as soon as you start chapter 1 if you picked up everything in the prolog.
Given the choice of either dropping a piece of lumber that I will never, ever use or walk the entire way to Flotsam, I chose walking every time.

pik_d posted:

Not really, no, the only thing I noticed was being able to change difficulties mid-fight (not sure if this is a carry over since I just stuck with medium difficulty) and

The new potion system isn't really new though.

Drifter posted:

When I get to Flotsam I'll check.

It's in the Inn's basement, next to the bar. Or you can talk to the barkeeper down there.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

PerilPastry posted:

I'd buy it myself but first I'm going to need a new computer to actually run this thing :negative:

You should probably wait and see how it is optimized. I have an i5 760 that I over clocked to 3.3, with a 270x. I got Wolfenstein: The New Order about a year ago with a worse card and no overclock and I could run it fine on high settings with max AA. That game also required an i7 for minimum requirements.

(Though now I have a 1440p monitor which is really going to stress my system. Worst comes to worst I will just lower settings or use the 1:1 setting on my monitor with 1080p so it looks like I am watching a wide screen movie. I am not one that needs everything on ultra. If it looks like the precious cargo video I will be happy)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bort Bortles posted:

It was. It was added in an early patch.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

Well if you keep expecting input queuing again in every fight, you will get surprised every time.

Jesus Christ guy, I was bitching about the lack of input queuing not saying it surprised me. The inconsistent way sometimes the animations decided they weren't over yet was what caused surprises.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Jesus Christ guy, I was bitching about the lack of input queuing not saying it surprised me. The inconsistent way sometimes the animations decided they weren't over yet was what caused surprises.

Yeah fair enough, it's more "mash left click until I got three attacks in" rather than "left click three times" in most fights.
E: I'm not sure I dislike that though, I guess it makes the combat fast instead of strategic. Just don't expect a Souls clone :v:

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 5, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

pik_d posted:

Regenerating potions with alcohol meditation??? That owns

What does this mean?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Relentlessboredomm posted:

What does this mean?

You only need the ingredients to craft potions once, after that you can refill them by spending alcohol while meditating instead of making a new one.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

ZearothK posted:

You only need the ingredients to craft potions once, after that you can refill them by spending alcohol while meditating instead of making a new one.

Homeopathy works!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I wonder how that'll work considering you only have to spend the herbs once and then never ever switch out your Swallow potion. Probably gonna end up with 9999 herbs of every kind.

wins32767 posted:

Homeopathy works!

:allears:

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

ZearothK posted:

As in:
Never have to re-brew a potion again once you make it the first time?
OR
Can top a potion up as long as you don't drink all of it?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Alternate joke: Apparently all the Witcher mutations just impact the Placebome.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

iGestalt posted:

As in:
Never have to re-brew a potion again once you make it the first time?
OR
Can top a potion up as long as you don't drink all of it?

How do you drink less than all of a potion?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Drifter posted:

Um. Yeah. Good point.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

iGestalt posted:

I've been wondering how much will carry over to W3. I am slightly reassured by this change.

I'm wondering if there'll be a skill point or mutagen for people who drank that total stranger's potion in Flotsam. Or maybe more appropriately, -1 skill points / a terrible mutagen :ohdear:

Drifter posted:

They actually have multiple doses (equip Swallow in one slot = three doses iirc). But yeah, you can deplete all of them and still replenish them with alcohol.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I suspected the magic system in the Witcherverse was just a massive drinking game. Now we finally have (180) proof! :cheers:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

wins32767 posted:

Homeopathy works!

Take physics and bin it!

Seriously though, this is a great change. I never really bothered with potions in TW2, because it was, well, too much of a bother. Come to think of it, I mostly played the game for the story and setting; I don't think the gameplay alone would keep interested (though TW2 was a marked step up from the first one, which I stopped playing somewhere in the swamp, I think).

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

The Sharmat posted:

No items carry over in TW3.

Sure glad I got those end game swords and armor for one fight. Pretty disappointed in this bit to be honest.

Are you kidding me? You mean I got all that Dark gear for NOTHING?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

My hype for this game is through the loving roof. So much so that I installed W2 last night and intend to create my perfect first starting point for this game with all my favorite plot decisions starting tonight.

Although tbh, my interest in the plot of W3 is second to playing Read Dead Witcher/ Fantasy Monster Hunter simulator version 3.0. I'm going to launch the game, get as far as I need to to get out into the wilderness and then come back only for monthly beard shaving rituals. I'll repeat that till I'm bored and need an injection of story/scenery change.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
^^^^ Hell yea. Wilderness wandering is my number one priority.

ZearothK posted:

That's awesome.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 5, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Can you drink pots in fight now, or still with that meditate crap that no one ever bothers doing?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

PerilPastry posted:

i... i just bought it earlier today on gog for 36 pounds.

3 quid down the drain. :negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Can you drink pots in fight now, or still with that meditate crap that no one ever bothers doing?

If a potion has a charge you can drink it at any time.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah fair enough, it's more "mash left click until I got three attacks in" rather than "left click three times" in most fights.
E: I'm not sure I dislike that though, I guess it makes the combat fast instead of strategic. Just don't expect a Souls clone :v:

Fair enough, it just has that really crisp unforgiving combat that I love, until it doesn't because you die from a animation lasting one frame too many or hitting the bomb throw and having geralt freeze for two seconds before starting the animation. It wouldn't be nearly as frustrating if it weren't for the fact you can pull off awesome stuff high risk 90% of the time only to suddenly die because something got janky.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I just decided I'm actually not going to play through W2 again because I hate that it does not autosave, so I have to ride the F5 key because otherwise I lose ~20 minutes of work when a drowner pops up out of the water and backstabs me for a billion damage before I realize what is going on, then another one backstabs me for another billion damage while I am staggering from the first hit, then I'm dead. Then, because I am riding the F5 key the game stops functioning and turns my computer into a peperweight because there are 50 gigs of W2 saves.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Orv posted:

If a potion has a charge you can drink it at any time.

The alchemy skills play into this nicely, as well. The potions I've seen last anywhere from 15 to 60 seconds, and each point in each equipped Alchemy skill adds 5% to that. (So, equipping three fully-upgraded 5-point Alchemy skills would increase your duration by 75%.) And some of the Alchemy skills offer opportunities for very neat playstyles; one of them lets you keep the effects of expired potions while your toxicity remains above a certain threshold, so you can rotate potions to keep multiple effects up past the point where, with any other build, you'd be waiting for your toxicity to fall to a safe level to keep drinking. (This is assuming I've got the right idea of how toxicity works from watching the gameplay previews.)

So basically, alchemy as a specialization is no longer "boring swordplay with overpowered stats," it's more "that drunken kung-fu fighting style from Jade Empire."

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 6, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah I just decided I'm actually not going to play through W2 again because I hate that it does not autosave, so I have to ride the F5 key because otherwise I lose ~20 minutes of work when a drowner pops up out of the water and backstabs me for a billion damage before I realize what is going on, then another one backstabs me for another billion damage while I am staggering from the first hit, then I'm dead. Then, because I am riding the F5 key the game stops functioning and turns my computer into a peperweight because there are 50 gigs of W2 saves.

"I have to press F5 once in a while" is the silliest complaint I've ever heard. Especially since there is only one quicksave slot that gets overwritten every time.

Cheston posted:

The alchemy skills play into this nicely, as well. The potions I've seen last anywhere from 15 to 60 seconds, and each tier of each equipped Alchemy skill adds 5% to that. (So, equipping three fully-upgraded 5-tier Alchemy skills would increase your duration by 75%.) And some of the Alchemy skills offer opportunities for very neat playstyles; one of them lets you keep the effects of expired potions while your toxicity remains above a certain threshold, so you can rotate potions to keep multiple effects up past the point where, with any other build, you'd be waiting for your toxicity to fall to a safe level to keep drinking. (This is assuming I've got the right idea of how toxicity works from watching the gameplay previews.)

So basically, alchemy as a specialization is no longer "boring swordplay with overpowered stats," it's more "that drunken kung-fu fighting style from Jade Empire."

Are the tiers mutually exclusive or do you always equip the latest tier? For example, do you have to equip long range Aard and Aard circle separately?

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 6, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

"I have to press F5 once in a while" is the silliest complaint I've ever heard. Especially since there is only one quicksave slot that gets overwritten every time.
It actually creates new save each time. And I definitely wasnt exaggerating or anything. I do think it is silly that you need to invest a skill two skills to not take as much backstab damage and you're not that tough in the early game to begin with. Hence why I hate creating a million saves when I am trying to casually play through the game again but early-game Geralt is made out of wet tissue paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Are the tiers mutually exclusive or do you always equip the latest tier? For example, do you have to equip long range Aard and Aard circle separately?

They're mutually exclusive, so yeah, you would have to equip those two skills separately.

**Huh, my wording is super confusing now that I read it back- there are four tiers of skills, but most skills also have 3 to 5... levels? That you invest extra points in to make those skills stronger. Not sure what those extra invested points are called, but for each of those you get an additional +5% duration when equipped. (Or in combat, +1% adrenaline, or in signs, +0.5/s endurance regen.)

***I fixed the original post to not be confusing.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 6, 2015

• Locked thread