Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Slippery and bummer are the best dog names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Rondette posted:

Also rather sweet is the list of the dog's names (although they don't appear to list 'friend of the family' which was on the relief expedition boat)

lmbo at all of these dog names but especially "friend of the family", "Painful", & "Satan"

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Looks like the 2015 Everest climbing season is probably over.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1976456/sherpas-refuse-fix-everest-route

quote:

Sherpas on Monday refused to fix the route through the Khumbu Icefall, which was destroyed in the April 25 earthquake, likely ending this year’s climbing season, the AP reports.

The Icefall Doctors, the group of Sherpas tasked with maintaining climbing routes through the icefall (between Base Camp and Camp I), informed Nepal’s Mountaineering Department that they will not fix the route, according to Gyanendra Shrestha, a Nepali official. “It is just not possible to rebuild the route in time for climbers to attempt to scale the peak,” Kapindra Rai, of the Sagamartha Pollution Control Committee, which controls the Icefall Doctors, told the AP.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
That article makes it sound like the Sherpas are to blame for the lost climbing season, how DARE they refuse working on the paid-for fixed ropes?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Again, crazy alpine climbers don't use that fixed rope.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Default Settings posted:

That article makes it sound like the Sherpas are to blame for the lost climbing season, how DARE they refuse working on the paid-for fixed ropes?

i dont think thats true, i think you can read into it whatever you want. to me it reads like the sherpas are refusing unsafe and stupid requests from the govt/companies who only care about revenue.

also the sagamartha pollution control committee is actually in charge of the mountain route, so this is pretty official anyway.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Rondette posted:

I'm just now reading 'South' by Ernest Shackleton, incredible story and for a change no one dies!

They went through some poo poo, from living on nothing but penguin and seal meat (The Gentoo penguin was favoured due to the meaty breasts and legs) to having to sail for 2 weeks on basic rations in an open boat in the Antarctic waters. Despite being written 100 years ago, the writing is remarkably fresh (although his constant listing of the latitudes gets a bit dull) and you really get a feel that they worked together well (apart from what happened in the next paragraph) as a team....Shackleton seemed to be a really sound leader.

They also had a ship's cat, the marvellously named Mrs.Chippy, who sadly had to be shot once the Endurance was crushed, but his (Mrs.Chippy was found to be a Tom long after the name stuck) spirit lives on, and was a cause of controversy on the expedition-

Also rather sweet is the list of the dog's names (although they don't appear to list 'friend of the family' which was on the relief expedition boat)

Read more about him on his Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Shackleton

Then read the book.

more should be done to commemorate mrs. chippy and friend of the family, the trans and poc members of the expedition

RIP in pieces

e: and also songster and jasper who were surely the gays, and smuts who was sexually liberated.

kindermord fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 5, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Mrs. Chippy has his own book, apparently: http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Chippys-Last-Expedition-Shackletons/dp/0060932619

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The share counter on that site gliched out and decided the sherpas deserve all my 5s :newlol:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Rip ms. Chippy

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rondette posted:

I'm just now reading 'South' by Ernest Shackleton, incredible story and for a change no one dies!

Read more about him on his Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Shackleton

Then read the book.
Assuming you've read more than the one, would you say Shackleton's account is your favorite telling of this little adventure? Are there any others I should look at? Lansing's telling, maybe?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Assuming you've read more than the one, would you say Shackleton's account is your favorite telling of this little adventure? Are there any others I should look at? Lansing's telling, maybe?

I haven't read any others yet so dunno. However there is a 3 part series on Netflix US called 'Chasing Shackleton' which sets out to recreate faithfully the 1500k journey they took to get to South Georgia.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Yeah it's the latter, I think it is a PBS special. Not watched the Nova one yet, I'll have to winkle that one out.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 5, 2015

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The nova special on Shakleton is good too. If I remember correctly it has a lot of Hurley's photography.

E: Is the multi parter the one where they try to recreate the voyage from Elephant Isle to South Georgia? I grew up in a sail boat so that poo poo just blows my mind.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 5, 2015

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

xie posted:

i dont think thats true, i think you can read into it whatever you want. to me it reads like the sherpas are refusing unsafe and stupid requests from the govt/companies who only care about revenue.

also the sagamartha pollution control committee is actually in charge of the mountain route, so this is pretty official anyway.

It may just be that they'll need 2 weeks or more to fix the route, in which case no one will actually get to the summit before the weather window slams shut. The acclimatization regimen is normally several trips up and down between base camp<->camp 1, camp 1<-> camp 2, etc, spanning a few weeks. If it's late May before people can even set foot in Camp 1, they won't possibly be able to acclimate and climb before the jet stream moves back in.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i can't get over those dog names, they are the best

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So is the poop mountain still there then? Maybe this isn't a coincidence...

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lmbo at all of these dog names but especially "friend of the family", "Painful", & "Satan"

friend of the family was quite a common name for black dogs early last century. When the RAF flew the famous 'Dambusters' mission in WWII the squadron leader Guy Gibson decided the codeword for a successful mission would be a tribute to his recently deceased and much beloved dog, a black labrador...

They tend to leave that bit out of the films these days but I do love the image of a bunch of stiff upper lip officers stood round in RAF mission control waiting for someone on the other side of Europe to shout 'friend of the family!' over the radio. The crowd goes wild! Perhaps the first example of the famous FYAD humour?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-rR-5wClag

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

darkwasthenight posted:

friend of the family was quite a common name for black dogs early last century. When the RAF flew the famous 'Dambusters' mission in WWII the squadron leader Guy Gibson decided the codeword for a successful mission would be a tribute to his recently deceased and much beloved dog, a black labrador...

They tend to leave that bit out of the films these days but I do love the image of a bunch of stiff upper lip officers stood round in RAF mission control waiting for someone on the other side of Europe to shout 'friend of the family!' over the radio. The crowd goes wild! Perhaps the first example of the famous FYAD humour?

now I'm imagining those old timey photos of the RAF with Barnacle Jim and a goat photoshopped over the faces

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

darkwasthenight posted:

a bunch of stiff upper lip officers stood round in RAF mission control waiting for someone on the other side of Europe to shout 'friend of the family!' over the radio

/home/users/nigelfarage/dream_diary.txt

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Harvard has an interview with an HMS doctor who was at a clinic in the high Himalayas: [url]http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2015/05/destruction-across-the-city/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cliff Racer posted:

If you think ponies are weird there's the curious case of the Yukon camels to think about.

Even modern camels are well equipped for winter conditions.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

And why wouldn't they; poo poo gets cold at the desert during the nighttime.

(Although it is a bit suprising that they can live with constant freezing conditions, unlike the Italian trains we spent years acclimating to the Northern Europe winter conditions.)

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Der Kyhe posted:

And why wouldn't they; poo poo gets cold at the desert during the nighttime.

(Although it is a bit suprising that they can live with constant freezing conditions, unlike the Italian trains we spent years acclimating to the Northern Europe winter conditions.)

That's a Bactrian camel, they're from Central Asia, and I think there are even some in Mongolia. They do very well in the cold.

The "normal" camel that most people think of is a Dromedary. It has one hump, Bactrian have two.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Beardless posted:

That's a Bactrian camel, they're from Central Asia, and I think there are even some in Mongolia. They do very well in the cold.

The "normal" camel that most people think of is a Dromedary. It has one hump, Bactrian have two.

The wild Bactrian camel is also one of the rarest large mammals in the world, and may be extinct like the tarpan or aurochs. (Although there are some in zoos from wild stock.)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

The Yukon camels were modern, they got shipped up there during the goldrush. Sadly the venture was not profitable.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Does anyone have that gif of the khumbu icefall receding and coming back? I can't seem to find it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Khumbu icefall back and forth, forever

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 7, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cliff Racer posted:

The Yukon camels were modern, they got shipped up there during the goldrush. Sadly the venture was not profitable.

Oh, I thought you meant the extinct high arctic camels that lived in today's Canada.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
To follow up because I posted about Holiness Drukpa's Live to Love organization in this thread for people to donate, I wanted to share some pictures from Facebook of where that money is going.

quote:

Live to Love relief efforts in Nepal continue on the ground following the 7.9 earthquake that struck the region, killing thousands and affecting an estimated 8 million people.

Focusing on remote villages with limited access to central aid, a team of Live to Love volunteers just arrived at Nawalpur in Sindhupalchowk district (the worst hit district in Nepal), with a population of 3,600 and 800 households prior to the earthquake. The Live to Love team met with village representatives to discuss their needs and distributed much needed rice, dal, and medicine.

Countless houses were demolished in the earthquake and severe aftershocks that followed. Despite the unfathomable difficulty of rebuilding entire communities from the ground up, we at Live to Love admire the courage and resolve of the surviving villagers. Many are eager to begin the rebuilding process, and to resume work in the fields to ensure continuous food supply for their families in the months to come.

We would like to thank Sankaran Institute for putting us in touch with Dr Pradeep and his able team who have joined us in this relief and rehabilitation effort.

Now returning to Everest/Antarctica talk.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

LorrdErnie posted:

Does anyone have that gif of the khumbu icefall receding and coming back? I can't seem to find it.

http://imgur.com/ZpFAdFl

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Minor update, the camels were actually shipped to British Columbia, not Alaska and the Yukon, and yeah they were Bactrian camels.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cliff Racer posted:

Minor update, the camels were actually shipped to British Columbia, not Alaska and the Yukon, and yeah they were Bactrian camels.

Ï', waiting for the first camel to brave the Everest summit.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Neat set of pictures from inside a crevasse:
http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/2012/12/down-into-the-dark/

I've been trying to find pictures of crevasse exploring but I guess it's too dangerous to be a thing.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Neat set of pictures from inside a crevasse:
http://www.antarcticglaciers.org/2012/12/down-into-the-dark/

I've been trying to find pictures of crevasse exploring but I guess it's too dangerous to be a thing.

Yeah gently caress sliding down into this deathhole.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
drat you guys know a lot about camels

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
So I'm continuing reading Shackleton's South, and there is a line casually dropped in that made me stop. It basically was along the lines of

"I started suffering snow blindness, had to take some cocaine"

I wonder how many amazing achievements of yesteryear were done with the help of a bit of the old coke to gee them along. The guys that recreated Shackleton's sail and walk were OK with the boat part but the mountaineering part totally scuppered them. I bet they didn't stop for a toot every so often.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Rondette posted:

So I'm continuing reading Shackleton's South, and there is a line casually dropped in that made me stop. It basically was along the lines of

"I started suffering snow blindness, had to take some cocaine"

I wonder how many amazing achievements of yesteryear were done with the help of a bit of the old coke to gee them along. The guys that recreated Shackleton's sail and walk were OK with the boat part but the mountaineering part totally scuppered them. I bet they didn't stop for a toot every so often.

May have been used as a topical eye anesthetic as opposed to :catdrugs: since snow blindness is painful, but interesting to think about nonetheless.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Madcosby posted:

drat you guys know a lot about camels

The anti-goon: can walk for miles and humps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

XOIC of Radishes posted:

May have been used as a topical eye anesthetic as opposed to :catdrugs: since snow blindness is painful, but interesting to think about nonetheless.

yeah, cocaine eyedrops were common before it was banned. combo of mild anaesthetic & stimulant was good at easing pain.

• Locked thread