Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
How about the death of shadow in FF6? They tell you to hurry hurry hurry off the island and put a ticking clock in the car be. But do it too fast and the most badass character dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dr_Amazing posted:

How about the death of shadow in FF6? They tell you to hurry hurry hurry off the island and put a ticking clock in the car be. But do it too fast and the most badass character dies.

Yeah. Even though I knew about that ahead of time, I waited for a long time then decided I probably screwed up some flag somewhere and left. After the fact I looked up it was down to what, single digit seconds?

Memento posted:

Another troll from a video game back in the day: if you finished Ultima Underworld with any of your skills over 30, a thing that was possible to do legitimately within the mechanics of the game, it assumed you edited your save file and instead of giving you the proper ending, it said something like "You finished Ultima Underworld in 7 hours, 52 minutes, and cheated on your character!"

I am imagining the game telling you this in the most neckbeard of voices, like a GM convinced there was no way you could have managed without fudging your sheet in their clearly perfectly balanced campaign.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Speaking of Driver and trolls from the devs, Driv3r ignored the adage about glass houses and throwing stones and mocked Rockstar by hiding an NPC named Timmy Vermicelli on their maps as a dig at Vice City: He's way more low-poly than all the other NPCs, has the hosed-up block hands of the GTA character models, and wears water wings to make fun of the fact that at the time falling into the water was an instant-death in GTA games.

Rockstar returned fire by having it so that in the San Andreas mission where you sneak into Madd Dogg's mansion to steal his rhyme book you can hide behind a couch and listen to a player character trash about "Refractions" (the developers of Driver are Reflections Interactive) and namedrop Tanner, the protagonist of the Driver games.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I wouldn't count that as a "troll", but at the same time, I absolutely love when games take pointless pot shots at the competition like that, like how Duke Nukem 3D had various FPS protagonists' corpses hidden throughout the game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

Speaking of Driver and trolls from the devs, Driv3r ignored the adage about glass houses and throwing stones and mocked Rockstar by hiding an NPC named Timmy Vermicelli on their maps as a dig at Vice City: He's way more low-poly than all the other NPCs, has the hosed-up block hands of the GTA character models, and wears water wings to make fun of the fact that at the time falling into the water was an instant-death in GTA games.

Rockstar returned fire by having it so that in the San Andreas mission where you sneak into Madd Dogg's mansion to steal his rhyme book you can hide behind a couch and listen to a player character trash about "Refractions" (the developers of Driver are Reflections Interactive) and namedrop Tanner, the protagonist of the Driver games.

I remember there was a minor scandal on the release of Driv3r where someone involved with the game (either publisher or devs) told print reviewers that the review copies they were playing had some bugs but they were fixed in the final version. They weren't. So the print reviews that came out around the release didn't mention a bunch of problems that were in the game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Choco1980 posted:

I wouldn't count that as a "troll", but at the same time, I absolutely love when games take pointless pot shots at the competition like that, like how Duke Nukem 3D had various FPS protagonists' corpses hidden throughout the game.

I liked the potshots that Postal 2: Paradise Lost made at Spacebase DF-9, if only because there's something deliciously poetic about a game that's still receiving support and updates almost 15 years after release making fun of a game that was dropped before it was even finished.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the nerd bitterness over Spacebase DF-9 is way funnier actually

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Shwqa posted:

Yeah status effects are making a comeback these days.

Out of every person I know who played South Park : the Stick of Truth only one complained about the difficulty, and that one was the only person who didn't discover that you could put the Bleed x3 modifier (adds 3 stacks of a status on-hit that does 3% mhp damage per turn, per stack, and stacks up to 10?) on the dodgeball (chains 10 times on random targets in the fight for a tiny amount of damage). This works on every single fight as long as there's more than one target so the ball can bounce between them.

Alouicious posted:

the nerd bitterness over Spacebase DF-9 is way funnier actually

Is there a writeup somewhere about what went wrong and why people are so bitter?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Nothing special. Just the usual case of early access game makes a bunch of promises, then runs off with the money.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

Nothing special. Just the usual case of early access game makes a bunch of promises, then runs off with the money.

see, this is what i'm talking about

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Aw. Given doublefine's name attached to it I expected more drama.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bucketmouse posted:

Aw. Given doublefine's name attached to it I expected more drama.

They did also try and erase all the promises/roadmap of development from the original pitch and memoryholed all mentions of it on their documentary. But considering that they shut down several projects and had massive layoffs it doesn't seem fair to kick them when they're down.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Sleeveless posted:

Rockstar North actually started this whole thing in GTA III, with a mission called Two-Faced Tanner that had you kill a "strangely animated undercover cop" who was "useless outside his car".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfGzCw7v_xo

Vice City also had a mission where Tommy killed a bunch of guys called Dick Tanner, Nick Kong (Nick Kang from True Crime: Streets of LA) and Marcus Hammond (Mark Hammond from The Getaway) among others, and San Andreas had a "True Grime: Street Cleaners" billboard.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bucketmouse posted:

Is there a writeup somewhere about what went wrong and why people are so bitter?

Doublefine made promises that were impossible to deliver. That's it, really.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wasn't this already a level in the first Driver? I seem to explicitly remember it as part of their bonus missions crafted after famous movie car chases (The French Connection in this case)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

They did also try and erase all the promises/roadmap of development from the original pitch and memoryholed all mentions of it on their documentary.

the documentary not about that game, but a completely different game you drooling moron?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So why don't you explain how the developers didn't abandon this clearly unfinished game that is actually still for sale on Steam instead of just sniping at people like a petty nerd lol

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 07:24 on May 6, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

So why don't you explain how the developers didn't abandon this clearly unfinished game that is actually still for sale on Steam instead of just sniping at people like a petty nerd lol

oh they totally did because they ran out of money for its development, but the insane bitter nerdrage about it is way funnier and sadder

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Maybe. Nerd outrage can be pretty amazing sometimes but it usually doesn't end up hoodwinking people into spending money on something that's been ditched by the developers. Sometimes, but not usually.

e: poo poo, the only way I'd be able to tell that the game was abandonware by looking at the game's Store page is the user reviews, so in this case nerd outrage is helping

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 08:20 on May 6, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Choco1980 posted:

I know the Doom space marine was in there, but were there others?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

I don't know about protagonist, but I remember the quip 'I ain't afraid of no... Quake.'

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
the greatest trick game developers ever pulled is early access. people pay to quality control a game you've made with half the effort of an actual game.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kikka posted:

the greatest trick game developers ever pulled is early access. people pay for half a game that you never have to finish

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Skaw posted:

FF4 DS was pretty hard for sure. The Moon was really easy in the original and gba versions but suddenly ridiculously tough in the DS remake. Giant of Babil was also aggressively retuned to be more difficult.

Lots of bosses and late game enemies would just murder anyone who wasn't Cecil in only a couple hits. I got by with throwing provoke and defender up as much as possible with Cecil, so he'd be guaranteed the target of single-target attacks.

The mobile and Steam ports actually had an easy mode added.

I don't really remember the DS version being THAT hard. It was harder than the original US version but I guess I had also played the harder version before that. There were some tough spots but nothing game stopping.

What was really bullshit was indeed the augments and the ridiculous things you had to do in order to get them. On the other hand, you certainly didn't need to get them all and the game was perfectly beatable with the augments you normally get along the way. I think it just irritates me more because of the trend of throwing in a bunch of super secret ridiculous bullshit that's nearly impossible to figure out on your own. Why is any of that "fun". Then again this is the "game developer troll thread" so I guess the answer is it's the developers loving with people.

Once upon a time I did manage to beat Driver, and the last mission is almost completely impossible. You basically just have to hope you get lucky with the police placement if I remember correctly and no amount of skill is going to get out out of the mission if you're unlucky with that.

The Driver tutorial was really just a warning about what lay beyond.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you don't know about Slow, Cagnazzo is kind of a brick wall on DS. The Tsunamis just come out too fast.

E: Actually, that's another kind of trolly thing about the game. Cagnazzo's the Elemental Lord of Water, so you'd expect him to be weak to lightning like all the other water enemies you've fought so far, right? Well he's not, against all logic he's weak to ice. So you have your mages queue up their most powerful ice spells, which does a lot of damage, and that works out pretty well. Then partway through the fight he summons a wall of water. Suddenly his weaknesses change, now he heals from ice and is weak to lightning. But you don't know that without trying it or wasting someone's time casting Libra on him. If you don't hit him with lightning before his next turn, he drops a really strong water-elemental Tsunami on all your characters. And he'll keep doing that over and over.

Dabir has a new favorite as of 15:04 on May 6, 2015

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Alouicious posted:

oh they totally did because they ran out of money for its development, but the insane bitter nerdrage about it is way funnier and sadder

Really not getting this one. Nerd rage is people getting mad about stupid poo poo. being unhappy about a poor purchase is completely reasonable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Konami and PT is a good one. For anyone who doesn't know PT was a demo that went up on PSN by some random company. It was a hallway that ended up doing spooky poo poo and being super unnerving and then when you finished it SURPRISE it was a pitch for Silent Hills a Hideo Kojima/Guillermo del Toro collaboration starring the guy from Walking Dead.

Well Kojima announced he was leaving Konami. Konami announced they were canceling Silent Hills and that the demo was getting pulled from PSN. Gamers read that as "oh we've purchased it so we can always get it whenever" and are mad that it's missing from the PSN now.

Some people have been flipping PS4s for $1000 on eBay because gamers are terrible with money and easy to exploit. Looks like PT has an expiration date now too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Tiggum posted:

As said, the quake guy's there, as is the guy from Heretic/Hexen, and if you do some serious searching you can find Kyle Katarn from the Dark Forces games. All dead.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

Konami and PT is a good one. For anyone who doesn't know PT was a demo that went up on PSN by some random company. It was a hallway that ended up doing spooky poo poo and being super unnerving and then when you finished it SURPRISE it was a pitch for Silent Hills a Hideo Kojima/Guillermo del Toro collaboration starring the guy from Walking Dead.

Well Kojima announced he was leaving Konami. Konami announced they were canceling Silent Hills and that the demo was getting pulled from PSN. Gamers read that as "oh we've purchased it so we can always get it whenever" and are mad that it's missing from the PSN now.

Some people have been flipping PS4s for $1000 on eBay because gamers are terrible with money and easy to exploit. Looks like PT has an expiration date now too.

I'm sure someone will figure out a way to pull it off of there onto a PC.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dr_Amazing posted:

Really not getting this one. Nerd rage is people getting mad about stupid poo poo. being unhappy about a poor purchase is completely reasonable.

Buying early access and getting mad when the game is never finished is like yelling at a gas station clerk when you buy a losing scratch-off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Buying early access and getting mad when the game is never finished is like yelling at a gas station clerk when you buy a losing scratch-off.

And yet the buyers are shocked, SHOCKED that such a thing could happen and rant and rave endlessly about being betrayed.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I mean, I can't blame people for feeling betrayed. Doublefine isn't some guy in a garage, it's an actual developer that has made actual (good) games. Nobody was expecting them to cut and run.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

But the clerk isn't the ceo of the lottery company.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm sure someone will figure out a way to pull it off of there onto a PC.

This is going to be the thing that blows the PS4 wide open, like when Sony tried to remove linux on the PS3. Never play take-backsies on a nerd.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shwqa posted:

But the clerk isn't the ceo of the lottery company.

You're right, early access is much stupider.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

If it's a "reputable" developer, it's more like giving your credit card over the phone for pizza delivery (usually you just buy slices at the restaurant) and the kid drives to some other house.

Or something. I dunno. gently caress early access and gently caress kickstarter.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Actually, it isn't.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

HellCopter posted:

I mean, I can't blame people for feeling betrayed. Doublefine isn't some guy in a garage, it's an actual developer that has made actual (good) games. Nobody was expecting them to cut and run.

Double fine hasn't made any good games though. They've made a few good levels with quirky things in it and then failed to complete the rest of the game, resulting in their publisher having to do it themselves (remember Brutal Legends and how that went to poo poo so fast?). Hell, on Brutal Legends Tim took everyone working on it off for an entire month to make prototypes for other games to sell rather than, you know, finish the work they were being paid to do.

They might have made good games before but the last decade or so has proven that they can't even finish their own games when they have giant publishers backing them financially.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Sleeveless posted:

Actually, it isn't.

Consider that the only people reading comments are actually steam mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Fumaofthelake posted:

If it's a "reputable" developer, it's more like giving your credit card over the phone for pizza delivery (usually you just buy slices at the restaurant) and the kid drives to some other house.

Or something. I dunno. gently caress early access and gently caress kickstarter.

No, you're getting at something here. Early access is like handing your cousin-by-marriage 20 bucks and telling him to go buy a pizza. But instead he returns with 3 slices and says "It's all they had." But he still spent the $20 somehow.

I mean, technically you had no reason to trust him. But he's still an rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread