Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joke_explainer

The X-man cometh posted:

I'm braising a brisket this weekend. Any tips?

the front page of this thread has an amazing braised brisket recipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landy.
does anybody know something to put on mashed potatoes that doesn't have meat?

Pizzatime

sour cream

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Garlic, chili powder, salt and butter and

Pizzatime posted:

sour cream

alnilam

landy. posted:

Cheese, salsa, sauteed bell peppers, lentils, black beans, the list goes on

Actually see the recipe i posted on the last page, and just turn it upside down - bingo it turns from shepherds pie into mashed potato with things on top

Chef Shimi

Just don't eat mashed potatoes.

landy.

Pizzatime posted:

sour cream

thanks, but i dont want to do that.

Luvcow posted:

Garlic, chili powder, salt and butter and

alnilam posted:

Cheese, salsa, sauteed bell peppers, lentils, black beans, the list goes on

Actually see the recipe i posted on the last page, and just turn it upside down - bingo it turns from shepherds pie into mashed potato with things on top

ill try these, thank you

joke_explainer

landy. posted:

... what recipes require you to put meat on mashed potatoes? i didn't know this was a thing... i've seen them as a side for it, but never like... bbq pulled pork ontop of mashed potatoes

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

... what recipes require you to put meat on mashed potatoes? i didn't know this was a thing... i've seen them as a side for it, but never like... bbq pulled pork ontop of mashed potatoes

word to the wise you can put almost anything savory on top of mashed potatoes and it's really good

ty manifisto

landy.

joke_explainer posted:

i wanted to add protein that wasnt gravy

joke_explainer

ohhh gravy! yeah that makes sense. drat. I was thinking like hunks of meat

alnilam

By the way fun tip for making creamy soups or sauces for vegans or the lactose intolerant:
soak some cashews and then blend them up in a ratio of like 1:1 with water or broth
use this "cashew cream" as well as maybe some corn starch to creamify your soup or sauce a little

for reference, theres a vegan corn chowder i really like to make (im not vegan but cook with some lactose sensitive folks)
it runs about 6 cups of broth + (1c broth 1c cashew, blended) + (1c broth 1/2c cornstarch, whisked), you add the cashew and corn starch at the end and stir until thickened
this is in addition to a ton of potates which also thicken it up shutup the point is this is how you get a creamy-esque soup without cream

alnilam fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 9, 2015

ty manifisto

joke_explainer

playground tough posted:

Can I treat this thread like Instagram and just post pictures of the food I eat, provided I use proper grammar and punctuation?

Sure.

I got a new toy! (well, I actually got it a bit ago, but just getting around to photographing it.)

I'm gonna make a ribeye to test it out, I'll post how it goes.

Bwee

joke_explainer posted:

Sure.

I got a new toy! (well, I actually got it a bit ago, but just getting around to photographing it.)

I'm gonna make a ribeye to test it out, I'll post how it goes.

i have a much shittier sous vide machine that requires a crock pot but it works really really well and it's my favorite kitchen device

joke_explainer

Bwee posted:

i have a much shittier sous vide machine that requires a crock pot but it works really really well and it's my favorite kitchen device

It is pretty amazing... I was inspired to get one after Goatdrugs explained how he built his sous vide cooker, which was awesome. But then I was lazy and just bought an automatic one. It has this app:

which lets you set temperature, time, etc remotely via bluetooth, it also will give you updates and alarms to your phone. So I don't have to take a break from posting to go check on dinner. It's also got thousands of recipes (many user submitted, though there's grading) that you can just hit 'play' on and it will take the temp / time setting from the recipes.

Vacuum-packed steak ready for the water bath:

joke_explainer

All done with it. Overall it turned out great. I also did step-by-step for roast brussel sprouts w/ balsamic vinegar but I left them in the oven to stay warm (at a reduced temp, but it was still pretty hot) and they got overcooked. drat.

Checked the water temperature to make sure it was accurate: Seemed good.

Had a beer, because a huge steak isn't enough calories I guess...

Out of the water bath about 1 hr 30 minutes @ 127 degrees, doesn't look too appetizing in the bag.

The stove is still kind of a wreck atm but, cast iron, heat it up as hot as it gets w/ canola oil, add butter and throw the steak on as soon as the butter starts to brown.

Only about a minute aside. It's very smoky, helps it you have a vent hood for your stove (which I don't) but at least open a window.

Flipped this side too early, but oh well, it still ended up good.

Steak with overcooked brussel sprouts, after about 3 minutes rest (doesn't need as much resting from sous vide). A very brown meal. I'd do something different next time as a side for sure.

Perfect medium rare edge to edge.

It's incredibly hard to do this so evenly and perfect throughout the entire steak manually. Sous vide made it almost a guarantee. Every piece of the steak throughout was exactly the same level of "done".

My cat hopped up on the table wondering what the gently caress I was doing with all the pictures. She never does that. She was very curious about the meat though. (I gave her a tiny piece later, but didn't want to reinforce table jumping just then...)

Overall I love this method of cooking. It was way too much food for one person but the great thing about it is how easy it is to scale; you can cook an awful lot of stuff in a water bath at once to the exact same level consistently. You can do the same thing without the fancy cooker with a cooler and a thermometer and a little babysitting, but this Anova cooker makes it really easy. Definitely recommend it if you have an interest in sous vide. Next thing I make with it will actually benefit more from a long, slow cook time.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

that's a delicious looking steak, and a very cute cat. I wonder if Anova has an Android version of their app. I'd have to find someplace for the setup to live when I'm not using it, though.

joke_explainer

meteloides posted:

that's a delicious looking steak, and a very cute cat. I wonder if Anova has an Android version of their app. I'd have to find someplace for the setup to live when I'm not using it, though.

Seems there's two unofficial apps to use with it on android. There's also controls on the unit as well.

The unit itself is small and works with about any pot. I just used the dough tub because its big and transparent but the actual machine is pretty small.

joke_explainer

update: I had leftover steak and eggs for breakfast and it was really good.

poverty goat

:toot:

I did get a sansaire for christmas so my ghetto setup has been retired. it served me well

it was actually a crock pot controller too before i went full retard. i found that the temperature was prone to overshooting way too much for quick things like steaks and fish but it worked ok for long and slow stuff like brisket

anyway i just found this the other day: http://blog.chefsteps.com/2014/09/10-foods-you-didnt-know-you-could-cook-sous-vide/

it has
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHuXaJhRNY&hd=1

and motherfucking squeaky cheese curds?! holyshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mSNJfl9kBE&hd=1

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 6, 2015

joke_explainer

wow that site is awesome. Yeah I'm in love with sous vide. Gonna sous vide some eggs in the morning to spite BYOB's strict boiled egg ruling regime

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

look if you're doing them on the stove top there's just one way is the point

landy.

Bo-Pepper posted:

which one?

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

I know and I agree : ) I just remember the angry threads about it

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

landy. posted:

which one?

code:
Put your eggs in a sauce pan.  
Fill the sauce pan with cold water until the eggs are well covered with water.  
Cover the pan.  
Heat the pan on high until it boils.  
When it boils, turn the heat off.  
Wait ten minutes.
Remove the eggs from the pan and put them in a bowl with cold water.  
You now have hard boiled eggs.

landy.
does that include deviled? I was thinking of trying deviled.

alnilam

Hard boil eggs are a precursor to deviled eggs

joke_explainer

landy. posted:

¡Dios mío! Steer clear of the huevos del diablo!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

landy. posted:

alnilam posted:

Hard boil eggs are a precursor to deviled eggs

yes hard boiled eggs are an ingredient of deviled eggs

you cut each hard boiled egg in half and pop out the yolks into a bowl

mix the yolks with a little bit of mayonnaise mustard salt pepper and vinegar and put the mixture into a sandwich bag

snip off the corner of the sandwich bag and squeeze the yolk mixture into the egg halves or just spoon the mixture in if your a monster

dust with paprika

landy.
does anybody know how to keep rice noodles from sticking together? every time I make a stir fry the noodles become a giant clump and the ingredients won't mix in.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i've never cooked with rice noodles so take any of my thoughts on them with a grain of salt but how long are they out of the water before you add them to the stir fry

i imagine they stick quickly and easily if left to drain too long

perhaps add them from the cooking liquid and into the stir fry immediately after you drain them

alnilam

Bo-Pepper posted:

i've never cooked with rice noodles so take any of my thoughts on them with a grain of salt but how long are they out of the water before you add them to the stir fry

perhaps add them from the cooking liquid and into the stir fry immediately after you drain them

This but also you can toss them in a little oil after draining them to help them stay lubed. Toss them in sesame oil for a bonus flavor experience that will leave you satisfied

the unabonger

landy. posted:

does anybody know how to keep rice noodles from sticking together? every time I make a stir fry the noodles become a giant clump and the ingredients won't mix in.

you could be cooking them for a little too long. also, maybe try giving them a rinse in cold water/massage after you cook them? it can get rid of any excess starh which can be pretty sticky

landy.

Bo-Pepper posted:

I usually do the noodles before anything, so it sometimes takes like half an hour between draining and adding, so this is probably it.

alnilam posted:

This but also you can toss them in a little oil after draining them to help them stay lubed. Toss them in sesame oil for a bonus flavor experience that will leave you satisfied

ALright. I'll do this too. About how much would be a good amount for 8 ounces of noodles

i flunked out posted:

you could be cooking them for a little too long. also, maybe try giving them a rinse in cold water/massage after you cook them? it can get rid of any excess starh which can be pretty sticky

I usually boil some water, take it off the heat, and put the noodles in, and then drain after 10 minutes. I don't know if that's too long or not. I already make sure to rinse with cold water, which has helped it.

Thank you for the advice, everybody.

alnilam

landy. posted:

ALright. I'll do this too. About how much would be a good amount for 8 ounces of noodles

idk, a splash? enough to coat the noodz. I don't really "measure" "things"

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

draining for half an hour is way way too long like i don't even understand what that means it's like talking about how long ago the big bang was like you can give me numbers but my mind can't really comprehend its meaning

alnilam

To cook a stir fry, you must first create the universe

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

also i don't know how similar asian noodle cooking is to pasta cooking but using pasta that still has a good bit of starchy cooking water on them is often a key part to binding the other liquid ingredients into a silky sauce like if you were to drain pasta and then rinse it with water afterwards somewhere an italian grandmother gets cancer

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

draining for half an hour is way way too long like i don't even understand what that means it's like talking about how long ago the big bang was like you can give me numbers but my mind can't really comprehend its meaning

lol yeah thus is mind boggling. You finish your noodles, then go watch a tv show or sonerhung, then finish the less time sensitive stuff? :shrug: Next time get your sauce or w/e ready before hand since it can probably sit at a low temperature a bit longer without being ruined.

Bo-Pepper posted:

also i don't know how similar asian noodle cooking is to pasta cooking but using pasta that still has a good bit of starchy cooking water on them is often a key part to binding the other liquid ingredients into a silky sauce like if you were to drain pasta and then rinse it with water afterwards somewhere an italian grandmother gets cancer

Yeah. Don't rinse them off...

Or if you have to (like cold water b/c they are going to overcook) save some starchy water to splash them with right before mixing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger

Bo-Pepper posted:

its not similar at all really. a good asian noodle dish doesn't have the same sort of sauce as pasta does...