Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

pac man frogs posted:

The walls are fabric hung from (something) behind plexiglass with peel & stick floor vinyl tiles that extend down to the floor. We weren't able to figure out where it actually drains to - the toilet goes into the main sewer line, but running the shower is a bit sketchy because that water doesn't show up anywhere.

Give the wall a good shove and it wobbles back and forth about 3-4" and the fabric dances about. No idea what's on the other side of all of that.

haha what on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Baronjutter posted:

Holy christ.. what.. curved tiles? What the gently caress am I looking at?? Are those tiles or some sort of laminate/countertop material?! Your first picture looked just like a lovely shower but jesus christ that 2nd picture.

If you look up above the stick 'tile', whatever that stuff is in the first picture and see that blue - that's the fabric.

Edit: The whole stick-tile-vinyl stuff is a recurring theme through this place. Here's the kitchen in an upstairs unit where the inspector stuck his finger through accidentally to the left of the stove. Apparently it's just all stick vinyl floor tile slapped over studs. No sheetrock, wood, anything.

Of course, it's painted. I dunno why, but it is.

Frequent Handies fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 30, 2015

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
F. Fabric. Is this, like, a jury-rigged shower stall with curtains on all sides that's been pathetically converted into a potemkin tiled shower, is that's what's going on there

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Here's another kitchen, the inspector just pointed at this and I stared at it for like 30 seconds before going "ooooh". At this point it wasn't like, obviously falling apart or held on by (literally) gold duct tape so it took me a minute.

Ah, found some of the decorative(?) gold tape

Frequent Handies fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 30, 2015

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Ambrose Burnside posted:

F. Fabric. Is this, like, a jury-rigged shower stall with curtains on all sides that's been pathetically converted into a potemkin tiled shower, is that's what's going on there

Honestly couldn't tell you. What's on the other side of that shower is a concrete stairwell that goes down into the basement unit, so either there's some sort of big gap with who knows what lurking inside. Like, really who knows - the attic had a truck fender and a toilet hanging out up there. It wouldn't've been easy to get either of them in there either - I don't think the fender can actually come back out now.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

pac man frogs posted:

I did my first house inspection on Monday and saw a whole lot of awesome gems. We knew this place was going to need some work, but really...

This is the bathroom in the ADU. Just take the thought process that put this together in the first place, then extend that to literally any single aspect of this entire chopped up colonial turned quadplex(ish). It just gets fractally weirder the closer you look.

See if you can unravel all of the layers that make up the majestic glory that is this shower.

When I first saw this, I really thought it was a rococo telephone in the shower: "Honey, bring me some soap, pleeeeeaasse".

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

pac man frogs posted:

Here's another kitchen, the inspector just pointed at this and I stared at it for like 30 seconds before going "ooooh". At this point it wasn't like, obviously falling apart or held on by (literally) gold duct tape so it took me a minute.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/photos/3035%20NE%2080th/IMG_1389.JPG?_subject_uid=461380&w=AAA9KrLH-J9VOJQQ-y8lMyXQYwU8lv0ULY0Drk4watwaKw

Ah, found some of the decorative(?) gold tape

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/photos/3035%20NE%2080th/IMG_1334.JPG?_subject_uid=461380&w=AAC7IA4TtWmK25OGksca7oKfrYmnm74xgYFp2pJstRGhYg
These image links don't seem to be working.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pac man frogs posted:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/photos/3035%20NE%2080th/IMG_1419.JPG?_subject_uid=461380&w=AADAShk9e8eJqQfBi-Mp-T_hAa4fqLHTzso5cTp1Kz7wX

Dropbox photos with a user ID in the URL is not gonna work. Rehost images on imgur for best compatibility with SA posting.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Alright thanks, think I fixed those.

And some bonus of the shower:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's held together with spit and the dreams of scummy contractors. That's incredible. I don't know that I'd feel entirely safe in there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's no way that was done by a contractor. That poo poo screams DIY. DIY by a lovely landlord who wants to get multiple rentable (illegal) units out of a single property for basically the cost of a $300 trip to home depot.

It's amazing. Thanks for fixing the pictures, frogs.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It's held together with spit and the dreams of scummy contractors. That's incredible. I don't know that I'd feel entirely safe in there.

I don't think contractors were ever involved. The exhaust for the dryer in the basement had concrete poured around it and is flush with the ground right outside one of the doors exiting the ADU. Too bad I don't have bigger pics, I cut this out of the report and asked my inspector for a dump of the full res...

Other fun stuff:
* 4 double taps and a triple(!) tap in the panels
* None of the bathroom fixtures are fixed in place (pedestal sinks could be pulled right over, toilets rock back and forth)
* Everything that shouldn't be penetrated is. Nailed down 'floating' vinyl flooring, vinyl siding is nailed in place outside, the roof has a ton of nails through the shingles and every single shower surround has something screwed through it

Our counter ended up being 90k less than previous, seller thought we were crazy. Ah well

Frequent Handies fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 30, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is that an air intake next to an air output?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

pac man frogs posted:

I don't think contractors were ever involved. The exhaust for the dryer in the basement had concrete poured around it and is flush with the ground right outside one of the doors exiting the ADU. Too bad I don't have bigger pics, I cut this out of the report and asked my inspector for a dump of the full res...

Other fun stuff:
* None of the bathroom fixtures are fixed in place (pedestal sinks could be pulled right over, toilets rock back and forth)
* Everything that shouldn't be penetrated is. Nailed down 'floating' vinyl flooring, vinyl siding is nailed in place outside, the roof has a ton of nails through the shingles and every single shower surround has something screwed through it

Our counter ended up being 90k less than previous, seller thought we were crazy. Ah well

Your counter should have been a request that they give you hazard pay to walk through that hellscape.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait someone wants to sell this nightmare and you met them?!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Sorry, I can't think straight looking at all this. It's all some sort of joke, right? Because I would have thought that someone bashing together fixings like that would have to accidentally get something SORT of right, but no, it sounds like a barely functional fire hazard threatening to keel over at the slightest touch.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

pac man frogs posted:

Other fun stuff:

That looks like an excellent house with just a few minor DIY projects, think of it as an opportunity to customize the house to your liking. We have all seen this before, we know what is about to happen.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Crotch Fruit posted:

That looks like an excellent house with just a few minor DIY projects, think of it as an opportunity to customize the house to your liking. We have all seen this before, we know what is about to happen.

Not everyone is as brain damaged proficient in DIY skills and house rebuilding as Kastein. :v:

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

I'll admit Kastein was an inspiration in still trying to get the place, but the seller thinks he's going to get all-cash at the tax appraisal value.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

pac man frogs posted:

I'll admit Kastein was an inspiration in still trying to get the place, but the seller thinks he's going to get all-cash at the tax appraisal value.

If anyone's dumb enough to pay that much, then hey, more power to them; otherwise it sounds like you may have to wait a month or so and then make your offer again once the seller realizes nobody's biting.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Just saw this on Facebook

You might be thinking he's just laying it out to fit, but no, I guarantee you this is pretty much the final product.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Long Francesco posted:

Just saw this on Facebook

You might be thinking he's just laying it out to fit, but no, I guarantee you this is pretty much the final product.

Well hey, as long as he doesn't mortar them into place he'll be able to take them off and do it properly once the ground beneath shifts!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I didn't know dick diddly squat when I started working on my house, aside from some wiring/plumbing/roofing skills, and it shows. Anyone can learn this poo poo.

... do you want to though? You know if he hosed up the visible stuff that bad, some ggrevious sins have been committed against the structure as well. Run, do not walk, away from that house. The rot problems are probably either covered up or ignored. If you want a project, get one that is already priced like one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, your describing everything as being only a flimsy vinyl facade that you can poke through with a finger is terrifying. I'd run screaming, except that running would probably bring the place down.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So get this...

My condo is in a flood zone (2nd floor, so-cal lol), and at the time it just required me to buy some stupid expensive flood insurance for my unit. Well, the law changed and any loan backed by Fannie or Freddie now has to have a master policy the HOA owns. Now normally this is a great thing, as it would mean I can cancel my individual policy and let the HOA do a big buy and probably have me paying less than I was for my individual policy ( right now I pay $1300 yearly).

So here is where it gets fun, my HOA refuses to buy insurance as nothing mandates them to. So when I was approached by my loan company for a no cost refi which would get me a lower interest rate and remove PMI, the loan fell through as the HOA is missing the policy and has been refusing to acknowledge the need for them to buy it. Units occasionally sell for cash which are bought by companies hoping to rent them, but nobody is really selling so I am left here screaming at the HOA by myself as nobody seems to have this problem.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Never live anywhere with a HOI or strata council.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

So get this...

My condo is in a flood zone (2nd floor, so-cal lol), and at the time it just required me to buy some stupid expensive flood insurance for my unit. Well, the law changed and any loan backed by Fannie or Freddie now has to have a master policy the HOA owns. Now normally this is a great thing, as it would mean I can cancel my individual policy and let the HOA do a big buy and probably have me paying less than I was for my individual policy ( right now I pay $1300 yearly).

So here is where it gets fun, my HOA refuses to buy insurance as nothing mandates them to. So when I was approached by my loan company for a no cost refi which would get me a lower interest rate and remove PMI, the loan fell through as the HOA is missing the policy and has been refusing to acknowledge the need for them to buy it. Units occasionally sell for cash which are bought by companies hoping to rent them, but nobody is really selling so I am left here screaming at the HOA by myself as nobody seems to have this problem.

This is the same HOA that made me repair my garage door, and paint said garage door which is clearly on the exterior of the building. They also tried to tell me it was my fault the drain for the condensation line was at the foot of my stairs and was growing slippery mold at the foot of the staircase.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Crappy Construction Tales: Everything That Shouldn't Be Penetrated Is.

"The doctor says my walls wouldn't bleed nearly so much if I could just keep my finger out of them."

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
My coworkers HOA mandates that the mandatory trees in his yard have branches at the same height.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Must be funny looking trees.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
They have to be at the same height for some degree of symmetry. Of course, if he ever wants to change his landscaping around he has to submit a landscaping plan and pay $100.

That tree looks kinda like a brain, what is it a dracena?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Leperflesh posted:

There's no way that was done by a contractor. That poo poo screams DIY. DIY by a lovely landlord who wants to get multiple rentable (illegal) units out of a single property for basically the cost of a $300 trip to home depot.

It's amazing. Thanks for fixing the pictures, frogs.
Did you have permits pulled for it? I used to prep REO closings and it was always fun to see something described as a 3 unit by the client when the zoning permit only allowed for 2 units.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Gardenator posted:

That tree looks kinda like a brain, what is it a dracena?

One of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracaena_cinnabari

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
Huh, whats that bag?

Ah, I see what you did!

I suspect this isn't to code but I don't know much about sewage systems and am curious what is the worst that could go wrong here? Leaking sewer gas? poo poo outflow? Please explain in detail for my edification!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Huh, whats that bag?

Ah, I see what you did!

I suspect this isn't to code but I don't know much about sewage systems and am curious what is the worst that could go wrong here? Leaking sewer gas? poo poo outflow? Please explain in detail for my edification!

I'd be more concerned with the loving wizard previous owner who can make bags pass through solid pipes

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I'd be more concerned with the loving wizard previous owner who can make bags pass through solid pipes
They just pushed one piece into another with a bag in between. It's a great method for temporary blocking sewer gases. Looks like they left it there permanently. Also, not an ounce of primer on that stack, money well saved.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Nitrox posted:

Also, not an ounce of primer on that stack, money well saved.

You're assuming they bothered to use glue?

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Magnus Praeda posted:

You're assuming they bothered to use glue?

To be fair, doesn't PVC primer also come in clear? I do see residue at the joints, of at least one of primer or glue...

More content: same vent stack

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Where does it come from?

Where does it go?

My theory is irrigating a tree with shower water but that setup doesn't look adjustable and there are a bunch of trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Sump pump discharge?