Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hauki posted:

Foodinistas, what should I eat and or drink in DC?

Depends on what you're in the mood for. If money is no object go to minibar or komi. Other solid choices are Jaleo, Proof, Zengo and Chez Billy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I really wish that my work would stop having pot luck lunches. It's always so depressing.

So far for this year's Cinco de Mayo pot luck, we have the following contributions:

- Vegetarian taco filling (they bought pre-packaged soyrizo and will microwave it)
- Mexican rice (several take-out containers from the mexican restaurant on the corner)
- Tomatoes (whole. He expects someone to cut them up for him because "I don't know how and it's not worth my time")
- Black bean side dish. Just black beans, from a can. That's all.
- Dessert is "carmelitas" - apparently a rice crispy-type bar with caramel. "Well, it sounds Mexican!"

I ended up with salsa, and spent yesterday evening shopping and then preparing roasted tomatillo salsa, fresh tomato salsa and mange pineapple habanero salsa (fingers are still tingling).

I should have just bought a few jars. Oh well, hopefully the other items that haven't shown up yet will be better. There's supposedly some sort of slow-cooker pork carnitas and a layered "Taco dip" to look forward to as well.

Oh, and there's beer and limes. At least we have that!

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Soyrizo sounds like the most disgusting thing ever.

The only thing more absurd that I can think of is vegan and gluten free mac and cheese (which loving exists lol)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
soyrizo? seriously?
at least you can assume the microwave will not make it worse...

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

paraquat posted:

soyrizo? seriously?
at least you can assume the microwave will not make it worse...

edit to add: I'm currently trying to envision your salsa's on any of these dishes...pretty depressing.

edit to add, number two: remember to empty your plate.

edit to add, number three: apparently I didn't add my additions to my original post, I'm probably drunk.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EVG posted:

I really wish that my work would stop having pot luck lunches. It's always so depressing.

So far for this year's Cinco de Mayo pot luck, we have the following contributions:

- Vegetarian taco filling (they bought pre-packaged soyrizo and will microwave it)
- Mexican rice (several take-out containers from the mexican restaurant on the corner)
- Tomatoes (whole. He expects someone to cut them up for him because "I don't know how and it's not worth my time")
- Black bean side dish. Just black beans, from a can. That's all.
- Dessert is "carmelitas" - apparently a rice crispy-type bar with caramel. "Well, it sounds Mexican!"

I ended up with salsa, and spent yesterday evening shopping and then preparing roasted tomatillo salsa, fresh tomato salsa and mange pineapple habanero salsa (fingers are still tingling).

I should have just bought a few jars. Oh well, hopefully the other items that haven't shown up yet will be better. There's supposedly some sort of slow-cooker pork carnitas and a layered "Taco dip" to look forward to as well.

Oh, and there's beer and limes. At least we have that!

My department is having a Cinco de Mayo potluck today as well (I declined to participate) and the offerings are as sad as you would imagine. We've got ground beef in a slow cooker with taco mix! And shredded iceberg lettuce, whooooooaaaaaaaaaa! It's so ethnic I don't know what to do with myself.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
we only did potlucks for Christmas at work, but they finally caved and they hire a pretty good caterer these days.
maybe that's what all your coworkers are aiming for?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trump card for office potlucks: cold breaded chicken pieces. Cheap, simple, portable, and loving awesome.

I wouldn't even care if it was an ethnic holiday like Cinquo de Maio. gently caress it. Rub 'em in smoked paprika and bread them with cornmeal. It'd easily be the best thing on the table when sitting next to the Tostitos salsa and various cream cheese monstrosities.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Trump card for office potlucks: cold breaded chicken pieces.

You mean chicken nuggets?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You mean chicken nuggets?

Yes. :suicide:

No. I mean legs/thighs/wings etc. Fried or roasted - picnic style cold chicken.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Paper With Lines posted:

Soyrizo sounds like the most disgusting thing ever.

The only thing more absurd that I can think of is vegan and gluten free mac and cheese (which loving exists lol)

Somewhere in my old phone is a photo of canned vegetarian haggis.

No potlucks at work for me anymore, which is kind of a shame because I love funeral potatoes and jello salad.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

bartolimu posted:

It truly is the end times.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

bartolimu posted:

Anyone got a giant growing :gonk:?

:gonk:

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

bartolimu posted:

No potlucks at work for me anymore, which is kind of a shame because I love funeral potatoes and jello salad.

I take it you worked with a lot of mormons?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I think I lucked out on work potlucks for the most part. Sure there was some nasty poo poo, but we also had smoked salmon, Italian sausage sandwiches, and homemade habanero salsa. And things that I made usually went quick, including Viet summer rolls, salsa verde, etc.

My potluck trump card is a bloody mary bar, though. A big thing of mix with an array of garnishes.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
But you can make really good veggie tacos with nopales. :(

Wtf is wrong with people

e: I won the company salsa competition today, out of 13 salsas, 5 of which came from my cooks, I won with a cilantro chutney that consisted of: cilantro, Serrano, garlic, ginger, lime juice, and kiwi pureed. It was a joke entry, LOL. It was legit delicious, and hot as gently caress but I did not expect to win.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 5, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you the chef or owner of a kitchen? If so, were the judges blinded to that fact?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
It was blind, yeah. And its a hotel, had like 200ish votes, I won with 50 something.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Vegetarian haggis is actually surprisingly good. When I lived in Scotland, I ate a lot of haggis, and the veggie stuff was almost as good as the real thing.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I guess it doesn't look toooooooo offensive.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2015/jan/22/how-to-cook-perfect-vegetarian-haggis

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Vegetarian haggis is actually surprisingly good. When I lived in Scotland, I ate a lot of haggis, and the veggie stuff was almost as good as the real thing.

The traditional cooking medium is meat. If you fry the eggs in bacon fat they're not vegetarian anymore. How the gently caress is it haggis if you don't cook it in sheep's stomach? It's not. It's goddamn oatmeal with mushrooms and nutmeg.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don't disagree with you, but almost all haggis nowadays is cooked in an artificial casing, not a sheep's stomach.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Well that's just not cricket.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Hauki posted:

Foodinistas, what should I eat and or drink in DC?

Peter Chang has just opened two new places, one in Falls Church, the other in Rockville (yes, I know neither are DC). The Falls Church one has been open about a month longer and having been there four times now it's very good (been to the Rockville one once).

There is also an entire DC dining thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529926

My recommendations: great BBQ (best for ~150 miles) at DCity Smokehouse in Truxton Circle. Komi if you want an expensive tasting menu. Beau Thai or Thai X-ing (should be obvious what cuisine this will be). Izakaya Seki is pretty great japanese food, as is Daikaya. Union Market has a bunch of different vendors and places to eat, Neopol Smokery is my favorite place for a weekend breakfast. Oyamel is very good mexican food.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartolimu posted:

The traditional cooking medium is meat. If you fry the eggs in bacon fat they're not vegetarian anymore. How the gently caress is it haggis if you don't cook it in sheep's stomach? It's not. It's goddamn oatmeal with mushrooms and nutmeg.

The core of haggis is to make a sausage with the cheapest ingredients possible. An all oatmeal haggis boiled in a cast off plastic bag would probably be the most authentically Scottish food ever.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Scientastic posted:

Agreed, I spent a couple of weeks in Scotland with my wife and she would only eat the vegetarian kind. The imitation stuff is pretty tasty and even trying them side by side it wasn't obvious which dish was more authentic.

Does anyone have any recipes for haggis? Vegetarian would work too since those ingredients are probably going to be a lot easier to find in the states.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Booking trip to Amsterdam, Zurich and Bath. Excited.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Horn posted:

Agreed, I spent a couple of weeks in Scotland with my wife and she would only eat the vegetarian kind. The imitation stuff is pretty tasty and even trying them side by side it wasn't obvious which dish was more authentic.
I'll give you a hint: it was the one with meat in it.

I love oatmeal and could eat it every day. I'd happily make a mushroom porridge, season it with nutmeg and other traditional haggis seasonings, and steam it in corn husks or banana leaves or whatever. It would be delicious. It just wouldn't be haggis, and calling it haggis is a profanity as profound and horrible as "cashew cheese" or "tofurkey" or the only swear word I know in Maltese.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My traditional haggis turned out ok!

Except I subbed the nutmeg for some allspice since I'm sensitive to nutmeg.

And I swapped out the oatmeal for quinoa to be healthier.

I also swapped the weird organ meats for some boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

I also put in coconut oil instead of animal fats.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bartolimu posted:

I love oatmeal and could eat it every day. I'd happily make a mushroom porridge, season it with nutmeg and other traditional haggis seasonings, and steam it in corn husks or banana leaves or whatever. It would be delicious. It just wouldn't be haggis, and calling it haggis is a profanity as profound and horrible as "cashew cheese" or "tofurkey" or the only swear word I know in Maltese.

qft

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

lol if u want to eat a fruit up north

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 6, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Meh, the woman has made some cashew cheese that she cultured with real cheese mold, and I can admit that I liked it a lot. She made a pimento-cheese knock off that was excellent, would probably fool your average slob.

She also buys vegan hotdogs on the rare occasion that she doesn't want to cook (they are too pricey to keep on hand). I've relentlessly mocked her vegan hot dogs for years now, as it just seems so... wrong. But then I ate one last week, and I have to admit that it was pretty drat good.

Vegetarian haggis, though... that's a fridge too far.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Squashy Nipples posted:

Meh, the woman has made some cashew cheese that she cultured with real cheese mold, and I can admit that I liked it a lot. She made a pimento-cheese knock off that was excellent, would probably fool your average slob.

She also buys vegan hotdogs on the rare occasion that she doesn't want to cook (they are too pricey to keep on hand). I've relentlessly mocked her vegan hot dogs for years now, as it just seems so... wrong. But then I ate one last week, and I have to admit that it was pretty drat good.

Vegetarian haggis, though... that's a fridge too far.

Fake meat has been getting better and better recently. I tried a fake ground beef that was spot on for the real thing, and there are fake chicken strips that I'm told are extremely convincing. I have tried daiya at a vegan friend's house, too, and it was really tasty - the flavor isn't 100% there, but 90%, and the texture is perfect.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

lol if u want to eat a fruit up north
The blackberries are cheap, more than one kind of fruit at a time is extravagant

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I never thought that I would encounter a tres leches cake that I didn't like. I don't know how they managed to eff this up, but it was just... bad. How can a cake be both slimy and dry at the same time?

The crock-pot pork was inoffensive and made an okay taco with the mango salsa. And there was a pinata and beer. And best of all, it's over until next year!

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I have tried daiya at a vegan friend's house, too, and it was really tasty - the flavor isn't 100% there, but 90%, and the texture is perfect.

Daiya is loving evil fake cheese.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Echeveria posted:

Daiya is loving evil fake cheese.

Did you get the shredded or block/wedge stuff? Different brands might be different quality, too. I had the block cheddar-style daiya from Trader Joe, and it was delicious grated on top of vegan chili fries.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Just want to point out that mindphlux and I agree on a thing. Christmas in May, everyone.

EVG posted:

I never thought that I would encounter a tres leches cake that I didn't like. I don't know how they managed to eff this up, but it was just... bad. How can a cake be both slimy and dry at the same time?

I don't know, but that sounds terribly sad. I've had so-so tres leches but never an outright bad one.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Fake meat has been getting better and better recently. I tried a fake ground beef that was spot on for the real thing, and there are fake chicken strips that I'm told are extremely convincing. I have tried daiya at a vegan friend's house, too, and it was really tasty - the flavor isn't 100% there, but 90%, and the texture is perfect.

gently caress fake meat. I'll happily eat any vegetarian dish just so long as it's not lying to me about what it is.

gently caress it doubly if it's 95% good. gently caress the lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sometimes I get a huge craving for the Morningstar fake chicken nuggets and bbq sauce mixed with honey. :ohdear: