Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Wheat Loaf posted:

:stare: Sometimes I wonder if I'm being a sucker for making law school my target...

In all fairness there's no loving way the dude can afford all that with his level of popularity. I'm checking his videos now and he has thousands upon thousands of videos and a ton of them have maybe like 5,000 views at the absolute most, with most of them sitting at 1,000 views or so. Maybe he's getting cash due to the sheer volume he produces, the guy has over 34,000 loving videos but I can not imagine the guy can live high hog on that level of money.

Maybe someone with better knowledge of youtube views=cash could help but I have a feeling he's assuming he's gonna make a boatload of money and he's about to get into a whooooole lotta debt.

V----Just checked, he does have a Patreon which sits at $1,220.07 per month. Yeah, he's about to get himself into some money issues if he thinks he can afford a car and a home in a gated community with that.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OldTennisCourt posted:

In all fairness there's no loving way the dude can afford for all that with his level of popularity. I'm checking his videos now and he has thousands upon thousands of videos and a ton of them have maybe like 5,000 views at the absolute most, with most of them sitting at 1,000 views or so. Maybe he's getting cash due to the sheer volume he produces, the guy has over 34,000 loving videos but I can not imagine the guy can live high hog on that level of money.

Maybe someone with better knowledge of youtube views=cash could help but I have a feeling he's assuming he's gonna make a boatload of money and he's about to get into a whooooole lotta debt.

The only way he's making any sort of money greater than pocket money is if he has a patreon with a lot of support. Or he met the Devil at the crossroads and sold his soul for an insane contract with Google that no mortal or fictional lawyer could otherwise ever negotiate.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And I think Patreon takes their cut of the money AFTER taxes so 1 thousand dollars in Patreon isn't actually very much but still too for some of these people.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
The thing about DSP is that his popularity has really shrunk from when he started, but yeah, he's kind of dumb.

Example, DSP knows nothing about water heaters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-uzSwKZeQ8

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Wheat Loaf posted:

:stare: Sometimes I wonder if I'm being a sucker for making law school my target...

As a practicing lawyer: yes, yes you are.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Wheat Loaf posted:

You should angle that towards being an actuary instead.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Linkara's current waistcoat look suits him much better than his old outfit.

Yes, he's still got the fedora, and fedoras are largely awful, but at least he acknowledges that he's rather dorky/nerdy, which puts him ahead of the :smug: "my fedora gives me class not swag" types.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Guy I know got his law degree/passed the bar, worked miserably for a year and then went back to school for computer science.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

OldMemes posted:

Linkara's current waistcoat look suits him much better than his old outfit.

Yes, he's still got the fedora, and fedoras are largely awful, but at least he acknowledges that he's rather dorky/nerdy, which puts him ahead of the :smug: "my fedora gives me class not swag" types.

Fedora with a suit looks good. Fedora with a t-shirt not so good.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Gianthogweed posted:

Fedora with a suit looks good if you are currently in the 1960s

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Women tend to pull the hat off slightly better than men. Because it's a woman's hat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Women tend to pull the hat off slightly better than men. Because it's a woman's hat.

Its a M'lady's hat now

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Calaveron posted:

And I think Patreon takes their cut of the money AFTER taxes so 1 thousand dollars in Patreon isn't actually very much but still too for some of these people.

That can't be right - there's no way Patreon is withholding taxes for creators, as convenient as that would be.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
A fedora looks good. On a good looking guy in a black and white film.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I never got to wear my vaguely fedora-shaped hat before Fedoramania set in. :(

Fake edit: these fedoras are pawns!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Doug continues to not know how movies work/can't fall back as the criticisms being part of the character/reusing jokes from 6 years ago.
http://channelawesome.com/nostalgia-critic-real-thoughts-on-mortal-kombat/
"If you watched an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon without the gore, would it be as good." Yeah, duh. It's not like it was meant to be an excessive parody of Tom and Jerry or something. It's not like you haven't professed your love for Tom and Jerry in the past. It's also not like Itchy and Scratchy ISN'T A REAL loving SHOW.
Also, saying that gore is crucial to Mortal Kombat's appeal is inherently wrong, and there's an entire generation of kids who grew up with Super Nintendos that can attest to that.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Also, saying that gore is crucial to Mortal Kombat's appeal is inherently wrong, and there's an entire generation of kids who grew up with Super Nintendos that can attest to that.

Really? Cause it was the main reason I wanted to play it as a youngin'.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Beefstew posted:

Doug continues to not know how movies work/can't fall back as the criticisms being part of the character/reusing jokes from 6 years ago.
http://channelawesome.com/nostalgia-critic-real-thoughts-on-mortal-kombat/
"If you watched an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon without the gore, would it be as good." Yeah, duh. It's not like it was meant to be an excessive parody of Tom and Jerry or something. It's not like you haven't professed your love for Tom and Jerry in the past. It's also not like Itchy and Scratchy ISN'T A REAL loving SHOW.

lmao

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Beefstew posted:

This is a very inaccurate statement.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
The first "Mortal Kombat" stood out because of gore and nothing else. The controversy surrounding the gore and outraged parents made kids want to play it in a "gently caress you dad!" kind of way. It's really not considered a very good game either. It just had this gimmick that made it stand out from "Street Fighter II" which was the only other successful arcade fighting game of the time.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Beefstew posted:

Only because they didn't have a Genesis and couldn't plug in the blood code, you dummy :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My mom only allowed me to play Mortal Kombat 2 and I could only use the friendship finisher :nyoron:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mortal Kombat was not a great game and had bullshit AI. It was very much built on the back of gratuitous violence but thankfully with 9 & X they seem to have gotten much better mechanics wise.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Seriously I love MK but the original games were absolute dogshit and were 100% sold on 'haha I punched his head off and his spine came out too woah'.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Benny the Snake posted:

Only because they didn't have a Genesis and couldn't plug in the blood code, you dummy :colbert:

Not mention that Nintendo caved and put blood in by Mortal Kombat II.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I haven't even watched their video but here's Spoony and April talking about Avengers 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GVDcO1GFIw

Oh hey less than three minutes in and he's being an rear end in a top hat to the audience. Thanks, Noah.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Fifteen minutes in. Not a mention of the actual film. This feels like a parody honestly.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

The first "Mortal Kombat" stood out because of gore and nothing else. The controversy surrounding the gore and outraged parents made kids want to play it in a "gently caress you dad!" kind of way. It's really not considered a very good game either. It just had this gimmick that made it stand out from "Street Fighter II" which was the only other successful arcade fighting game of the time.

The problem's that the movie was for those kids going "gently caress you, dad!" It's not for two grown men, and those kids wouldn't have been able to see a splatter film version of Mortal Kombat.

It's also that what works in cartoons or old videogames doesn't necessarily work in live-action, but I don't expect Doug to understand that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey the first video of Shakespeare Month is out. It's about West Side Story.

http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/west-side-story-and-romeo-and-juliet-shakespeare-month-the-second-7192965

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I studied West Side Story for my music A-level (though my first exposure to its music was an arrangement of "Mambo" for the jazz orchestra I was in at the time; one of those 240 bpm numbers, which made it an absolute monster to play at the time, even if I could probably manage it now) and I liked it. I will look forward to watching the video when I'm home from a) work and b) casting my vote. :D

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Tracula posted:

I haven't even watched their video but here's Spoony and April talking about Avengers 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GVDcO1GFIw

Oh hey less than three minutes in and he's being an rear end in a top hat to the audience. Thanks, Noah.

I'm listening to it now, and I don't understand how he's an rear end in a top hat in that time period.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The whole point of Itchy and Scratchy is that it isn't good at all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know Gundam isn't a big topic amongst internet crtics, but does anyone know if any critics have reviewed the OVA for Gundam the Origin? I watched the first episode and I was pretty impressed, overall, but few people seem to want to talk about it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm listening to it now, and I don't understand how he's an rear end in a top hat in that time period.

There seems to be a degree of snark towards people who are actually excited for the new Star Wars although I might have misread that a bit when he was talking.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Spoony will not stand for people being happy about things.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just go into his videos expecting him to poo poo on people, especially if there's a large, positive public reaction to something. According to Spoony his is the correct and enlightened opinion. Once you realize that you will be at peace, like accepting that the doomsayers with the cardboard signs shouting about the end of the world have a few screws loose.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I studied West Side Story for my music A-level (though my first exposure to its music was an arrangement of "Mambo" for the jazz orchestra I was in at the time; one of those 240 bpm numbers, which made it an absolute monster to play at the time, even if I could probably manage it now) and I liked it. I will look forward to watching the video when I'm home from a) work and b) casting my vote. :D

gently caress I love West Side Story so much. I really need to see a live performance of it sometime.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I've only seen West Side Story live (community production) - haven't seen the movie. What can I say - I haven't seen a lot of musicals for some reason.
Excellent video though, Kyle.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doug Walker you oval office Count Duckula is amazing and perfect put that gun in your mouth and pull the trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Gladney posted:

Doug Walker you oval office Count Duckula is amazing and perfect put that gun in your mouth and pull the trigger

Wait, what? How can you not like Count Duckula? :psyduck:

Next he'll be saying he doesn't like The Trap Door.

BERK! FEED ME!

• Locked thread