Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I don't think it needs to be risky. What you do with your PTO is your business. Just send an email saying "I know you really want me in the office monday but something came up" or whatever. Don't volunteer anything beyond that.

What would you be doing in this position? Sorry if you already described it, it's kinda hard to keep all the jobs straight.

Yea no problem I have the same issue with the jobs haha.

It's not the actual request it's the notice. We're a small shop and PTO can put a strain on things since I'm not billing. Plus I want a little more time to prep on algorithms and data structures beyond 2 more days. I'm still in the first part of the book. I'm not 100% sure that the technical interview will include that, but it's definitely something hands on.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You dumb bastard, why would you eat money to go on this interview if you don't have to? Get the federal rate for mileage reimbursement. This is what civilized companies do - if they aren't willing to do this, you don't want to work for them.

edit: I would strongly recommend against taking your SO unless you have an offer in hand. Are you going to then try to take her on all your other interviews as well?

I wouldn't that's why I was asking you guys. It's a null point anyway since I'm flying without her.

No not on other interviews, but this one is close enough to drive to and it's an area neither of us have been before. I liked the idea but it won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Just say that date doesn't work with your schedule, then.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

FWIW, or company will optionally fly out spouses (married only, not regular SOs) for candidates so they can evaluate the city together, provided they obviously share the same room. I don't believe any per diem expenses change to accommodate the spouse, but we encourage them to explore the city while the candidate interviews onsite all day. Then that night we do take the candidates AND their spouses out for a nice dinner.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
OK so the recruiter doesn't know the company's availability times very well. We scheduled the interview for two Fridays from now.

This puts everything on the table again as far as my wife coming, etc. Still probably won't have her come along because a 8 hour drive sounds brutal just before an interview. We would leave here at 5:30pm, and wouldn't get there until 3:30am, for a half day interview 4 hours later.

SpelledBackwards posted:

FWIW, or company will optionally fly out spouses (married only, not regular SOs) for candidates so they can evaluate the city together, provided they obviously share the same room. I don't believe any per diem expenses change to accommodate the spouse, but we encourage them to explore the city while the candidate interviews onsite all day. Then that night we do take the candidates AND their spouses out for a nice dinner.

This makes sense to me. A spouse's opinion is a huge factor on relocation in most relationships. It wasn't offered though so I won't bring it up.

Budget is going well we ordered our groceries online for an eCart type of deal. It was through one of the more expensive grocery stores in town, but by buying generic we probably got about what we would have at the cheaper places without the hassle and the time sink.

Plus now I can order our meal plan ingredients in just a few clicks.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
No wonder you blow you monthly food budget. There is no way in the universe that this is an economical way to grocery shop.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy posted:

OK so the recruiter doesn't know the company's availability times very well. We scheduled the interview for two Fridays from now.

This puts everything on the table again as far as my wife coming, etc. Still probably won't have her come along because a 8 hour drive sounds brutal just before an interview. We would leave here at 5:30pm, and wouldn't get there until 3:30am, for a half day interview 4 hours later.

This makes sense to me. A spouse's opinion is a huge factor on relocation in most relationships. It wasn't offered though so I won't bring it up.

Budget is going well we ordered our groceries online for an eCart type of deal. It was through one of the more expensive grocery stores in town, but by buying generic we probably got about what we would have at the cheaper places without the hassle and the time sink.

You know what the hassle and the time sink gets you? Extra money in your pocket.

Please don't take this the wrong way but until you learn to do everything you can to succeed at this budget (which doesn't include e-shopping at expensive grocery stores) no one is going to believe you can do this.

It's the 5th of Month 1. How much of your food budget for the month have you now spent?

Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014

Knyteguy posted:

I live in Amazon Fresh territory and having groceries delivered was the best thing ever for a couple of weeks. Then we ran the numbers and discovered most items were at least $0.60 more expensive than they would be in the store, and there's a delivery fee, and there's a tip on top of that. And they don't do sales or give you creepy targeted coupons based on your buying history.

You should do a line-by-line comparison with the same stuff at a real grocery store before you use a service like that. The price might feel the same just because you don't pay attention to individual prices that often.

Also, you are not yet rich enough to pay someone else to buy all of your food and bring it to you.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Knyteguy posted:

Did you even think about how much you could have saved by buying generic without paying extra for the delivery or buying from one of the "more expensive grocery stores" (Was it Whole Foods? Affluent people loving love Whole Foods)?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

People are harping on the food budget, so I'll mention something else. Driving 8 hours and then prepping for an interview 4 hours later is not a good idea. It's a TERRIBAD idea. You want to be well rested to present your best, not a tired, exhausted guy who drove 8 hours.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

lord1234 posted:

People are harping on the food budget, so I'll mention something else. Driving 8 hours and then prepping for an interview 4 hours later is not a good idea. It's a TERRIBAD idea. You want to be well rested to present your best, not a tired, exhausted guy who drove 8 hours.

Yep, I was gonna post this as well.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Yea the drive before an interview would be too much I agree.

No not whole foods jeez I could never shop there. Even when i liked spending money that place was too expensive. The online fee was free since it was our first time. It's $5 per order after that.

You guys van check out prices of stuff if you want it's pretty good for generics. My wife is good with prices she worked at an outlet grocery store for nearly a decade. Search raleys online shopping. We spent $160 of our grocery budget for what should be enough meals for 3 wks since the meal plan is bulk stuff.

Edit and it wasn't delivered they just bag it for you. No tip no delivery fee.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 6, 2015

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Knyteguy posted:

We spent $160 of our grocery budget for what should be enough meals for 3 wks since the meal plan is bulk stuff.

That's good news, no more grocery shopping in May then!

(Isn't this the thing that makes everybody get worked up -- specifically saying that you're stocking up, and it's enough for (some long length of time), and of course never is).

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

MrEnigma posted:

That's good news, no more grocery shopping in May then!

(Isn't this the thing that makes everybody get worked up -- specifically saying that you're stocking up, and it's enough for (some long length of time), and of course never is).

If it's not we still have grocery budget left though.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 6, 2015

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
It sounds like you're comparing generic prices at an expensive store with brand-name prices at a cheap store and saying they're similar. The real comparison should be the cost of generics at both stores.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I think everyone is on the same page that his grocery budget is reasonable at this point. I think if he stays under budget who cares how he does it. I personally think online shopping is a great / effective way to know the total cost of your purchase before you commit.

It's definitely doable to walk around a grocery store and use a calculator or phone app while your shopping, but I agree that it is much more time consuming.

Staying Under Budget > Process To Obtain

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Shop at walmart if you care about actually saving money.

KG's food budget of $400 is fairly reasonable if that's what he was spending, but he's consistently blown his budget. He also has a $100 / month restaurant budget. I would also not be surprised if some of their discretionary budget is being spent on food as well (and he's upped it to $130/wtf?).

Just doing 31days / $500 comes out to nearly $17/day spent on food.

n8r fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 6, 2015

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
They have used discretionary for eating out. He mentioned doing that just last month.
I do think there is a considerable amount of money allocated to food in general, but I don't think anyone else or KG agree, so whatever. But if he can actually spend as little as possible while eating decently, I'd be happy with that. I'd also be surprised because he always says they stock up and freeze stuff, and yet there he is again at the store or Olive Garden, blowing the budget.
Don't think just because you underspend in groceries means you get to use that money for other junk instead of debt, though.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

n8r posted:

KG's food budget of $400 is fairly reasonable if that's what he was spending, but he's consistently blown his budget. He also has a $100 / month restaurant budget. I would also not be surprised if some of their discretionary budget is being spent on food as well (and he's upped it to $130/wtf?).

I explicitly asked him to raise his discretionary because he's proven he's bad at controlling his spending and it's better to have a generous one he can meet (and try to come under in!) than a tighter one that he consistently fails.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

In April we were at $20.29 food spending per day (Slightly liberal estimate based off YNAB spending). That puts us almost to the dollar of the moderate food cost plan here (family of 2):
http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/usda_food_plans_cost_of_food/CostofFoodJul2014.pdf

Plus my wife is nursing and that requires about 500cals extra per day, so that would need to be taken into consideration somehow.

It's not the most BFC friendly food budget out there, but in April we did come within our food budget.

Horking Delight posted:

I explicitly asked him to raise his discretionary because he's proven he's bad at controlling his spending and it's better to have a generous one he can meet (and try to come under in!) than a tighter one that he consistently fails.

I've shown bad behaviors controlling spending in the past, but I've been consistently showing progress as well. April, for example.

This month there won't be any trying only doing. Same as last month.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Ok - that's fine, but you've got a $400/month food budget. You don't meet that budget by ordering food online and paying fees to have it done. How much of your discretionary budget is being used for food spending?

How many times since you've had this thread going that you've stayed under your food budget more than 1 month in a row?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I always worry when it's been more than a few days without any updates. How's it going, Knyteguy? Budget still doing well? How are the interviews?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Horking Delight posted:

I always worry when it's been more than a few days without any updates. How's it going, Knyteguy? Budget still doing well? How are the interviews?

No worries I just haven't had anything to post. Budget is doing well. I got two more first-interview offers today. As far as the out of town second interview in SoCal I'm in the process of working out travel. Today the recruiter asked me if I had already bought my plane ticket (lol), and of course I said no the company needs to provide that (which they said they would cover everything during the first interview, so I think the recruiter is being lazy). If for some reason they're no longer interested in doing that, then I will of course cancel it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Sometimes they will ask you to book your own travel and then submit receipts for reimbursement. I would recommend pushing back and asking them to do it - you're too busy for that.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Sometimes they will ask you to book your own travel and then submit receipts for reimbursement. I would recommend pushing back and asking them to do it - you're too busy for that.

Oh that's probably what it was. Yes I said I'd like them to make arrangements. I'm a little weary to proceed with any of our own money based off of Memphis cancelling on me.

One of the interview companies coming up is remote work (some travel), but they would want me on-site in Dallas for 3 months. I could probably make that work with a month-to-month lease if it meant not having to move and break or current lease.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Oh that's probably what it was. Yes I said I'd like them to make arrangements. I'm a little weary to proceed with any of our own money based off of Memphis cancelling on me.

One of the interview companies coming up is remote work (some travel), but they would want me on-site in Dallas for 3 months. I could probably make that work with a month-to-month lease if it meant not having to move and break or current lease.

If they really like you negotiate living arrangements for the 3 months on-site as part of your offer. "I'd love to accept this offer, however I don't want to move, can you arrange me a furnished apartment while I'm on-site?"

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

If they really like you negotiate living arrangements for the 3 months on-site as part of your offer. "I'd love to accept this offer, however I don't want to move, can you arrange me a furnished apartment while I'm on-site?"

Ok good idea thanks. If this goes anywhere I'll try this. I was thinking of just sleeping on a cheap mattress on the floor, so that would definitely be better.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
They want me to screenshot them (?) a few flights. Would it be standard to choose business or economy?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Economy.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Alright thanks. I just sent them an Expedia link with an itinerary that would work for me, and hopefully that'll work for them. The times I found happened to be very economic, and would give me an hour or so to feel out the city. I would've taken more time but it would've turned into a 19 hour day before I arrived home. I'll worry about that later.

I'll find out how to get from the airport to the interview and back. Since the interview is 4.5 hours I'm guessing it'll include a lunch interview as well.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Alright thanks. I just sent them an Expedia link with an itinerary that would work for me, and hopefully that'll work for them. The times I found happened to be very economic, and would give me an hour or so to feel out the city. I would've taken more time but it would've turned into a 19 hour day before I arrived home.

I'll find out how to get from the airport to the interview and back. Since the interview is 4.5 hours I'm guessing it'll include a lunch portion (which is still part of the interview I've found out).

They should either pick you up or provide a rental car. Are you trying to fly in to the interview, do the interview, and fly home all in the same day? This seems a little ridiculous to me, but whatever works for you I guess.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

They should either pick you up or provide a rental car. Are you trying to fly in to the interview, do the interview, and fly home all in the same day? This seems a little ridiculous to me, but whatever works for you I guess.

Alright I'm hoping for a rental car. As far as flying in and out the same day that's what they want. I would've preferred to come in the day before. I probably could've pushed a little more, but too late now.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
OK it looks like the plane tickets are bought and the interview finalized. I'll be departing 5:45am and arriving 8:30 (gently caress it should only be an hour flight). Interview about an hour after that, which I'll be getting to by way of taxi (recompensated). I'll probably have about two hours actually to check out the city after the interview (the office is right on the beach). I guess I can say where it is now, San Diego! Well very near it at least. I'm still not counting on this (I'm getting excited but I'm trying to temper that), but I have begun to look at how much it would cost to live there.

Say I was making $110,000-$120,000/yr in that area after all bonuses and compensation and whatever, and my wife is doing something else (she's been heavily working towards some stuff I'll try to get her to post about it this evening). Say my wife makes $15,000/yr to start though just to lowball it. How would we budget for all of this? Would that salary be worth it in that area? I wouldn't even know how to begin looking for a place to live or something.

I dunno that can probably wait until we know what's happening I guess? I'm doing best best to stay cautiously optimistic, and I'm still scheduled for other interviews in the meantime (Stockton and an unknown area for some Fortune 500).

Edit: and oh I guess to get some input: all the workplace pictures I can find tell me the dress is business casual. Should I match that in the interview?

Edit 2: and even if this doesn't pan out my boss seems to be thinking of promoting me? I'm not sure; he told me he wants me to start thinking more like a product manager than just a developer. I'd be very happy with that as long as I continue working on my developer skills.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 13, 2015

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
I always go with Business Formal for interviews. You shouldn't dress like you work there until you do.

Also, tell your boss he can start paying you like a product manager and then he can have the benefits of you thinking like one.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
As far as dress code, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're really concerned ask your recruiter to give you their advice. Today business formal in software is rare for interviews.

Also I really hope your toning down the "you have to pay for all my bills "discussions with your recruiter. I hope that there is not a constant worry about money or discussion of money with your recruiter

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

lord1234 posted:

As far as dress code, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're really concerned ask your recruiter to give you their advice. Today business formal in software is rare for interviews.

Also I really hope your toning down the "you have to pay for all my bills "discussions with your recruiter. I hope that there is not a constant worry about money or discussion of money with your recruiter

Not at all. I've asked once what will be covered, and a couple times whether there was a relocation package (a couple times only because he wasn't getting back to me on it).

Won't comment on dress yet want to hear more. I'm not really worried about it, it's just a tad more formal than anywhere else I've worked. For my current job I chose business casual for the interview, but I think our office could be considered casual. I wear a baseball cap every day for example.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I would think it's more likely to cause a negative impression by not wearing a suit than by wearing one.

No suit bad reaction: "I can't believe that guy doesn't even dress up for a job interview, how unprofessional can you be?"

Suit bad reaction: "I can't believe that guy wore a suit to a software interview... well maybe he just wasn't sure what to wear."

I mean I guess it's possible that you enter some weird hive of software nerds where they actually hold wearing a suit against you, but I think it's much more likely to be the safer choice.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Droo posted:

I would think it's more likely to cause a negative impression by not wearing a suit than by wearing one.

No suit bad reaction: "I can't believe that guy doesn't even dress up for a job interview, how unprofessional can you be?"

Suit bad reaction: "I can't believe that guy wore a suit to a software interview... well maybe he just wasn't sure what to wear."

I mean I guess it's possible that you enter some weird hive of software nerds where they actually hold wearing a suit against you, but I think it's much more likely to be the safer choice.

A nice suit helps reinforce you aren't a weird shut-in without social skills too.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I actually like suits; I'll just need to check if the one I have fits. If not maybe I can swing one in budget at Penneys with my wife's employee discount. Interview attire is a reason I upped the clothing budget to $75.

PS thanks for the input guys.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 14, 2015

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Navy or charcoal. No black, brown, or anything super light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
San Diego is quite expensive for housing. On the beach? Must be farther north, I can't think of many businesses close to the beach in San Diego proper.

• Locked thread