Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Everybody celebrate.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2580-Sean-K-Reynolds-just-rehired-by-WotC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

On what basis was he hired, his design work or his industry connections collection of cronyist buddies from the 3E era?

(It's probably the latter, of course.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Finally, someone who can and will take on the heavy weight of dialing back the obscene power of rogues.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Him leaving was the best thing to happen to Pathfinder. It's good to see that WotC is replicating literally everything bad about the 3.5 era and everything bad about the 2n edition era. Let me guess soon we'll hear about fifty spin off games produced in numbers equal to a MtG release, and eight campaign settings.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
At least Dancey has somewhere to go after Goblinworks.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Morrus posted:

Please don't take this as an opportunity to slam him, or the work he's done.

I'm amused that it's taken as an assumption even at ENWorld that the mere mention of Sean will result in a tremendous dump being taken on the boards.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 5, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nuns with Guns posted:

Finally, someone who can and will take on the heavy weight of dialing back the obscene power of rogues monks.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

I'm glad a d20 expert is back into the mix. Not only to avoid the excesses of 4e design, but just as importantly of 3e's. Being intimately familiar with the mistakes of the past two generations of D&D is a terrific thing in a hire for 5e.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I wonder how this is going to affect the 3.x heartbreaker he kickstarted last year.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

I wonder how this is going to affect the 3.x heartbreaker he kickstarted last year.

Apparently the move to Washington means the game will be delayed.

There's also a pretty hilarious looking preliminary sketch of a "corrupted unicorn" in that update.

quote:

you'll be happy to know that magic items are mostly going to have cosmetic or utilitarian effects (like a cloak that lets you Feather Fall) instead of boring plusses. I'll need to have a careful look at the stats math during and after the playtest, but I definitely do not want a situation where your character is ineffective if you don't have the "default" magic items that just give boring plusses.

loving seriously. See ya later, Pathfinder!

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 5, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The whole Five Moons thing made me legit angry because it was the ultimate "hey guys I'm fixing all the problems with D&D by using solutions other people came up with a decade ago" style heartbreaker, but because it's Reynolds people were just eating it up.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

:shrug: After the way he designed and acted on Pathfinder, which remained one of the most popular games in the industry, it's so unsurprising I can't muster more than my constant low-level annoyance at the entire hobby.

Maybe he'll use this game as another opportunity to poo poo on people who want guns in their fantasy mishmash?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I look at his Kickstarter and see something that, while far from original, seems intent on fixing things that are well-known issues in D&D. You could argue that it would be better to just ditch D&D as a frame of reference altogether, but I don't see anything outright wrong with what I read in there; so I imagine that whatever has earned him this degree of ire, on top of this:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm amused that it's taken as an assumption even at ENWorld that the mere mention of Sean will result in a tremendous dump being taken on the boards.
Is something that he has done in the past. Could anyone fill me in, please?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

He was lead rules guy for Pathfinder, and he's not good at rules. This wouldn't be much of a remarkable crime in the RPG industry—even if he was in charge of developing one of its most popular properties—except he was also a big rear end about it. He got into flame wars with fans on the forum over how he put a bunch of gun stuff in the game, but he made it just absolutely suck all the balls. He was the kind of guy who seriously busted out ~verisimilitude~ when he shat on fighters, and "Well, it's fantasy!" when fellating wizards.

Even in the context of "D&D3 with the serial numbers filed off" his rules could be pretty bad.

Help me out here, fellow bitter goons: Was it him or someone else who tied a computer mouse to their hand and hosed around with it for an afternoon to determine how chained weapons rules should work?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He's also the guy who deliberately made 3.Path monks terrible because he, personally, doesn't like the class.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
SKR is basically a complete moron when it comes to game design. The only thing you need to know is that he wrote this, where he claimed that Toughness (the 3.5 version, that gave 3 HP) was a stronger feat than Natural Spell.

Plague of Hats posted:

Help me out here, fellow bitter goons: Was it him or someone else who tied a computer mouse to their hand and hosed around with it for an afternoon to determine how chained weapons rules should work?

No, that was Jason Bulmahn, who is also dumb

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 5, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Was Reynolds the one who "fixed" the completely useless Prone Shooter feat by making it more useless?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Piell posted:

SKR is basically a complete moron when it comes to game design. The only thing you need to know is that he wrote this, where he claimed that Toughness (the 3.5 version, that gave 3 HP) was a stronger feat than Natural Spell.

Holy poo poo.

code:
Feat                  Pts
Animal Affinity       9
Craft Wand            10
Diehard               7
Exotic Weapon Prof    9
Improved Initiative   8
Improved Trip         8
Maximize Spell        5
Mobility              8
Precise Shot          10
Still Spell           5
Toughness (3hp)       6
Toughness (5hp)       10
Weapon Finesse        9
Weapon Focus          10
How does he not see what he's doing?

quote:

No, that was Jason Bulmahn, who is also dumb

Ah yes, thanks.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Prone Shooter was eventually errata'd to do something but not really enough to be worthwhile. I don't know who was responsible.

It's also a bit telling the book to fix monks and rogues only came out a year after he left.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

How does he not see what he's doing?

Because it's 3.Path heartbreaker thinkin'. If there's a problem with a mechanic, you don't back up and fix the core problem, you bolt another mechanic onto it. Then when that one doesn't work, you don't go back and see why, you bolt another mechanic onto that one, and so on and so on.

I mean, he starts with the right observation ("there are a lot of useless feats"), but instead of backing up and fixing the core problem (get rid of the feats) he bolts another system onto it and just ends up making it worse.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

Because it's 3.Path heartbreaker thinkin'. If there's a problem with a mechanic, you don't back up and fix the core problem, you bolt another mechanic onto it. Then when that one doesn't work, you don't go back and see why, you bolt another mechanic onto that one, and so on and so on.

I mean, he starts with the right observation ("there are a lot of useless feats"), but instead of backing up and fixing the core problem (get rid of the feats) he bolts another system onto it and just ends up making it worse.

Sure, but I mean, goddamn, +2 to Animal Handling, +5hp and creating wands that cast fireball 25 times all being valued the same is just so loving in-your-face.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Really, "WotC hires idiot who can't design but is popular for working on a knockoff of a lovely game" just about sums up everything you could expect about 5e. :haw:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

To be honest, I can't help but wonder how much of this ends up being "SKR realized designing his own system was way harder then he imagined" and that the kickstarter will end up pulling a Far East.

Plague of Hats posted:

He was lead rules guy for Pathfinder, and he's not good at rules. This wouldn't be much of a remarkable crime in the RPG industry—even if he was in charge of developing one of its most popular properties—except he was also a big rear end about it. He got into flame wars with fans on the forum over how he put a bunch of gun stuff in the game, but he made it just absolutely suck all the balls. He was the kind of guy who seriously busted out ~verisimilitude~ when he shat on fighters, and "Well, it's fantasy!" when fellating wizards.

Even in the context of "D&D3 with the serial numbers filed off" his rules could be pretty bad.

Funny enough, as a former massive Pathfinder fan, I was one of the people he got into a big flame war over! Twice, even! The first over his insistence that clerics need to be able to replace fighters (pay no attention that his main go-to class was a cleric, surely that had no effect on this), the second over his insistence on putting in trap options that sound cool explicitly so players can make themselves suck.

His "I hate this so it will be weak / I like this so it will be strong" bent comes out basically nonstop. He hated the idea of monster PCs, and what do you know, Savage Species is a terrible book. He hated the fluff for one of the cleric ideas he had in PF so he bragged about making it weak on the message boards, then immediately stated right after that balance is an ~*~illusion~*~ and is impossible to track. He's the very definition of "I have one specific playstyle I want to encourage, and anything outside of that must be punished."

He is, in short, maybe one of the worst designers that has ever touched D&D.

He belongs in 5e.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Really, "WotC hires idiot who can't design but is popular for working on a knockoff of a lovely game" just about sums up everything you could expect about 5e. :haw:
Well, putting it that way makes their getting rid of Monte Cook even weirder.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Plague of Hats posted:

Sure, but I mean, goddamn, +2 to Animal Handling, +5hp and creating wands that cast fireball 25 times all being valued the same is just so loving in-your-face.

Hey now, only 25 times? I get that +2 bonus to Animal Handling constantly. Why would I want to throw flaming balls of death for a little bit when I can gently caress the dog all day?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Littlefinger posted:

Didn't Monte Cook repent of some of his past transgressions in that "Ivory Tower Game Design" article, and also advocate a 4e-ism ("what I like to call 'passive perception'")?

Obviously he was a poor fit for the 5e team.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

His "I hate this so it will be weak / I like this so it will be strong" bent comes out basically nonstop. He hated the idea of monster PCs, and what do you know, Savage Species is a terrible book.
Didn't he straight up admit to, and possibly brag about, doing that too?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Saguaro PI posted:

Why would I want to throw flaming balls of death for a little bit when I can gently caress the dog all day?
:aaa: You even took the appropriate feat!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Littlefinger posted:

Cook was absolutely pushed out by Mearls.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Which was some cold poo poo because Cook published a bunch of Mearls stuff under really generous terms (Iron Heroes).

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ProfessorCirno posted:

What was his motivation?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

I dunno if I buy that. I'm still pretty sure it was a dust-up about OGL (and how 5e won't have one.)

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

What was his motivation?
:smaug:  Not having to share designer credits with the Moon  Ego

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How did they think the OGL was a good idea in the first place? It wouldn't make them a cent.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm pretty sure their business plan was literally...

1. Release the OGL
3. PROFIT!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think the idea was that people would buy the 3.x core books in order to use all the third party content.

That, and it was supposed to prevent WotC from spending money on things like modules, which generally didn't make money.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, so basically they never knew what they were doing, has D&D ever been handled by a competent business?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
WotC during the 3e era. Their marketing director at the time (Lisa Stevens) now runs Paizo, and 3e's success and continued customer loyalty has everything to do with marketing.

Other than that, nah.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TSR at the height of redbox basic D&D was doing pretty drat good. Those red boxes were sold at Toys R Us and Sears, they sold multiple millions of copies, and introduced D&D to a generation. The franchise is still reaping the rewards of that campaign today.

The very idea of making a basic, introductory verison of your RPG, accessible to a younger crowd, that came with the dice in the box, and was sold at mainstream stores, was a major innovation.

TSR's downfall came later, as the success of those earlier products spawned all kinds of dumb ideas and massive waste on unsellable products and warehoused unsellable inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno if I buy that. I'm still pretty sure it was a dust-up about OGL (and how 5e won't have one.)

Mearls' silence following the abuse Pundit lathered onto Cook, followed by Cook not being put into the book credits at all, speaks volumes.

• Locked thread