Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

"i voted for ukip"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

My Imaginary GF posted:

'Joe' is an acceptable short-form for 'Josephine'

yeah though supposedly her actual name was joseph

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

unfortunately valve kind of ruined the name gladys

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

they're doing an election tomorrow, right?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

i could def join them for a bit of afternoon drinking.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol the uk is so bad

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's like a cross of George foreman Keanu reeves and Eric spoelestra

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

hey so i know you guys dont have "a constitution" or "laws" or whatever, but if labour formed a non-coalition minority government, what would the effect be of the fixed election date law the tories passed? would it be negated with a vote of no confidence in the queen's speech thing you mentioned or whatever

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

euphronius posted:

It's like a cross of George foreman Keanu reeves and Eric spoelestra

lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
didn't charlie brooker call him "a human sigh"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

lol would play this game

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh no a whole month!!!!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

hey so i know you guys dont have "a constitution" or "laws" or whatever, but if labour formed a non-coalition minority government, what would the effect be of the fixed election date law the tories passed? would it be negated with a vote of no confidence in the queen's speech thing you mentioned or whatever

The Fixed Term Parliament Act would stand unless it was repealed. The only advantage Labour would lose would be the ability to dissolve parliament and move for elections when they don't have support of 2/3rds of the house for the new elections, potentially stopping them from calling new elections when polls swing to their favour (the act was pushed through as a condition of the Tory/LibDem coalition deal to assure the Lib Dems the Tories wouldn't push them under the bus if polling made it clear they could go it alone).

Of course Ed could just scrap the FTPA because parliament can not bind future parliaments.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

a friend of mine met d miliband the other week and said he kind of just lounged everywhere in the office, on desks, on drawers, against walls, with other leg up on something bent at the knee

that and humming a lot to himself

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Berke Negri posted:

a friend of mine met d miliband the other week and said he kind of just lounged everywhere in the office, on desks, on drawers, against walls, with other leg up on something bent at the knee

that and humming a lot to himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
is the uk seriously so hard up for politicians that they just anybody who shows up be a party figurehead

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
uh well we got a really damp shapeless guy who talks like a total prick, another guy who was raised in the middle of the uncanny valley, and some guy we found down at the bus station that just rambles all the time about pakis. good poo poo, lets have an election.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

paranoid randroid posted:

is the uk seriously so hard up for politicians that they just anybody who shows up be a party figurehead

yes

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jagchosis posted:

fixed-date elections sound like a motherfucking awesome idea. Here's to hoping it makes the UK into a two-party state like America, thus creating a stable democratic government.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

oh, doris, that is another one

but for like, a redhead with brown eyebrows

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Murdoch needs to be kicked in the balls - repeatedly

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

no

how he got elected leader of his party is hilarious.

His brother was favourite to win and is much more charismatic. And then his brother ran against him at the last second.

Labour party leader elections are tripartite, with general members, parliamentary members, and trades unions represented.

Because the unions didn't like his brother that much they knifed him at the last second and installed Ed.

Hilarious.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

#JeSuisEd

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

fixed-date elections sound like a motherfucking awesome idea. Here's to hoping it makes the UK into a two-party state like America, thus creating a stable democratic government.

rofl

motherfucker we invented that poo poo

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
you shouldn't be able to call elections every time you have the chance to pounce on an opponents' political weakness and gain more seats, you should have fixed-date elections which lead to increased time spent campaigning as folks know when election day will be and can register in advance while lining up an ever-increasing amount of financing, thus forcing the UK to adopt a two-party system in America through free market competition

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Did you doxx zoux?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

really....

hmm

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

movable elections have historically been pretty good for democracy in the UK to be honest

they helped create popular politics

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Disinterested posted:

no

how he got elected leader of his party is hilarious.

His brother was favourite to win and is much more charismatic. And then his brother ran against him at the last second.

Labour party leader elections are tripartite, with general members, parliamentary members, and trades unions represented.

Because the unions didn't like his brother that much they knifed him at the last second and installed Ed.

Hilarious.

all your politicians look and act like public access television personalities, its bizarre

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Disinterested posted:

rofl

motherfucker we invented that poo poo

like anything invented by the brits, its been perfected in america

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

all your politicians look and act like public access television personalities, its bizarre

red dwarf is coming back

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

the relationship is the other way around and

not all of them in private

Ed is regarded as an uncharasmatic figure by any standard

the new wave enthusiasm for him is partly ironic

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

calling a snap election is a massive risk and parties err on the side of caution now a days because they are still largely linked in the popular consciousness with the chaos of the mid-70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Disinterested posted:

the relationship is the other way around and

not all of them in private

Ed is regarded as an uncharasmatic figure by any standard

the new wave enthusiasm for him is partly ironic

it's ironic enthusiasm that has tipped over into honest enthusiasm

Welcome to the new age

• Locked thread