Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ah, okay. I remember now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Onean posted:

I'd kinda been suspecting Lowell had been getting his brains from Blaine, since he seems to be the only game in town currently. Did Liv ask before? I can't remember.
And the thing is - there's no way you're eating those bought brains without knowing EXACTLY how Blaine acquired them. The visions alone would clue you in pretty quick that Blaine and his minions have been murdering runaways rather than robbing graves or morgues. The police chief is clearly guilt-ridden, but Lowell seems pretty chill about it.

All of this makes me wonder why Lowell hasn't hit Liv up for brains. A) They're free and B) they don't involve being complicit in the murder of exploited minors. Even if Lowell is completely morally compromised, he'd at least save money and escape dependence on a psychopathic dealer who knows his way around a power drill.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's possible that he's really on the level and Blaine just happened to be taking a brain order to somebody else.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

raditts posted:

It's possible that he's really on the level and Blaine just happened to be taking a brain order to somebody else.

Well there could be another zombie in the building, Blaine does seem to be expanding rather quickly. But no, she ate some of his brain breakfast and got the vision of Jerome, so he is definitely one of Blaine's customers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oh, I guess I missed that part.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bad guy is gonna start having to murder a whole lot of people to keep up the brain supply for his expanding client base.

Seems like a plan with a shelf life.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Bad guy is gonna start having to murder a whole lot of people to keep up the brain supply for his expanding client base.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't have thought that aspect of his plan through.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Random Stranger posted:

He strikes me as the kind of guy who wouldn't have thought that aspect of his plan through.

Yea, long term planner dude is not. I'm really looking forward to him getting killed and replaced with a more competent zombie overlord.

Not that Blaine isn't a great bad guy and all. I just look forward to seeing what a smarter criminal with vision would do with the set up.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like where they are going with Major, he could easily just have been the Duncan of iZombie.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

AnimeJune posted:

All of this makes me wonder why Lowell hasn't hit Liv up for brains. A) They're free and B) they don't involve being complicit in the murder of exploited minors. Even if Lowell is completely morally compromised, he'd at least save money and escape dependence on a psychopathic dealer who knows his way around a power drill.

Yeah, mostly for cost reasons...Blaine isn't cheap.

Did they explain that Lowell is a really successful musician? Is his MaxRager sponsorship really lucrative or something? Because in addition to affording gourmet brain delivery, dude lives in an insanely awesome apartment, with a pretty incredible view.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fast Luck posted:

He's a drug dealer. That's what he knows. So when he gains the ability to create clients for an exclusive product he behaves like a drug dealer. Maybe he's hoping Ravi and Liv find a cure quickly? Extract as much money as he can from rich zombies, then sell them the cure, and everyone goes back to normal but now he's rich.

Really wondering about the cop though. He knows kids are getting murdered to supply brains. He has weapons and isn't afraid to kill people, as seen with the creepy couple he gunned down. Why can't he just go get his own brains? As a long time law enforcement officer he must know specific people who "deserve" to die more than skater kids. Making his own kills would be risky, but so is taking orders from a lowlife.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Angela Christine posted:

Really wondering about the cop though. He knows kids are getting murdered to supply brains. He has weapons and isn't afraid to kill people, as seen with the creepy couple he gunned down. Why can't he just go get his own brains?

Also, he knows Liv is a zombie in the ME's office. If he doesn't like being extorted by Blaine, he has an extremely clear alternative avenue for brains.

In general, murdering people is a pretty poo poo strategy, though. How often does a zombie need to eat brains? There are probably already a couple tens of thousands of deaths in the Seattle area in any given year; siphoning some percentage of that through morgues and funeral homes is way less risky or suspicious than targeting and murdering live people.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Oasx posted:

I like where they are going with Major, he could easily just have been the Duncan of iZombie.

Duncan actually had a chance to be a much more Major-like character. I mean, instead Duncan just popped anti-depressants, but it's interesting to see Major as a "Duncan-if-things-turned-out-differently."

Angela Christine posted:

He's a drug dealer. That's what he knows. So when he gains the ability to create clients for an exclusive product he behaves like a drug dealer. Maybe he's hoping Ravi and Liv find a cure quickly? Extract as much money as he can from rich zombies, then sell them the cure, and everyone goes back to normal but now he's rich.

It's definitely plausible that Blaine is used to selling less hardcore drugs and thinks he's in control of the situation when it's obvious to us that brains are another drug entirely (essentially superpowers-run-amok suppressants).

I don't know, this whole Z-Mafia thing screams "I want power and control." The money has to be secondary, right? He's already had to have made a mint off of this scheme.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It seems like Liv eats maybe a brain a week, so if he's got 20 clients it's possible he's gotta kill 20 people every single week just to keep them from raging out and starting to kill on their own like the rich lady did. How many people can disappear before the media starts paying major attention to the problem?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

AnimeJune posted:

ll of this makes me wonder why Lowell hasn't hit Liv up for brains. A) They're free and B) they don't involve being complicit in the murder of exploited minors. Even if Lowell is completely morally compromised, he'd at least save money and escape dependence on a psychopathic dealer who knows his way around a power drill.

Lowell might be on board with Blaine's plan and secretly evil. It would explain why Blaine said he knew he was doing with her

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Fast Luck posted:

It seems like Liv eats maybe a brain a week, so if he's got 20 clients it's possible he's gotta kill 20 people every single week just to keep them from raging out and starting to kill on their own like the rich lady did. How many people can disappear before the media starts paying major attention to the problem?

Whenever we see Liv eat, it really isn't a lot, so a single brain could probably feed 3-4 zombies if not more.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fast Luck posted:

If they are homeless or minorities? 60+ and counting.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I know this thing is being written with no regard for the actual geography of the Seattle area, but I have to assume that if they spread out and hit Everett, Olympia, etc. as well they can kill quite a few more people than if they stick to Seattle proper. Also it's probably safe to take some number of tourists and transients.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The show has officially been renewed for a second season. http://deadline.com/2015/05/izombie-renewed-season-2-cw-1201421862/

Oasx fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 6, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I've always been wondering how unique Liv is as a zombie. They've established that all zombies seem to take on characteristics of the person whose brain they're eating, but the visions? Lowell knows about the visions but I don't know if that's because she told him about it or if all zombies experience that. Lowell could still be totally innocent with regard to Z-Mafia.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

In general, murdering people is a pretty poo poo strategy, though. How often does a zombie need to eat brains? There are probably already a couple tens of thousands of deaths in the Seattle area in any given year; siphoning some percentage of that through morgues and funeral homes is way less risky or suspicious than targeting and murdering live people.

They're something even more offensive than zombies: they're foodies. Basically every brain the Z-Mafia has been shown to get are adults in their late teens to early 30s in the prime of their life with no obvious medical issues (I can't recall if they also ate the winos at the skate park or not.)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've always been wondering how unique Liv is as a zombie. They've established that all zombies seem to take on characteristics of the person whose brain they're eating, but the visions? Lowell knows about the visions but I don't know if that's because she told him about it or if all zombies experience that. Lowell could still be totally innocent with regard to Z-Mafia.

He could be innocent even if they all get visions. Most of her visions are not of the last moments of the brain's life. Getting a vision that directly implicates a known zombie in the death of the missing/murdered kid was lucky. The majority of her visions are just people talking, arguing or loving, and wouldn't mean anything if she didn't know the brain came from a murder victim. The brain distribution network could also make sure nobody gets multiple servings of a single brain, so they are less likely to piece things about that person's life together.

Even if they all get visions Liv probably gets more visions than average, because she seeks out people, places and things that should be familiar to the victim. She's actively trying to trigger memories. She visits the places where they died and the people suspected of killing them to try to zero in on death related visions.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Xealot posted:

Also, he knows Liv is a zombie in the ME's office. If he doesn't like being extorted by Blaine, he has an extremely clear alternative avenue for brains.

He might be assuming that the bodies that come in aren't fresh enough to be edible. Blaine didn't mention that he doesn't supply her so he probably figures she gets her fix from him too.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Dresh posted:

He might be assuming that the bodies that come in aren't fresh enough to be edible. Blaine didn't mention that he doesn't supply her so he probably figures she gets her fix from him too.

Possibly, but murder victims come in within minutes or hours. And Blaine's supply isn't literally going skull to plate in less than a few minutes, I assume.

The morgue might not be fresh enough, but the ME's office has a time incentive to cut people open as quickly as possible. It's probably choice, as low-risk zombie brain eating sources go.

(This show is great. When did the CW become good? It's madness.)

Xealot fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 7, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Angela Christine posted:

Really wondering about the cop though. He knows kids are getting murdered to supply brains. He has weapons and isn't afraid to kill people, as seen with the creepy couple he gunned down. Why can't he just go get his own brains? As a long time law enforcement officer he must know specific people who "deserve" to die more than skater kids. Making his own kills would be risky, but so is taking orders from a lowlife.

Yeah, I don't understand why he wouldn't just kill Blaine and either take over the operation himself or set someone else up to manage it. Unless he's just waiting for the pieces of his plan to fall into place so he can step in and take over as smoothly as possible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I don't understand why he wouldn't just kill Blaine and either take over the operation himself or set someone else up to manage it. Unless he's just waiting for the pieces of his plan to fall into place so he can step in and take over as smoothly as possible.

Maybe he's stringing him along with the promise of a cure. I don't think any of the characters are thinking of this whole zombie thing long-term, although it obviously will have to be or else there won't be any show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The police are pretty weird overall in this show. Like Major accidentally tricked Babineaux into telling a reporter that the mayor and chief of police weren't interested in the rash of missing persons cases. The front line police officers were very angry both with Major and with Babineaux. Why? Surely police solidarity doesn't extend to the loving mayor. A front line officer was sooooo mad about this offhand comment that slightly embarrassed the local politicians that he deliberately and with malice arranged for a prisoner to be beaten by other prisoners. What?

It is especially weird because it is happening in Seattle. Just a bit south of Vancouver, where there was a rash of missing women a few years ago that was kind of a big deal. Turned out we had a serial killer hog farmer who was killing women and feeding their bodies to pigs. Okay, he got away with it for 30 years, but eventually he was caught and there was a scandal and a media circus about how long it took the police to realize anything was going on much less catch the killer. His convictions were just 2007, so the case would be well known to every cop in the area. It was a pretty big deal locally. In that enviornment brushing off a huge sudden spike in missing persons cases seems odd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Missing_Women_Investigation

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

"Angela Christine" posted:

It was a pretty big deal locally. In that enviornment brushing off a huge sudden spike in missing persons cases seems odd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Missing_Women_Investigation

Not as rare as you'd think, sadly. In Seattle, in fact, the Green River killer got away with serial murder for 20ish years and at least 48 victims because he picked women he (correctly) assumed the police wouldn't care much about. So no, it's not farfetched, especially with Blaine targeting street kids.

Edit: okay you said in the context of a media circus in 2007--ugh, that makes the BC case worse since Ridgeway was caught right around then too!

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 7, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Speaking of Pacific Northwest (presumably) death-related mysteries...did they ever figure out the deal with those feet that kept washing up?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Speaking of Pacific Northwest (presumably) death-related mysteries...did they ever figure out the deal with those feet that kept washing up?

Probably zombies.

The cover story is mostly suicides though. http://www.theprovince.com/quite+solved+mystery+severed+feet/10281333/story.html

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

atomicgeek posted:

Not as rare as you'd think, sadly. In Seattle, in fact, the Green River killer got away with serial murder for 20ish years and at least 48 victims because he picked women he (correctly) assumed the police wouldn't care much about. So no, it's not farfetched, especially with Blaine targeting street kids.

Edit: okay you said in the context of a media circus in 2007--ugh, that makes the BC case worse since Ridgeway was caught right around then too!

Yeah, I remember that one too. You'd think with two recent high profile cases where the cops ended up with egg on their faces for not adequately investigating the disappearances of underclass people that they'd kinda be on edge when it starts to happen again . . . and in a big way. Those were great stories for the media, and they'd love to get their teeth into something like that again. So far only one reporter is talking about it, but that won't last forever.

I suppose the show could just be ignoring that context since most of the viewers don't live in the pacific northwest.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Art for the next episode! Looks like it promises to be a fun one.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Woah. Catching up on this week's ep and daaaaaamn, Chief Tyrol seems to be morphing into Brian Dennehy.

Also, I want a zombie rat, awwww.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I think Blaine is still in charge because he's violent and cunning enough to maintain control. It doesn't matter if he has no long term plan because he's already living out his dream. He use to be a low level drug pusher to rich college kids and now he's the kingpin of a major organization with the political elite and the police in his pocket.

Season two might be what happens after he's killed or taken out and the house of cards falls down. He's pretty much the only known source of brains in the city since your average zombie wouldn't really have access to the morgue or time to rob graveyards or funeral homes.

The police chief might know where the brains are coming from but the other zombies might not since there probably isn't anything in their lives to trigger a memory of their death.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

The police chief might know where the brains are coming from but the other zombies might not since there probably isn't anything in their lives to trigger a memory of their death.
Other than Blaine, who is personally involved with the slaughter and butchering process and apparently makes deliveries. He's a very hands-on kingpin.

Tamizander Rey
Jul 14, 2004
Gentlemen! Chop off my head with such velocity, that the blood gushing from my neck propels my lifeless body all the way to Phoenix!
I predict Ravi will become a zombie and develop a cure but, gasp, only one dose and Liv will make him take it.

I feel bad for Major. All the time.

And I hate all the Babineaux hate. He's awesome. Yeah. I think it's because of the no love interest thing.

Her brother is a non-starter. Mother too.

King Arthur is so boring. Can't wait for him to take off.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Tamizander Rey posted:

I predict Ravi will become a zombie and develop a cure but, gasp, only one dose and Liv will make him take it.

Or he'll accidentally discover some protective factor vs. zombification via his failure to turn.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Or he'll accidentally discover some protective factor vs. zombification via his failure to turn.

or maybe it's not communicable between animals and humans?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pretty cool that full on zombie mode rat can chew through steel though. Zombies did 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Pretty cool that full on zombie mode rat can chew through steel though. Zombies did 9/11.

The 00s were pretty akin to a zombie apocalypse... </prerequisite Bush joke>

• Locked thread