Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Numismancer posted:

Yeah, I banned the poo poo out of Jokine, but not for a ~negrep~

(last time i checked it was a negrep not a loving 'downvote' what the hell is wrong with you people)

Don't gently caress with the leadership when there's a bunch of visible 'the whole coalition leadership, all the directorate, all the top fcs, all the skirmish commanders, everyone is united' posts. If you've gotta be all gently caress-you-dad at a moment like that, TEST is the alliance for you - it's worked out great for them!

We don't have any visible drama because, put simply, we shoot it. This has always been the case over the past five years. When I put my cards on the table and say 'get serious' (which is extraordinarily rare) anyone who simply cannot resist smearing poo poo on the walls and interfering with that gets shot. That is how you make a safe institution to contain the sheer drama of Goons In Space (tm) where every other precursor organization to Goonfleet imploded.

What I take issue with is, that for the H1Z1 threads, there is no clear line of demarcation between the [serious business] stuff and lark about and shitpost parts.
I honestly thought that the H1Z1 threads had a theme of ~hey guys let's lark about in a different game~ rather than being actual [strategic op] serious business posts.
If we made it clear they were serious business [strat ops] then you'd have a lot less making GBS threads up of the thread.

People making GBS threads up content that others have taken time and effort to create is not ok, and quite rightly is not allowed in stratops/serious business stuff.
They should be told that the decision was made in the best interests of the coalition as a whole, this is serious business and if you disagree with it then form a constructive argument against it. Do not poo poo it up.
But there should be a clear delineation between what they can and can't do. What is [serious business] and what's not.
With Jokine, we jumped straight to blowing someone's brains out for them violating a rule that wasn't clearly labelled as being there. That's an issue that makes me very uncomfortable.
When there isn't a clear line of what is ok and what's not, it appears as if you're just banning people arbitrarily when they don't agree with you.

Ultimately, we've moved past just a goon spaceguild in eve online, past the dominant force in Eve, to a multinational gaming community. One with tens of thousands of people who have played together for years. That requires us to step up our game in so many ways, including the way we run ourselves.

When we purged rayonarr on spurious grounds, what made me uncomfortable was not that we purged a dude with a titan. But the fact he was a person who had played games with us for 4 years and had put a lot of time and effort and commitment for the benefit of the coalition who was now being kicked out, forsaken as traitor and not being allowed to play with his friends anymore.

Ultimately Jokine is a dude who's been playing games with us for years, who will now not be able to play with his friends because he made some posts that you disagreed with in a thread.
If you ban a dude it's a real person who cannot play with his friends anymore, that's a pretty big and devastating hatchet to bring down on someone. Please use it sparingly.
Save it for when someone has tried to gently caress the group over, not because they've said some things you disagree with. There is a difference between people making GBS threads things up and constructive criticism, I hope you see it here.

Even at the Machiavellian level that is more Soviet Russia than Singapore.

Since we're so fond of best practices; if you're gonna go totalitarian, go Singapore rather than Soviet Russia. Singapore didn't kill people when there was dissent, they just shut them up.
One is a incredibly successful powerhouse that raised itself out of nothing, the other is a punchline, choose what we want to be like.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-32046144
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-31582842
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-31939304

Just clear this drama up, can we unban Jokine, a dude who has been playing the game with us, fought with us for many years and then make a rules post on the TWR just clarifying what people are expected to behave like:

1. Do not poo poo on people who have taken time and effort to create content for you. If you disagree with them, make a constructive argument against it.

2. Do not poo poo on [serious business] decisions. They are decisions made in the best interests of the coalition. If you disagree make a constructive argument against it.

3. Do not poo poo on people for the sake of it. If you disagree with them, make a constructive argument against it.

When the right decisions are made, constructive arguments made against them only makes us stronger, since we can clearly and logically refute those points.
The reason why goons in space has been so successful is that it's created an environment where people actually try to do better, instead of letting people poo poo on others for 'trying hard'.

~~~signing out as Groperson~~~

Mr Crustacean fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
No, please keep jokine banned

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Mandozer and Jokine, you've both been poo poo recently.

Mandozer, you're terrible because you think you exist outside of the game and yet no one gives a flying gently caress about you anymore.

Jokine, you're apparently bitter as gently caress. Perhaps you should ignore eve for a while, maybe take your anger out on things that exist in real life.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 6, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

tl;dr Mittens and I talked. A lot. Vyst, sorry for the callout. I still think banning jokine was a bad judgement call but I'll concede that banning someone for making GBS threads up a ~serious business~ thread isn't unprecedented. GSF's direction is the writing on the wall, and while I don't like it, I suppose this is where it goes. I'll wait and see and hope fozziesov leads to some interesting poo poo.

It's no big deal. I'll still maintain the stance that full on ban was a bit harsh, but it's The Mittani's prerogative to do so I'll happily abide by it. I'm just trying to provide some clarity from the director level without going too much in depth and ~~~leaking illum~~~.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Has anyone pointed out yet that banning people for neg repping/down voting is the same thing we used to make fun of test and /r eve over?

It's like the part of the horror at Insmouth where the protagonist stares into the mirror and realizes they too are a horrible fish thing.

E: Orange juche is the crazy hobo that gets eaten by the fish people.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 6, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Has anyone pointed out yet that banning people for neg repping/down voting is the same thing we used to make fun of test and /r eve over?

You can point it out if you want, but this wasn't the case in this instance so I'm not sure why you would.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

vyst posted:

You can point it out if you want, but this wasn't the case in this instance so I'm not sure why you would.

It's because you guys banned and deleted. Banning and deleting is basically the way to say that you banned someone for a dumb reason that you don't want the world to see and it adds credence to whatever story the guy that got banned says. There's SA bans only add a "this retard was banned for this" message at the bottom, it puts the shitposter on display and tells everyone else that what happened was not acceptable. I'm fine with the ban if he was actually talking too much poo poo but you leave the posts behind so people can know what not to do.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

leveraging your video game social group for marketing purposes puts a real bad taste in my mouth. almost as bad a taste as sauce. be it espagnole or béchamel, it just doesn't sit right with me.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ok, I'm done trying to discuss this because you all have slowbrains or something.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi
Ya, this has been beat to death. Time to move along to actual eve discussions.

notlupus
May 16, 2008

Dude, I was able to perform an appendectomy at age 14. I think I can handle a couple of shrooms.

Numismancer posted:

(last time i checked it was a negrep not a loving 'downvote' what the hell is wrong with you people)

Don't gently caress with the leadership when there's a bunch of visible 'the whole coalition leadership, all the directorate, all the top fcs, all the skirmish commanders, everyone is united' posts. If you've gotta be all gently caress-you-dad at a moment like that, TEST is the alliance for you - it's worked out great for them!

We don't have any visible drama because, put simply, we shoot it. This has always been the case over the past five years. When I put my cards on the table and say 'get serious' (which is extraordinarily rare) anyone who simply cannot resist smearing poo poo on the walls and interfering with that gets shot. That is how you make a safe institution to contain the sheer drama of Goons In Space (tm) where every other precursor organization to Goonfleet imploded.

I'm glad to hear you took the high road for the good of the coalition. For a minute, I thought this was just about your ego. Keep up the good work so that it doesn't stray from the Golden Path.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

SiSi just got updated with the first wave of new features for the next release.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=422818&find=unread

Mass Tests:
Tuesday 12th May

Caracal model has been updated
Naga textures have been reworked
New shader models and texture maps applied to ships, drones and turrets
[Drone] Overview and bracket icon changes
Secondary lighting from large objects

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

I'll take you out, buddy!
The Mittani's light shines upon us by his will alone. If shade is what you wish, thereby denying the grace Mittani grants us, then you must seek the shade... elsewhere.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009
Can someone explain why a small time mmo in closed beta is such serious business for goonfleetswarm and why all the top fcs and skirmish commanders are needed?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

After a lot of talking to a lot of the people involved in this, the short version is this:

-if all you want from EVE is to play with goons and not deal with pubbies and sov politics, GSF isn't the place for you. GROON is. GSF is the place for people who put up with the politics inherent in the sov game, and for a long while that means you put up with pubbie bullshit to some degree or another. At a certain point you like it or leave, and jokine's ban was a tremendously ham-fisted :words: way of stating that.

FWIW I think the state of sov is pretty poo poo, but I'm not burning my bridges yet.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

After a lot of talking to a lot of the people involved in this, the short version is this:

-if all you want from EVE is to play with goons and not deal with pubbies and sov politics, GSF isn't the place for you. GROON is. GSF is the place for people who put up with the politics inherent in the sov game, and for a long while that means you put up with pubbie bullshit to some degree or another. At a certain point you like it or leave, and jokine's ban was a tremendously ham-fisted :words: way of stating that.

FWIW I think the state of sov is pretty poo poo, but I'm not burning my bridges yet.

It's all a bit of a holding pattern until June hits anyways, isn't it?

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

ullerrm posted:

I have one or two fits that use it.

ullerrm.txt

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Ya, basically I should've gone to GROON and chilled once I thought I was being ~edgy~. Lesson to the :downs: amongst us.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

AAPsel posted:

Can someone explain why a small time mmo in closed beta is such serious business for goonfleetswarm and why all the top fcs and skirmish commanders are needed?

~ :tinfoil: actually its about ethics in video games journalism :tinfoil: ~

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

AAPsel posted:

Maybe because the top FCs and skirmish commanders thought it sounded like a fun idea and wanted to play? Maybe because our position in Eve is solid until FozzieSov rolls in and has us start paying attention again. Are you suggesting they should have been chained to their exefile.exe?

SpiderX
Sep 5, 2013

Let's start a gimmick that isn't shit, how about dogges? :woof:

~Not SMcD

mpaarating posted:

Ya, basically I should've gone to GROON and chilled once I thought I was being ~edgy~. Lesson to the :downs: amongst us.

They gave us a good show, despite being massively outgunned the other week. I'm back in E-Uni as I forgot how to eve and can only play one or two nights a week. Made a lot of newbros piss themselves with excitement seeing caps after only playing the game for a couple weeks. Good show.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

SpiderX posted:

They gave us a good show, despite being massively outgunned the other week. I'm back in E-Uni as I forgot how to eve and can only play one or two nights a week. Made a lot of newbros piss themselves with excitement seeing caps after only playing the game for a couple weeks. Good show.

I remember being that way. Battleships used to seem 2legit2quit.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Zakrello posted:

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=28769671

holy SV got 10 machs delivered to their doorsteps

Did all of Warr's ALEXANDER MITTANI GIANTURCO (and variations thereof) characters get force-renamed to Minmatar citizens or what happened there?

Dalael posted:

You get more dumb every time you post. And this from a dude who earned this AV.

:frogout:

Viva Miriya posted:

gently caress the pubbies that live in said space empire.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Mr Crustacean posted:

When we purged rayonarr on spurious grounds, what made me uncomfortable was not that we purged a dude with a titan. But the fact he was a person who had played games with us for 4 years and had put a lot of time and effort and commitment for the benefit of the coalition who was now being kicked out, forsaken as traitor and not being allowed to play with his friends anymore.

We hosed up with Rayonar hilariously - it was a spy mistake on an epic level, and that's why we loudly apologized and gave him a fresh Titan back.

On the Jokine stuff: Jokine hasn't been able to post since April 26th in the Imperium Realtalk thread. He was nuked on May 5th - it had nothing to do with posting or negrep. However, it's pretty drat clear that he has no idea why we nuked him which muddies the waters terribly for everyone else, and he's apologized profusely for a bunch of poo poo I wasn't actually unhappy about. Bonus, due to this drama, a piece of rotten fruit has been shaken loose from the tree, so I'm going to unban Jokine and shoot the person who actually needs shooting.

Regarding the H1Z1 stuff, we're going multiplatform because we need to do so to recruit and survive, it's kind of like when we first rammed through the 'alien and ungoony' reimbursement program. Future attacks on other games will be a lot more casual and less new/scary because it's now just a Thing We Do. That's why you saw all the posts from every coalition leader in the Imperium loudly supporting it.

Numismancer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 6, 2015

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is it ali virgo

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

Numismancer posted:

On the Jokine stuff: Jokine hasn't been able to post since April 26th in the Imperium Realtalk thread. He was nuked on May 5th - it had nothing to do with posting or negrep. However, it's pretty drat clear that he has no idea why we nuked him which muddies the waters terribly for everyone else, and he's apologized profusely for a bunch of poo poo I wasn't actually unhappy about.

Thanks for being cool on this and for my Xanax sample packs. I'll be eating them with every meal.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

RIP Kyle Myr

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

RIP Kyle Myr

He did nothing wrong either - he just went to bat for his friend.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Well that makes the rotten fruit much more interesting.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
Is jokine going to get a tmc redemption article?

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

ullerrm posted:

This. That said, how many downvote comments consisted simply of "human being"?

(Asher, I'm looking at you)

I believe people have a right to know why they are downvoted, it's not my fault if this is the reason 99% of the time.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Sub Rosa posted:

RIP Kyle Myr

Kyle is totally chill, we yakked for like 2 hours last night, and we were both exhausted and stressed about other things. Goonfuckers ran around claiming it was about negrep, Kyle went to bat for his buddy, there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not gonna lie, I rage the gently caress out when someone claims we don't do enough charity drives or push them - one of my best friends was murdered and we ran drives for his family, another friend has died of cancer during a drive we've run for them, plus multiple wheelchair van vote-rigging attempts. If that makes me a 'lol pubbie super serious' then you're too cool to be in my space empire.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Numismancer posted:

In my opinion, poo poo's getting too serious on a spaceship griefing comedy forum. I'm glad your website is taking off, but the people there aren't necessarily your echo chamber, and a ~negrep~ shouldn't be such a threat to your delicate reign that it deserves a ban. The limp-dick gently caress-you-dad gesture presented by a ~negrep~ doesn't require a I-do-it-because-I-love-you slap in the mouth.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can the h1z1 stuff be a sig that you apply to like world of lowtax?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

In my opinion, poo poo's getting too serious on a spaceship griefing comedy forum. I'm glad your website is taking off, but the people there aren't necessarily your echo chamber, and a ~negrep~ shouldn't be such a threat to your delicate reign that it deserves a ban. The limp-dick gently caress-you-dad gesture presented by a ~negrep~ doesn't require a I-do-it-because-I-love-you slap in the mouth.

Are you loving stupid or something?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
unfree Fyzick.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Cannon_Fodder posted:

See, more fanfic about 'ban for negrep'.

You guys are really serious about hanging onto the r/Eve and Zulu bullshit line.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Cannon_Fodder posted:

goonfleet dot com, known un-echo chamber

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Numismancer posted:

I'm going to unban Jokine

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'm horribly confused now what actually happened and why isn't there a name and shame for the person taken out behind the chemical shed and shot?

• Locked thread