Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Is Swamp Thing good? I'm like to roll the dice and blind-buy blu rays sometimes, I feel like Swamp Thing may be something I'd like. Its Craven right?

Swamp Thing is very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

TheJoker138 posted:

Swamp Thing is very bad.

The television show is a guilty pleasure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

The television show is a guilty pleasure.

I liked it when I was a kid, then watched the first episode again recently and is basically incoherent and incomprehensible.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

TheJoker138 posted:

I liked it when I was a kid, then watched the first episode again recently and is basically incoherent and incomprehensible.

yeah it's wonderful

protip: watch the falcon-man episode

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 24, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Goddamn it, Fox is a bunch of assholes.

quote:

I want to believe that every episode will be in HD soon…

There’s huge news spreading across the land that the debut season of FOX’s sci-fi/drama series “The X-Files” is now streaming in HD on Netflix!

The first season featured 24 episodes – although only the first 13 are in HD – and introduced the world to FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully (David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, respectively), who investigated cases that might have had paranormal explanations. If ever there was a reason to give the show a shot, it’s this right here.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3341654/netflix-streams-first-season-x-files-hd/

And of course it isn't on Amazon Prime.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Goddamn it, Fox is a bunch of assholes.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3341654/netflix-streams-first-season-x-files-hd/

And of course it isn't on Amazon Prime.

I don't get what their game is here. Torrent sites already have HD rips from german tv of the first 3 seasons. We know they exist. Just freaking put it all up on netflix.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
So what are they gradually rolling out HD or are they just making it the first 13?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Probably testing it for...something to do with interest or revenue/it takes time to encode the color signals that cause violent delusions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jack Gladney posted:

Probably testing it for...something to do with interest or revenue/it takes time to encode the color signals that cause violent delusions.

The world will solely be the color blind.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Robert Harris gave the new Goodfellas 4K remaster 5/5 for both image and audio on HTF:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/340387-a-few-words-about%E2%84%A2-goodfellas-bd-take-3-in-blu-ray/

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Did anybody end up grabbing a copy of Gone with the Pope? I'm excited for this one.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Collector's Edition of Lawrence Of Arabia is down to $38.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UNCIWYAPQQRJZGC

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TheJoker138 posted:

Swamp Thing is very bad.

The first Craven film?

I'm not sure I can picture someone sitting down to watch a film called Swamp Thing, and being angry/disappointed at the end.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Red posted:

The first Craven film?

I'm not sure I can picture someone sitting down to watch a film called Swamp Thing, and being angry/disappointed at the end.

It's just boring.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Call Me Charlie posted:

The Collector's Edition of Lawrence Of Arabia is down to $38.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UNCIWYAPQQRJZGC

Everyone should buy this set because it rules, and it looks really awesome on your shelf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Daveski posted:

Everyone should buy this set because it rules, and it looks really awesome on your shelf.

I've held back from it because I feel like I'm basically paying for the book, which doesn't hold all that much interest for me. Are the two blu rays of special features worth it? I love the movie but I already own it on blu ray and don't care what it looks like on a shelf.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

I've held back from it because I feel like I'm basically paying for the book, which doesn't hold all that much interest for me. Are the two blu rays of special features worth it? I love the movie but I already own it on blu ray and don't care what it looks like on a shelf.

The third disc (exclusive to this set) has a very good full-length documentary called "In Love with the Desert", but it is unfortunately not in HD. The rest of the features are OK but mostly short. The soundtrack CD is great. The book is very nice if you care about that sort of thing. In general everything is really high-quality, probably the best collector's edition set I've seen for any film.

If you are buying the blu-ray for the first time and enjoy special features, I'd say that the extra ~$20 for this set is definitely worth it, but if you already have the regular version it may not be worth the upgrade.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 28, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Egbert Souse posted:

Robert Harris gave the new Goodfellas 4K remaster 5/5 for both image and audio on HTF:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/340387-a-few-words-about%E2%84%A2-goodfellas-bd-take-3-in-blu-ray/

Welp, add this one back to the list. Fortunately I have a used store here that gives decent prices on used discs, and they don't care what version it is - someone will buy it.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

Did anybody end up grabbing a copy of Gone with the Pope? I'm excited for this one.

success!

edit: Scream Factory just got the rights for giallo homage The Editor.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 2, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Untouched screenshots from the new Goodfellas release.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Call Me Charlie posted:

Jesus christ it's like getting new glasses.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There are loons on other forums unhappy that the color is different than the last Blu. The 4K was supervised by Scorsese, so gently caress them.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Call Me Charlie posted:

:holymoley:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

There are loons on other forums unhappy that the color is different than the last Blu. The 4K was supervised by Scorsese, so gently caress them.

If you see one of them just say "Go home and get your fuckin shinebox.".

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I want a 4K Kubrick boxset of all his Warner movies (and Spartacus)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
That Goodfellas release is looking shiny as hell. Can't wait to pick it up.

Also now that The Wire is finally getting close to it's blu-ray release after years of people saying "well it's 4:3 so it'll never make it to HD format obviously" can we finally start petitioning to get The Shield onto blu?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Also now that The Wire is finally getting close to it's blu-ray release...

The Wire has been out on blu-ray for several months now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TheJoker138 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Complete-BD-Blu-ray-Various/dp/B00UCOXZLU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1430999969&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Wire :confused:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

TheJoker138 posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I thought it came out really soon after it went up on HBO Go :doh:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Old:

New:

There's a halo on Liotta's pants that gets fixed on the new one.

Color swings a little bit magenta/blue but maybe that's my eyes lying to me because the older one was way too green/yellow. It's funny how different the lawn looks.

The reflection of the light on the car trunk shows much better levels.

Pretty good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Old:

New:

A lot more information in the shadows now :thumbsup:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Poor Joe Pesci

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Poor Joe Pesci, turned into a gun and died.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't really understand what reason there could possibly be for leaving Pesci out. Its not like Goodfellas has some gigantic ensemble cast, nobody would be expected to make the cover except for the main three. I guess somebody just really thought it was crucial for a picture of a gun to be on there.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Steve Yun posted:

Old:

New:

A lot more information in the shadows now :thumbsup:

Finally, 4k allows us to see the subtitles!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Worse, Goodfellas has such a great original poster that's been the artwork for pretty much every video release.

Edit:
They could have gone for this

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 7, 2015

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I never liked the original Goodfellas poster but it's pretty iconic, and way better than creating a generic, modern-looking Blu-Ray cover.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Egbert Souse posted:

Worse, Goodfellas has such a great original poster that's been the artwork for pretty much every video release.

Edit:
They could have gone for this

Ever since I first saw Goodfellas, every movie I see now, I secretly hope someone will pull that picture out of thin air, all "have you seen my new painting?"

If I ever make a movie, I'm putting it in myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Well, at least the new version can be easily recognized by the new cover art, even through the Amazon listings. Too many times have I had to do a bunch of research to figure out how to know if a Blu-ray at a store is the original release or the new one after everyone complained about the lovely transfer.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 8, 2015

• Locked thread