Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alouicious posted:

there's a thing where if you're transphobic to a trans member of a mercenary group the rest of the mercenary group doesn't like you very much and for some reason that drives people insane

Actually its because being rude to her is the single most damaging thing you can do in the entire game reputation wise, nothing else comes even close to the loss of approval if you're rude to that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bloodborne's gameplay is really good and the setting is phenomenal but the plot really, really sucks. Your goal is to find "paleblood" and end the nightmare. The reality is you dive headfirst into a Nightmare, with no real indication that this is where you want to ultimately go, find out that "paleblood" means the Moon, and the only way to end the nightmare is killing a heretofore unmentioned Great One which is acting as a wet nurse for a baby

All the other games have a logical, motivating goal. Demon's Souls, complete all 5 areas and kill the Old One to lift the fog. Dark Souls, collect the Lord Souls and kill Gwyn. Dark Souls II, take control of the Throne of Want to break the undead curse. In Bloodborne you start with a goal that makes sense, but there's nothing signifying the "end area" at all, you just kill a pretty lackluster "final boss" and see "Nightmare Slaughtered", then you warp back to Hunter's Dream and go stand by a tree to end it. This could be sorta intentional since there's more to seek out and get a better ending, but the abruptness of the final area and lame final boss was pisspoor.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alteisen posted:

Actually its because being rude to her is the single most damaging thing you can do in the entire game reputation wise, nothing else comes even close to the loss of approval if you're rude to that person.

"Actually" my rear end, it was a stupid post.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

death .cab for qt posted:

Bloodborne's gameplay is really good and the setting is phenomenal but the plot really, really sucks. Your goal is to find "paleblood" and end the nightmare. The reality is you dive headfirst into a Nightmare, with no real indication that this is where you want to ultimately go, find out that "paleblood" means the Moon, and the only way to end the nightmare is killing a heretofore unmentioned Great One which is acting as a wet nurse for a baby

All the other games have a logical, motivating goal. Demon's Souls, complete all 5 areas and kill the Old One to lift the fog. Dark Souls, collect the Lord Souls and kill Gwyn. Dark Souls II, take control of the Throne of Want to break the undead curse. In Bloodborne you start with a goal that makes sense, but there's nothing signifying the "end area" at all, you just kill a pretty lackluster "final boss" and see "Nightmare Slaughtered", then you warp back to Hunter's Dream and go stand by a tree to end it. This could be sorta intentional since there's more to seek out and get a better ending, but the abruptness of the final area and lame final boss was pisspoor.

All of the souls games had incredibly short and disappointing endings after how hard you had to work to get to them, so this sounds pretty par for the course.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alteisen posted:

Bioware's hilariously uneven morality judgements have always been funny, the people rushing to defend this one because it's a facile appeal to their identity politics are literally the same as the people defending TOR having torturing and enslaving somebody be a Light Side action because :tvtropes:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gestalt Intellect posted:

All of the souls games had incredibly short and disappointing endings after how hard you had to work to get to them, so this sounds pretty par for the course.

None of them were cryptic.
Or at least as cryptic as Bloodborne's.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sleeveless posted:

Bioware's hilariously uneven morality judgements have always been funny, the people rushing to defend this one because it's a facile appeal to their identity politics are literally the same as the people defending TOR having torturing and enslaving somebody be a Light Side action because :tvtropes:

I don't even know/care if the approval thing is correct because I never bothered to look up the numbers, I said why what you said about the characters being a no-conflict zone was mindbogglingly incorrect.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I take it all back. I didnt know there were two other final bosses if you get the bonus stuff :stare:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

You can commit literal genocide and it's less of a reputation hit than being rude to them, it's pretty out of whack. Like, whatever, transphobia is pretty lovely, but if you ask me if I'd rather be friends with somebody who was rude once or somebody who's like "gently caress it, let's kill a bunch of people", gimme the rude guy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I felt Ashley in ME1 was pretty well done without bring overt. Having her be a Christian, know it was weird, and using her space racism to kind of defend it was interesting. She was a Conservative space racist because everyone blamed her dad for the biggest loss in that First Contact War. She has a chip on her shoulder the size of Wrex. She's really kind of pragmatic about the whole thing.

What was weird is that even though you save the galaxy and each others lives over and over, they never have her grow. She's still a space racist and Jesus lover till the end, though she pays lip service. Her character weakness isnt that she's wrong on stuff, it's that pretty much everyone else grows as a person while she's the static girl.

Plus she has loving pink armor. What the gently caress power Rangers poo poo is that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Typical of all the souls games there's not really ANY plot if you just play through, the plot is all notes and details about things that happened before you started playing. Your story is just you yourself as a player beating bosses; that's the story. The rest is all in item descriptions and stuff like that.

If you'd prefer a more overt story though that's cool, but I feel like most games do that. I like that Souls games don't even try.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

None of them were cryptic.
Or at least as cryptic as Bloodborne's.

The endings weren't cryptic but they were super simple. The games themselves though were super cryptic.

Vaati on youtube made a whole career out of explaining the tons of cryptic details in the souls games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?VaatiVidya

Gets into the many things you probably miss if you just ran through once. There's a lot of really cool symbolism in Bloodborne, but it is totally cryptic. But I like that about the souls' games.

I take it all back. I didnt know there were two other final bosses if you get the bonus stuff :stare:

Yep :getin: Well, One other final boss, or did you choose the lame ending the first time? That would explain so much. LOL.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

*archaeologist looks up from container* "Got a fresh one here!"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's less the story and more the weird ramp-up to "final boss" without any real rhyme or reason. Every other game has a climactic end fight, even if it is easy. This just looked like a regular boss, and if you pick the lame ending choice, the pacing is just all out of whack.

But the real final boss is climactic as gently caress and totally owns

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jastiger posted:

I felt Ashley in ME1 was pretty well done without bring overt. Having her be a Christian, know it was weird, and using her space racism to kind of defend it was interesting. She was a Conservative space racist because everyone blamed her dad for the biggest loss in that First Contact War. She has a chip on her shoulder the size of Wrex. She's really kind of pragmatic about the whole thing.

What was weird is that even though you save the galaxy and each others lives over and over, they never have her grow. She's still a space racist and Jesus lover till the end, though she pays lip service. Her character weakness isnt that she's wrong on stuff, it's that pretty much everyone else grows as a person while she's the static girl.

Plus she has loving pink armor. What the gently caress power Rangers poo poo is that?

Yeah Ashley was an interesting character in ME1 but to have her STILL be a complete tool after all the poo poo she went through with her crew in the first game was completely absurd.The most annoying part about her scene in ME2 was her flipping her poo poo when you mentioned Cerberus. Even after you explain that you're just working for them to solve the mystery and they kind of brought you back from the dead she still acts like you've been slaughtering innocent aliens by the dozens for kicks.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 03:53 on May 6, 2015

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah Ashley was an interesting character in ME1 but to have her STILL be a complete tool after all the poo poo she went through with her crew in the first game was completely absurd.The most annoying part about her scene in ME2 was her flipping her poo poo when you mentioned Cerberus. Even after you explain that you're just working for them to solve the mystery and they kind of brought you back from the dead she still acts like you've been slaughtering innocent aliens by the dozens for kicks.

That poo poo was really dumb. I wanted to go all Adam Jensen and be "I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS" but they wouldn't listen to "hey you shits, I was loving dead" even when you tell them exactly that. It's like they expected Shepard to be clutching a DNR at all times in case a bunch of racist mad scientists found his corpse.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That poo poo was really dumb. I wanted to go all Adam Jensen and be "I NEVER ASKED FOR THIS" but they wouldn't listen to "hey you shits, I was loving dead" even when you tell them exactly that. It's like they expected Shepard to be clutching a DNR at all times in case a bunch of racist mad scientists found his corpse.

I really wish they could have had Garrus or any of your other alien pals from the first game to basically tell her to gently caress off when she goes "Heh, I mean I still kinda hate aliens buuuuut you're a dick for being with Cerberus". You're still a hateful jackass even after Liara or Wrex saved your rear end multiples times during the game?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Starhawk64 posted:

Ashley's a space racist and has a boring skillset compared to Kaiden. :colbert:

Better to have a space racist than a sweaty Carth.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Jastiger posted:

Ashley's racism was a little inconsistent and weird even before her characterization apparently poo poo the bed in 3. One of her properly strong character moments in 1 was that she'd give the Terra Firma protesters an earful because I guess their racism is even more blind than hers. Her space-racism is far more in line with Cerberus (the 'I'm not racist, I just don't trust them' type of racism), and yet she's still fervently against them just because.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

Ashley's racism was a little inconsistent and weird even before her characterization apparently poo poo the bed in 3. One of her properly strong character moments in 1 was that she'd give the Terra Firma protesters an earful because I guess their racism is even more blind than hers. Her space-racism is far more in line with Cerberus (the 'I'm not racist, I just don't trust them' type of racism), and yet she's still fervently against them just because.

Exactly. If there was anyone that'd be sympathetic to Cerberus it'd be her. Definitely in the second and third games ideologically. That really seemed strange to me that she'd be so mad about a human supremacy group when she was basically living that life the first two games.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cleretic posted:

Yeah most of Ashley's objections to aliens in the first game were more in line with 'aliens as standins for human nations' kind of deal. Like she doesn't like turians because they had a war against humans in living memory, one that discredited her grandfather, and relationships between humans and turians are still frosty, but she's not all "go eat some some seed birdman". Really more political than racial. Not right, but less wrong.

except when she makes a comment about not being able to tell aliens apart from animals...

then in ME2 and on it's all, yep, fully racist.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Europa Universalis IV: A simple foreign policy objective ("beat up a weak two-province neighbor") can be absurdly complex to actually accomplish because of byzantine alliance networks that tend to not favor the player. AI countries are heavily biased toward defensive requests when deciding to honor an alliance, even if they're allied with both you and the target, so in my most recent game it felt like half of starting a war was keeping my own allies from turning around and helping the other guy even though I'd honored every call to arms they'd given me in the last 75 years. In a lot of ways this isn't really such a bad thing, but it can become SO frustrating, and it starts to feel like the little tweaky balancing rules of the game are hampering me more than the core mechanics of troops and battles.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

StandardVC10 posted:

Europa Universalis IV: A simple foreign policy objective ("beat up a weak two-province neighbor") can be absurdly complex to actually accomplish because of byzantine alliance networks that tend to not favor the player. AI countries are heavily biased toward defensive requests when deciding to honor an alliance, even if they're allied with both you and the target, so in my most recent game it felt like half of starting a war was keeping my own allies from turning around and helping the other guy even though I'd honored every call to arms they'd given me in the last 75 years. In a lot of ways this isn't really such a bad thing, but it can become SO frustrating, and it starts to feel like the little tweaky balancing rules of the game are hampering me more than the core mechanics of troops and battles.

:allears:

Let me tell you about EU3, and the twenty nations that guaranteed/allied Athens while I was playing Byzantium.
seriously, EUIVs ally system is tits. .

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

A White Guy posted:

:allears:

Let me tell you about EU3, and the twenty nations that guaranteed/allied Athens while I was playing Byzantium.

I skipped EU3 when I couldn't get the textures to install correctly. I'm not really feeling like I missed that much.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

peter gabriel posted:

Too much bad language in GTA 5 for me, I don't like it so much.

I just want to know if the script for Lamar actually had the word "nigga" twice in every sentence, or if the VA added that in himself.

Whoever did the voicework and mocap for Lamar is my favorite, he's the best character in the game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A mission in Chroma Squad (Sentai/PR simulator/strategy game) is annoying as gently caress:

You start with five characters, but two leave early on. One of them is a major damage-dealer for you. With the remaining Spandex Punchmans you have, you're tasked with defeating a boss who has three salient traits:

- High HP / Armored
- Has a strong knockback move that can and will push you back at least 1 or 2 turns movement away
- Spawns 3/4 clones of itself

Oh, and you really don't have multi-target attacks on any of your three Punchmans that you can consistently do. Hope you have enough money to buy specific gear for one fight, which I'm not sure I have!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unlike far cry 3, it doesn't aggressively and repeatedly beat you about the face with how horribly silly and racist it is in unskippable 5-minute long cutscenes that you have to endure for almost every plot mission. A ton of the content is gated behind doing these plot missions so you can never get away from it for long. Once FC3 started going downhill it didn't loving stop, although maybe the worst was in the middle of the game where it forces you into a hilariously out-of-place giant boss fight because drugs, before turning into a porn movie. The ending was almost worse though. I tried to replay it and I just couldn't sit through that poo poo again.

FC2 has a couple important flaws that are hard to ignore, but they're almost completely relegated to the gameplay, and if you can live with them then the game has a lot of great qualities that I haven't seen anywhere else.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
That's exactly what's dragging down Far Cry 4 for me. I really don't have the time or patience to listen to Longinus speak spiritual crap for minutes prior to action, same goes for most story stuff. Unskippable cutscenes are hell.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Kontradaz posted:

That's exactly what's dragging down Far Cry 4 for me. I really don't have the time or patience to listen to Longinus speak spiritual crap for minutes prior to action, same goes for most story stuff. Unskippable cutscenes are hell.

It's Longinus' lips that do it for me. They're gross, and he's always so loving close to the camera. Honestly, most of the side characters need to shut the gently caress up and let me get back to shooting things in the dick. Except Pagan. He's awesome.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Unlike far cry 3, it doesn't aggressively and repeatedly beat you about the face with how horribly silly and racist it is in unskippable 5-minute long cutscenes that you have to endure for almost every plot mission. A ton of the content is gated behind doing these plot missions so you can never get away from it for long. Once FC3 started going downhill it didn't loving stop, although maybe the worst was in the middle of the game where it forces you into a hilariously out-of-place giant boss fight because drugs, before turning into a porn movie. The ending was almost worse though. I tried to replay it and I just couldn't sit through that poo poo again.

FC2 has a couple important flaws that are hard to ignore, but they're almost completely relegated to the gameplay, and if you can live with them then the game has a lot of great qualities that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Yeah, as far as a Ambushing Dudes in the Brush simulators go, Farcry 2 can't be beat. So satisfying once you get C4 and a nice rifle. Not even the Batman or Asscreed games are that great at portraying The Most Dangerous Game type feel as FC 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I just want to know if the script for Lamar actually had the word "nigga" twice in every sentence, or if the VA added that in himself.

Whoever did the voicework and mocap for Lamar is my favorite, he's the best character in the game.

Slink Johnson is a legitimately funny dude on his own. He had a TV show last year where he played Jesus living in modern day Compton.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

It's less the story and more the weird ramp-up to "final boss" without any real rhyme or reason. Every other game has a climactic end fight, even if it is easy. This just looked like a regular boss, and if you pick the lame ending choice, the pacing is just all out of whack.

But the real final boss is climactic as gently caress and totally owns

I just wonder what possessed you - after spending an entire game literally fighting to stay alive - to be presented with the choice "Submit Your Life" and just go "lolz. okay." My response was more like "what? gently caress YOU, old man!"

And I would argue that there really isn't that much more ramp-up to the ending in Dark Souls. You open Gwyn's prison, make it down to a boss fight, then you either link the flame or leave, and you get a 10 second cutscene and that's it. DS2 - not much difference. Demon's kind of had a longer ending, and the boss "fight" against the Old One could have just been part of the cutscene, which would have seemed more cinematic, I guess.

So BB's ending is roughly par for the series, I'd say.

Edit: added spoiler tags because people think that was actually a spoiler. (It's not.)

HaB has a new favorite as of 17:38 on May 7, 2015

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Mokinokaro posted:

Send Thane! He's good in vents!
"Send Grunt, he's good in tubes because he was born in one!"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BB's true ending is way better than any other souls game, but the Nightmare feels like a side area 95% of the time you play it. Wet Nurse doesn't hold a candle to parrying black knights on the way to Gwyn, and if it weren't for the true ending then Bloodborne is easily the weakest in plot pacing and motivation. The actual ending cutscenes, with credits roll and etc, is standard Souls affair. My beef is that the game basically just confuses and misleads you about your main objective, then tosses it aside because it doesnt actually matter, which cuts the motivation to play in half. Also, it doesn't let on that you're fighting through the final area to reach your last objective, then presents a boss (that could be swapped with literally any other one) as your potential final boss.

It just annoys me, they completely fumble the potential for an amazing ramp-up to a cosmic horror climax. It'd be like stumbling into the Painted World in DS1, killing the boss there, jumping off the bridge, and appearing at the Kiln to either light it or leave. Just comes out of left field and doesn't jive at all with how the rest of the game has been foreshadowing and building up a final encounter in the barren wasteland of the kiln. I was expecting a real Great One fight in a hosed up cosmic plane like Zom or the brain of Mensis, not a generic courtyard with a monster that reminds me of Cleric Beast or Blood-Letting Beast, y'know?

Again, all that being valid for just the "bad" ending. The actual final boss is exactly what I mean by a well-hinted-toward and awe-inspiring final boss, in both setting and gameplay mechanics. :allears: I just wish they did the same with the Nightmare and its boss

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ninjahedgehog posted:

On the other hand, Garrus is one of the best choices for the second leader and he lost an entire squad too.

Yeah but that was only because the one guy betrayed the team. The game says he did a pretty good job until then.

quote:

The thing dragging down ME2 for me is that you don't ever get an option to tell TIM to gently caress off except the end. Like, my guy's been reinstated as a Spectre and Cerberus sent his entire team to get eaten by sandworms then experimented on as a backstory (Sole Survivor from ME1). Why would I not just steal the ship and leave instead of working with the universe's most incompetent space terrorists?

And also the hammerhead sucks and the mako rules.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 14:00 on May 6, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kontradaz posted:

The thing dragging down Far Cry 4 for me are the wild animals. Getting picked off by a cliff racer eagle while I'm trying to siege an outpost, or getting swarmed by both dholes and wild boars simultaneously (when I thought the dholes were supposed to chase the boars!) can kiss it. I'm sure it's supposed to compel you to drive instead, but man, the driving is terrible. I'm a dirty console peasant and driving the vehicles is done exclusively with left stick, so maneuvering a truck through pretty much anywhere is more difficult than it ought to be.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

RyokoTK posted:

The thing dragging down Far Cry 4 for me are the wild animals. Getting picked off by a cliff racer eagle while I'm trying to siege an outpost, or getting swarmed by both dholes and wild boars simultaneously (when I thought the dholes were supposed to chase the boars!) can kiss it. I'm sure it's supposed to compel you to drive instead, but man, the driving is terrible. I'm a dirty console peasant and driving the vehicles is done exclusively with left stick, so maneuvering a truck through pretty much anywhere is more difficult than it ought to be.

I believe you can change this in the options to a more natural feeling "GTA/Racing Game" control level. The left stick is too hard to push forward and steer with, I agree. But I changed it to R2 is accelerate and L2 is brake. It does change how you shoot while driving though which may take getting used to. It doesn't fix that cars handle like rear end though and gravity hates you so badly in the game.

My friend and I actually like driving after we switched to this style. Had some amazing tuk-tuk races through the mountains usually ending in hilarity like when I ramped off a small cliff into a rhino and it t-boned my vehicle and sent me rolling and spinning through the air like Sonic the Hedgehog on acid. Literally made me want to toss my cookies from watching my screen spin at 100 mph.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

it's weird, when I was learning to drive I'd have nightmares about taking the car off of a cliff and just rolling and flipping endlessly because it was apparently bottomless. Then in FC2-4, Just Cause 2, GTA, etc the first thing I do is hop on a quad/bike and bomb it off the highest mountain I can find just for shits and giggles.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hunky Joe posted:

I believe you can change this in the options to a more natural feeling "GTA/Racing Game" control level. The left stick is too hard to push forward and steer with, I agree. But I changed it to R2 is accelerate and L2 is brake. It does change how you shoot while driving though which may take getting used to. It doesn't fix that cars handle like rear end though and gravity hates you so badly in the game.

Hey, you can do this! My fault for not looking, I guess.

Far Cry 4 is a pretty good game but it's kind of like Skyrim in that there's like a million really weird and slightly annoying design decisions that I could go on about for days.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

RyokoTK posted:

Hey, you can do this! My fault for not looking, I guess.

Far Cry 4 is a pretty good game but it's kind of like Skyrim in that there's like a million really weird and slightly annoying design decisions that I could go on about for days.

I only found out cause my friend switched his and I kept spinning in circles on quad bikes until he finally was like "Are you using the default driving controls cause you seriously suck at driving"

It makes backing up a hundred times easier. Why they thought to use one stick only as a driving control is beyond me. At least as the default.

Seriously should be a trophy in that game for being able to drive straight forward in the hovercraft for more than five seconds though. Even changing the driving controls doesn't help those things at all. But drat if it isn't fun to run guys over in a hovercraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm fine with an RPG putting in a "But Thou Must!" dialogue choice, but it becomes irritating when this cliché is pair with the same NPCs withholding important information from you because 'I was afraid had I told you everything you wouldn't have agreed to help.' (I'm looking at you, Rune Factory 4)

:doh: Damnit game, pick a lane!