Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
(Predictable) Rat spoilers and more Kiwi accent display on last night's Conan if you missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Adorable Kiwi accent which she complains about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This show continues to be a delight to watch every week. I believe that I am in the minority in that I really like Babineaux? Her little bro is great as well.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Rhyno posted:

This show continues to be a delight to watch every week. I believe that I am in the minority in that I really like Babineaux? Her little bro is great as well.

I like him. He plays a pretty likeable straight man to everything insane happening around him. You have to make some sense of what's happening and psychic is just as reasonable as zombie apocalypse to some. Her brother's kind of annoying to me though. It's this whole "Girls" generation thing, so lackadaisical and hipster, bugs the crap out of me.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Rhyno posted:

Nah, Babineaux is a great foil and delivers some pretty funny lines too. Honestly the only actor that doesn't do anything for me is Major. He's not bad, per se, he just seems like the wrong actor for the part somehow.

Agreed the show was a delight too, it's been a while since I've enjoyed a new TV show this much. For me it's filling the gap left by Pysch, which is an awesome thing to have a replacement for.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Rhyno posted:

I haven't been reading elsewhere, do people not like him? Something about him in the first episode or two did scream "low budget Canadian television" but in my opinion that's passed.

I'm intrigued by his boss. I didn't expect him to use his zombie-ness to protect the other cops given that he's covering up Blaine's kills.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm intrigued by his boss. I didn't expect him to use his zombie-ness to protect the other cops given that he's covering up Blaine's kills.

Why not? I got the sense Blaine's whole industry was extorting people into doing poo poo they don't want to do out of necessity. It doesn't seem that anyone's really "on his side," as much as intractably indebted to him because of what he offers.

Babineaux's boss is probably more or less a well-meaning cop, but then zombie poo poo happened and here he is. Unless he's not; they could probably use more villains.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Xealot posted:

Why not? I got the sense Blaine's whole industry was extorting people into doing poo poo they don't want to do out of necessity. It doesn't seem that anyone's really "on his side," as much as intractably indebted to him because of what he offers.

Babineaux's boss is probably more or less a well-meaning cop, but then zombie poo poo happened and here he is. Unless he's not; they could probably use more villains.

I think I just expected him to be a villain, or at least more actively complicit, for Plot Reasons. We did see Blaine extort the trend spotter lady, but the butcher shop woman seemed more actively enthusiastic (admittedly with less screen time) and the thugs haven't had much character development at all.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I haven't been reading elsewhere, do people not like him? Something about him in the first episode or two did scream "low budget Canadian television" but in my opinion that's passed.
My stepmom hates him to the point where she won't watch the show. I think he's a pretty terrible actor (and I watched Breakout Kings, so I'm pretty confident he won't improve) but I don't think he ruins the show.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Pinky Artichoke posted:

It is always hard being the "normal" guy on a show like this, so it is natural that his character is not that popular.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Soothing Vapors posted:

My stepmom hates him to the point where she won't watch the show. I think he's a pretty terrible actor (and I watched Breakout Kings, so I'm pretty confident he won't improve) but I don't think he ruins the show.

I'm learning thanks to SA that I'm a terrible judge of acting. I wouldn't sign him up for a serious dramatic role, but he seems perfectly adequate for this.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think he's pretty great, and has good chemistry with the rest of the cast. Had no idea there were people who didn't like him!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I'm learning thanks to SA that I'm a terrible judge of acting. I wouldn't sign him up for a serious dramatic role, but he seems perfectly adequate for this.

I think your position is by far the more normal one for a show about a crimefighting zombie psychic

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I think he's pretty great, and has good chemistry with the rest of the cast. Had no idea there were people who didn't like him!

Good chemistry but zero romantic chemistry with Liv, which I like. I wonder if that is throwing some people off since the procedural formula usually has that element in the detective/expert relationship? See Castle, Forever, Bones just off the top of my head plus innumerable instances where the detective lead flirts with an ME type for information.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BarbarousBertha posted:

Good chemistry but zero romantic chemistry with Liv, which I like.

That, in addition to Babineaux (and the show in general) not getting super hung up on the Liv-is-a-psychic cover story as long as it gets results, is definitely a breath of fresh air.

(I may have OD'd previously on episodes of Psych, but I am now permanently allergic to the but...are they really a medium!?! storyline.)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Psych is a funny comparison. I love that the cover story is indeed what would be the whole premise of a USA show and here it's actually a thin papering-over of something far crazier.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Combed Thunderclap posted:

(I may have OD'd previously on episodes of Psych, but I am now permanently allergic to the but...are they really a medium!?! storyline.)

Yeah, that was always the worst part of an otherwise fun show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That said, they're probably laying off that in preference for the inevitable "someone re-opens one of Liv's old cases and discovers the rash of missing brains, sends someone to investigate" storyline. Or they'll have both happen at once.

As much as the characters have been acting like Liv's got a free buffet at her fingertips, she's putting herself in far more danger than some of the other characters. Lowell's supply seems like a better idea, tbh -- though I'm surprised that Liv never thought to offer her food source to her boyfriend.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I appreciate the nod to the comics with Ravi's throw away line about being a were terrier in notWoW.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I like the show but am I the only one who thought Liv was funnier when she was meaner and more disinterested?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hobohemian posted:

I like the show but am I the only one who thought Liv was funnier when she was meaner and more disinterested?

But now she dances and it's friggin adorable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I always get a little weirded out when I see what Rose McIver looks like normally because I think she looks a lot better all zombied up.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

She was really good in Masters of Sex in a totally different type of role.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Axel Serenity posted:

She's also a Kiwi, which I learned for the first time this week. Between this and Masters of Sex, I would have had no drat clue if it wasn't for some behind-the-scenes thing she did.

She also speaks in her normal accent when she does the "stay tuned for scenes from the next episode" credits voiceovers.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

The comic book style art for tonight's episode is out. It's not really spoilery, but, spoilering anyway just in case anyone cares.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

I forget, did the show address the question of it needing to be human brains? Or, more, why it needs to be human brains? If Liv went to a butcher and got calf brains or some other easily-obtained animal, would it just not sustain her or do something weird?

This feels like a thing the pilot addressed and I just wasn't paying attention. Clearly it doesn't work like cow's blood on Angel, where that's fine for sustenance, just less good for X set of reasons.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xealot posted:

I forget, did the show address the question of it needing to be human brains? Or, more, why it needs to be human brains? If Liv went to a butcher and got calf brains or some other easily-obtained animal, would it just not sustain her or do something weird?

This feels like a thing the pilot addressed and I just wasn't paying attention. Clearly it doesn't work like cow's blood on Angel, where that's fine for sustenance, just less good for X set of reasons.

Cow skills and personality traits would suck.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

Cow skills and personality traits would suck.

Hey. It might actually be really chill. Just blissful dumbness.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Megazver posted:

Hey. It might actually be really chill. Just blissful dumbness.

It might just be like getting very, very baked.

Liv gets home, heats up some cow brains, watches some cartoons and chills the gently caress out for a few hours. She could probably use that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

FoxTerrier posted:

The comic book style art for tonight's episode is out. It's not really spoilery, but, spoilering anyway just in case anyone cares.

Dear comic book artists,

Please stop using dumb photoshop filters on hand drawn art.

Sincerely,
Everyone with eyes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the film Warm Bodies human brains allowed the zombies to regain higher brain functions. Maybe that's what's going on here.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

That was a pretty cool twist.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Oooo poo poo! Things are going down!

So, so rooting for Liv to kill Blaine. Does anyone know how many episodes are left? Because they really seem to be building towards a kick rear end finale.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha Ravi, why wouldn't you have Liv handle the zombie rat?

Goddamn this show cannot stop making GBS threads on Major. Every time he tries to do the right thing, his life gets worse. He will probably lose an eye or his leg after his next adventure.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

FoxTerrier posted:

Does anyone know how many episodes are left?

Five more to go. Still plenty of time for poo poo to hit the fan in between cases up until the finale.

Also Ravi better not become a zombie :(

...if only because Liv's way more interesting when she has a non-dead head to bounce things off of if not because Ravi and Peyton would be cute together. :allears:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just gonna say, maybe you can wait to call a chick to ask her out until after you're done handling the zombie rat. Also he saw that the thing ripped through four metal cages

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Ravi cannot become a zombie because he is cute as a cocoa; making him sugar would be travesty. Also a bummer: the fact that cute British rocker gets his brain from Blaine. That doesn't bode well for them and he was really cute too.

What is up with this show getting rid of attractive men?!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This show has done a great job pulling Major out of the cliché love interest role. It's impressive to see how much he can spiral down.

Ravi please stay awesome :ohdear:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 6, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'd kinda been suspecting Lowell had been getting his brains from Blaine, since he seems to be the only game in town currently. Did Liv ask before? I can't remember.

Also, I haven't mentioned it yet but I'm loving the diversity in the characters. It's pretty refreshing to see as wide a net as they've cast here, and to see that they're more than token must-haves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Onean posted:

I'd kinda been suspecting Lowell had been getting his brains from Blaine, since he seems to be the only game in town currently. Did Liv ask before? I can't remember.

Yea he said something about getting them from a funeral home or something.

• Locked thread