Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Subyng posted:

The idea is that in order to switch lines, a train has to stop at the station. However, trains won't stop unless the station is specifically a destination.

Right, I guess that's what I was getting at - it's not a complete physical separation, but if the pathing AI can't do Y-turns (or just doesn't use station track for pathing between destinations) it would do the job.

Incidentally, what happens if you don't keep the regional track network intact? Say I destroy everything but the stubs, set up transfer stations at each map edge, and then run my internal network between them. Are there any negative consequences to this? I know you get regional through-traffic trains if the lines are connected. Will those still spawn, then transfer onto my internal network in order to cross the map and transfer back off on the other side?

I'm tempted to do that in order to not have to maintain a bunch of extra track. It feels a little gamey, but then the whole network separation thing is only necessary because the game is weird about handling train traffic in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Is there any news on the tunnels update? CO seems to have gone quiet as far as I can tell.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They said it would be 'at least a month' on April 17th.

Also "Nothing new to update yet, things are moving along nicely and we'll hopefully have more substantial news to share soon" from their community guy earlier this week.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I like this game more than is healthy.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Friction posted:

I told myself I'd quit until until the update after I got all the cheevos but in spite of having at least 5 other AAA games sitting unplayed I still fire up C:S.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
How are you avoiding adding boring sections to the city.

I need more people, so I extend my road network. Then I fill in zonable areas.

Repeat.

The only bright parts are when I get new buildables. Its causing me to top out at 40k people then I get bored and start a new map. But I am developing new ways to build my individual areas.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Do something wild, throw down 3 random roundabouts and build a map square around 'em. Try to have your commercial, residential and industrial completely separated into distinct regions or their own map squares. Set up a train system. Build all the different types of industry. Try to build a self-contained arcology.

It's admittedly getting a little thin because the game is sort of shallow as a game; guess I've just been starved for this since SC:13.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Roundboy posted:

Repeat.

The only bright parts are when I get new buildables. Its causing me to top out at 40k people then I get bored and start a new map. But I am developing new ways to build my individual areas.

Uh, don't build boring areas. Even regular low density residential can be made to look interesting.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Friction posted:

Nice city. Good job on the airport, railyard, and farms.

And yeah, it's a very... absorbing game.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

When people build railyards like that with a bunch of parallel tracks, is it just for show, or is there actually a way to make them functional?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Has anyone found any performance benchmarks for the game? I'm wondering how much of an impact CPU cores and videocard selection have on frame rate.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

eggyolk posted:

Has anyone found any performance benchmarks for the game? I'm wondering how much of an impact CPU cores and videocard selection have on frame rate.

This game is actually, properly multithreaded. It will eat every core you can throw at it.

GPU selection seems important for sheer numbers of polygons but not hugely fancy features, especially in the vanilla game. You'd be fine with an older, higher-powered card (like a GTX580 / Radeon 7890), and ideally some kind of quad-socket server motherboard with 16-core CPUs jammed in each socket with 96GB of RAM.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

If you subscribe to a load of assets GPU memory becomes a huge concern. Also make sure both your steam install and the game are on an SSD or else Pangea 2.0 will happen before your city.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i've been playing vanilla on a fairly anemic i7 860@2.8 GHz, 8 gigs of RAM and a GTX 550 Ti and even though the fans howl 120k citizens is not really a problem for my rig.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

good jovi posted:

When people build railyards like that with a bunch of parallel tracks, is it just for show, or is there actually a way to make them functional?

Just for show. In real life those parallel tracks are for staging, which of course doesn't happen in this game.

In fact I'd say 90% of design choices in this game are purely aesthetic.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Roundboy posted:

Repeat.

Experiment with different road layouts, different zoning sizes, etc. Even though it's difficult without building style control I try to give each new expansion a different character. Maybe I'll have a tinytown neighborhood of 1x1 houses, or all 4x3 McMansions. Have the houses close together or space them out for a richer looking neighborhood. Put in a high rise here and there to break up the monotony.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Roundboy posted:

Repeat.

Imagine you're some rookie town planner or whatever and a little new housing estate is all you have to work with. What dumb ways of re-inventing the wheel are you going to come up with to try and get noticed?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Friction posted:

I don't think that I recognize this map. Do you have a link?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Once I have enough cash, is there any point to building the roads without trees? Seems like the ones with trees on em are a straight upgrade.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 6, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Once I have enough cash, is there any point to building the roads without trees? Seems like the ones with trees on em are a straight upgrade.

Once you have a fairly positive cashflow and your city isn't gridlock everything you do is just for looks. Build the tree-less roads in industrial areas or where it looks nicer to you.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Baronjutter posted:

Once you have a fairly positive cashflow and your city isn't gridlock everything you do is just for looks.

I thought this might be the case. I'm in my first city right now, still on the first piece of land with 36k pop and 900k cash, it feels like it could keep expanding the grid forever and never run into any big problems.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Money is basically a non-issue in this game. It only becomes a concern if you start implementing policies, clicking some of those checkboxes for the entire city can put you in the red really quick.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Hulk Smash! posted:

I don't think that I recognize this map. Do you have a link?

It's McKinleyville, really drat fine map: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411080828

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I like the look of the red/orange trees in industrial zones. reminds me of fall :)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Why do mods not always download after subscribing? I just subscribed to a new map and mod and I can't get them to download.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

necrotic posted:

Why do mods not always download after subscribing? I just subscribed to a new map and mod and I can't get them to download.

If you have steam st to only download game updates between a certain time, this applies to workshop items too. I have mine set to only update between midnight and 8am and that's when it downloads workshop items.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

kemikalkadet posted:

If you have steam st to only download game updates between a certain time, this applies to workshop items too. I have mine set to only update between midnight and 8am and that's when it downloads workshop items.

Oh, nuts.

edit: easy enough to force the update, at least.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there a trick to tourism? It really blows to plop an airport that claims "benefits tourism greatly" and I only get 83 passengers a week. :geno:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Tourism seems to be 100% completely useless. In one city i bought all the unique buildings and had airports, cruise ships, etc. And there no way the 500 tourists would ever pay off the initial and upkeep costs.

crabrock fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 7, 2015

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Yeah, not sure what the deal is with tourism. Granted I've never taken any special steps to attract tourists, but still, it's sort of stupidly negligible. Makes me wonder why they even bothered with a tourism mechanic if it's going to be so trivial.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Supraluminal posted:

Yeah, not sure what the deal is with tourism. Granted I've never taken any special steps to attract tourists, but still, it's sort of stupidly negligible. Makes me wonder why they even bothered with a tourism mechanic if it's going to be so trivial.

Maybe there's a decimal point missing somewhere--sorta like how the police stations are far more effective than they probably should be. (At least that's my theory as to why I need like a third of the police that I do fire.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well crime is pretty easy to suppress with a single police station, but I end up spamming them anyways to get the happiness boost. It's an easy way to max upgrade a zone.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This was a fun two hours.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Red_October_7000 posted:

Finally, how do you deal with people who complain of noise even after you've planted so many trees around their apartment block that it looks like Vietnam?

You demolish the apartment building they are in and replace it with a park.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

This was a fun two hours.

I wish that Skylines had the "export to .gif" option that Infinifactory does--I could watch that for ages.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trees do nothing for noise pollution :( They have absolutely no in-game effect despite their tool tip.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
What happens if I unsubscribe to assets that have grown on my map? Will they disappear and lose all the pop? I've gone a bit crazy and I need to trim it down but I have a 110k city with plenty of them and I'm worried to gently caress it.

Also Fishbus released a new water tower! Really loving all your stuff. All the assets being released is really awesome, I also suspect we are going to be seeing some awesome Russian city soon with all the Russian assets being released.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 7, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Le0 posted:

What happens if I unsubscribe to assets that have grown on my map? Will they disappear and lose all the pop?

Yes.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I realize there's a bajillion mods out (and I use a lot of them) but I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything new about future DLC? I remember reading an interview before the game was released where they sort of indicated that the low price of the game was due to the aggressive nature of DLC/Updates coming for a cost in the future...well, I'm ready and want to throw more money at this game for things like amusement parks, tunnels, new models, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

I realize there's a bajillion mods out (and I use a lot of them) but I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything new about future DLC? I remember reading an interview before the game was released where they sort of indicated that the low price of the game was due to the aggressive nature of DLC/Updates coming for a cost in the future...well, I'm ready and want to throw more money at this game for things like amusement parks, tunnels, new models, etc.

Tunnels and some new models and buildings (including european style wall-to-wall) will be coming an a free patch in the next month or so. I don't know their plans after that. I'd happily pay for a well-made DLC buildings pack.