Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Finally some talk of timing from AMD. They're claiming the new GPUs will launch this quarter.

http://anandtech.com/show/9235/amd-to-launch-new-desktop-gpu-this-quarter-q215-with-hbm

Hopefully they manage to get them out and deliver a competitive product, I like nVidia but monopolies aren't good for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

In case you missed it, the Oculus Rift was announced to launch no earlier than Q1 2016 so please don't buy any hardware to 'prepare' for it. No specs or reqs afaik.

Yeah, I wasn't really planning on getting a new card until it or the Vive were out, but that bundle is just really good. After sleeping on it and waking up to that Oculus announcement this morning I realized I should probably just wait. My 770 runs pretty much everything on the DK2 just fine now anyway for the most part. I like my cards to last me at least a couple years, and if I got a 970 now, I'd probably want to upgrade Q1 2016 so it really would be a waste of money for me. Thanks for all the help/info guys.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
At the very least, the price of the 290 will drop and I'll be getting myself another graphics card on the cheap.

And maybe a new PSU. 750W might not cut two 290s and an i7-3820.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kazinsal posted:

And maybe a new PSU. 750W might not cut two 290s and an i7-3820.

750w is barely enough for two 970s and an i7-4870K. I hit 713 watts at peak from the wall in synthetics according to Corsair Link, my Killawatt says 720. Real world gaming I usually float around 630 from the wall if I'm maxing things out, but I'm also not overclocking anything at the moment. I'm pretty sure the 290s guzzle power compared to 970s, so something in the 850+ watt range is probably a good idea to run two of those.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

wolrah posted:

750w is barely enough for two 970s and an i7-4870K. I hit 713 watts at peak from the wall in synthetics according to Corsair Link, my Killawatt says 720. Real world gaming I usually float around 630 from the wall if I'm maxing things out, but I'm also not overclocking anything at the moment. I'm pretty sure the 290s guzzle power compared to 970s, so something in the 850+ watt range is probably a good idea to run two of those.

That seems, uh, realllly high especially if you're not overclocking.

e: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9059/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review/16
That's an X-79 system running an i7-4960X at 4.2 ghz, not a low power chip, and it has 980 SLI not even cracking 500 watts under furmark. A 295X2 is brushing 700 though heh.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 6, 2015

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Poetic Justice posted:

Yeah, I wasn't really planning on getting a new card until it or the Vive were out, but that bundle is just really good. After sleeping on it and waking up to that Oculus announcement this morning I realized I should probably just wait. My 770 runs pretty much everything on the DK2 just fine now anyway for the most part. I like my cards to last me at least a couple years, and if I got a 970 now, I'd probably want to upgrade Q1 2016 so it really would be a waste of money for me. Thanks for all the help/info guys.

Same here but with the 780. Thanks guys for telling us about the Announcement, wouldn't ever found out without SA honestly

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gwaihir posted:

That seems, uh, realllly high especially if you're not overclocking.

I don't have the killawatt hooked up anymore, but right now I'm reading at 100 watts idle according to the power supply. Firing up Prime95 in the "max power" mode gets me up to 270, EVGA OC Scanner running the "Fuzzy E" alone does 550-ish, with CPU burn enabled to six threads it peaked at 694 watts. Using any more threads on the CPU stress thing caused the GPU test to start stuttering (as obviously the core it was using was now being shared with a stress test) and overall power consumption would drop.

I pulled a dying hard drive out since the last test so that probably explains not passing 700.

Like I said it's only synthetics that get it that high. Most games can't max this system out on both CPU and GPU so they tend to hover more in the high 500 watt range if using both GPUs heavily

edit: I guess it might be worth noting that my GPUs are the second tier of factory overclock from my vendor, so while I haven't modified the clock speed myself they are running faster than reference. I also have three hard drives installed along with a SSD where Anandtech's test was with only a newer SSD.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 6, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
That seems high to me as well but, not by too much. Must just be the CPU I'm not used to.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Official specs for the mid-range R9 300 cards are out. Confirms that AMD are going to market ancient GCN 1.0 parts with no Freesync, TrueAudio or LiquidVR support as "new" cards :suicide:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

Official specs for the mid-range R9 300 cards are out. Confirms that AMD are going to market ancient GCN 1.0 parts with no Freesync, TrueAudio or LiquidVR support as "new" cards :suicide:

lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

repiv posted:

What the heck is going on here? Maybe this is going to be like the OEM only 8xxx generation and the real HBM-bearing next-gen will be R9-4xx series?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The 380 looks exactly like a 280 would look if it existed, halfway between a 270X and a 290.

It seriously looks like they just chose random numbers and checkboxes for these cards. The 370 has a ton of features marked as no that the 360 has a yes for, the clockspeed of the cards go down as you go to the higher models. I cannot make sense of these cards at all. The 370 has higher memory bandwidth than the 370, but lower Stream Processing Units.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Twerk from Home posted:

What the heck is going on here? Maybe this is going to be like the OEM only 8xxx generation and the real HBM-bearing next-gen will be R9-4xx series?

Well I didnt see the 390 in there at all which is what I thought was the only card with HBM on it. The specs, in general, are disheartening though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I think they figured eh, still supports the new APIs, it'll fly with most gamers anyways

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Rebrands ahoy!

http://wccftech.com/amd-launches-radeon-r9-380-radeon-r9-370-radeon-r9-360-oems-based-tonga-pitcairn-bonaire/

Edit:
R9 380 - Tonga
R9 370 - Pitcairn
R9 360 - Bonaire

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 6, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The 380 is just a double VRAM 285 rebrand, perfect to compete with all those 4GB GTX960s :cool:

The 370 on there is a 7850 rebrand again for Christ's sake.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Pretty low effort all around, at least I don't feel any regrets about getting my 970. :v:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
This seems rather surreal, :wtc:. That's a fairly massive performance difference between top and secondary cards, and I really want to call bullshit. That's not even beating an R9 280, holy poo poo.

No, those numbers and what info we have have to bullshit because that's insane.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
This is definitely an 8xxx style OEM line thing. Why the hell AMD would do that though, I'm not sure. Seems easier to have OEMs sell real cards and not have to support *another* line of rebrands.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
So the only new card is the 390?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, nobody get a 370. Problem solved.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
I don't think we'll know till Computex next month. These are OEM cards and for all we know the R9 4xx series is next.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Repackage lovely cards we can't seem to get rid of as OEM preinstalls actually sounds smart now that I think on it. If we're speaking strictly OEM, and Dell, HP, IBM, etal. have already bought all these cards, then AMD just got rid of all it's stock it wasn't selling.

Maybe AMD is just going to top-down the 390s and bin them so worse performers end up as the lower end (ex: R9 370 2GB HBM)? I'd still hop to the RX 400 series because I wouldn't want to be associated with 300 series if this is what they're pulling. It'd be like rebranding a PCX5950 as an 8600 GT.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Tanreall posted:

I don't think we'll know till Computex next month. These are OEM cards and for all we know the R9 4xx series is next.

I think what's more likely is that the retail cards are going to have an X nomenclature at the end, something that these specs are conspicuously lacking.

Then again, it's not like any of us care about anything other than HBM-enabled parts' performance numbers, right?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Did something change about HBM? I thought that was squarely for 390x's

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think what's more likely is that the retail cards are going to have an X nomenclature at the end, something that these specs are conspicuously lacking.

Then again, it's not like any of us care about anything other than HBM-enabled parts' performance numbers, right?

Agreed, I just wish they could jam HBM into everything faster.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think 400 series would be more likely, if the OEMs are going to be this terrible I'm not sure I would want my consumer line to be associated with them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HBM is neat and all, but it all comes down to what price point they can hit (taking into account inflated prices if HBM availability and interposer yields are poor).

If all they can manage in the $300-400 price range is sharpie-ing a "3" over the "2" on existing cards and hoping nobody notices, their marketshare freefall isn't going to stop :ohdear:

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 6, 2015

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
AMD should just create *AMDcoins that you can mine only using AMD cards and redeemable only for AMD products.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

repiv posted:

HBM is neat and all, but it all comes down to what price point they can hit (taking into account inflated prices if HBM availability and interposer yields are poor).

If all they can manage in the $300-400 price range is sharpie-ing a "3" over the "2" on existing cards and hoping nobody notices, their marketshare freefall isn't going to stop :ohdear:

None of the OEM cards listed have HBM nor are they $300-400 dollar cards

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Is there any idea when Pascal is going to come out next year? Is it going to be early next year or late next year?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tanreall posted:

None of the OEM cards listed have HBM nor are they $300-400 dollar cards

I know, I wasn't referring to the OEM cards. Maybe they'll pull an amazing new core architecture out of nowhere but all signs are pointing to HBM being their only killer feature, so getting HBM parts to a price where people will actually consider them instead of a 970 is critical.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That's just sad to watch.
I guess they're saving the 'good' stuff (Hawaii and Tahiti) for the R9 400 rebrands.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

repiv posted:

I know, I wasn't referring to the OEM cards. Maybe they'll pull an amazing new core architecture out of nowhere but all signs are pointing to HBM being their only killer feature, so getting HBM parts to a price where people will actually consider them instead of a 970 is critical.

Haven't see anything to indicate that AMD has any new silicon ready to go other than the R9 390/X cards. Everything else will be rebadges and nVidia will continue to eat its lunch in the low to mid range as the overwhelming majority of GPU owners spend 150-250 dollars on a GPU. The GTX 970 at 329 selling as well as it did was an anomaly, it was just that much better than everything else in price/performance at release people convinced themselves to spend extra when they would have usually waited for the GTX 960, the 660 and 760 were by far nVidia's most popular GPU's the last couple gens.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is there anything to suggest that they are OEM cards other than them being bad? They're on the same page as the 200 series consumer cards and I'm not seeing OEM mentioned anywhere.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

BurritoJustice posted:

Is there anything to suggest that they are OEM cards other than them being bad? They're on the same page as the 200 series consumer cards and I'm not seeing OEM mentioned anywhere.

The word "OEM" is in the URL for the AMD page.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The GTX 970 at 329 selling as well as it did was an anomaly, it was just that much better than everything else in price/performance at release people convinced themselves to spend extra when they would have usually waited for the GTX 960, the 660 and 760 were by far nVidia's most popular GPU's the last couple gens.

The 970 is also the lowest sane 4GB card, and modern console ports/co-develops are pushing on VRAM harder these days. Plus the sweet Witcher bundle pushing the effective 970 price to around $275, and Intel not having new CPUs worth spending a ton on creating more budget room. NVIDIA sold a really unreasonable number of 970s.

And if this analysis of AMD's lineup is correct, they're going to continue to.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Subjunctive posted:

The 970 is also the lowest sane 4GB card, and modern console ports/co-develops are pushing on VRAM harder these days. Plus the sweet Witcher bundle pushing the effective 970 price to around $275, and Intel not having new CPUs worth spending a ton on creating more budget room. NVIDIA sold a really unreasonable number of 970s.

And if this analysis of AMD's lineup is correct, they're going to continue to.

Hopefully the HBM 390/390X parts are able to proof out the tech for the the 2nd gen of 280/285, once prices come down some, and AMD is able to get higher yields on the new FINFET process.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
doom gloom theyre already 9 months late gloom gloom gloom and this is what we get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cinara posted:

The 380 looks exactly like a 280 would look if it existed, halfway between a 270X and a 290.

It seriously looks like they just chose random numbers and checkboxes for these cards. The 370 has a ton of features marked as no that the 360 has a yes for, the clockspeed of the cards go down as you go to the higher models. I cannot make sense of these cards at all. The 370 has higher memory bandwidth than the 370, but lower Stream Processing Units.

Given that it's got 1792 stream processors and a larger feature set, the 380 is probably a rebranded R9 285. The 370 looks like maybe a souped up 7850 (:what:), that would explain the lack of features. The 360 looks like a R9 260X - matches the core count and B/W, and it's a GCN 1.1 processor so features are in between the 285 (GCN 1.2) and the 7850 (GCN 1.0).

e: Yup, that sounds right then! So like, warmed over crap.

I expected a rebrand of the 290X as the 380 at least. It's kinda the GTX 750ti of the R200 lineup, architecture improvements but lower performance than the real high end cards. Weird thing to be putting near the top of your launch lineup.

Wonder if they'll try to call the 290X a "385" or something stupid like that. Guess they're betting the farm on the 390X/395X2, because you could buy everything else in the lineup right now if you wanted to. Looks like they're giving up on competing on performance except in the flagship market for now. Which might make some sense if they're expecting supply problems on HBM - flagship cards are higher margin and they can always release cut-down processors down the road when they have better availability of HBM. Having a 3 year old card in their launch lineup is pretty embarrassing, though, especially when they so badly need to refresh their lineup.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 7, 2015