Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Jonked posted:

Anybody interested in doing a Theros block rotisserie draft on XMage? I've got a real hankering to try it out and want to see if there's enough interest. Probably run it as week 1 (or however long) drafting, week 2 swiss unless people have strong feelings otherwise.

I'd be up for it.

Also not really sure which would be more first pick worthy, Nykthos or Courser of Kruphix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
If tallowwisp isn't in mm2 it's bullshit

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
lovely, worthless mythic rares are what would have really pissed me off (I opened a Ryusei in MMA) and every Mythic spoiled so far is a greater than $15 card.

born on a buy you posted:

I'm hoping for Auriok Champion. Its a little bit fringey, but token-type decks like the card and its never been reprinted. They'd have to change the art though, unless they really wanted to reprint card depicting a lady in a bikini trying to make a scary pose.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 6, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

born on a buy you posted:

draft ghost dad.dec :iia:

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
http://hitbox.tv/marchhare

Streaming some tempest remastered drafts until I get sick of it.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I will also be mad if Auriok Champion isn't in, that drat card is $19 and only kinda goes in two Tier 2+ Modern decks.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Boco_T posted:

I will also be mad if Auriok Champion isn't in, that drat card is $19 and only kinda goes in two Tier 2+ Modern decks.

The B/W Tokens list that got played at PT FRF didn't even play auriok champion though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The March Hare posted:

http://hitbox.tv/marchhare

Streaming some tempest remastered drafts until I get sick of it.

are you streaming from underwater or in a tornado

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So, this is interesting,

Apparently CFB bought some original card artwork form somebody without bothering/caring/thinking to do any provenance checking. Turns out the art had been stolen. Original owner sees it for sale on CFB and asks for it back and they refuse. Possibly. A lot of it has been deleted from FB and elsewhere so it's not entirely clear atm.

The point is though that the original owner is not getting it back it seems. I can really see this blowing up in CFB's face and also alienating a lot of artists. We'll see if this makes any difference to artist participation at GP vegas...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So, this is interesting,

Apparently CFB bought some original card artwork form somebody without bothering/caring/thinking to do any provenance checking. Turns out the art had been stolen. Original owner sees it for sale on CFB and asks for it back and they refuse. Possibly. A lot of it has been deleted from FB and elsewhere so it's not entirely clear atm.

The point is though that the original owner is not getting it back it seems. I can really see this blowing up in CFB's face and also alienating a lot of artists. We'll see if this makes any difference to artist participation at GP vegas...

I like this image given the context.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

Heh, got to love when your only like is from a thief.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Zoness posted:

That was bonfire guy right?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

There is a thread on reddit about it. TSG showed up because someone commented about this, it got funny quickly.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
As was said when this Weber thing was brought up yesterday, CFB hasn't necessarily "refuse" to give it back. They probably just said something like, "We're gonna look into it and then we'll get back to you," which might sound like "gently caress off" to an angry person, even though its not - its them covering their asses on something that might turn into a legal thing.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

qbert posted:

Okay from the image you posted, Amy Weber is actually the artist who drew the Magic artwork for those cards. So is she claiming Wizards stole her art and printed it onto those cards?

I don't see how that's CFB's fault.

No, she is talking about the fact that the original artwork is sitting in their offices.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 6, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So, this is interesting,

Okay from the image you posted, Amy Weber is actually the artist who drew the Magic artwork for those cards. So is she claiming Wizards stole her art and printed it onto those cards?

Or wait, does CFB own like the original print of that artwork? I didn't even know you could buy that stuff.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

qbert posted:

Or wait, does CFB own like the original print of that artwork? I didn't even know you could buy that stuff.

It's this one. I don't think she's mad because CFB has a shitload of Crystal Rods in their singles inventory.

Angry Grimace posted:

As was said when this Weber thing was brought up yesterday, CFB didn't necessarily "refuse" to give it back as she orignally claimed. They probably just said something like, "We're gonna look into it and then we'll get back to you," which might sound like "gently caress off" to an angry person, even though its not - its them covering their asses on something that might turn into a legal thing.

They could have said something like "We'll look into it and if we confirm that the artwork was stolen, we'll certainly return it to its rightful owner." That's clear about their need to investigate for themselves, while at the same time reassuring that they'll do the right thing and that it's not a gently caress off.

That's from a communication and diplomacy perspective, of course. I have no idea whether it would be a bad idea for some legal reason.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

It's this one. I don't think she's mad because CFB has a shitload of Crystal Rods in their singles inventory.

They could have said something like "We'll look into it and if we confirm that the artwork was stolen, we'll certainly return it to its rightful owner." That's clear about their need to investigate for themselves, while at the same time reassuring that they'll do the right thing and that it's not a gently caress off.

That's from a communication and diplomacy perspective, of course. I have no idea whether it would be a bad idea for some legal reason.
If I were the lawyer for CFB, I would almost certainly advise them to say nothing. The way I see it, its a bit like being on the scene of a minor accident where you might be at fault: you don't say poo poo until you talk to your insurance carrier/lawyer. It seems like you're unapologetic for an accident that you may have caused, but its just covering your rear end.

To explain a little bit more (legal mumbo jumbo ahead) about how CFB might want to wait on it - if you buy stolen property, you don't get greater title to it than the person that sold it to you. A thief has no title to property at all, so assuming its actually stolen, Weber *should* be able to get it back and CFB would have to go after the guy they bought it from. But there are always corner cases, e.g. Weber claims its "stolen" but there was actually a legitimate transaction between Weber and the "thief"and it went wrong for whatever reason. In that case, the "thief" who sold it to CFB would have "voidable" title, and that person in some cases (and jurisdictions) actually can transfer it legally to a third buyer. But see, from Weber's perspective, if she didn't get paid, she thinks the artwork is "stolen" and says as much.

As for their reputation, a glance at the thread last night showed a ton of people blindly taking CFB's side anyways. I think this is because a lot of people believe that LSV owns Channel Fireball, as opposed to just being a guy who works there.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 6, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

I don't think she's mad because CFB has a shitload of Crystal Rods in their singles inventory.
Can it be this instead? It's way more fun to imagine.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Interesting - it really ISN'T Agent of Bolas. Makes sense since artifacts is the U/W theme:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 6, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Interesting - it really ISN'T Agent of Bolas. Makes sense since artifacts is the U/W theme:

Not that I doubt, but it would be nice to also quote sources. I like to read the articles.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Not that I doubt, but it would be nice to also quote sources. I like to read the articles.

The source article is not in English.

http://www.svenskamagic.com/articles/index.php?ID=1821

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Thanks! Google Translate to the rescue!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Was hoping for consecrated sphinx but Tezz is just as good.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Lets Pickle posted:

Was hoping for consecrated sphinx but Tezz is just as good.

There's no reason they can't print it as a rare :kheldragar:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

CFB just made a statement about the stolen artwork.

quote:

In October of last year, ChannelFireball purchased the original artwork for Crystal Rod and Argothian Treefolk. To confirm their authenticity, we reached out to the artist, Amy Weber. At that time Amy claimed the artwork was stolen. Following that conversation, Amy’s attorney contacted us asking that we return the artwork. We replied that we were happy to return the artwork if Amy could provide reasonable proof that it was stolen (police report, insurance claim, registration of the art as stolen, etc.). To date, no such reasonable proof has been offered. As a sign of good faith, we declined to sell the artwork until the matter was resolved.
At this time, with our current knowledge of the situation, and our position within the Magic community, we feel the right thing to do is turn the artwork over to the proper authorities. We have already contacted the Spokane Police Department and are making arrangements to turn the artwork over to them early next week. We thank everyone for their understanding and patience as we work to resolve this matter.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

What a surprise- CFB didn't refuse to return knowingly stolen artwork, the artist couldn't actually provide any evidence (so far). If anyone looks unprofessional here, it's the artist for trying to use the court of public opinion rather than legitimate avenues. Did they not file a stolen property report at all?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sarmhan posted:

What a surprise- CFB didn't refuse to return knowingly stolen artwork, the artist couldn't actually provide any evidence (so far). If anyone looks unprofessional here, it's the artist for trying to use the court of public opinion rather than legitimate avenues. Did they not file a stolen property report at all?

What is a surprise is that CFB would buy art and then confirm its authenticity after. Something just seems fishy.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Jonked posted:

Anybody interested in doing a Theros block rotisserie draft on XMage? I've got a real hankering to try it out and want to see if there's enough interest. Probably run it as week 1 (or however long) drafting, week 2 swiss unless people have strong feelings otherwise.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I would be all kinds of down for this.

Rimusutera posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty sweet.

Ramos posted:

I'd be up for it.

Also not really sure which would be more first pick worthy, Nykthos or Courser of Kruphix.

Well, that's at least the bare minimum to run it, so I guess we're doing this. If anybody else is interested, we've got four spots open. The drafting will start when we got 8 people or at 8pm EST

If you're interested, head on over to this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718443

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

What is a surprise is that CFB would buy art and then confirm its authenticity after. Something just seems fishy.

Its not really fishy at all. I doubt the art for Crystal Rod was terribly expensive to begin with and CFB isn't an art dealer or something. If some regular comes in with it and says he'll sell it for 200 bucks or something, maybe they buy it and then ask Amy about it later. Its only unusual if you assume it was very expensive to begin with or that whoever at CFB bought it had a ton of experience with buying art.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 6, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not really fishy at all. I doubt the art for Crystal Rod was terribly expensive to begin with and CFB isn't an art dealer or something.

If it wasn't expensive why confirm its authenticity? Didn't they buy the art to resell it? Doesn't that kind of make them an art dealer of sorts?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if they just buy any art that gets brought to them at a reasonable price (due to its inherent rarity), then check with artists to make sure it's legit. There wasn't great reason to think it was stolen, but you definitely don't want missing artwork to walk back out the door, either.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

If it wasn't expensive why confirm its authenticity? Didn't they buy the art to resell it? Doesn't that kind of make them an art dealer of sorts?

Because you can sell something like that for more to a MTG fan if you confirm its real and shooting Amy Weber an email takes all of 30 seconds? Its not fishy unless you construct it in a way that makes it sound like CFB is fencing art.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Niton posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if they just buy any art that gets brought to them at a reasonable price (due to its inherent rarity), then check with artists to make sure it's legit. There wasn't great reason to think it was stolen, but you definitely don't want missing artwork to walk back out the door, either.

So inexpensive art work gets bought, they try to confirm it, they are told its stolen, and don't send it back to the artist because....?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It seems like Weber has a valid point about CFB not doing enough due dilegence, but as Grimace says the art scene isn't close to their primary business and I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they've learned that particular lesson. The two different accounts of the process differ (at least insofar as they elide bits of information, like Weber not mentioning that CFB reached out to her initially) but I guess when you're doing PR speak you gotta make the other folks look bad and yourselves look good.

It sounds like it's all going to be ethically resolved at this point, at least as far as CFB's responsibility is concerned, so that's nice. I wonder what she'll have to do to get the pieces from the police. I assume she might end up needing to provide the same sort of information that CFB asked for in the first place, which would make the whole drama flare-up pretty silly on her part.

Sickening posted:

So inexpensive art work gets bought, they try to confirm it, they are told its stolen, and don't send it back to the artist because....?

Assuming we can believe their statement, they asked for a pretty basic level of evidence that the artwork was stolen, and never got it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lol if you think any magic dealer or shop cares about provenance. Magic cards are the easiest thing in the world to fence, why start now?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

Because they wanted proof that it was, in fact, stolen, before shipping it out? That's not an unreasonable request, especially in the wake of Weber's facebook post talking about reporting it to Interpol. CFB doesn't have a legal (or even ethical) requirement to give her the artwork back without the tiniest bit of proof.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I can't wait until they do a show inspired by this on Law & Order: MTG.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

I assume she might end up needing to provide the same sort of information that CFB asked for in the first place, which would make the whole drama flare-up pretty silly on her part.

Apart from how it appears to have worked and CFB will no longer be in possession of the piece. The sequence of events makes a whole lot of sense if she was telling the truth and CFB's pr statement is just a pr statement.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

It seems like Weber has a valid point about CFB not doing enough due dilegence, but as Grimace says the art scene isn't close to their primary business and I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say they've learned that particular lesson. The two different accounts of the process differ (at least insofar as they elide bits of information, like Weber not mentioning that CFB reached out to her initially) but I guess when you're doing PR speak you gotta make the other folks look bad and yourselves look good.

It sounds like it's all going to be ethically resolved at this point, at least as far as CFB's responsibility is concerned, so that's nice. I wonder what she'll have to do to get the pieces from the police. I assume she might end up needing to provide the same sort of information that CFB asked for in the first place, which would make the whole drama flare-up pretty silly on her part.

Assuming we can believe their statement, they asked for a pretty basic level of evidence that the artwork was stolen, and never got it.

My guess is that they asked for some kind of proof it was stolen from her, but then never heard from her again and then forgot about it until she started posting about it on Reddit/etc. Its not beyond the realm of possibility that, for example, she considered it "stolen" because someone bought it off her with a bounced check or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

UberJew posted:

Apart from how it appears to have worked and CFB will no longer be in possession of the piece. The sequence of events makes a whole lot of sense if she was telling the truth and CFB's pr statement is just a pr statement.

Well, I assumed she (reasonably) wanted her stolen items back, and not just transferred from CFB to the police. What I was saying is that I'm assuming the police, too, will require some evidence, which means that even though she's pressured CFB to turn them over to the police, she hasn't actually gotten closer to having them back than if she'd just furnished CFB with the evidence in the first place.

This is assuming that CFB isn't lying, but that would be pretty silly given how easy it'd be to catch them in the lie by, e.g., showing legal correspondence.

• Locked thread