Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bifauxnen posted:

Di Natale is an awesome dude and I am happy with this result. :)

Samies. He has far better media presence than Milne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Dan Didio posted:

What do crazies in the ALP have to do with crazies in the Greens?

There's just something in the water up there.

It's not fluoride though.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Thoughts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

SPEND YOU FUCKS!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Anidav posted:

All parties have crazies. You ignore them.

Now when the overwhelming majority of the parties image and perception by everyone else is defined by them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cartoon posted:

Thoughts?

:spergin: New taxes aren't savings :spergin:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Hahaha, Uhlmann complaining about a presser being one minute late.

e; jesus, the media are really fuckin pissed that nobody told them first

Murodese fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 6, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would say that the QLD Greens image of flouride hating hippies is slightly outdated as Brisbane has become a world city since then and we're slowly catching up to the metropolitan powerhouses of Sydney and Melbourne with investments in high rise construction projects and upgrades to South Bank and West End, it's a shame the QLD only gives half a poo poo about the regional areas but that's pretty much every state government ever.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Hey goons, you may know me as the Anidav of the west. Apparently my work is sending me to Sydney at the last minute and I will be arriving on the 10th. Anyone interested in an Auspol goon meet?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

froglet posted:

Hey goons, you may know me as the Anidav of the west. Apparently my work is sending me to Sydney at the last minute and I will be arriving on the 10th. Anyone interested in an Auspol goon meet?

I am intrigued at the possibility of drinking pink lemonade and vodka like an adult again.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

"Ludlam barely hung onto his Senate seat"

No he didn't, random reporter, he got 15.6% of the vote.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Chris is pretty much a giant tool.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

I would say that the QLD Greens image of flouride hating hippies is slightly outdated as Brisbane has become a world city since then and we're slowly catching up to the metropolitan powerhouses of Sydney and Melbourne with investments in high rise construction projects and upgrades to South Bank and West End, it's a shame the QLD only gives half a poo poo about the regional areas but that's pretty much every state government ever.

ahahahahahahaha

seriously though I'm going to be at the state conference, I'll report on existence of flouride/antivaxxers.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

froglet posted:

When on the 10th? I could do a Sunday arvo drinks with goons

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Murodese posted:

Hahaha, Uhlmann complaining about a presser being one minute late.

e; jesus, the media are really fuckin pissed that nobody told them first

They are all still dark at Gillard over kicking Rudd to the gutters and not informing them of the move beforehand

Anidav posted:

Chris is pretty much a giant tool.

Quote for Truth

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

ahahahahahahaha

seriously though I'm going to be at the state conference, I'll report on existence of flouride/antivaxxers.

gently caress I'm glad someone got the joke.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

Thoughts?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Cartoon posted:

Thoughts?

9) suicide pact by the parliamentary liberal party

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Richard Di Natale has been elected as leader already. Going to be honest, I have no idea who that guy is

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Di Natale: "We are the natural home of progressive, mainstream Australian voters."

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Genuine question: Is the election of co-deputies unusual? And how would it work if, hypothetically, the Greens were elected to government?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

if only hockey read the * before claiming he'd get the budget back to surplus.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

bubblelubble posted:

Genuine question: Is the election of co-deputies unusual? And how would it work if, hypothetically, the Greens were elected to government?

Pretty sure it's the first time it's happened, but it's a party-level position rather than government-level (so it's up to the party). If it went to government, I'm not sure there's any consideration for deputies - that said, there's no consideration for a Prime Minister in the constitution either, so it's not like these things can't be changed.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Q: Christine Milne, any regrets?
A: Trusting Hockey when he said the IGR would look at climate change.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Richard Di Natale has been elected as leader already. Going to be honest, I have no idea who that guy is

It seems like Scott and Adam aren't ready yet. I've heard of him but far less compared to the other two. The best case scenario is of course an increase in the primary vote. We'll see, his first speech as leader was okay but there were a few moments there where he was passive aggressive towards the media.

That'll pop up in a Bolt from the Blue for sure.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Freudian Slip posted:

When on the 10th? I could do a Sunday arvo drinks with goons

I arrive around 4:30pm, and considering how awful plane food is I would certainly be up for drinks and food soon after I arrive.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anyone watching the press address right now? I really like his straight up attitude to their questions.

Edit: Milne seems relaxed next to him, doesn't seem like someone who was pushed.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
God drat Uhlmann is insufferable.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Di Natale is a pretty straight up kind of guy in general

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

God drat Uhlmann is insufferable.

Oh my god, I just turned on ABC and I'm thinking about muting it already

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

Adam being demoted is a surprise?

He hasn't been demoted, he's stepping aside to be with his partner who is expecting.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

He hasn't been demoted, he's stepping aside to be with his partner who is expecting.

poo poo if people still think Greens are not pro-family I don't know what will convince them.
I know, I know, nothing will but that's as family orientated as it gets.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

blindidiotgod posted:

poo poo if people still think Greens are not pro-family I don't know what will convince them.
I know, I know, nothing will but that's as family orientated as it gets.

Persecution of gays.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

open24hours posted:

Did they decide to put a train line in now?

Yeah, there's a rail loop going out from St. Marys.

Murodese posted:

"Ludlam barely hung onto his Senate seat"

No he didn't, random reporter, he got 15.6% of the vote.

Not entirely untrue if you count that he nearly lost before the election result was thrown out.

froglet posted:

I am interested in a goon meat

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

Cartoon posted:

Thoughts?

how do you actually tax day trading without it costing more than the revenue it collects

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Negligent posted:

how do you actually tax day trading without it costing more than the revenue it collects

I think the idea is to legislate a tax on placing bid/put orders of a fraction of a cent, caclulated daily and then rounded to the nearest cent.

It would be fairly easy to levy it per-investor, so HFT traders that put up and cancel tens of thousands of orders will pay some money but nobody else will.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Prime Minister Tony Abbott could be forced to cut a deal with the Greens if the Coalition is to realise plans to eradicate "feral" crossbenchers through changes to the Senate voting system.

Speculation is rising that the government will attempt to pass measures that would effectively sign the death warrant for micro parties immediately before calling the next election.

The justification would be bipartisan recommendations of the Joint Standing Committee on Electoral Matters, which has urged an overhaul of preference deals to prevent micro parties such as Ricky Muir's Motoring Enthusiasts "gaming the system".

But Fairfax Media has learnt that senior Labor figures in the Senate are now convinced that the suggested reforms will deliver the most meaningful long-term electoral advantage to the conservative side of politics. In general, micro party candidates win seats at the expense of the Coalition.

Leader of the Opposition in the Senate, Penny Wong, her deputy Stephen Conroy and Senator Sam Dastyari are understood to be opposed to the reforms despite support for them from Labor MPs on the committee Gary Gray and Alan Griffin.

Importantly, a number of unions have also accepted the danger in moving to an optional preferential "above the line" voting system and are now working to make sure the ALP does not back changes.

They are concerned that the reforms will not only benefit the Coalition but would also entrench players that attract substantial primary votes like Nick Xenophon and the Greens.

NSW Greens Senator Lee Rhiannon has publicly backed all the proposed reforms, including abolishing the group voting ticket. A spokeswoman for Greens leader Christine Milne said on Tuesday that the party stands by that position.

But Fairfax Media has identified an emerging split within the Greens over the issue. There are fears that the adoption of the reforms would come at the expense of Greens candidates in Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia.

Greens support in Queensland is currently tracking at little more than 5 per cent, which means it would rely on preferences to succeed there. Senator Xenophon almost had a second candidate elected at the 2013 election but Greens' Senator Sarah Hanson-Young held on through preferences.

A Greens source warned that the party's supporters would react with fury if the party cut a deal with the Coalition to entrench its representation in the Senate even if there was an upside for the Greens.
Unity within the Greens was severely tested by Senator Milne's deal with Treasurer Joe Hockey in December 2013 to raise the national debt ceiling.

A compromise that would likely be palatable to concerned Greens would see the continuation of preference deals but a restriction that any candidate who pulls a primary vote of less than 4.0 per cent could not be elected. Senator Muir drew half of one per cent of the primary vote in Victoria.

Crossbenchers, who the government relies on to pass the bulk of its legislation, have already warned they will withdraw all support if a bill that threatening their future emerges.

When rumour spread last month that a push was underway, Senator David Leyonhjelm released a snap media release aimed at the government, titled: "A feral crossbench? You ain't seen nothing yet".

He said voting reform would disenfranchise the 25 per cent of voters who did not back the major parties in 2013, saying any change was tantamount to the "Coles and Woolworths of Australian politics deciding to abolish corner shops".

Beware of Splits.

Seriously thpugh above the line preferential voting is objectively a good thing and may contribute to increased senate preferencing as opposed to vote 1 and not know where the gently caress your vote ends up.

Also gently caress the preference whisperer.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

trying to tax a group that collectively makes a crust from working out the loopholes seems like a losing cause?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Announcement: Di Natale for leader, Ludlam/Waters for co-deputy

white privilege dot jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

there is more racial diversity at a stormfront meeting