Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
So with Netflix starting to abandon its DVD business and home video rental stores more or less extinct in my area, I'm occassionally running into situations where a movie I'm looking for is neither available by streaming or (as far as I can tell) rentable. Without getting into :filez:, is there a service or option I'm overlooking? As an example, a friend of mine was surprised that I hadn't seen Willow so we looked it up. It's going for nearly $40 bucks on Amazon and is otherwise unavailable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fifteen of Many posted:

So with Netflix starting to abandon its DVD business and home video rental stores more or less extinct in my area, I'm occassionally running into situations where a movie I'm looking for is neither available by streaming or (as far as I can tell) rentable. Without getting into :filez:, is there a service or option I'm overlooking? As an example, a friend of mine was surprised that I hadn't seen Willow so we looked it up. It's going for nearly $40 bucks on Amazon and is otherwise unavailable.

It's a problem in general, but you can get a blu-ray/DVD combo of Willow for $15

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hedrigall posted:

I'm interested in catching up on the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. I've only seen Iron Man 1, Avengers 1 and Guardians of the Galaxy, and I enjoyed them all, even though Avengers had me confused sometimes with references back to earlier movies and characters I have no idea about.

I'm interested in finding out more about Thor and Cpt America but I give zero of a gently caress about the Hulk. Can I skip his standalone movie and still follow everything? Is there any other movie worth skipping?

edit: I also reeaaallly don't care about Agents of Shield.

I thought both Thor movies were horrible and the first Cap movie was meh. Otherwise, I've enjoyed the rest. Guardians was a lot better than I expected.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Thor movies are a weird case. What I like about them, is of the three solo MCU lines, they try the most to be constructed like regular movies. Captain America and Iron Man films are really caught up in having a bunch of specific comic book elements incorporated into them, which kind of clutters up the pacing and story beats. Thor follows more of an action/adventure movie formula with a lot less other stuff thrown in. At least that's how it feels to me. Thor is a traditional action hero, Vin Diesel type character. His conflicts, both inner and physical are straightforward and familiar. If all the crazy disjointed elements of the Iron Man movies are a turnoff, you might actually like Thor better. Captain america 1 was pretty bad. Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier had it's flaws, but was a much more engaging movie throughout, and had absolutely fantastic actions scenes. Also, if Black Widow is the best in the Winter Soldier, so if the really thin writing of her character in both Avengers movies is something you don't like about her, she gets a lot more time to develop in Cap 2.

Edit: Guardians is really, really great, and can be totally stand alone.

edit: I may have only read the first sentence of your post before writing all that crap...

You can totally skip Incredible Hulk. It's not great and doesn't really have the MCU feel...
You can also probably skip Iron Man 2, if you want to.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 4, 2015

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Hedrigall posted:

I'm interested in catching up on the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. I've only seen Iron Man 1, Avengers 1 and Guardians of the Galaxy, and I enjoyed them all, even though Avengers had me confused sometimes with references back to earlier movies and characters I have no idea about.

I'm interested in finding out more about Thor and Cpt America but I give zero of a gently caress about the Hulk. Can I skip his standalone movie and still follow everything? Is there any other movie worth skipping?

edit: I also reeaaallly don't care about Agents of Shield.

The Incredible Hulk is completely skippable. If anything, it could make you MORE confused, just because its major plot points are pretty much completely ignored in the movies that came after (save for Ruffalo's one line in The Avengers about tearing up Harlem).

You can also skip Thor, which is honestly borderline incompetent. Branagh's directing is horrendous (there are more dutch angles than in Terry Gilliam's entire oeuvre), Hemsworth looks like he had his beard and eyebrows dyed with dijon mustard, and the whole thing is boring as hell. If you made it through Avengers, you know as much about Thor and Loki as you need to know to just skip it. People rag on the second Thor movie for being kind of brainless and inconsequential, but I thought it was a lot of fun. (Along with GotG, it's one of the funniest MCU movies.)

Both Cap movies are awesome. (The Winter Soldier is one of the best movies in the MCU, if not THE best.) Skip Iron Man 2. Watch Iron Man 3. If you don't care to watch AoS, you can skip it, too. It's basically the B-story to the MCU -- lots of fun for diehards (Season 1 got off to a rocky start, but Season 2 has been fantastic), but 100% nonessential to understanding the movies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Nothing really depends on each other besides the direct sequels and even there you could watch Winter Soldier having only seen Avengers and getting the basic gist of the first Captain America film (he fights super Nazis and gets frozen for 70 years).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

computer parts posted:

Nothing really depends on each other besides the direct sequels and even there you could watch Winter Soldier having only seen Avengers and getting the basic gist of the first Captain America film (he fights super Nazis and gets frozen for 70 years).

Okay I love any kind of supernatural Nazi villains (see Hellboy) so that actually sounds right up my alley.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hedrigall posted:

Okay I love any kind of supernatural Nazi villains (see Hellboy) so that actually sounds right up my alley.

Cap 1 is the one you want. Winter Soldier is good, but lacking in Supernatural Nazis for the most part.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hedrigall posted:

Cap 1 kicks rear end. On cable last night there was some dtv Bloodrayne sequel where she fights nazi vampires but the first 20 minutes were so lame and were mostly exposition by Clint Howard so I changed the channel.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

Cap 1 kicks rear end. On cable last night there was some dtv Bloodrayne sequel where she fights nazi vampires but the first 20 minutes were so lame and were mostly exposition by Clint Howard so I changed the channel.

The finniest bit of trivia for the firt BloodRayne moie is that filming it totally ruined a wedding that was supposed to take place at at one of their filming locations the day after they were done. It was an outdoor location and filming ran way late and they left the area littered with fake blood and stuff. Uwe Boll said he didn't care "because the bride was fat".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snak posted:

The finniest bit of trivia for the firt BloodRayne moie is that filming it totally ruined a wedding that was supposed to take place at at one of their filming locations the day after they were done. It was an outdoor location and filming ran way late and they left the area littered with fake blood and stuff. Uwe Boll said he didn't care "because the bride was fat".

Was that the one that hired real prostitutes since they are cheaper than actors?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

Cap 1 is the one you want. Winter Soldier is good, but lacking in Supernatural Nazis for the most part.

Hydra not being technically nazis is my biggest gripe with the movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Was that the one that hired real prostitutes since they are cheaper than actors?

I think so, yeah.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I read an interview where he said they were delivered like turnips in the back of a cart. God only knows what sort of criminals he was dealing with.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Fifteen of Many posted:

Depending where you live, public libraries are a great option.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Harmony Korine and Uwe Boll are basically the same person

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine
how was big trouble in little china received by the general public after its release? i know critics were kind of cold on it but i wanna know if people thought it was a tacky nightmare or actually amazing and good (which it is)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dataisplural posted:

how was big trouble in little china received by the general public after its release? i know critics were kind of cold on it but i wanna know if people thought it was a tacky nightmare or actually amazing and good (which it is)

I wonder this myself. The two white characters in it are extremely marginal but it's clearly an American film.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

Harmony Korine and Uwe Boll are basically the same person

As in they look similar, or they both make terrible movies, or they are both terrible people?

Cause I don't know anything about Harmony Korine.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Korine seems like Boll if Boll made good films, or at least, celebrated films, they both really wanna fight people for no reason anyways.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dataisplural posted:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wonder this myself. The two white characters in it are extremely marginal but it's clearly an American film.

It didn't gross a lot at the theaters but I know it was pretty popular and had mainstream appeal right away because I remember it getting a lot of airplay on basic TV back ~1987. I was really young but remember older relatives/classmates liking it. One of the earliest films that stuck with me (along with The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension and Flash Gordon).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I've heard that Carpenter wanted Jackie Chan for it and man that goes on my list of films I wish we got like Cronenberg's Total Recall and poo poo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For the most part people didn't get- and the marketing didn't convey- that it was an homage to crazy HK martial arts and fantasy movies. That was still outside a lot of people's frame of reference (as late as the 90s the only way to see some of those films in America was to rent crappy bootlegs from Chinese grocery stores).

dataisplural
Oct 27, 2013

a stream of poo and urine

FishBulb posted:

I've heard that Carpenter wanted Jackie Chan for it and man that goes on my list of films I wish we got like Cronenberg's Total Recall and poo poo

did they ever say as who? wang chi? i like dennis dun too much to imagine that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

dataisplural posted:

did they ever say as who? wang chi? i like dennis dun too much to imagine that.

I assumed that was the plan

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
This is more of a question about the forum itself, but I'm not sure where it would go:

Why do people use spoiler tags to basically hide their entire posts when discussing a movie even a week or more after it's released? Personally if I don't want to get spoiled on a movie I haven't seen yet, I avoid areas where people would discuss it. Is there a certain time when spoiler tags aren't needed anymore?

I don't post here often, I just came in to discuss Ex Machina and the thread is like a CIA file or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

triplexpac posted:

This is more of a question about the forum itself, but I'm not sure where it would go:

Why do people use spoiler tags to basically hide their entire posts when discussing a movie even a week or more after it's released? Personally if I don't want to get spoiled on a movie I haven't seen yet, I avoid areas where people would discuss it. Is there a certain time when spoiler tags aren't needed anymore?

I don't post here often, I just came in to discuss Ex Machina and the thread is like a CIA file or something.

I don't know either, I don't read threads for movies I haven't seen so I can avoid spoilers too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In the movie's thread, spoilers shouldn't in my opinion be necessary after its release. It's more of a common courtesy to tag your posts in places where people can reasonably expect not having the movie spoiled. Like when you're reading some thread about caterpillars and someone wants to reference a scene in the latest horse movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A lot of people start reading those threads prior to a film's release and enjoy talking about the marketing, pre-production stuff, other movies in the franchise (if applicable), etc. If the thread has enough momentum the conversations sometimes go into other movies and how they relate to the one the thread is about or some other tangents. Then when the movie comes out some people still want to talk about some of those previously mentioned aspects, but not so much the actual movie's contents due to not having time to see it.

I think spoilers for the first week or two is a fair expectation for those readers, but I don't really mind it one way or the other. I enjoy reading spoilers for some movies prior to seeing them, it helps get me out of the mind set of guessing what's coming next and into the mind set of observing what's actually happening.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spoiler tags are a basic courtesy, but blacking out half of every sentence across two to three paragraphs is moronic and what really creates that CIA document feel. There's no good reason to make people click to reveal more than once per post, it's just more work for both the writer and the reader, while also being uglier.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really don't like it in movie threads that aren't based on hype but get why it's there.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Spoiler tags are a basic courtesy, but blacking out half of every sentence across two to three paragraphs is moronic and what really creates that CIA document feel. There's no good reason to make people click to reveal more than once per post, it's just more work for both the writer and the reader.

I agree with this sentiment on spoilers. I've seen posts where a word or two per sentence are spoiler tagged, just spoiler tag the whole paragraph.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
In Ghost World, the first time they go to the diner two songs play on the jukebox, what's the second one? Is it original? This is, to me, a great mystery

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Additionally, lot of people will pop into a thread to see what the general consensus on the quality of a film is before they go and see it.

Yes people should not use spoiler tags in idiotic ways, but this is the internet we are talking about...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would say that's what that Film Dump thing is for but I've only looked at it once or twice.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Film Dump is weird to me because then it's like, why post on a forum at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, it's a real odd concept...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

I wonder if Cronenberg's Total Recall would've been all that different from Verhoeven's, really.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

The Film Dump is weird to me because then it's like, why post on a forum at all.

It was a movie blog before a ton of people set out and made their own ones. I like it for seeing what films were popular among SA awhile back but the rating system is not the easiest to maneuver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wonder if Cronenberg's Total Recall would've been all that different from Verhoeven's, really.

I don't really know but I'm curious.

Also at one point Richard Dreyfus was attached to star I believe. That would be different.