Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

For running not pulling fat girls at the closest off base bar.

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

orange juche posted:

Were you walking around in your uniform? Shame on you.

Fatbodies gonna fat.

hey, i was gettin gas on the way home, bub

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Sir Lucius posted:

drat, that'd be a really good question for ActusRhesus but he's on probation. So are you subject to UCMJ for poo poo you do before you swear in but charged with after you swear in?

I actually have her email - she was helping me with some (still unresolved) legal poo poo.

This saga is getting worse, anyway, and it looks like RTC may be called about it.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
guess it sucks to be a shitlord?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

poopkitty posted:

I actually have her email - she was helping me with some (still unresolved) legal poo poo.

This saga is getting worse, anyway, and it looks like RTC may be called about it.

It's probably for the best, but I always no poo poo tell my division they should just delete their facebook accounts. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

It's probably for the best, but I always no poo poo tell my division they should just delete their facebook accounts. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Or just change their names and the place they're living in on it, set it to private and unless your chain knows some weird internet wizardry you'll never be found. If a person isn't a shithead in the shop I don't get why they're looking through facebooks though.

Poopkitty why were you eating the souls of poor little recruits?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I never understood why people publicly post everything on their FB page. I guess if you're a 30-something shut-in with no real job prospects, it doesn't matter who sees your stupid political opinions or MLP/Dr Who slashfic, but I guarantee your family sure doesn't want every shithead with internet access knowing everything.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I undeleted my Facebook account to post pictures for my family. Also figured it'd come in handy if I ever deploy overseas. But yeah, I never plan on telling my location on there or something dumb; mostly because settings are :effort:

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
I use FB to chat with family and people that PCS away, but I sanitized it about four years ago and haven't posted anything on it since 2011 about. When you unsubscribe from every single person on facebook from your news feed, you log in and it says "nothing to show!" and you're 80% more content with the world and your friends. If I want to see someone's insane political ravings, I have to choose to visit their page.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
is there anything i can pick up off NAVY COOL from the IS rate? i cant figure this website out for the life of me

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I completely cut myself off of fb at the end of last year and it was pretty fantastic. I do miss chatting with some buddies, but note night to rectify the problem.

It turns out everybody I served with was pretty terrible and more than happy to broadcast about how terrible they are. Also not hearing about how that friend of the family Democrat running the show in DC is ruining the country is pretty nice too.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

bengy81 posted:

I completely cut myself off of fb at the end of last year and it was pretty fantastic. I do miss chatting with some buddies, but note night to rectify the problem.

It turns out everybody I served with was pretty terrible and more than happy to broadcast about how terrible they are. Also not hearing about how that friend of the family Democrat running the show in DC is ruining the country is pretty nice too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Alright Analogical wtf am I here for? Somebody was asking about the abomination that is the CWE program?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

Alright Analogical wtf am I here for? Somebody was asking about the abomination that is the CWE program?

Bright Eyes PM'd me about the CWE program, but you don't have PM because despite making noble cash you spend it all on DC hookers. Post what you know and I'll send him this way

Bright Eyes posted:

As an aside, do you know much about the Navy's Cyber Warfare Engineer designator? I might consider competing for a commission, depending on how I like GA. Or, I'd try to find a cyber reserve job, since CWE is active only.

I know it's 6 yr active and then you can leave or transfer to IDC and it's CNO work, but that's about it.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

buttplug posted:

Just a reminder to everyone. This guy drives warships and is in charge of people.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
If I put my stuff in storage will the movers pick it up from storage when it comes time to PCS?

Reason is my lease is ending in 3 weeks. Buddy offered to keep me at his place until I get orders which should be in about 2 months. I don't have that much stuff but won't be able to turn his place into a storage shed.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I love coming in for drill rescheduled during the week. Full time people don't bother me, no 20 meetings to go to like the weekend, and can take a nice, leisurely poop without being rushed. :feelsgood:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

is there anything i can pick up off NAVY COOL from the IS rate? i cant figure this website out for the life of me

I just looked up IS, it shows some of the certs to me so it might just be your computer.

The way it worked out for me, I just looked through the list of poo poo they had and found things that I qualified for based on my NECs. You select one, write it down, then click on any links. If it's a state certification, contact the licensing agency which they'll have information for on the careeronestop hyperlink. After talking to them and finding out a price (you'll have to do this for any cert you want to get), you contact the people at Navy COOL. Their information is under the "Get Voucher" tab. Once they give you the go ahead, look and see on your command's routing matrix who it needs to go to. For mine it just went to my LPO, LCPO, DH, and the department head of whoever runs your commands Education and Training. I think this routing sheet will be different for people on a ship, considering hospitals do things rear end backwards, so it might just be your Divo instead of a Department Head.

Anyway, after you get the voucher cleared by Education and Training, you need to fax it over to the Credentialing office. You can find their number on the website. Once they give you the green light either by email or phone, you can contact the Licensing Agency to set up for your exam.

When I did mine I called the licensing agent for the details on how the exam is taken as sometimes they require it to be in seat or they might mail you the test to send back to them.

It sounds like a lot of leg work, but once you figure out which one you want and where to take the test, everything else is taken care of by the COOL people and your chain of command. Remember to get an exact quote for how much the exam will cost directly from the credentialing agency, and just because they have E-8 or some rank you aren't it doesn't mean you're automatically disqualified. It's a recommendation, and you can take the exam. If you click on the rank in Navy COOL it'll tell you exactly what's expected of you to know so, if it says it's recommended you be a Senior Chief, you can just pick the brain of your Senior Chief and see if there's anything you don't know about the equipment they specify. There's also a lot of resources for studying for certain tests, especially the State regulated Boards.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Howard Phillips posted:

If I put my stuff in storage will the movers pick it up from storage when it comes time to PCS?

Reason is my lease is ending in 3 weeks. Buddy offered to keep me at his place until I get orders which should be in about 2 months. I don't have that much stuff but won't be able to turn his place into a storage shed.

Yeah they should. You set up where the pickup is when you're processing at your travel office.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

Bright Eyes PM'd me about the CWE program, but you don't have PM because despite making noble cash you spend it all on DC hookers. Post what you know and I'll send him this way

tl;dr: Essentially, the program might look cool on paper but has turned out to be less-than-stellar, so its being re-tooled from the ground up don't apply yet.

So the CWE program on paper is such that it was meant to take technically-competent folks who had hands-on CNO-related experience off the street, give them a commission, put them in uniform and have them hit the ground cranking out CNO tools on day one. Unfortunately, a lot of the people that were recruited were done so against the recommendation of many of the technical folks who sat their boards. Why is a mystery, but the program has overall produced about 2 dozen officers, with only a handful of them who actually know how to write CNE code. They also started broadening their horizons to take poo poo-hot CT-types and allow them to commission into the community as well (vis a vis Cyber Warrant) but ultimately, the program is going through a complete overhaul because Big Navy realized it's not smart to spend time/money investing in an officer with no viable career path after 5 years, who would then transfer into another IDC community (let's say 1810 which is where they were being pushed) as a LT with absolutely zero Fleet or IW-specific experience.

Needless to say, that's no bueno. I am sitting a meeting with VADM Tighe and a handful of other folks tomorrow morning to specifically talk about this situation and to help formulate a viable, long-term career path for that community to grow "cyber" officers (organically) beyond just a 5-year stint. In fact, I have contributed a sizable amount of time over the last year that I've been here towards helping pitch ideas for what such a community would look like and how it would function.

As it stands now, no one community in the IDC has a monopoly on CNO, and so it was decided that there needs to be a separate community with a separate designator and separate career path to take someone from O1-O6 doing *just* CNO-related work without all of the external competing requirements of their respective communities (i.e. 1820 or 1810) that take them out of those CNO roles, thereby allowing their skills to atrophy.

Null Integer posted:

Just a reminder to everyone. This guy drives warships and is in charge of people.

You don't know it, but I saw you yesterday Shippy ;)

P.S. I don't drive warships anymore, just keyboards.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

That sounds like a good idea, so what do you think the chances of it happening anytime soon are?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Lou Takki posted:

That sounds like a good idea, so what do you think the chances of it happening anytime soon are?

Very realistic within the next couple FYs. The CNO and SECNAV already bought off on it for the most part, then it was kicked back down to VADM Tighe's level to hash out the nitty-gritty details.

I should have more details tomorrow...

Analogical
May 20, 2013

buttplug posted:

You don't know it, but I saw you yesterday Shippy ;)

I saw you and LT Cole but I had a beard and a beanie on looking like a typical IADPer.

buttplug posted:

I am sitting a meeting with VADM Tighe and a handful of other folks tomorrow morning

Casually sitting a meeting with the VADM who doomed me and a hundred of my fellow arabic linguists to unemployment.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 7, 2015

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Analogical posted:

Casually sitting a meeting with the VADM who doomed me and a hundred of my fellow arabic linguists to unemployment.

You should address him directly. It may have been a decision that he didn't know too much about until YOU spoke up.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Howard Phillips posted:

You should address him directly. It may have been a decision that he didn't know too much about until YOU spoke up.

As a bystander, I must assume everyone is wrong until I personally correct them.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

VADM Tighe is the first women to command a numbered fleet (10th).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sir Lucius posted:

:xd:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

My squadron of virtual warriors, deploy!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
A numbered fleet that makes everyone else's job harder.

From where I'm sitting ( I interact with a lot of IW folks), the community is kind of a mess. IMO it is very mismanaged (more so than other designators). And I'm saying this as a guy who very much believes in IW as a legitimate warfare area.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah but they have pins now so you know they're super serial

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Wizard Command is on the cutting edge

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

A numbered fleet that makes everyone else's job harder.

From where I'm sitting ( I interact with a lot of IW folks), the community is kind of a mess. IMO it is very mismanaged (more so than other designators). And I'm saying this as a guy who very much believes in IW as a legitimate warfare area.

Put a bunch of awkward nerds in charge of something. See how it works.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So I'm being sued by someone my wife rear ended last year (at roughly 8 miles an hour) and the money they want is over my coverage. Does Navy legal handle anything like this? I'm assuming my insurance company has plenty of lawyers that will take care of this for me but I thought I'd ask.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

So I'm being sued by someone my wife rear ended last year (at roughly 8 miles an hour) and the money they want is over my coverage. Does Navy legal handle anything like this? I'm assuming my insurance company has plenty of lawyers that will take care of this for me but I thought I'd ask.
Your insurance company doesn't have lawyers you can use? Some shithead cut me off and his passenger sued both of us. Geico had a lawyer for me, but they eventually settled everything out of court.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mad Dragon posted:

Your insurance company doesn't have lawyers you can use? Some shithead cut me off and his passenger sued both of us. Geico had a lawyer for me, but they eventually settled everything out of court.

Yea USAA said they'd hire one but because I could owe money I have the option to get one. I'd assume the one from USAA would be better.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

I saw you and LT Cole but I had a beard and a beanie on looking like a typical IADPer.

LT Cole? I dunno a LT Cole. Where were we?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Sir Lucius posted:

Woman. Unless she is super fat, and then perhaps she is plural.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Sir Lucius posted:

drat, that'd be a really good question for ActusRhesus but he's on probation. So are you subject to UCMJ for poo poo you do before you swear in but charged with after you swear in?

They hit you with a "Failure to Disclose" or "False Official Statement" for not disclosing the crime(s) from prior to enlistment. There is also the option of letting the civilian authorities deal with it and, as long as you don't do time, just let it go so as to skip out on the whole double jeopardy thing.
But who are we kidding? That dude is gonna get hosed.

Sarkazm fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 8, 2015

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Welcome back, Mr. Sarkazm. How's the beard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.
Not as big as it used to be. I went all "mildly retarded looking Grizzly Adams" for a bit and then trimmed it back to something manageable because my chin was basically a portable buffet after a meal. It was annoying.

Sorry to be gone so long. I was dead or something.

• Locked thread