Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

xzzy posted:

Is there any rec league that forbids line changes? Every rink I know of in my area allows changes on an icing.

The only time we can't change is during a stoppage when shorthanded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Does anyone have any experience with replacing eyelets in leather skates? I have an old pair of mission hi lo skates that have sat for close to 10 years at this point and the eyelet pulled out when I tried to lace them up. The leather is a bit rough too, but I think I can softer that up.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Does anyone have any experience with replacing eyelets in leather skates? I have an old pair of mission hi lo skates that have sat for close to 10 years at this point and the eyelet pulled out when I tried to lace them up. The leather is a bit rough too, but I think I can softer that up.
Any decent local hockey shop should be to do it. It should only be a couple bucks.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

shyduck posted:

Any decent local hockey shop should be to do it. It should only be a couple bucks.

Both skates seem like they need to be fully replaced.

Edit: not that I'm averse to going to a shop...but if its like 3 bucks an eyelet and I need both sets done it's going to be like 40 to 60 a skate :/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If they're that old honestly you might think about just replacing them. If you replace all the eyelets and something else needs to be fixed that would suck.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah that's gonna be expensive. Mine I think were like $2 apiece at Total Hockey but this was done a few years back so I don't quite remember.

Honestly though if they've been sitting that long and they're in that kind of shape, it sounds like they might be dry-rotted.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Wait until your toe caps start cracking in those missions. Fun times feeling the ice spray on your toes in a game.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Have been invited to partake in a weekly training session organised by a bunch of guys who aren't actually on teams yet. Despite this being at 10:15 I have jumped at the opportunity. I understand this sort of time slot is something I should become comfortable with... better to start now I guess. And despite being at 10:15 I am really looking forward to it.

I guess the moral of the story is, get to know people at the rink through the LTP and Drop-In and good things can happen.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
A buddy and I have been putting together a Wednesday 11:15pm mixed/mid-level scrimmage, and usually get about 10-16 players plus goalies to play until 1am. We're also using this a a draft planner to see who sticks around late to bullshit about hockey theory.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Lots of triangles posted:

Really? I was just going by the rules they have on their website: http://sharksiceatsanjose.s3.amazonaws.com/doc/SIAHL_rules12.pdf

I played a couple DD games this season and can't recall any red line icing calls, but maybe I just had my head up my rear end.

What team?

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar

Habibi posted:

What team?

Chiefs. Only had two games, other team forfeited the first game of the season.

Still catching up to DD, might be a bit over my head at the moment, oh well!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

sellouts posted:

Wait until your toe caps start cracking in those missions. Fun times feeling the ice spray on your toes in a game.

They're inline skates so that won't be an issue...though the thought of the toe cap splitting is not a pleasant.

They are more of a nostalgia thing...I have a nice set of skates I've been playing in, but the Missions were my first really good pair. Also, they are Vibes with a hi lo chassis with a set of shocks. They are just funny.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
The hockey gods were not very happy with me this week. My team lost 1-9 against a team we had beaten a few times so far this season. The bounces just did not come and I missed wide on 2 easy backdoor tip ins. On 1offensive possession I got high sticked hard (never taking this cage off btw), then their defense-man went to clear the puck but I barely got my stick on it as he hit it so the puck slammed into my ear and into my glove, I popped it out in front of my to shovel it into the net and their center layed me out, in 2 passes they had a 3-1 rush and scored. Aluminum league ringers and no calls, yay!

We also had a puck go in the net but the ref (the best one, he's pretty good) just stared at it.
My other winger yells at him "It's in!"
"No it's not." At this point I'm on the side and see it's juuuuust barely touching the line and go to tap it but the goalie finally found it and covered right as my stick got there. At this point we were down 1-6 and I was just laughing at how brutal this game was going, told the ref "Nice call"

Then in pick up my defense-man rips a clearing pass from the wall that would have went to the other wall... If my tricep above my elbow wasn't in the way.

I really hope that it bruises up nicely so I have something to show for not being able to fully extend or close my arm at work today, but I probably won't even get that.

Still had fun, 4 sessions on the ice in these Graf's and I'm starting to adapt to the aggressive lean.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Adam is barely a ringer but yeah he should be playing for the lower copper Sharknado team imo. He has a good shot.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eagles came today :toot:

They feel amazing. They're basically a CP94 cut. Unfortunately it'll be a couple of weeks before I can actually use them, but I'm very excited

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Chiefs. Only had two games, other team forfeited the first game of the season.

Still catching up to DD, might be a bit over my head at the moment, oh well!

Oh yeah, I'm on the Sabres - we played and lost to you guys in a shootout in the preseason. DD is not too much of a jump from DDD. What number are you, so I can say "Hi" next time around?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
It's my second ever season of hockey and one thing I never thought about was the guys driving the Zamboni. I always just took it for granted and never gave a second thought as to whether there would be some guys better than others, I always just thought you drove around and job done.

However, we've had this one dude do two of our games and he's got the water on full loving bore, it's like we're going out to play water polo or something. Almost The entire ice sheet was a mini lake. Both teams basically sat on their benches for as long as we could to try and let it freeze up some. Even when the game started there were guys who would lose the puck because it would hit a wet spot and kill all the momentum.

Is this a common thing you guys deal with or are we just dealing with some guy who is completely clueless?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jovial Cow posted:

It's my second ever season of hockey and one thing I never thought about was the guys driving the Zamboni. I always just took it for granted and never gave a second thought as to whether there would be some guys better than others, I always just thought you drove around and job done.

However, we've had this one dude do two of our games and he's got the water on full loving bore, it's like we're going out to play water polo or something. Almost The entire ice sheet was a mini lake. Both teams basically sat on their benches for as long as we could to try and let it freeze up some. Even when the game started there were guys who would lose the puck because it would hit a wet spot and kill all the momentum.

Is this a common thing you guys deal with or are we just dealing with some guy who is completely clueless?

In my limited experience, there is usually at least one incompetent driver at a rink. We had a game delayed once because the kid driving it stalled it out or something and they couldn't get it moving. Enter this 80+ year old gentleman who looked like he may have trained on the original zamboni to smoothly and calmly get the thing going and proceed to finish off the rink in like thirty seconds, going full speed the whole way.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyduck posted:

Eagles came today :toot:

They feel amazing. They're basically a CP94 cut. Unfortunately it'll be a couple of weeks before I can actually use them, but I'm very excited

Do they have the h34 and vintage stamps on the inside of each hand along the pointer finger?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
You know whats not fun?

Going down 1-0, tying it up 1-1, them going up 2-1 us tying it up 2-2 with a wraparound goal with a minute left. Go into a 5 minute OT.

Our team was passing/dumping the puck up the center of our own zone all night resulting in a lot of turnovers, shots and a few goals despite our very vocal efforts to instruct them not to do that. Our defensemen were also pinching up on every approaching forward and getting burned every time resulting in lots of odd man rushes/breakaways. Oh well, we made it to overtime.

Halfway through OT and the puck is in the offensive zone, one of the D men goes in really low (near the net) and the winger didn't cover. Puck goes to the far boards and our remaining defenseman chooses to pinch on the puck rather than retreat back to play defense (since he's the only defenseman back). Unfortunately there are 2 skaters coming at him. They chip the puck past the defenseman but too far for the skater to grab immediately. Our goalie makes a very late decision to charge the puck. He goes down to stop the puck but the forward has already reached it and gets just enough on it to trickle into the net. I don't blame the goalie at all, he made a desperation move to stop what could have easily been a breakaway goal. The defense on the other hand ...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We placate our zamboni driver with beer, it does help to be on good terms with them.

Just make sure they're 21. :angel:

Lots of triangles
Oct 7, 2002
I'm sick of the newbie avatar

Habibi posted:

Oh yeah, I'm on the Sabres - we played and lost to you guys in a shootout in the preseason. DD is not too much of a jump from DDD. What number are you, so I can say "Hi" next time around?

I wear #36 and have silly green laces on my skates right now. If you start with that "stairs in your house" poo poo though, so help me god.

And yeah, the divisions do scale up pretty smoothly, though I jumped from DDDDD to DD so the difference is a little more stark. Mostly it's just having less time to think.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

sellouts posted:

Do they have the h34 and vintage stamps on the inside of each hand along the pointer finger?

Nope, the only branding on it is the Eagle text on the wrist roll and the palms. I believe these were made custom for the shop that I ordered them from. They fit like a traditional 4-roll.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jovial Cow posted:

Every single game. Our rink cuts the ice, parks the Zamboni, then lets everyone on without giving it any time to dry. It's loving retarded.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I wear #36 and have silly green laces on my skates right now. If you start with that "stairs in your house" poo poo though, so help me god.

And yeah, the divisions do scale up pretty smoothly, though I jumped from DDDDD to DD so the difference is a little more stark. Mostly it's just having less time to think.
"Are you the number 36 from those forums? You know, the ones with the stairs?"

Well, I'm 31, so I guess we have a penchant for unconventional skater numbers. If you see me, feel free to eschew the stairs and just yell, "Andrew!"

And yeah, the DDDD jump is more profound. I think DDD is actually closer to DD than DDDD is to DDD.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Every single game. Our rink cuts the ice, parks the Zamboni, then lets everyone on without giving it any time to dry. It's loving retarded.

We get this too, and it is terrible, but it's not because they're incompetent but because they have games scheduled right on top of one another.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 6, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have never been to a rink where we weren't allowed on the ice the second the Zamboni's wheels leave the ice. Some rinks have more puddles than others, some freeze faster, some take forever.

Our league uses 5 different rinks in the area.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Most rinks I play at are the same way, mostly because they want games to run on time and give no shits about the ice surface. Our pregame warmups are usually with half the ice still wet so good luck stick handling or practicing shots with sticky pucks.

As far as skating goes, its water freezing on top of the cuts so it shouldn't really matter if people are skating on wet ice, the water will eventually freeze in those grooves anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Both the rinks I skate at have been known to give 2 minute minors to any teams that step on the ice before the doors are shut.

So that's like an extra 30 seconds to let the ice set. Helps in the winter, doesn't help in the summer.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Pretty much the same. Then they start running the clock for 3 minutes of warm up. Nothing like puddles everywhere! Or not allowing enough time from the figure skaters earlier to at least make the divots smaller.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Thinking about it, we're not allowed on the ice until the refs are there and the scorekeeper has set themselves up in the scorer's box, which about 80% of the time means some five and change minutes of waiting around after the zamboni is done.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyduck posted:

Nope, the only branding on it is the Eagle text on the wrist roll and the palms. I believe these were made custom for the shop that I ordered them from. They fit like a traditional 4-roll.

Nice, yeah not traditional H34s and they are missing the canadian flag outside of the cuff. That being said the plastic inserts appear to be an upgrade/improvement and the palm actually looks a little tougher. Nice find!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Second ever league game tonight... we lost 6-2. On the plus side I was on for both our goals and I think indirectly assisted one of them by doing a decent end-to-end carry. Incidentally if I'm playing D and I think I have a chance to carry it through the neutral zone is that a dick thing to try? I feel like I have decent hands for the league I'm in because I played ball hockey for so long but I don't want to come off as a puck hog.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Go ahead and carry the puck if you can. Nobody should care and if they do, fuckem.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Go for it but just make sure after the rush you get back into position.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

Incidentally if I'm playing D and I think I have a chance to carry it through the neutral zone is that a dick thing to try? I feel like I have decent hands for the league I'm in because I played ball hockey for so long but I don't want to come off as a puck hog.

You need to make this decision from behind your own goal line. Any further up you just become dick.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Try it once and see how it goes. Just because you rush it up doesn't mean you can't make a sweet pass

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bootcha posted:

You need to make this decision from behind your own goal line. Any further up you just become dick.
What?

If you come out from behind the net looking for a pass and there's nothing, and there's space, absolutely skate into it.

If you find things closing off, regardless of whether it's before your blue line or inside the offensive zone, then make a pass or dump it in.

Or do this if literally nobody (LITERALLY NOBODY, C'MON COLUMBUS) is covering you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MgZfinYLM

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think it's just a weird joke or whatever

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

I think it's just a weird joke or whatever
Nah man recreational hockey is super serious what are you even talking about?

I can't stand the canucks but this is exquisitely :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also: I'm pretty sure but not sure that I assisted on one of our goals in My First For-Reals Game tonight and had a couple good steals and holy poo poo I think I really like playing center wtf is wrong with me that's way too much skating. The only reason I'm not certain it was an assist is because I was so god drat tired trying to get the puck. :sweatdrop: Faceoffs are fun and I never in a million years would have thought I'd be into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I don't know who any of the players are, but I love in the replay how #15 is flapping his arms at #6 like "What the flying gently caress are you doing?"