Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

never trust an elf posted:

If I weren't phone postin I'd find pictures of this as it was being constructed (it's almost done) cause it looked like an armadillo skeleton sprouting wings
oh my god i remember passing this thing when i was in new york last summer. it was loving terrifying and i remember, upon first look, i thought it was some weird prop for a transformers movie then i found out it was supposed to be some sort of 9/11/ wartime peace monument and i gawked so hard.

ill see if i can find pictures of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
holy gently caress i found them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not even a monument, it's a train station.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GentlemanBrofro posted:

holy gently caress i found them

Pretty nice graphics in the new Killzone game

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Visisted the Barbican this weekend. Highly recommended. Brutalism done right: huge, consistent and full of greenery.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i studied architecture and regularly got criticised because my designs were too logical. if you didn't have a flowery concept behind your impractical piece of poo poo design you had to expect average marks lol. i hate architects

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

ASU is a cornucopia of dumb ideas.

Life Sciences B, which is some sort of Brutalist window slit nightmare.

It is attached to the Life Sciences tower, which is in fact not a parking garage.

The power station, which looks like some sort of Star Wars-rear end piece of poo poo.

ISTB-1, which looks like a factory combined with a triangle .

Hayden Stacks, which is a library with a dry moat and seems to be a fortress.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KiteAuraan posted:

ASU is a cornucopia of dumb ideas.

Life Sciences B, which is some sort of Brutalist window slit nightmare.

It is attached to the Life Sciences tower, which is in fact not a parking garage.

The power station, which looks like some sort of Star Wars-rear end piece of poo poo.

ISTB-1, which looks like a factory combined with a triangle .

Hayden Stacks, which is a library with a dry moat and seems to be a fortress.

I like all of these, except for the pseudo-garage, a lot.

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.

strap on revenge posted:

i studied architecture and regularly got criticised because my designs were too logical. if you didn't have a flowery concept behind your impractical piece of poo poo design you had to expect average marks lol. i hate architects

Still have any of your designs?
Post 'em and let the thread decide if they're architectural failures or not.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gyra_Solune posted:

...now I legit wonder if the South has a thing for random-rear end pyramids because I work within walking distance of this

amusingly about six years ago these people built a huge amusement park back around the suburbs, which was then sold and rebranded a year later, and then closed down after another year and now all the stuff is sold off, Good Job

in gurnee, Il there's a horrendous house in similar faux egyptian style and it's a hideous mess. its right next to a bunch of subdivisions on the outskirts of the waukeegan area

the lot is huge. seriously huge. none of the pictures truly convey the barren emptiness of the lot cause the house is 600 feet away from the gate. it's completely flat gravel with a few obelisks sticking out and the house itself isn't particularly large so it's hardly visible from the street. i didn't know there was a lake around the house cause you can't see it from the gate but i guess the owner really wanted a moat

even though it appears to have been built as a big gently caress you to everyone around it, and the long driveway and closed gate make it seem like the owner wanted maximum distance between him and the outside world - he gives tours for money and has a sign posted outside the gate.

it constantly looks in the same state of disrepair that decaying tourist attractions on route 66 have except i think it's less than 20 years old. please note the massive pile of gravel to cover up the grass attempting to grow and the cracking and sun bleached stencils on the fence

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 6, 2015

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
also not really a failure or anything but i live in springfield missouri and the skyline here is loving hilarious. there's tons of flat and cheap land around here so there aren't many tall buildings, except for these three

from the left, a dorm building built in the 70s that is filled with middle eastern exchange students, the big rear end black monolith named after and built by Our Local Patriarch, and probably the only "high rise" apartment in a 600 mile radius. no, that's not an office building, that's an apartment.

*throws bone into air*

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 6, 2015

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

nigga crab pollock posted:

in gurnee, Il there's a horrendous house in similar faux egyptian style and it's a hideous mess. its right next to a bunch of subdivisions on the outskirts of the waukeegan area

the lot is huge. seriously huge. none of the pictures truly convey the barren emptiness of the lot cause the house is 600 feet away from the gate. it's completely flat gravel with a few obelisks sticking out and the house itself isn't particularly large so it's hardly visible from the street. i didn't know there was a lake around the house cause you can't see it from the gate but i guess the owner really wanted a moat

even though it appears to have been built as a big gently caress you to everyone around it, and the long driveway and closed gate make it seem like the owner wanted maximum distance between him and the outside world - he gives tours for money and has a sign posted outside the gate.

it constantly looks in the same state of disrepair that decaying tourist attractions on route 66 have except i think it's less than 20 years old. please note the massive pile of gravel to cover up the grass attempting to grow and the cracking and sun bleached stencils on the fence

This gets my vote for worst thing in the thread. I hope the community bands together and razes the compound and everyone gets a medal for it. Jesus loving christ, it's like his entire conception of ancient Egypt comes from Bazooka Joe comics or some poo poo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

also not really a failure or anything but i live in springfield missouri and the skyline here is loving hilarious. there's tons of flat and cheap land around here so there aren't many tall buildings, except for these three

Wait missouri part of Australia now?

I have no idea when, or why that happened, but welcome to our united southern lands our new Aussie brethren! :australia:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Huntsville, Alabama is like that. There's a banking building, an old newspaper building, and a generic office building and then nothing else is more than five stories tall (if even that high) for miles around, except for one random church belltower on the edge of downtown.

e: vvvvv the Saturn V's not really "downtown" though (the replica Saturn V that's actually vertical is :krad: though)

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 7, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

YellerBill posted:

Huntsville, Alabama is like that. There's a banking building, an old newspaper building, and a generic office building and then nothing else is more than five stories tall (if even that high) for miles around, except for one random church belltower on the edge of downtown.

Well, the Saturn V is, but they keep it stored on its side.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

*throws bone into air*

I am a fan of this building.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Smuggins posted:

Well now I have a "Stupid thing to buy in case of Lottery winnings" property. The land around it look perfect for a Logans Run-esque walking garden before you arrive at my Renew-Center. (of doom)

But in Michigan...eh.
It recently sold for only 7.5 million. http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/11/education_group_purchasing_ste.html

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Am I too late to do lovely pyramids?

Welcome to Stockport!

I was going to write a history of the building but I thought the David Icke forums did a better job

quote:

The Co-Op Bank Pyramid or Stockport Pyramid in Stockport, England is a large pyramid-shaped office block in Stockport in England. (The surrounding part of the valley of the upper Mersey has sometimes been called the "Kings Valley" after the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.)

Plans were unveiled for a field of pyramids to rival the great temples at Giza.

In 1987, the £20m scheme for five pyramids was unveiled on the site of the Ring Avenue Estate, Brinksway, alongside the mystical waters of the Mersey - or is the Ganges?

And the site was to be given the grand name of King's Valley.

But, after the first six-storey temple to capitalism was built, the Curse of the Pharaohs struck and the developers and builders went bust.

It appeared copying 7,000 years of history wasn't what the ancient gods wanted.

The remaining pyramid opened in 1992, but it stood empty for several years like a monument to a lost dream - quite apt for a pyramid.

Explorers such as the National Lottery came and went but the blue glass monument remained undiscovered until the Co-operative Bank broke the seals in 1995 to open a telephone banking centre.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
That is amazingly stupid but drat does that thing look cool at night.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tsaedje posted:

Am I too late to do lovely pyramids?

Welcome to Stockport!

I was going to write a history of the building but I thought the David Icke forums did a better job

This looks like something out of the future era in SimCity, but the player just unlocked that tier so everything else is still realistically modern-day.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

blowfish posted:

i will never get architecture that is all about making people do annoying things during their workdays (having to ask for directions on every single corridor is just annoying no matter how ungoony you are), except maybe for an art museum building

i googled it but theres not lartge interior pictures :/

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

dr_rat posted:

Wait missouri part of Australia now?

I have no idea when, or why that happened, but welcome to our united southern lands our new Aussie brethren! :australia:

Which is obviously right across the border from Norway. :norway:

(Why that rather ... specific selection of flags?)

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Tianzi hotel in Langfang China....hahahahhaa

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

That is hilarious and I love it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Please please tell me there are rooms in the heads.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

haveblue posted:

Please please tell me there are rooms in the heads.

I think it's far more important that there are heads in the rooms.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This is a nice thread, I like it.

Here's this thing in Almaty. My buddy's parents live in it.

Also in Almaty, this other thing. Don't know if it's part of the same complex as the one above or what.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
It looks like it's trying to do that invisibility thing the airship in Avengers did.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

strap on revenge posted:

If I'd studied architecture (I almost did) and if we'd been in the same class, I think we would have gotten along. I did an architecture summer program in high school and got called out for "aggressive symmetry" for one project. Except why would I make the thing asymmetrical if I didn't have to? It's in our nature to prefer symmetry and it also makes for logical, navigable buildings. I ended up studying industrial design, which has a number of similarities to architecture, and while I like to think that we were more pragmatic about making logical, useful things than the architects (we constantly shat on our more stupid academic buildings during class discussions, though I did later learn the architects at my school hated all the same buildings the designers did (maybe there's hope for the future of architecture)), but I definitely remember getting dinged for my deadpan "but the glass is twice as big as it needs to be :geno:"-type design solutions because they weren't creative or experimental enough or whatever the gently caress.

Also, this

is like a stubby and bad version of PPG Place (which is awesome):

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

That is exactly what I thought of! I don't like that building at all.
Also, I had to look up where Almaty was. I've never heard of it. Largest city in Kazakhstan. Who knew?

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

It...it owns. :staredog:

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol
Google "brutalism"... :wtc: is this cunting hipster bullshit.

Edit: It's like the architectural version of aids.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
no you see you don't understand the 'context' so you can't appreciate brutlaism doop doop doop

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

It's actually a very liberating school of architecture, for you see its simplicity makes it available to all people and thus is innately a celebration of the common man, freed from the bonds of aristocratic columns and such bourgeoisie elements as gables, and furthermore Le Corbusier.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only people who genuinely like Brutalism are old people that want to appear like they're creating a modern renaissance, and goons who played Wolfenstein when they were kids and came all over the screen when they saw Hitler's badass castle.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Brutalism has hints of clear intentionality and a mindset of permanence, a fantasist escape from the futureless tedium we persist in. Man.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Brutalism is subjectively good.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Senor Gato posted:

Google "brutalism"... :wtc: is this cunting hipster bullshit.

Edit: It's like the architectural version of aids.

you may be surprised to hear that there are already many amazing examples in this very thread!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Brutalism alone is ugly.

Brutalism with greenery owns and is like a metaphor for some ideological whats-it that I've always taken for granted and thus don't notice and aren't thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Brutalism is the death metal of architecture, which itself is the anime of music.

• Locked thread