Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trees can only reduce noise so much, if they're that close to the highway try maxing out all the other happiness bars and maybe you can keep them above the complaint threshold.

The "Extended Building Information" mod helps with this, but selecting each city service from the tool bar and making sure the road in front of the house is bright green works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Red_October_7000 posted:

Is interchanges! I've downloaded several interchanges from the workshop, but they don't work very well for retrofitting as so much stuff has to be demolished.

Learn to love demolishing, it's the only way sometimes.

That interchange and the surrounding roads need a lot of un-loving anyway.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 5, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Red_October_7000 posted:

It's foolish question time!

Why do so many people throng to this bus stop? Only a single bus line comes here. In fact I have only 3 bus lines total as I've tried to keep my road traffic down, because my other problem...

A lot of people want to take this route wherever it goes. Consider adding higher-capacity public transport, like a metro system.

quote:

Is interchanges! I've downloaded several interchanges from the workshop, but they don't work very well for retrofitting as so much stuff has to be demolished.

Don't be afraid to demolish stuff. You could totally make enough space in there for a cool looking interchange. People will be temporarily pissed, but your city will be better for it.

quote:

Finally, how do you deal with people who complain of noise even after you've planted so many trees around their apartment block that it looks like Vietnam?

Two options. First, you could ignore them, since it's not really a big deal if one dude is bitching about noise. Also, sometimes streets just get loud due to traffic or whatever temporarily and then the problem goes away, so I wouldn't get too worried if it hasn't been doing this for a while. Second, maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't have residential there. Maybe knock that building down and put in a park or some commercial. That guy won't be complaining and everyone around will be happier.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Learn to love demolishing, it's the only way sometimes.

That interchange and the surrounding roads need a lot of un-loving anyway.

Bold Robot posted:

Don't be afraid to demolish stuff. You could totally make enough space in there for a cool looking interchange. People will be temporarily pissed, but your city will be better for it.

Heh. I've always had an odd relationship with city-building games. When I was a kid, playing SimCity, I'd try to make cities without hospitals or schools, because I didn't like those things. Now, I feel bad knocking over my little electric people's homes to put in a by-pass.

Bold Robot posted:

A lot of people want to take this route wherever it goes. Consider adding higher-capacity public transport, like a metro system.

I already have a metro, but it doesn't duplicate the function of this bus route. I've built my metro around the idea that it will take people from home to work, so all of the lines go from residential to industrial/offices and back. This bus line goes from the cinema in the picture (they function as parks and don't attract the number of people you'd think a cinema would, but they really boost land value -they're from the workshop) to an area near to some offices and shops. Is there a better way to lay out metros?

Bold Robot posted:

Two options. First, you could ignore them, since it's not really a big deal if one dude is bitching about noise. Also, sometimes streets just get loud due to traffic or whatever temporarily and then the problem goes away, so I wouldn't get too worried if it hasn't been doing this for a while. Second, maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't have residential there. Maybe knock that building down and put in a park or some commercial. That guy won't be complaining and everyone around will be happier.

That building, as you can tell by the trees, generates a lot of noise complaints. Perhaps it is just a rotten place for residential after all.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Red_October_7000 posted:

Finally, how do you deal with people who complain of noise even after you've planted so many trees around their apartment block that it looks like Vietnam?

Wait, is that a metro station between those houses? Have you ever checked how much noise that thing makes? It's not really suitable for residential areas. I doubt they're complaining about noise from the highway.

Unless you totally want to rework your infrastructure, you should just rezone that commercial or office or something.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Eiba posted:

Wait, is that a metro station between those houses? Have you ever checked how much noise that thing makes? It's not really suitable for residential areas. I doubt they're complaining about noise from the highway.

Unless you totally want to rework your infrastructure, you should just rezone that commercial or office or something.

Um, it is. That is the metro station where people can get on to go to work. I get the distinct impression that I screwed the pooch on this city...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Red_October_7000 posted:

Um, it is. That is the metro station where people can get on to go to work. I get the distinct impression that I screwed the pooch on this city...
Well, it's not the end of the world. People will walk farther than the sound of the metro. And if you want to cover even more area, that's what buses are for.

Seriously, just make the immediately neighboring buildings commercial and you'll probably be fine with that kind of getup.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Can anybody explain how to use these bus interchanges? Something like: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413136787&searchtext=

I really have no idea :sigh:. I mean, I get it conceptually. You end bus lines there, but where does it go in relation to them? Are they teardrop-shaped spokes eminating from this thing in the middle?

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
Spotted this around the side of my high school.

Extreme bench sitting.

Not even gonna' mention the car.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

That's just the future of parking didn't you see I, Robot

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

insta posted:

Can anybody explain how to use these bus interchanges? Something like: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413136787&searchtext=

I really have no idea :sigh:. I mean, I get it conceptually. You end bus lines there, but where does it go in relation to them? Are they teardrop-shaped spokes eminating from this thing in the middle?

People are really into these things but I don't understand why they're useful. The whole point of buses is that you can make the lines go anywhere without adding any additional infrastructure. What benefit do these things offer aside from like, just having a bus stop in front of your metro station or whatever and just having the bus lines go where they go?

Red_October_7000 posted:

I get the distinct impression that I screwed the pooch on this city...

It's possible. Every city I make I learn new stuff and then start over to take advantage of it.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

insta posted:

I guess these are meant to be useful if you have a single stop on a regional line (train, metro, long-distance bus) that you want to connect a ton of local routes to. I haven't had that situation myself, but maybe the right combination of geography and city size would make it seem like a good idea.

My approach has been to have trunk lines running between major destinations in the city (downtown core, industrial areas, university, maybe a dense residential neighborhood), then feeder lines branching off from those at intervals to cover the outlying areas. I don't usually have more than three or four lines converging in the same place and there's no need for a dedicated transfer station in that situation. Just place stops close enough together and people will walk between them, with overpasses if needed to keep intersections clear.

As for laying out your routes from a station like this, they would probably look kind of like spokes, but you want to avoid open loops and stick to closed lines. Think of it like bicycle spokes. If the ends get too far apart you could start running opposing loop lines to tie the spokes together - like the tire on the bicycle wheel, except you want a parallel loop going in each direction so people don't have to ride all the way around to get to the preceding stop. Or it might be more efficient to just not stretch your local lines that far and rely on regional lines to get people further out.

Check out the public transit section of this guide for good advice on how to use buses and metros: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410236188

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bold Robot posted:

People are really into these things but I don't understand why they're useful. The whole point of buses is that you can make the lines go anywhere without adding any additional infrastructure. What benefit do these things offer aside from like, just having a bus stop in front of your metro station or whatever and just having the bus lines go where they go?

It's possible. Every city I make I learn new stuff and then start over to take advantage of it.

I use one of those kinds of things as a central metro hub for all the spokes going out, and it's got a couple bus lines leading out from it. Definitely partially a decision based on 'ooh pretty' though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Moridin920 posted:

I use one of those kinds of things as a central metro hub for all the spokes going out, and it's got a couple bus lines leading out from it. Definitely partially a decision based on 'ooh pretty' though.
Almost entirely based on ooh pretty. Route availability seems to filter into a decision for a cim to turn to public transportation but their walking radius smooths out a lot of what would be unacceptable in real life and once they decide they are dedicated to the trip. Overlapping distributed routes seem to do just as well or better than hub and spoke designs since the availability is equivalent and people are just as happy to bus hop as take an express.

Never underestimate the allure of ooh pretty though because a lot of the base simulation is pretty simple to work around to just make stuff that looks cool and/or real.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

zedprime posted:

Almost entirely based on ooh pretty. Route availability seems to filter into a decision for a cim to turn to public transportation but their walking radius smooths out a lot of what would be unacceptable in real life and once they decide they are dedicated to the trip. Overlapping distributed routes seem to do just as well or better than hub and spoke designs since the availability is equivalent and people are just as happy to bus hop as take an express.

Never underestimate the allure of ooh pretty though because a lot of the base simulation is pretty simple to work around to just make stuff that looks cool and/or real.

What I've read (from that guide I linked above) suggests that cims will only make 2 or 3 transfers on a trip. I haven't checked that myself though.

If true, it means that you do need some kind of express/long-distance lines to get cims to use transit for long trips, and doing that has worked well enough for me. You don't need actual hubs though; you can just tie in local lines at various points along the regional ones.

There is also some advantage to spreading your lines around and overlapping them a bit; it can allow cims to cross from one local line coverage area to another without going far out of the way to a hub for a transfer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like to use an arrangement sort of like this

3 lines that each cross each other meaning you can get from any stop to any stop with only 1 transfer.
Beyond that I'll just build a grid of subways where every other station is a transfer in the suburbs and a super dense grid where every corner has 2 stations downtown. On a huge grid once again you can get anywhere in 1 transfer.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

kefkafloyd posted:

Cims versus the state of Connecticut.

Nice try, but I don't seen any stop signs on those on ramps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I tend towards a better version of my home city's design, and make spiderwebs. Rays out from a central loop and then a few outer loops for speed's sake.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I made a spiderwebs of subways early on, and noticed that I was actually getting subway car congestion with too many trains trying to stop at the same station.

Since then I've gone to more of a central hub system, I bulldoze a block of my downtown area and plop 4-5 subway stations right next to each other. Each station goes to a different region of the city. It generally works well, though it does create situations where a Cim using the subway would more than doubles their trip length because they have to ride downtown and then back out to the suburbs. This results in some low usage stations because they just decide to drive in those cases.

But my downtown travel plaza? Sees absurd usage figures.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

xzzy posted:

I made a spiderwebs of subways early on, and noticed that I was actually getting subway car congestion with too many trains trying to stop at the same station.

Why? You'd have two lines (each way) at each intersectionary station; the circle, and the ray? Is that too much?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Why? You'd have two lines (each way) at each intersectionary station; the circle, and the ray? Is that too much?

Because eventually you're going to have to branch lines to service new parts of the city and then you end up drawing overlapping routes and if you're not careful, congestion.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

xzzy posted:

Because eventually you're going to have to branch lines to service new parts of the city and then you end up drawing overlapping routes and if you're not careful, congestion.

If you draw the circles at a uniform parallel distance you could expand infinitely without branching the rays. You would lose some efficiency as the rays diverge further and further but it would theoretically work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That sounds suspiciously like planning.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

xzzy posted:

That sounds suspiciously like planning.

Yeah, I advise against it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
FINALLY got my first city above 100,000. It felt like there was something holding it all back. Maybe because I don't care about covering as much land as possible now and want to make things look pretty:

You can also see all of the different techniques I've been trying as I keep moving out.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I really need help understanding cargo trains and maybe industrial zones in general. I have made a couple of cities and my biggest one was around 58,000 citizens. I have been noticing a trend that things simply get out of hand when cargo trains start to get introduced even when I meticulously set up my cities to try to ease traffic and not grow too fast.

What I am basically noticing is that I can keep traffic down everywhere in my city except for cargo train areas. It just seems that as soon as I put one down a herd of trucks come and things just explode too fast in one specific area. To make matters worst, I am sometimes limited to where I can put my rail yard because of where the map may end and where the (starting) train tracks are.

With my recent city I put a lot of effort trying to disperse the train-related traffic to many parts of the city and also to completely seclude external > internal cargo transfers. Despite this, I am still running into major traffic problems and all of it seems to come from trucks that are going to/from industrial railyards.

Here is an example of what I am talking about :

City overview, nothing special

Railyards that have been placed around industrial pockets to try to relieve congestion but it has seemed to create congestion everywhere.

Here is how I set up internal/external train lines. The train from off-map comes in and dumps its materials. It is then immediately loaded up onto another train that is ONLY connected to internal lines. This is done twice as I noticed the external/internal drop off point was getting too congested when it was connected to 3 or more internal final destinations. I also noticed by insulating internal/external lines, I no longer had trains getting backed up off the map.

Bad traffic

More traffic at another rail yard.

Any ideas? I really want to get this going but I am not even sure if it is worth it. I do notice a little bit of an increase in money with rail yards but it doesn't really seem to be worth the headache. I am not quite sure how to do this.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I got a city to like 118k citizens with 1 cargo and 1 passenger rail station. Why do you need so many, would be my first question?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Efexeye posted:

I got a city to like 118k citizens with 1 cargo and 1 passenger rail station. Why do you need so many, would be my first question?

Just having one was destroying traffic in one specific area. I thought by having 2 or 3 I could spread out the congestion but it has seemed to just equally destroy every area I place one in.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I think you need a rethink in the whole city layout. Check out a leaf

And design a practice city like that. Low density residential should always dead end, it you make them loops people will use the road to go places which is bad for small roads. You just want people to use them to access the main roads from their house.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
http://a.pomf.se/rnqhix.webm

Can't remember if I posted this here before or not but this is how I manage my freight train traffic. It handles a solid stream of trucks from the station without ever backing up, all that highway is pretty much just for handling industrial freight. It took like three attempts to get it right. And like Efexeye, I don't have many stations. 2 freight and 3 passenger stations with ~120k pop.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Enigma89 posted:

Any ideas? I really want to get this going but I am not even sure if it is worth it. I do notice a little bit of an increase in money with rail yards but it doesn't really seem to be worth the headache. I am not quite sure how to do this.

It's a bit weird to think about, but you have too many rail yards. Each one summons trains to service it, so you end up with 8x as many trains as you need since each one carries a seemingly infinite amount of freight. Just one rail yard per very large area with a dedicated limited-acces roadway should do the trick - put the railyard at the end of a roundabout, since traffic to a rail yard always approaches from one direction and leaves from another. It looks like you've got your rail yard entrances directly on major roadways, meaning trucks entering and leaving the yard have to cut across traffic.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 5, 2015

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It's a bit weird to think about, but you have too many rail yards. Each one summons trains to service it, so you end up with 8x as many trains as you need since each one carries a seemingly infinite amount of freight. Just one rail yard per very large area with a dedicated limited-acces roadway should do the trick - put the railyard at the end of a roundabout, since traffic to a rail yard always approaches from one direction and leaves from another. It looks like you've got your rail yard entrances directly on major roadways, meaning trucks entering and leaving the yard have to cut across traffic.

Along these lines, I wonder if cargo that would ordinarily be a single shipment is getting split up into multiple truckloads. Trucks can carry enough stuff for multiple deliveries in many cases, and if you have one yard serving a large area maybe it would stay loaded on a single truck. If you have two yards for that same area, now there's a chance that the shipment will get split at the original transfer station and delivered to both stations, resulting in two trucks.

I think the actual impact of that would be highly variable depending on city layout and the whims of the cargo-wrangling logic, but it could be a factor.

The other thing, which Uncle Jam touched on, is that your city layout is pretty weird. The long, strung-out, in many cases dead-end roads you're using are incredibly inefficient. It keeps all the traffic funneled on a single piece of road, for a very long trip, past tons of built-up stuff. Short dead-end roads are great for residential neighborhoods, but generally you want traffic to have multiple routes to choose from. And when you do funnel traffic on to a single road, like a highway or limited-access six-lane expressway, you keep the intersections far apart and put little to no zoning up against it.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

I made a thing. I can't tell if it's beautiful or horrifying.

Should be pretty quick to get around at least.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So has anyone developed a mod that will display angles in degrees yet? Or a mod that lets me *snap* highways to a grid? I find one of my biggest issues getting nice looking interchanges is the inability to snap to various angles or the grid itself.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Poizen Jam posted:

So has anyone developed a mod that will display angles in degrees yet?

Yeah, a couple of days ago actually: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=436253779

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Red_October_7000 posted:

The way I deal with it is by not giving a poo poo :madmax:
Don't like it, move to the city next door and enjoy their poowater lake, shitbirds

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Efexeye posted:

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of having a cargo station or two near major commercial areas. Really helps cut down on road traffic between industrial and commercial areas. Also looks cool to have freight trains zipping around in your city.

On a related note, some dude on reddit figured out that you don't have to use two back-to-back freight stations with a road loop to transfer between regional and local traffic - you can do it with just one station. Topic here.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bold Robot posted:

On a related note, some dude on reddit figured out that you don't have to use two back-to-back freight stations with a road loop to transfer between regional and local traffic - you can do it with just one station. Topic here.

drat nice. I have like 5-6 of those hubs and I'm paying tens of thousands in train station maintenance. Gotta convert 'em now.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I don't see how that actually keeps the lines separate, but if it works, OK. Maybe it's just a matter of how it interacts with the pathing logic. I'll have to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Supraluminal posted:

I don't see how that actually keeps the lines separate, but if it works, OK. Maybe it's just a matter of how it interacts with the pathing logic. I'll have to give it a try.

The idea is that in order to switch lines, a train has to stop at the station. However, trains won't stop unless the station is specifically a destination.