Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SilverSupernova posted:

I think it's more "please don't or else the chat will explode into a 10 page tangent completely unrelated to the panel."
Same thing for the MLP comic. They might have funny parts, but they have a rather negative effect on the discussion.

No, the sonic thing was definitely because someone was posting way, way too many of them in short bursts. I'm pretty sure most of us can resist the urge to talk about Sonic.

I say post the panels as long as it's only a few and they are actually funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well, maybe just one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Say Nothing posted:

Well, maybe just one.

Where's the funny panel?

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
And thus the actual reason that Sonic panels stopped being posted

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Well, maybe just one.

Yeah they did the same thing to Cap too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Where's the funny panel?
I think the joke is that the brown animal is acting out of character.

Which, you know, doesn't fly at all in a single out of context panel.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The jury has spoken.
I don't think I'll post any more of those.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

The jury has spoken.
I don't think I'll post any more of those.
Posting that panel was definitely worth it then.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Say Nothing, you are great at terrible tattoos, but suck at Sonic Panels, it's ok, we can't have it all.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

I think the joke is that the brown animal is acting out of character.

Which, you know, doesn't fly at all in a single out of context panel.

The joke is lol waffles so wacky so random hot topic doooooooom!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shawn posted:

Say Nothing, you are great at terrible tattoos, but suck at Sonic Panels, it's ok, we can't have it all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Wicked + The Divine Vol 1.

Laura is a fangirl of the gods. Oh yeah, the gods are back and walking on earth and just superstarring it up btw.

Hey it's Baal. Resemblance to any persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

Picked up the first issue for free then went insane and bought the rest. It's pretty enjoyable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Since when is Lucifer a god?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hail Satan

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

He's referred to in Corinthians as the god of this world, because the world is sinful and bad I guess.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Lurdiak posted:

He's also looking a lot like Desire today. Interesting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She's really looking more like a corpse as of late.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lucifer was a God, in a roundabout way. In Latin, Luciferos means 'light bringer,' and it refers to the planet Venus , also known as the Morning Star. The whole story of Lucifer as an angel who fell from heaven comes from the book of Isaiah, which is paraphrased from an older Sumerian myth that was popular in Babylon. A lot of ancient deities were folded into the Bible as angels or some other being in the hierarchy of heaven. The name 'Lucifer' only appears in one verse in the Bible, and wasn't referred to as anything but an angel who had once fallen from heaven.

A lot of characters in the bible that we think of as being the Devil aren't actually named so in the text. Lucifer, the serpent in the garden of Eden and the angel who challenged God to prove Job's piety were all separate entities. The word 'satan' means 'adversary' or 'accuser,' and is used in the Torah over a dozen times. The entire concept of a dark lord that rules over Hell is nowhere in the scripture. When time came to come up with a singular antagonist, the church went back and picked out a few key satans and decreed that these were all one being. Now, Lucifer was never depicted as a bad guy, but there was some bad blood between Jerusalem and Babylon dating back to something that happened in the 7th century BC, so the justification was that if Lucifer was revered by the Babylonians, he is an enemy of Jehovah. The whole thing was a roundabout way to get in the last word for something that happened millennia previous.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

RandomFerret posted:

Lucifer was a God, in a roundabout way. In Latin, Luciferos means 'light bringer,' and it refers to the planet Venus , also known as the Morning Star. The whole story of Lucifer as an angel who fell from heaven comes from the book of Isaiah, which is paraphrased from an older Sumerian myth that was popular in Babylon. A lot of ancient deities were folded into the Bible as angels or some other being in the hierarchy of heaven. The name 'Lucifer' only appears in one verse in the Bible, and wasn't referred to as anything but an angel who had once fallen from heaven.

A lot of characters in the bible that we think of as being the Devil aren't actually named so in the text. Lucifer, the serpent in the garden of Eden and the angel who challenged God to prove Job's piety were all separate entities. The word 'satan' means 'adversary' or 'accuser,' and is used in the Torah over a dozen times. The entire concept of a dark lord that rules over Hell is nowhere in the scripture. When time came to come up with a singular antagonist, the church went back and picked out a few key satans and decreed that these were all one being. Now, Lucifer was never depicted as a bad guy, but there was some bad blood between Jerusalem and Babylon dating back to something that happened in the 7th century BC, so the justification was that if Lucifer was revered by the Babylonians, he is an enemy of Jehovah. The whole thing was a roundabout way to get in the last word for something that happened millennia previous.

Preface the last few statements in this post with either "probably" or "maybe" and yeah that's about the size of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They may also be playing a little loosely with things since they're going with the setup that the gods return every 90 years.

Like how Woden looks like basically 1/2 of Daft Punk.

Also obsessed with waifus. (Wicked + Divine 7)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I mean, you can attach real-world religion to the characters in WicDiv, but it doesn't really track when attached to the mythology of the series - that the gods return every 90 years and seemingly have for all of recorded history. They're gods in a sense that the real world has never known. You could certainly argue that Gillen would have served this better by NOT using the names of real-world gods (or religious beings - whatever you want to call Lucifer), but there's probably some fun to be had by doing so.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

there is a character for you too, Lurdiak

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Since Manichaeism, which some Christian sects integrated with their beliefs to make Lucifer of equal standing with Yahweh.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

C'mon guys, this is not the "post funny beliefs" thread. Please--

(Source unknown)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Picked up the first issue for free then went insane and bought the rest. It's pretty enjoyable.

You should also read Sex Criminals:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Where's the funny panel?

The funny panels usually occur whenever Knuckles or Eggman show up.

Boom has been surprisingly good in every form of media except for the video game all these things are supposed to be promoting.
(Don't remember the source, probably Boom #3)

Anyway, on to the highlight of today's reading.

Secret Wars #1

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 7, 2015

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Of course that's Osborn's email.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, I gotta know how that one ends.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, I gotta know how that one ends.

That's actually the entire sequence involving Punisher.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They offer him a beer and pretzels.

Alhazred posted:

You should also read Sex Criminals:

Ahahah oh god.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 7, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Who's who@whocares.com supposed to be? Mysterio?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Who's who@whocares.com supposed to be? Mysterio?

Either Chameleon or some z-lister.

Or perhaps Shocker. Poor guy got his email back before he started believing in himself.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 7, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I know the chicken and drill-bot are Scratch and Grounder, but I'm racking my brain over the others.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Still digging Squirrel Girl (#5).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Does the Punisher have an easy way to deal with the dude made of sand?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Flamethrower him until he's Glassman?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

More bullets than normal.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Knowing Frank, Pee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Depends on whether or not he had access to one of the heavy hitters' armories, which it doesn't look like he does.