Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Stallion Cabana posted:

Wasn't it also the last time his tail grew back? Like after that he apparently just passed the time where his tail could regrow and it never happened again.

Kami specifically used his divine powers to make sure his tail never grew back, like a laser on a pube at a depilation salon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
What about when Piccolo destroyed it after Gohan's rampage post-Radditz? Or was that filler

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So do we have any indication on what exactly Kami's powers are? Not his Power Level...but just what he is and isn't capable of? I know that the dragon can't grant wishes that exceed his creator's power...but does that mean Kami could have brought everyone killed by Freeza back to life on his own? And if so...why did we need the dragon at all?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Because Japanese culture is bathed in religious animism the way that western culture is bathed in Christianity (such that even atheists approach philosophical thought with those concepts as a foundation) the audience does not associate gods with power the way western audiences do. The closest western analog would be the animism of Hellenistic cultures and those they influenced. The Romans believed that every tree and road had a spirit, which was why forests were spooky and crossroads powerful. Kami is more the spirit which inhabits earth than a shepherd who guards the earth, how in Greek mythology a wood nymph is a spirit who inhabits a forest rather than a being with "forest powers." The English dub muddies the issue by calling him the guardian of earth, but I suppose there isn't a better way to communicate his role since "spirit of earth" would imply he's the personification of Earth, which is not at all true.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
And even the source material makes it weird since, on the one hand, being 'God' has nothing to do with the Dragonballs, and actual cosmic forces exist separately of him, yet the position apparently means something since he tried so hard at it in the first place, and others do defer to him.

Admittedly, the (vague) logic worked well enough prior to the saiyan stuff, since you could have reasoned that whilst Kami could theoretically do those things, he didn't so as not to actively screw up nature or make people reliant on him. But, so that there was a vague hope, and the ability to give them at least something should things go horribly awry, he created the dragonballs so that people could call upon the miracles themselves.

The concept of being able to call upon the power of the gods separately of the gods themselves (or whatever other cosmic force you want) is something that does come up a few times in Japanese media (at least of what I can tell from my limited experience of it), so it makes sense to see that idea crop up in the series. It just gets trickier when its made into a pseudo-biological capacity, and one where you can potentially substitute the guy with someone who has visibly been shown to have otherwise nothing going for them beyond some small degrees of flight and healing magic.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I think the best way for us to grasp it is by drawing parallels to Princess Mononoke (and that we get because the forest setting evokes similar stuff from Western ideas.)

The big boar guy and the giant wolf mother are both gods, but they get killed. The chief God of the forest appears to be killed but it was just weakened and forced to manifest a limited aspect of itself. There's a clear hierarchy of power among gods, even if they all owe their existence to the forest.

So kami is a god and shenlong is a god, but one is clearly more powerful than another. Shenlong can't really be killed, just temporarily put out of commission, just like the main forest God in Mononoke can be restored.

The afterlife stuff we see in the Saiyan arc then goes and makes a mess of this by introducing Buddhist traditions but not discarding the animist ones. I'll have to meditate on that and see if I can say anything intelligent about it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Xibanya posted:

I think the best way for us to grasp it is by drawing parallels to Princess Mononoke (and that we get because the forest setting evokes similar stuff from Western ideas.)

The big boar guy and the giant wolf mother are both gods, but they get killed. The chief God of the forest appears to be killed but it was just weakened and forced to manifest a limited aspect of itself. There's a clear hierarchy of power among gods, even if they all owe their existence to the forest.

So kami is a god and shenlong is a god, but one is clearly more powerful than another. Shenlong can't really be killed, just temporarily put out of commission, just like the main forest God in Mononoke can be restored.

The afterlife stuff we see in the Saiyan arc then goes and makes a mess of this by introducing Buddhist traditions but not discarding the animist ones. I'll have to meditate on that and see if I can say anything intelligent about it.

Didn't Kami have to create a new Shenlong after Piccolo Daimyo destroyed him in Dragonball?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Didn't Kami have to create a new Shenlong after Piccolo Daimyo destroyed him in Dragonball?

Yes.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Yeah but he's basically the same Shenlong. It's not like he's some new dragon we've never seen before.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Captain Q posted:

What about when Piccolo destroyed it after Gohan's rampage post-Radditz? Or was that filler

That still happened even in Kai so I think that happened in the manga as well. Vegeta does mention the moon being gone too, as he planned their visit to the full moon so he wouldn't have to use the Power Ball.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Captain Q posted:

Not filler. The Earth moon gets blown up twice in Dragon Ball.

First Goku goes Ape during WMAT. Roshi blows up moon to turn Goku back to normal.
Sometime between the death of King Piccolo and the third WMAT we see, Goku's tail is permanently removed by Kami and he restores the moon.
During Piccolo's training of Gohan, he blows up the moon again.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Naw, Popo just super glued him back together and Kami performed the ritual to restore the dragonballs.

tbp posted:

the first two arent in dbz so im not counting it, raditz was definitely not iompossible considering they beat him, nappa is the other guy i was thinking of tbh, vegeta and goku fought evenly, and freeza and buu were after recoome..

First off, you suck, second, Raditz was unstoppable in terms of pure strength, the only way they beat him was by essentially using a completely unfeasible trick that amounted to the same effect as a railgun.

Thirdly, Vegeta beat the crap out of Goku and only just ran out of strength beating the crap out of the rest. And we met Freeza before we met Recoome, but I figured I'd throw in Buu for regards to every one who was like that in the entire series.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Xibanya posted:

Kami specifically used his divine powers to make sure his tail never grew back, like a laser on a pube at a depilation salon.

I was talking about Gohan, whose tail was sliced off by Vegeta's Destruco Disk- but not entirely-, then it never came back after that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Goku doesn't actually win a fight in DBZ until Recoome. He then gets tricked by Ginyu, gets beat up by Freeza until Krillin eats it. He then has a heart attack, gets beat up by a clown bot and then loses to Cell.

Goku is a failure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Goku doesn't actually win a fight in DBZ until Recoome. He then gets tricked by Ginyu, gets beat up by Freeza until Krillin eats it. He then has a heart attack, gets beat up by a clown bot and then loses to Cell.

Goku is a failure.

... Nappa?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

... Nappa?

Vegeta won that fight.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Vegeta won that fight.

By that stupid fuckin' metric, Goku wins exactly two fights in DBZ.

Yakon and Kid Buu.

Vegeta on the other hand is apparently the best at winning with that metric, because he beats Nappa, Guldo, Burter, Recoome, Jeice, 19 and Pui Pui.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Vegeta won that fight.

Goku won. Nappa's purpose was to strike fear into the heart of the characters and damage them. When he was no longer capable of doing that, he was already dead, story-wise. Vegeta was allowed to kill him in order to show what an rear end in a top hat he was.

Similarly, Blue was dead story-wise after Arale beat him up since he lost all of his credibility as a fearsome threat because he had been humiliated despite the fact that he could probably still have killed Goku at that point. The only reason why he stays in the story after that is to show what an rear end in a top hat Red is and how scary Tao is.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Xibanya posted:

Goku won. Nappa's purpose was to strike fear into the heart of the characters and damage them. When he was no longer capable of doing that, he was already dead, story-wise. Vegeta was allowed to kill him in order to show what an rear end in a top hat he was.

Similarly, Blue was dead story-wise after Arale beat him up since he lost all of his credibility as a fearsome threat because he had been humiliated despite the fact that he could probably still have killed Goku at that point. The only reason why he stays in the story after that is to show what an rear end in a top hat Red is and how scary Tao is.

And yeah, that. You kind of need to look at what Goku's objective is in each fight to see if he "won" or not.

Goku dies against Raditz, but his death is much different from, say, Tien's death or Chiaotzu's death. Goku chooses death because that's the only path he sees to victory in that fight, and he succeeds. In comparison, Tien and Chiaotzu also choose death to kill Nappa, but are wholly unsuccesful.
Against Nappa he straight up just beats the crap out of him. His objective is to beat the poo poo out of Nappa and he does.
Against Vegeta he certainly doesn't win. His objective is to stop Vegeta, and he absolutely fails at that.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The Red Ribbon Army is like a proto-Planet Trade Corp. army. General Blue is like a proto-Vegeta. (hmm, deliberate Nazi allusion vs. a proponent of good breeding)

Oh yeah and Bulma wants to gently caress both of them, and actually succeeds with the latter. Hey also Goku and Vegeta are often coded red and blue in merch (although weirdly the kamehameha is blue and galic gun is red...)

I don't know what it means but I'm putting that all out there.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Krillin killed more Saibamen and Frieza mooks than Goku killed of anyone.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I didn't like that General Blue was stronger than Goku at all. In my opinion, even Krillin should have been able to take that loser.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mabels big day posted:

I didn't like that General Blue was stronger than Goku at all. In my opinion, even Krillin should have been able to take that loser.

Don't forget General Blue had his telepathy abilities that let him stun people. Speaking of which, there was surprising few enemies with those abilities beyond him and weak Guldo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rirse posted:

Don't forget General Blue had his telepathy abilities that let him stun people. Speaking of which, there was surprising few enemies with those abilities beyond him and weak Guldo.
I thought Chaotzu had psi powers. I guess they just don't scale up with training.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Nessus posted:

I thought Chaotzu had psi powers. I guess they just don't scale up with training.

His powers only work when his hands are outstetched. As long as the plot demands it. Um.

Watch this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Zvquhww80

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

New Leaf posted:

Krillin killed more Saibamen and Frieza mooks than Goku killed of anyone.

And, of course, Cell.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

I always forget Chaotzu has those powers too. Probably didn't help he never really used his moves outside of the Krillin fight and his one attempt to try to disable Nappa that ended in failure and him blowing himself up.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Xibanya posted:

The Red Ribbon Army is like a proto-Planet Trade Corp. army. General Blue is like a proto-Vegeta. (hmm, deliberate Nazi allusion vs. a proponent of good breeding)

Oh yeah and Bulma wants to gently caress both of them, and actually succeeds with the latter. Hey also Goku and Vegeta are often coded red and blue in merch (although weirdly the kamehameha is blue and galic gun is red...)

I don't know what it means but I'm putting that all out there.

I thought the Galic gun was purple? :raise:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Dragon Ball wiki has a page on telekinesis. Basically a surprising amount of characters have it at almost complete random, to the point where Cell could have gotten it from like four people.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Didn't Goku once randomly read Krillin's mind? As did Piccolo and Kami?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Covok posted:

Definitely Goku, after he touched down on Namek, probably the other two too although it escapes me when.

Hjalmar posted:

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

This thread is getting dangerously close to the Star Wars thread already.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Covok posted:

That's telepathy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Stairmaster posted:

That's telepathy.

It's still fall under the purview of psychic powers, though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Stairmaster posted:

That's telepathy.

Rirse posted:

:smug:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
How 'bout the power...to move you?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Couldn't Goku talk telepathically with Krillin and Gohan when Goku was beaten down by Vegeta?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Basically being a good enough punchman gives you psychic powers. This is basically the reasoning for Goku to have psychic powers, even. He outright states that he just "knew" he could read Krillin's mind, and before that he sent mind-messages to Gohan and Krillin somehow.

Freeza also has psychic powers, only he uses them offensively to throw rocks at people and trap them in balls which, in his own words, "might kill them".

Covok
May 27, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Basically being a good enough punchman gives you psychic powers. This is basically the reasoning for Goku to have psychic powers, even. He outright states that he just "knew" he could read Krillin's mind, and before that he sent mind-messages to Gohan and Krillin somehow.

Freeza also has psychic powers, only he uses them offensively to throw rocks at people and trap them in balls which, in his own words, "might kill them".

Of course. After all, everything in DBZ is decided by who either punches the strongest or knows some techniques that allow them to punch harder than they normally would. Why would psychic powers be different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine the reason behind Goku doing that was to

A. explain why Son Goku, noted ignoramous, now knew the story so far without having to do a whole chapter where Krillin recaps to him
B. show that Goku was like on a whole new level now (again).

• Locked thread