Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

Is there a better music app than google music? It really is a terrible design all around, and more frustratingly it won't let me Chromecast my sideloaded music

I've been using doubleTwist for a few weeks, and I enjoy it. Not sure how well it does or doesn't work with Chromecast, through, since I don't own one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

This is the most true post in this whole thread.

Google wallet and Google apps support are both highly responsive and generally pleasant to work with.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Len posted:

Anyone know how to contact Google about Messenger? It isn't listed here and I'm still having the "Unknown sender" problem I posted about earlier.

And for the record Hangouts tells me the same thing only in a different order. It says my girlfriend is "Sender unknown" so the solution isn't use Hangouts.

Get a new girlfriend.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Get a new girlfriend.

But I like this one. She's a good person instead of an emotionally abusive terrible person.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Len posted:

But I like this one. She's a good person instead of an emotionally abusive terrible person.

So she doesn't send you text messages composed mostly, or entirely, of emoticons?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Klowns posted:

So she doesn't send you text messages composed mostly, or entirely, of emoticons?

Or caps lock insults!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Klowns posted:

You mean there's girls out there that don't send blocks of text that look like one long rebus?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
HTC Camera updated for my M8!

quote:

- Raw Camera mode
!!!!

quote:

only available on the HTC One M9
:arghfist::(

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Len posted:

Dude, Google is telling you that she is not the one for you! Who knows more about her than Google? You?
Pffft.

Google's precise relationship algorithm has decided to keep her removed from your messaging for a reason.
It's not a bug, it's the future of relationship matching, brought to you by Google Relations.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Wee Bairns posted:

Dude, Google is telling you that she is not the one for you! Who knows more about her than Google? You?
Pffft.

Google's precise relationship algorithm has decided to keep her removed from your messaging for a reason.
It's not a bug, it's the future of relationship matching, brought to you by Google Relations.

Why is this not a thing yet?
"OKAY GOOGLE: Who wants to go to the train museum with me and will avoid eye contact?"

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
OK Google: how do I fill the void within myself, however briefly?

A Domino's Family Meal and three tubs of caramel icing are on their way.

:cool:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spincube posted:

This is probably closer to reality than any of us want to admit.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

spincube posted:

Expecting this to be built into Android 5.2 or whatever and shown at I/O

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Everquest had /pizza years ago, why is "OK Google pizza" not a thing?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Whizbang posted:

Everquest had /pizza years ago, why is "OK Google pizza" not a thing?

Because it would streamline a process which has been carefully designed over time to enable the maximum number of upsell opportunities.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The Dominos app already has voice ordering, and Google Now has the new updates to tie into third party apps, so I doubt it'll be long until you can order pizza from across the room without having to nervously talk to a real person.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Kheldarn posted:

I've been using doubleTwist for a few weeks, and I enjoy it. Not sure how well it does or doesn't work with Chromecast, through, since I don't own one.

I gave this a try on my Droid Turbo and after the first song it started lagging horribly, and any attempts to use it since immediately crash the app. Weird

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FAUXTON posted:

Because it would streamline a process which has been carefully designed over time to enable the maximum number of upsell opportunities.

For booze then.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

QUACKTASTIC posted:

For booze then.

Drizly. I haven't tried it but I think I heard it used your GPS so if you happen to be sitting on a park bench and really need a drink you can get one.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Are there any whitenoise apps you recommend? I need something to drown out my ear ringing. I like rain noises the most. I just need it to play for like 30mins until I fall asleep.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

EvilElmo posted:

Are there any whitenoise apps you recommend? I need something to drown out my ear ringing. I like rain noises the most. I just need it to play for like 30mins until I fall asleep.

I like 'A Soft Murmur'

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EvilElmo posted:

I use the app "White Noise"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

EvilElmo posted:

After I got rid of the fan in my room, I resorted to playing those 10 hour whitenoise videos on youtube with my tablet face down. Worked well.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

In the Facebook app, did Instagram pop up under the favorites section on the rightmost page for anybody else? I know you can configure your favorite items from the desktop site, but the desktop site doesn't have an Instagram item.

I've never used Instagram and have no intention to start. This is dumb.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently, even Google isn't so keen on Hangouts being used for SMS.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/06/google-actually-recommends-that-you-use-messenger-for-sms-over-hangouts/

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

There is something so incredibly...Google about this.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

But I've used Hangouts to group SMS with my family with no issues at all... :confused:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Working and supported aren't necessarily the same thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

In some respects it's surprising to me that it takes so long to get Hangouts up to speed on full SMS/MMS support. It's not like they're implementing a fully general artificial intelligence...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently you can't use your GV number with Messaging though. :v:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently you can't use your GV number with Messaging though. :v:

Yep. Only works with Hangouts. It's way better than the original Google Voice app at least. Too bad that's not saying too much.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Hangouts works fine for me including group texting but it doesn't hide the fact that it's a slow bloated mess I dislike using.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Weird, I’ve had better luck with group messaging in Hangouts that I ever did with other messaging apps. Regardless, my messaging habits are about a 50/50 split between Hangout messages and SMS, so there’s not much motivation to split it between two apps.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Messenger is a much better looking app than Hangouts, by such a huge margin it isn't even funny.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I have a random request-

is there an app that lets me change the media/app volume with no apps running? On my Galaxy Note 3, I was able to change the media volume at any time, but now on my nexus 6 the volume buttons only affect the system volume unless I have an app currently playing sound. I'm always scared to start an app up at work lest it start blaring music.

Is there a default way to change this that I'm missing?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
You can go to sound and notification settings and change it which is a pain in the rear end but you can make a settings shortcut widget. There's also some things you can install that will override the default volume pop up to give it more sliders but the ones I've tried have been janky.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jmcrofts posted:

I have a random request-

is there an app that lets me change the media/app volume with no apps running? On my Galaxy Note 3, I was able to change the media volume at any time, but now on my nexus 6 the volume buttons only affect the system volume unless I have an app currently playing sound. I'm always scared to start an app up at work lest it start blaring music.

Is there a default way to change this that I'm missing?

I just hit volume up or down, there is a gear next to the volume bar you can tap which will allow you to change individual settings

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Messenger is a much better looking app than Hangouts, by such a huge margin it isn't even funny.

Hangouts is an exceptionally poorly designed app, it's visually cluttered, clunky to use, and generally just ugly and slow and bad. Actually hangouts is just really bad in almost every conceivable way. And to think that for a time Google tried to make it the flagship for all messaging needs.

Dozens of developers working by themselves make better working, more consistent, and more visually appealing SMS/messaging apps than the entire Google app developer workforce. It's pretty sad honestly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

hiddenriverninja posted:

I just hit volume up or down, there is a gear next to the volume bar you can tap which will allow you to change individual settings
Not on stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Taffer posted:

Dozens of developers working by themselves make better working, more consistent, and more visually appealing SMS/messaging apps than the entire Google app developer workforce. It's pretty sad honestly.

That's not that unusual--too many cooks, etc. There's even a book about this software engineering phenomenon called The Mythical Man-Month.

• Locked thread