Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Didn't know it had been confirmed to return next year. Does that mean the other 3 series and the Defenders mini will be out this year?

I believe the original schedule is being kept (AKA Jessica Jones later this year, Luke Cage and Iron Fist next year, The Defenders in 2017), it's just that there will now also be a Daredevil S2 next year as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bobkatt013 posted:

Thanos is!

Thanos is just a man in love who will do anything to get his lady's attention

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm totally up for moving SHIELD onto a loving awesome helicarrier skybase but I do hope they manage to make the sets a bit less sterile than the Illiad, the SSR bunker from this season's got some nice character to it.

Or I guess they could keep using the bunker as HQ and the Helicarrier as a SuperBus but c'mon skybases are cool.

Keshik posted:

I keep asking where the royal family is in all this, where's Attilan. Is Jiaying answerable to the royals? Or some other group of nebulous "elders" or what? Raina made a power play so fast and it's like... Seriously what would make her think Jiaying's position is so unstable?

There's still no confirmation that this society is linked to Attilan. I'm running with my theory that it's entirely separate, thus allowing the Inhumans movie to star Attilan without having to deal with AoS backstory.

That said, I'm probably wrong and Attilan will be the grand last shot of next episode.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm guessing that at the most they'll mention it. Season comes to an end with Jiaying getting stopped. She's in a dark room, only her face is lit. "Black Bolt is extremely disappointed in you Jiaying." Fin.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

I'm guessing that at the most they'll mention it. Season comes to an end with Jiaying getting stopped. She's in a dark room, only her face is lit. "Black Bolt is extremely disappointed in you Jiaying." Fin.

Marvel's whole deal with the Inhumans now is making a lot of different splinter groups/houses. So this is probably one that Black Bolt doesn't govern and either doesn't know about, doesn't care about, or has agreed to leave alone.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Codependent Poster posted:

Marvel's whole deal with the Inhumans now is making a lot of different splinter groups/houses. So this is probably one that Black Bolt doesn't govern and either doesn't know about, doesn't care about, or has agreed to leave alone.

Or maybe they're a branch that the royal family originally sanctioned but has since gone off the rails.

You might say they... deviated :smug:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
No worries. I'm UK too but I'm all caught up :twisted:
Run away from the thread, so many spoilers for cool stuff in here!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Good episode. Seems kinda lovely if Theta Protocol, after being teased for multiple episodes, was really just an AOU tie-in with minimal bearing on the show's own storylines, though.

Also, I'm not sure they've done quite enough to sell Afterlife as a credible threat to SHIELD - besides Skye, we've seen, what, four Inhumans with any sort of apparent powers?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Good episode. Seems kinda lovely if Theta Protocol, after being teased for multiple episodes, was really just an AOU tie-in with minimal bearing on the show's own storylines, though.

Also, I'm not sure they've done quite enough to sell Afterlife as a credible threat to SHIELD - besides Skye, we've seen, what, four Inhumans with any sort of apparent powers?

They weren't trying to sell that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That was a really, really well done twist.

"These people won't follow me blindly into a war"

"*I* would! :stare:"

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I dunno, I wasn't a fan of this episode. That the twist was clever doesn't change the fact that I spent most of it rolling my eyes at what was going on.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Hope Raina doesn't get hit by any robotic lobsters or spikes during the war.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TLG James posted:

Hope Raina doesn't get hit by any robotic lobsters or spikes during the war.

It's ok as long as she gets that one golden ring back :haw:

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Loved the ending. I totally side with Jiaying there. A gruff dude who tells her he's going to put them all on a list but pinky-swear it's harmless! is going to get put down. Having her be old enough that she's seen it happen multiple times before is a great way to make her decision more complex than just 'surprise I'm actually the bad guy!'.

I think Cal monstering out next is what I'm looking forward to the most. So. Exciting.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
With Gonzalez being so pragmatic before the meeting, I bet that pendant he gave her has something else in it. He really doesn't seem like the sort of guy that would consider a thoughtful gift his "fail safe" it's got tracker or bomb or something.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 6, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I was thinking that it had some kind of camera/mic in it because Gonzalez was expecting her to be the aggressor, but that would kind of cut the whole Inhumans vs Shield war short since they would presumably just go "Hey look she totally attacked him first". So instead it's probably just a tracker or something.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

therobotking posted:

Loved the ending. I totally side with Jiaying there. A gruff dude who tells her he's going to put them all on a list but pinky-swear it's harmless! is going to get put down. Having her be old enough that she's seen it happen multiple times before is a great way to make her decision more complex than just 'surprise I'm actually the bad guy!'.

I understand her reasoning, sure, but I'm a bit concerned you're sympathizing with someone who up and murdered someone in cold blood after he gave her a literal peace offering.

Like "absolutely do not trust these guys or anything they say" I can understand, a firefight breaking out due to misunderstanding I would understand, but "hey let's kill a dude during parlay and preemptively start a war" is not really a sane mindset.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 6, 2015

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Jiaying and militant Cyclops would really get along with each other.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I understand her reasoning, sure, but I'm a bit concerned you're sympathizing with someone who up and murdered someone in cold blood after he gave her a literal peace offering.

Like "absolutely do not trust these guys or anything they say" I can understand, a firefight breaking out due to misunderstanding I would understand, but "hey let's kill a dude during parlay and preemptively start a war" is not really a sane mindset.

And also shot herself to make it look like he was the aggressor to everyone else, presumably with the intention to start a war and turn her daughter against her friends.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gonzales's "I want to index everyone with powers here and let them live their life, but anyone who does harm outside we will deal with" I don't believe was really a demand, it was an opening offer in a negotiation.

I'm betting SHIELD would have settled simply for being informed of any people who were banished or left in order to index them and help keep their existence secret. That is, if Jiayang wasn't as crazy as her husband.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

greatn posted:

Gonzales's "I want to index everyone with powers here and let them live their life, but anyone who does harm outside we will deal with" I don't believe was really a demand, it was an opening offer in a negotiation.

I'm betting SHIELD would have settled simply for being informed of any people who were banished or left in order to index them and help keep their existence secret. That is, if Jiayang wasn't as crazy as her husband.

Yeah, uh, have you met the council whos main characterization is, we're scared as poo poo of anyone with powers? Gonzalez's opening was totally, this is the bare minimum we're ready to settle for.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
They've released the poster for (Part 1 at least) of the next episode. Click the image to see the whole thing. HYYYYYYYYDE. :neckbeard:

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, uh, have you met the council whos main characterization is, we're scared as poo poo of anyone with powers? Gonzalez's opening was totally, this is the bare minimum we're ready to settle for.

The way he presented it seemed awfully reasonable though. Had she said "Okay well we're somewhat opposed to that idea and this is why, lets discuss it" I don't think he would have gone NO, THIS IS WHAT WE MUST DO OR IT IS WAR.

Eventually, maybe, but hopefully everyone figures out Gonzalez was a bit too reserved to do something like try to shoot the immortal leader of a new race of powered people you're trying to form diplomatic negotiations with.

I'm guessing the whole "cut into a zillion pieces, blood drained, then pieced back together" thing made her a bit crazy.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Jiaying and militant Cyclops would really get along with each other.

When's the last time you stood up for us inhumans Captain America?????

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Dohaeris posted:

The way he presented it seemed awfully reasonable though.

I don't think his request was reasonable at all, though that doesn't mean her response was good either. Gonzales asking her to register every member of her race so that SHIELD can keep track is an enormous, dangerous, and probably insulting request. There was no real justification for it either.

Edit: He phrased it reasonably in order to try and cloak the fact that it was patently unreasonable and he has no authority, grounds or basis to justify the request.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 6, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You know considering TAHITI it would've been interesting to see how the crystal would react to Phil.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I really hate Gordon. I don't know why, but I find him annoying. I think the primary reason is probably that he has the gall to try to contain Cal. But I also find him pretty boring in general.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

mikeraskol posted:

I don't think his request was reasonable at all, though that doesn't mean her response was good either. Gonzales asking her to register every member of her race so that SHIELD can keep track is an enormous, dangerous, and probably insulting request. There was no real justification for it either.

Edit: He phrased it reasonably in order to try and cloak the fact that it was patently unreasonable and he has no authority, grounds or basis to justify the request.

I mean, I totally agree that registration and monitoring of all these people would not be a good idea, but going "oh man all those people have powers" and then "Well we should know what they are so if they misbehave we know who did it" seems reasonable to ask to me. He didn't demand it, he requested it and waited for a reply. I mean, what would you have preferred he do? Hello people who can destroy our entire planet if you want, okay bye just saying hi? The ideas was to negotiate some sort of truce or agreement, and instead of responding to that she went full nutso.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

You open negotiation with what you want ideally and come to an agreement somewhere quiet below that.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Theta protocol being the helicarrier is all well and good but I'm still trying to figure out how that fits with Coulson saying to enact it if he's killed. "If I'm dead, launch the carrier." "Yes.....sir?"

Interpret it as "If we die, launch the helicarrier and bomb the everliving gently caress out of the city."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Majorian posted:

I really hate Gordon. I don't know why, but I find him annoying. I think the primary reason is probably that he has the gall to try to contain Cal. But I also find him pretty boring in general.

Gordon's supposed to be somewhat of a shithead. He buddied up to Raina real quick (at least until she attempted a coup) and he's apparently Mrs. Crazypants Johnson's right-hand man. Given the fact he acts two completely different ways depending on who's around him and he has the creepy "I control who gets to leave" thing going on, I doubt he's going to turn out to be a great guy.

Of course I said that about Gonzales and welp!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Interpret it as "If we die, launch the helicarrier and bomb the everliving gently caress out of the city."

I figure it's more "If this goes south I want you to be ready to evacuate lots of people from the area" which fits better what we saw the refit helicarrier rigged out to do.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

OK, I missed something big:
What was the whole point of getting Agent 33 inside SHIELD?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Chokes McGee posted:

Gordon's supposed to be somewhat of a shithead. He buddied up to Raina real quick (at least until she attempted a coup) and he's apparently Mrs. Crazypants Johnson's right-hand man. Given the fact he acts two completely different ways depending on who's around him and he has the creepy "I control who gets to leave" thing going on, I doubt he's going to turn out to be a great guy.

Of course I said that about Gonzales and welp!

They should get rid of him and get a giant dog that teleports instead!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Dohaeris posted:

I mean, I totally agree that registration and monitoring of all these people would not be a good idea, but going "oh man all those people have powers" and then "Well we should know what they are so if they misbehave we know who did it" seems reasonable to ask to me. He didn't demand it, he requested it and waited for a reply. I mean, what would you have preferred he do? Hello people who can destroy our entire planet if you want, okay bye just saying hi? The ideas was to negotiate some sort of truce or agreement, and instead of responding to that she went full nutso.

From Skyemom's perspective though, how is that reasonable to ask? Her people were - and still are - actively hunted, tortured, and murdered by Hydra who it turns out was a part of SHIELD. SHIELD was essentially disavowed and destroyed. Where does Gonzales' authority to request this come from? What right does he have to come in there and ask that of her and her people?

Doctor Butts posted:

To finish their quest for retribution against everyone who harmed her. To make her whole.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 6, 2015

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Doctor Butts posted:

Access to Bobbi I think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

So she could capture Bobbi, who was complicit in her brainwashing.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Not to mention SHIELD's legitimacy as an organization is still kind of up in the air after the Hydra fallout.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

bobkatt013 posted:

They should get rid of him and get a giant dog that teleports instead!

:frogon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Ward also presumably still has that Hydra mind-control thing. Flipping Bobbi gives him a whole lot of power and access to SHIELD, although I'm going to laugh if the writers forgot that Ward has that and just have him use Bobbi as a hostage instead.

• Locked thread