Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blinks77 posted:

You turn slightly faster than a fuso, with the same sized turning circle and any attempt to get close can and will end with you getting blown to bits as everyone is using the aiming mod. The Nagato's secondary armament is broadly comparable to the Fuso's while it's lacking the two extra turrets for those all important citadel hits and finally, declaring a ship "good" only when you can get a lvl 4 skill on it seems silly at best.

Basically? Those tactics work just as well for the Fuso as they do the Nagato while the Fuso has better long range firepower, more chance of killing things close in and far more generous match making.

Nagato has something like double the number of secondaries compared to the Fuso, with a much longer max secondary range and superior armor and HP pool. It's a superior brawler...assuming its fighting anything but a Fuso.

The Fuso is one of the best ships in the game tier-for-tier, its tough comparing anything to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Nagato has something like double the number of secondaries compared to the Fuso, with a much longer max secondary range and superior armor and HP pool. It's a superior brawler...assuming its fighting anything but a Fuso.

The Fuso is one of the best ships in the game tier-for-tier, its tough comparing anything to it.

She's got *only* 2 extra 5.5-inchers per side, but the firing angles on hers are so much better that you can expect to have most of them firing away while on Kongo and Fuso they tend to have rather narrow angles that often see only half of them actually engaging.

And brawling Fusos is the funniest thing with her. You just angle enough to fire the rear turrets, then angle back during reload and you will practically never suffer a citadel penetration and often see shots pass by to your left and right because your narrow profile plays havoc with shell dispersion on BB guns. Fuso trying the same gets to pick her poison: Only use the #3 turret plus the frontal ones or turn enough that you show a juicy waterline side that the 16-inchers can get citadel pens against. Either way, she's at a big handicap.

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 6, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Oh god I finally got around to watching the show where they talk about the US ships and dear god. That guy is just not very good. He needs his notes.

And since when did the Wyoming have 14" guns? They were the last of the 12" guns before the 14" armed New Yorks.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Nagato ain't poo poo. I torp those bitches at 4km and roll in the money. (I nearly died and he nearly didn't die, what the gently caress. I think he ate like 5 torpedoes from a loving Fubuki).

grrarg posted:

The reason I asked about replay hosting sites earlier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcK7ZgL_N78
That poor Kawachi. If I did not get him, the bombers would have. If they did not, the destroyer to the northwest probably would have.

Man, stuff like that reminds me of why I kept my Minekaze. That loving torp reload time. Its all poo poo from there, my friend.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
God drat the atlanta is amazing. I had a game where by the time I died, our team was already winning and I had put out 209 hits. This thing is nuts.

And then I took it out again and while my destroyers were farting torps into a narrow trying to hit the enemy destroyer, I just rolled in and lit a salvo adjusting on each shot so it was a wide spread maximizing the chance of a citadel. It worked and the half health enemy DD died. Then our fubuki started spraying torps at an approaching baltimore. By the time I arrived, the baltimore didn't have much health left which I summarily polished off. On my way to join the fight on the other flank, an enemy fighter group was enroute to try and catch up to a torp bomber wing. Sadly, they flew right over me and died trying to get away because I had also opened up barrage. Final fire was a cleveland desperate to stop the 3 DDs and a pensicola on the cap circle. As I got into range, the poor cleveland just bled health.

The atlanta though has a few weaknesses to watch for though. Short range for the tier. Especially as a cruiser. In fact, your firing circle is also the point when you'll be spotted by other surface ships. They are the same. Take that seriously into account. It has a mean set of rof, but they are only 152mm so each shot is fairly weak (perhaps weaker still post patch depending on your range since non pens stop doing damage with ap). Pubbies have also already figured out that atlantas and clevelands are no joke ships. If they come into their range, expect all eyes to turn and focus on you. If they don't focus on you, the ship is amazing. Speaking of things shooting you, your turrets are made of wet cardboard. No, I'm not joking, it takes very little for your turrets to be knocked out. Permanently. I don't mean excessive use of the repair party, I mean turrets that no longer function that the repair party can't fix. I had a game once where I was down to just 4 turrets available for a broadside. And if I had turned the other way, it would only have been 3 turrets. A loss of a turret will really weaken that dps advantage you start out with.

Edit:
The two games mentioned in replay form if you wish to see this thing in action. Note these are dropbox links, so right click->save as.

This is the 209 hit game. It is absolutely hilarious shooting sequentially
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9343084/WoWS%20Replays/20150506_013541_PASC006-Atlanta-1942_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

3 kill game including mauling a fighter group
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9343084/WoWS%20Replays/20150506_020251_PASC006-Atlanta-1942_15_NE_north.wowsreplay

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 6, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Slowly getting the hang of the DD thing and it's mostly about patience for me, and watching for opportunities and getting the timing right. I just took out a full health Fuso with my Farragut. It took 8 full torp hits to kill him because I refuse to go to 4.5km range torps, but in this case it wouldn't have mattered since I popped around an island at about 3km with him closing so it was probably only a 2k trip for the torps. Used the guns to kill a Minikaze, and then put a torpedo into the rear end of a Cleveland, flooding it, and leaving it with under 200 health and it had already popped the repair, so that would have been a kill, but someone else dropped a salvo on him to finish him before the flooding. Helped out with guns on a Clemson and Isokaze to finish up with top xp on the team.

It was nothing compared to some of the DD games that have been posted here by you guys, but I finished the game alive (capping) while significantly contributing to the win, which is a huge thing for me in a DD, because I usually do something dumb due to impatience and trying to get a big torpedo salvo into something, and get blown out of the water.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Ugh, confirming the Nagato is a pain in the rear end at closer than 5km. Those secondaries spray everywhere and make it impossible to point blank unless you caught them around a corner.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Atlanta actually has 127mm guns (5-inch, same as the US DDs), not 152mm.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I have come to terms with the Nagato, the secondaries now that I have AFT on my commander are indeed pretty useful and the bigger guns mean more citadel hits up close and personal. It can still be a pain to get there though and tier for tier I like the Fuso better, actually I think the Fuso has been my favorite ship so far.

What's the word on American BBs? I know people are complaining about the range on the mid tier ships but I was surprised they actually went ahead and put the Montana in.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
The word is that no one knows because they're not released yet so we only have a couple of bits of data to go on

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Low tier destroyers are a boatload of fun. Your torps reload fast as hell and nothing has particularly scary secondaries (except perhaps the Fuso when I'm playing the Nicholas). Even so, smoke goes a long way towards loving someone's day up. Maybe I just have the heart of a WWII destroyer captain but there are so many situations I've gone into thinking "This is dumb you are going to die idiot" and then I sail out of the middle of the map with two CAs and a BB painted on my bridge (with scorch marks and holes everywhere :v:). It is so much fun watching pubbies lose their poo poo when a salvo of torpedoes comes out of a smoke cloud to send them to the bottom.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 6, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Axetrain posted:

What's the word on American BBs? I know people are complaining about the range on the mid tier ships but I was surprised they actually went ahead and put the Montana in.

They have enough historical ship classes to choose from to make two distinct 4-10 branches, one fast battleships, one standard battleships, and instead they've screwed up that opportunity by mixing and matching into one. So instead of a future full second branch they'll give a half-rear end tier 8-10 like the new French branch twig in tanks that goes South Dakota, paper Iowa option, paper Montana option.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

How do you get these detailled player/ship list on the left and right side of the screen ?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Krogort posted:

How do you get these detailled player/ship list on the left and right side of the screen ?

I'm assuming that's a mod, but I have no idea which one.

Anyways, goodbye Fubuki. You will not be missed. Long Lances and the Kagero, here I am!
And first game I play with long lances and my retrained commander, I get 2 kills off one salvo of torps. I'm already in love.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Krogort posted:

Isn't that in by default? It's just ship silhouettes, which IIRC are in the default install.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Icons are default, but the list like on the Tab menu isn't.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Settings > Controls > Display Team Panels (bottom left corner)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

They have enough historical ship classes to choose from to make two distinct 4-10 branches, one fast battleships, one standard battleships, and instead they've screwed up that opportunity by mixing and matching into one. So instead of a future full second branch they'll give a half-rear end tier 8-10 like the new French branch twig in tanks that goes South Dakota, paper Iowa option, paper Montana option.

They'll probably just split the tree later because they learned people want their cool main ships rather than starting with half the big names not in and coherent trees like warplanes had.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

xthetenth posted:

They'll probably just split the tree later because they learned people want their cool main ships rather than starting with half the big names not in and coherent trees like warplanes had.

I feel like back when everyone was posting in the tanks thread one of the alpha testers let leak that they are planing on having two full US BB and CA trees at some post release point.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hagop posted:

I feel like back when everyone was posting in the tanks thread one of the alpha testers let leak that they are planing on having two full US BB and CA trees at some post release point.

Pretty sure that was actually public-facing info and pretty vague, but yes.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Beach Bum posted:

Settings > Controls > Display Team Panels (bottom left corner)

How could I miss that, thanks.

Hagop posted:

Maybe separate battleship from battlecruiser and heavy from light cruiser into their own trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMk_lLalrAg
This seem stupidly powerfull, is that hard to pull out ?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Krogort posted:

You pretty much have to manually drop if you want your torps to hit.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
iChase is a pretty efficient CV player so ymmv.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Krogort posted:

How could I miss that, thanks.

Maybe separate battleship from battlecruiser and heavy from light cruiser into their own trees.

It takes practice, but yeah it's the way to go 100%. By the time you hit Saipan you should probably be pretty good at it. There's absolutely nothing like landing 4-5 torps from a single strike on a BB and watching his bar just vanish.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Magni thank you for the inspiration.. I ground the last 60k and unlocked the Yamato, sold my soul to the devil and bought it after cleaning house in my port.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

NTRabbit posted:

:crossarms: And what exactly would be the tier 10 standard that would be equivalent to the Montana and Yamato? Also the only fast BB that's missing is the South Dakota.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

:crossarms: And what exactly would be the tier 10 standard that would be equivalent to the Montana and Yamato? Also the only fast BB that's missing is the South Dakota.

The USN made a loving mountain of paper when considering designs. There's going to be fun things in there. If I'm not mistaken there's definitely drafts for follow on heavier designs to the Iowa that kept the speed.

What I want though are some of the earlier standards, and I really want the pre escalator clause North Carolina with three glorious quadruple 14" turrets.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

xthetenth posted:

The USN made a loving mountain of paper when considering designs. There's going to be fun things in there.

What I want though are some of the earlier standards, and I really want the pre escalator clause North Carolina with three glorious quadruple 14" turrets.
Well I assumed when he said "historical ship classes" that he meant ships that existed, but yeah I want to see the 1920's SoDak :getin:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Insert name here posted:

Well I assumed when he said "historical ship classes" that he meant ships that existed, but yeah I want to see the 1920's SoDak :getin:

A little thing like existence will not stand between wargaming and your money.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Insert name here posted:

NTRabbit posted:

Also I came up with a second US battleship branch while the server was down, but sadly it'll never happen: Virginia-class -> Delaware-class -> Lexington (1920)-class -> CA-2 class (a 19,000t 3x2 gunned Alaska) -> Alaska-class -> CA-2D class (a 39,000t 4x3 gunned Alaska) -> South Dakota-class -> Iowa-class, thanks for indulging back to Phoenix time.

Pulled in the paper Alaskas because there are more standards than fasts in history, and at 19 and 21 knots repsectively the Virginia and Delaware were pretty fast for the age :v: North Carolina is nominally a fast battleship, but 27 knots isn't all that fast tbh.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 6, 2015

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I managed to sink 4 teammates, including both carriers, before I was taken down. NOW I understand why Japanese DDs are so much fun.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah but I mean, I don't see how it's too different from what we had now though. Since presumably the first line would still be standards capped off by fast BBs at the end which is... exactly how it is now.

Anyway I went back and looked at the US CV line in the stream and it looks like while they haven't added the Midway yet, the Essex has already been knocked down to tier 9.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Insert name here posted:

Yeah but I mean, I don't see how it's too different from what we had now though. Since presumably the first line would still be standards capped off by fast BBs at the end which is... exactly how it is now.

Montana isn't a fast battleship, North Carolina is only a fast battleship by name, it had standard speed in reality, and there are a lot of standards to pick before them

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Montana isn't a fast battleship, North Carolina is only a fast battleship by name, it had standard speed in reality, and there are a lot of standards to pick before them

27 != 23

Standard battleship is a technical term with a fixed meaning. It's the group of battleships with two front and two aft turrets that kept a standard speed and got incremental upgrades with each successive class, culminating with the Colorados. Ingame the New Mexicos are the other representatives of the type. The North Carolina design was faster because the US had a better idea of how fast the Nagatos and Kongos were and wanted something faster than they had.

Honestly though the South Dakota classes should provide enough stuff to fill a gap between the standards and Montana, and the North Carolina could go to a lighter line. It's going to be awkward any way they go because the South Dakota is a half tier from the Iowa and North Carolina classes most likely.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That would make the Montana neither fast nor standard, but something else, then - a redefinition of the standard maybe, with a new speed limit to match powerplant improvements.

Even though 'fast battleship' had no strict definition, not being able to clear 30 knots doesn't make a good argument for either South Dakota or North Carolina to be called fast battleships compared to the Iowa and the Alaska and Lexington battlecruisers. Awkward ships.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Yeah, the 1920s South Dakota and the Tillman Maximum battleship designs could easily fill out a slow tree. Hell, you could probably make three full trees if you really tried.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

That would make the Montana neither fast nor standard, but something else, then - a redefinition of the standard maybe, with a new speed limit to match powerplant improvements.

Even though 'fast battleship' had no strict definition, not being able to clear 30 knots doesn't make a good argument for either South Dakota or North Carolina to be called fast battleships compared to the Iowa and the Alaska and Lexington battlecruisers. Awkward ships.

Battleships, as opposed to fast battleships.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
All this wanking over US battleships and US pseudo-battleships is just making me pine for the Takao and Akizuki more.

And Ise/Hyuga hybrid battleships. I would totally sign on to try and attempt to micromanage floatplane bombers while reloading BB guns.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

This is my SECOND game with long lances on the Kagero. This ship is a monster. 3 double turrets can actually hit people for damage that exists. The turn rate is still awful, but I've worked with it before, so I know how to play the "lock turrets and wiggle until they reload" game. Those 3 torp hits, however, got me 2 kills. Not to mention I was up against a cruiser and a DD while stopping them from capping our base long enough for 2 of our guys to get to theirs and cap it uncontested.

Still not very happy about waiting nearly 2 minutes for a reload just to fire 2 quad torpedo tubes, but I can't complain about the results when they hit. Concealment is high, though the ship is a tiny bit slower than the previous ones. A look at the Shimakaze, however, gets me excited. 40 knots, 3 quintuple torpedo tubes, and even deadlier torpedoes when they hit (the loss of 5 km matters a lot less when they're going from 20km to 15km, I still don't even fire the torps until I'm within 10km, preferably 8 at the most). The faster torpedoes also make it much easier to hit people on the ice map, as I can wait longer to see what my target is going to do before launching torpedoes through the gaps in the iceburgs. I'll undoubtedly be keeping my Kagero, even if I eventually grind my way up to the Shimakaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Super secret pro strat:

I just tested dive bombing from the plane camera and once you get adjusted to it, you start scoring good hits. Unlike the normal CV overhead cam the plane cam gives you a closer view and it's easier to judge course and speed of your target, you also see the keel water far more clearly which is another aid when plotting your release point.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 7, 2015