Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

nitrogen posted:

yes, rebooted, had vmware tools reinstalled, restarted, swore at, kicked, bitten and prayed to.

From the guest OS, what is the status of the VMware Tools service?

Do a "status vmware-tools" from the guest and let us know what it says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Vulture Culture posted:

instead of playing with openstack you can just blow your loving brains out

to qualify this a little bit, openstack does not help you manage complexity so much as it takes complexity to the next order of magnitude. don't get me wrong i'm glad i played with it but anyone wanting to push it into production had better not have other projects going on because dealing with openstack and its deploy tools is going to be your new full time job.

oh, also, getting it to the point where you have actual high availability and the illusion of infinite scale (e.g. a "cloud") is crazy capital-intensive

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Novo posted:

to qualify this a little bit, openstack does not help you manage complexity so much as it takes complexity to the next order of magnitude. don't get me wrong i'm glad i played with it but anyone wanting to push it into production had better not have other projects going on because dealing with openstack and its deploy tools is going to be your new full time job.

oh, also, getting it to the point where you have actual high availability and the illusion of infinite scale (e.g. a "cloud") is crazy capital-intensive

Did you check out the VMware Integrated Openstack distribution? If you have existing vSphere infrastructure it could help cut down on deployment headaches.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Tev posted:

From the guest OS, what is the status of the VMware Tools service?

Do a "status vmware-tools" from the guest and let us know what it says.

Says its running. First thing I checked.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Novo posted:

Cloud is complex. It's suitable for very, very few businesses, honestly. Openstack is awesome if you need it. Almost nobody actually does.

E: real talk:

The business case for openstack is basically "our use case is so generalizable that we can apply :cloud: principles but we have so much inertia in our own hardware or generate so much data locally that hosting it on GCE/Azure/AWS isn't cost effective even if we pay $250k+/yr for 2+ openstack admins to take care of our environment".

Assuming you're even the 1% of businesses like Misogynist's that understand what cloud can offer and aren't jumping on it because it's a buzzword, then wondering what to do with this lead balloon you've acquired.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 5, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tev posted:

Did you check out the VMware Integrated Openstack distribution? If you have existing vSphere infrastructure it could help cut down on deployment headaches.
I'm having such a hard time envisioning a situation where the scale needs of private cloud are present but the $2,500+ per server licensing cost of vSphere is totally inconsequential.

evol262 posted:

Cloud is complex. It's suitable for very, very few businesses, honestly. Openstack is awesome if you need it. Almost nobody actually does.

E: real talk:

The business case for openstack is basically "our use case is so generalizable that we can apply :cloud: principles but we have so much inertia in our own hardware or generate so much data locally that hosting it on GCE/Azure/AWS isn't cost effective even if we pay $250k+/yr for 2+ openstack admins to take care of our environment".

Assuming you're even the 1% of businesses like Misogynist's that understand what cloud can offer and aren't jumping on it because it's a buzzword, then wondering what to do with this lead balloon you've acquired.
We have some interesting hardware requirements that we can't fulfill using public cloud. Hooray boutique use cases!

Novo posted:

OpenStack definitely doesn't remove any kind of complexity. What it does is migrate the difficulty of managing that complexity from one layer (handling instance provisioning and orchestration over a fleet of hundreds or thousands of servers) to another layer (dealing with OpenStack as a full-time operational nightmare that randomly breaks in weird places).

That said, if you go into OpenStack having a really good understanding of the underlying layers (clustered RabbitMQ, etc.) and with a solid infrastructure for handling all the other batteries-not-included parts (monitoring, log aggregation, etc.), the biggest problem with it is how lovely logging is across the entire platform.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 5, 2015

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Anyone played with Canonical OpenStack? I really like the integration with Landscape, but I haven't had much luck getting it up and running (didn't spend more than a couple of hours on it, so far, however).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kachunkachunk posted:

Anyone played with Canonical OpenStack? I really like the integration with Landscape, but I haven't had much luck getting it up and running (didn't spend more than a couple of hours on it, so far, however).

It's the same as everyone else's openstack. Their Juju installer stuff is ok, but Mirantis undisputedly has the best installer if that's what you're into.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

evol262 posted:

It's the same as everyone else's openstack. Their Juju installer stuff is ok, but Mirantis undisputedly has the best installer if that's what you're into.

Oddly I recently worked with VMware's VIO installer and it is actually even better. The only problem of course is you need to be running VMware underneath it all but if that isn't a problem then you're set!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

1000101 posted:

Oddly I recently worked with VMware's VIO installer and it is actually even better. The only problem of course is you need to be running VMware underneath it all but if that isn't a problem then you're set!

I haven't tried VMware's installer yet, but it looks like a wizard from hell. How well does it work if you're not running the whole NSX kit and kaboodle?

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Has anyone upgraded their vCenter 5.5U2's MSSQL database from 2008 R2 to 2014? We're looking to do an in-place upgrade of SQL. The edition (Standard) is staying the same. I can't find any documentation from VMware on this - they have instructions for upgrading from SQL Express to the full version and for changing SQL servers, but nothing on an in-place.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

evol262 posted:

I haven't tried VMware's installer yet, but it looks like a wizard from hell. How well does it work if you're not running the whole NSX kit and kaboodle?
It probably doesn't at all without NSX. Didn't refer to its documentation yet. I could probably just try it anyway and see how badly it explodes, maybe!

Richard Noggin posted:

Has anyone upgraded their vCenter 5.5U2's MSSQL database from 2008 R2 to 2014? We're looking to do an in-place upgrade of SQL. The edition (Standard) is staying the same. I can't find any documentation from VMware on this - they have instructions for upgrading from SQL Express to the full version and for changing SQL servers, but nothing on an in-place.
FWIW, I'm not aware of any functional changes to worry about with the in-place upgrade. If you're using VC Heartbeat, there may be caveats, though. It isn't really something VMware would be able to reliably document, probably, since it's not their product being updated/replaced. Whatever you do, ensure you have a copy of the database files, and upon loading or attaching on the new (or restored) installation, double-check that your instance name matches from before, and that the Recovery Model is set appropriately (i.e. Simple, unless you're taking very regular backups).

Edit: That said, I'm sure someone here has done what you did, so wait for a better opinion.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 5, 2015

May 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

If you're lacking NSX then you just feed it a bunch of port-groups it can use off your VDS and it will behave liked VLAN backed networks. No fancy routers, no floating IPs. Basically behaves like you're using nova-network.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

1000101 posted:

If you're lacking NSX then you just feed it a bunch of port-groups it can use off your VDS and it will behave liked VLAN backed networks. No fancy routers, no floating IPs. Basically behaves like you're using nova-network.

Neutron works fine with VLAN -backed networks. With fancy routers and floating IPs. Did VMware remove this ability from Neutron?

May 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

Neutron works fine with VLAN -backed networks. With fancy routers and floating IPs. Did VMware remove this ability from Neutron?

I meant to say like nova-network with respect to it's VMware support. At least based on what Red Hat docs/people have told me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

quote:

Openstack

The long and short of it is that moving to INFINITE SCALING! cloud computing from an application deployed in a virtual environment is far deeper than just moving hosting location and platform. If you want to leverage AWS products like EC2 to their true power, you're going to have to redesign the application itself to work with concepts you'll not have encountered from single-server hosting.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 6, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A year and six months ago, our legal department decided to unilaterally sign a contract for S3. They read that cloud storage was cheaper than everything else on the back of a box of cereal and decided they could solve the trouble we've been having -- higher-ed organization of 50k people total, mind you -- and were told Amazon S3 could meet data protection standards that we needed (which it does not).

This was a group of intellectual property lawyers and export control experts who went out and spent six figures on a contract for a storage solution nobody asked for that few of our departments could use. The meeting at which we went over why they needed to look at options for recourse was a fun one -- have you ever tried to explain to someone what the word "no" means?

Edit: I know this isn't a thread for bitching and moaning, but the point is that there's a time and a place for cloud products. Don't just cloud virtualization because cloud virtualization.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

1000101 posted:

Yeah this is pretty much true, I became friends with VCDX 128 and some guy who works at nimble who wrote the VCDX and is like "dude you should work for X/Y/Z"

Might do so, these guys are smart. Maybe my opposition isn't worth to be thought agaisnt but they thought is interesting but whatever.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've been immersed in the world of VMware for the past 2.5 years and I am seeing a lot of talk about many alternatives here (openstack, etc). With the fact that I'll probably be out of a job at the end of this year (company moving to amazon/azure) they don't need me anymore, what would be a good platform to really get to know from here that is an alternative to vSphere?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've been immersed in the world of VMware for the past 2.5 years and I am seeing a lot of talk about many alternatives here (openstack, etc). With the fact that I'll probably be out of a job at the end of this year (company moving to amazon/azure) they don't need me anymore, what would be a good platform to really get to know from here that is an alternative to vSphere?

I want to expand my skill set outside of vSphere as well. I think I am going to start labbing with oVirt (KVM on Linux).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you want a direct alternative to VMware, I'd suggest either Hyper-V or oVirt like Moey said. Depending on your interest and comfort level with Windows vs Linux.

If you'd like to branch out and learn ~~the cloud~~ instead of traditional virt, look into AWS. OpenStack is cool, but it is a complete bitch to use. I say this as someone who has to run it in production. I'd also wager there are at least an order of magnitude more jobs asking for AWS experience than OpenStack. If not two.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 7, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It's not like moving to whatever cloud provider is going to completely elmi ate management of all these systems.

Learn Azure, AWS, etc

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Docjowles posted:

If you want a direct alternative to VMware, I'd suggest either Hyper-V or oVirt like Moey said. Depending on your interest and comfort level with Windows vs Linux.

If you'd like to branch out and learn ~~the cloud~~ instead of traditional virt, look into AWS. OpenStack is cool, but it is a complete bitch to use. I say this as someone who has to run it in production. I'd also wager there are at least an order of magnitude more jobs asking for AWS experience than OpenStack. If not two.

Much appreciated. I am very comfortable with Linux so I'll pursue the oVirt route .. AWS training is available here so I might as well poke around with it too. I like VMware but I try to keep my experience as broad as I can with things changing so quickly.

Tab8715 posted:

It's not like moving to whatever cloud provider is going to completely elmi ate management of all these systems.

Learn Azure, AWS, etc

Correct, but they have a lower cost solution offshore who they believe will handle all this perfectly. It's laughable at best as these guys can't manage basic tasks but that's the choice they have made. I'll learn em all!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I like VMware but I try to keep my experience as broad as I can with things changing so quickly.

More people need to understand this. You never want to post hole yourself in one specific technology. It will bite you in the rear end.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mAlfunkti0n posted:

As repeated often in this thread, Openstack is neither an alternative nor a competitor to VMware, except in "VMware" being a euphemistic term for traditional virt in the same way as "Google" is for search, as evidenced by the fact that VMware has their own openstack installer.

If you have to pick a non-VMware alternative for traditional virt, Hyper-V has by far the largest market.

But broadly, learning :cloud: concepts is what you wanna do. Azure, AWS, Openstack, whatever. Images, not templates, use cloud-init user/metadata, pets, etc. oVirt has reasonably good integration will all of these things while also letting you do traditional virt stuff, so it's not a bad choice, but you could just as easily install a couple of VMs on vSphere and use the nova-vsphere driver to use your existing VMware environment as an openstack platform to familiarize yourself.

Or just turn on nested virt and do it that way with Mirantis/Rackspace/RDO/whatever.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Kachunkachunk posted:

FWIW, I'm not aware of any functional changes to worry about with the in-place upgrade. If you're using VC Heartbeat, there may be caveats, though. It isn't really something VMware would be able to reliably document, probably, since it's not their product being updated/replaced. Whatever you do, ensure you have a copy of the database files, and upon loading or attaching on the new (or restored) installation, double-check that your instance name matches from before, and that the Recovery Model is set appropriately (i.e. Simple, unless you're taking very regular backups).

Edit: That said, I'm sure someone here has done what you did, so wait for a better opinion.

I reached out to VMware support too - they're saying that I'll either need to uninstall/reinstall OR upgrade vCenter to a newer version after the in-place SQL upgrade - apparently it messes with the rollup jobs. I'm not 100% sure that is accurate, as the SQL upgrade adviser didn't find anything that wouldn't be carried into the new version.

I'll report back once I do it and let y'all know how it goes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Richard Noggin posted:

I reached out to VMware support too - they're saying that I'll either need to uninstall/reinstall OR upgrade vCenter to a newer version after the in-place SQL upgrade - apparently it messes with the rollup jobs. I'm not 100% sure that is accurate, as the SQL upgrade adviser didn't find anything that wouldn't be carried into the new version.

I'll report back once I do it and let y'all know how it goes.

Depending on the meaning of messes up .. couldn't you just import the roll up jobs again? They have had me do that in the past...

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Maybe. But turns out we're a minor patch behind on vCenter anyways, so the upgrade option will be our best bet.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I wound up just upgrading to 2014, and not doing the vCenter patch. The rollup jobs are running just fine, and vCenter is happy. The whole process took maybe 30 minutes and was a click-click-click type of operation.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
"Venom" security vulnerability threatens most datacenters

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Heavens, not our QEMU servers with virtual floppy drives attached

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

This part is rather important. I am glad they hid it so well.

"The bug is in QEMU’s virtual Floppy Disk Controller (FDC). This vulnerable FDC code is used in numerous virtualization platforms and appliances, notably Xen, KVM, and the native QEMU client.

VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Bochs hypervisors are not impacted by this vulnerability."

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Virtualized Environment Neglected Operations Manipulation

jfc blow it out your rear end crowdstrike

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

cheese-cube posted:

Virtualized Environment Neglected Operations Manipulation

jfc blow it out your rear end crowdstrike

They did a hell of a job exploiting the exploit as a marketing campaign.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"Threatens most datacenters"

Don't most people run Hyper-V or VMWare, which are unaffected? I don't know about the Xen marketshare.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol

DevNull posted:

They did a hell of a job exploiting the exploit as a marketing campaign.

quote:

Most media organizations were briefed ahead of time about the discovery and gagged by embargo until the Venom website launched, so they had plenty of time to write.

Many media articles compared Venom to Heartbleed, which is an apples to oranges comparison. If anything, the only commonality is the fact that both flaws had a pre-planned marketing campaign.
http://www.csoonline.com/article/2922066/vulnerabilities/venom-hype-and-pre-planned-marketing-campaign-panned-by-experts.html

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Jeoh posted:

Don't most people run Hyper-V or VMWare, which are unaffected? I don't know about the Xen marketshare.

Yes, this is exactly the point. And while VMware does include a floppy drive by default when you create a vm, unless you are a n00b and/or lovely admin, you have a loving template you spin new vm's off of that does not have it. So yes, this is 'critical' warning is just loving hilarious.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Jeoh posted:

There are some very, very large Xen deployments, as well as KVM. CERN's Openstack instance, AWS, and DigitalOcean alone probably have more servers and instances than every company company in this thread combined once you knock out the vendor people posting here.

Hyper-V and VMware's share of the "datacenter virtualization" market that hosting and :cloud: lives and breathes on is paltry, Azure notwithstanding.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

evol262 posted:

There are some very, very large Xen deployments, as well as KVM. CERN's Openstack instance, AWS, and DigitalOcean alone probably have more servers and instances than every company company in this thread combined once you knock out the vendor people posting here.

Hyper-V and VMware's share of the "datacenter virtualization" market that hosting and :cloud: lives and breathes on is paltry, Azure notwithstanding.
Reread that. They may have more servers and instances, but they do not have "most datacenters."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Vulture Culture posted:

Reread that. They may have more servers and instances, but they do not have "most datacenters."

I think we may just have different conceptions of datacenters here. It doesn't threaten most companies. It doesn't threaten a large portion of racks/cages at colos. But most companies large enough to have a "datacenter" (that they own themselves) instead of a server room have non-VMware/Hyper-V virt somewhere, and the same goes for most colos -- somebody's cage has it.

Not trying to say that some company's "datacenter" of 10 ESXi machines and a SAN is threatened, just that I'm reading "datacenter" in the most optimistic way possible.