Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In an effort to eat a better breakfast and save a bit of money, I bought a bulk bag of steel-cut oats. I have actually never cooked oats though, I'm pretty sure you just boil them in water but how do you tell when they're done? Just by seeing if they're soft enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggore
May 6, 2009
Greatings,

I need an idea for a fruit-based garniture or fruit-based sauce to pair with porc. I know rhubarb works well. Any ideas or recipe?

Thank you in advance.

Forever yours,

Iggore.

Iggore
May 6, 2009

C-Euro posted:

In an effort to eat a better breakfast and save a bit of money, I bought a bulk bag of steel-cut oats. I have actually never cooked oats though, I'm pretty sure you just boil them in water but how do you tell when they're done? Just by seeing if they're soft enough?

Add fruits and boiling water to the oatmeal right before going to bed. Leave it as is during the night. Savor in the morning.

Where did you bought your stealcut oatmeal? What brand is it? I'd like to have some myself.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

You can dip it in chili, with beans obviously.

Thanks but I don't like sandwiches.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You just don't get people, do you?

In all seriousness sriracha is pretty badass in utility pizza.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Iggore posted:

Greatings,

I need an idea for a fruit-based garniture or fruit-based sauce to pair with porc. I know rhubarb works well. Any ideas or recipe?

Thank you in advance.

Forever yours,

Iggore.

Might I suggest a cherry pork tenderloin? It is a recipe from a James Beard Award chef in the Emerald City.

Edit: To be completely serious, apple butter or apples in general are awesome with pork. So are currants.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

That Works posted:

You can dip it in chili, with beans obviously.

Aaaaaaaaaaugh

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I just filled up my pantry with all the staples I think I'll need to start learning some elementary Szechuan techniques. One question- the chili oil I bought has two listed ingredients: soybean oil and chiles. I find the soybean oil to be oddly repugnant, and it's inclusion in the dishes I've made has really overpowered the rest of the flavors (vinegars, bean pastes, etc.) I understand that chili oil is also made with a sesame oil base- would using that sort of betray the spirit of szechuan cuisine? It's such a critical ingredient in so many dishes, but it's keeping me from really enjoying a lot of these simple dishes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sesame oil is way more strongly flavored than soybean oil. I'm not sure I'd even notice the taste of soybean oil. Sure it's not just rancid?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

C-Euro posted:

Seeing if they're soft enough is good. I just put in ~3x liquid by volume and cook them until they've absorbed most of it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sesame oil is way more strongly flavored than soybean oil. I'm not sure I'd even notice the taste of soybean oil. Sure it's not just rancid?

I figured the relative strengths would be really out of balance, like you said. And I'm not 100% certain that the oil isn't rancid, but it's brand new and doesn't appear to be, it just has a very distinctive, very umami smell/flavor to it that I've never really encountered elsewhere. Granted, my experience with genuine Chinese food is limited. For what it's worth, I also find the chinkiang vinegar, shao xing wine, and dark soy sauce all pretty distinctive and unfamiliar in their own ways.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Jewmanji posted:

it just has a very distinctive, very umami smell/flavor to it

Does it smell at all like fish? If it smells or tastes like anything more than chilies it probably sat in the sun for too long somewhere or is just old as hell.

My buddy bought a little bottle of fish sauce once from a mom and pop korean grocer and didn't realize until he got it home that it was so old the salt had crystallized into a big chunk inside the bottle as it sat on its shelf for four years past its expiration date.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Might I suggest a cherry pork tenderloin? It is a recipe from a James Beard Award chef in the Emerald City.

Edit: To be completely serious, apple butter or apples in general are awesome with pork. So are currants.

Apricots or mangos are fantastic with pork as well. I had a friend make some pork loin with a mango butter that blew me away. I would never have thought about doing that tbh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't really eat chicken skin with my chicken unless I'm frying; is there anything else to do with it beyond rendering it down to get a very small amount of fat? Should I keep it with the bones for when I make stock? Crisp it down and pretend it's like bacon bits? Rub it on my face?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Drifter posted:

I don't really eat chicken skin with my chicken unless I'm frying; is there anything else to do with it beyond rendering it down to get a very small amount of fat? Should I keep it with the bones for when I make stock? Crisp it down and pretend it's like bacon bits? Rub it on my face?

It's good for stock, it breaks down into gelatin just like other connective tissues do. It's also delicious when broiled into cracklings.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chili oil shouldn't taste like anything but chili. I haven't actually seen chili oil used in Sichuan though. Typically things just have dried chilis in them, and if you're doing a stir fry you fry those in the oil in the beginning. I'm sure it can be/is used but it's not necessary.

Sichuan food uses the basic Chinese pantry (soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, green onion, MSG, etc) plus lots of dried red chilis and flower pepper.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 6, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was asked to do a cookie thing at my workplace, and agreed since I have a good recipe. However they have decided to reduce the sugar by half because Asians don't like their cookies to be sweet. I don't really care about them destroying my glorious cookies but I know changing that much sugar is going to have chemical effects. The batch we made today were dry and cakey and not very good. Is there anything I can adjust to compensate for the lack of sugar? Some googling suggested adding an extra egg yolk but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistent answers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sugar helps to maintain the water content because sugar is hygroscopic. Wikipedia tells me that diesel fuel is also hygroscopic, therefore

edit: Brown sugar is apparently more hygroscopic than white sugar, so as long as the flavor can handle it, maybe sub that?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The recipe uses half brown sugar half white. They took out the white sugar, we only used (light) brown. It wasn't awful but clearly something bad happened by just cutting the sugar without adjusting anything else.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

I was asked to do a cookie thing at my workplace, and agreed since I have a good recipe. However they have decided to reduce the sugar by half because Asians don't like their cookies to be sweet. I don't really care about them destroying my glorious cookies but I know changing that much sugar is going to have chemical effects. The batch we made today were dry and cakey and not very good. Is there anything I can adjust to compensate for the lack of sugar? Some googling suggested adding an extra egg yolk but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistent answers.

I thought about it for a bit and perhaps more butter/oil would help maintain the moistness?

I think you would need to make a lot of small test batches to get it right, cutting sugar in half could really screw with the way everything else in the cookie tastes.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Why would they just cut the white sugar, instead of cutting both white and brown in equal measure? Do you have any say in the ratio, or do they just blindly hate refined sugar?

Either way, this restriction is ridiculous.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just make them normal and tell them they have to like it - that way they get the true American experience.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Would using corn syrup in place of sugar have any advantages? (I found a source that says it is much more hygroscopic than brown sugar even)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Corn syrup has 1/3 the sweetness of sugar but you're adding liquid to the recipe which might throw something else off.

IIRC Chinese cookies tend to be dry an cakey anyways.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Would storing steak in a freezer via freezer bag in anyway harm the quality of the meat even if freezer burn is avoided?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Thunder Moose posted:

Would storing steak in a freezer via freezer bag in anyway harm the quality of the meat even if freezer burn is avoided?

VERY slightly, but not enough to make a big difference.

The water expands as it freezes and the ice crystals can microcut through the tissues, so freeze it fast(ly) so the crystals end up smaller.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 6, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Freezing raw steak will cause a small amount of degradation in quality because the ice crystals will poke open cell walls. This can mitigated by 1) having a strong freezer that can freeze quickly, which leads to smaller ice crystals and less cell wall perforation, 2) minimizing contact with air by vacuum bagging, etc

The small amount of degradation is considered acceptable if mitigated by the above steps, and you might not even notice the difference.

edit: this is assuming we're talking about a raw steak

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Grand Fromage posted:

A big while back, I visited a friend who had recently acquired a new girlfriend, she was Chinese.
We stayed overnight and in the morning there was a breakfast table filled with loads of stuff, normal stuff....eggs, cheese, bread, etcetera.

It was great, until the dude told us that his girlfriend had wanted to serve us a Chinese breakfast,
but he smugly told us that he had said to her that "Dutch people do not like that for breakfast".

I haven't seen that fucker since....

just make the cookies the way you know they are great, don't settle for sub-par cookies. They will like them, trust me.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Seems weird that they would forbid cooking cookies with sugar. Ya know, the thing that makes a cookie a cookie. What's even the point? It's not even a cookie anymore! It's a biscuit!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BattleCattle posted:

Seems weird that they would forbid cooking cookies with sugar. Ya know, the thing that makes a cookie a cookie. What's even the point? It's not even a cookie anymore! It's a biscuit!

They don't forbid it, they just don't make super-sweet cookies like a traditional Toll House chocolate chip cookie.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chairman Mao disapproves of your sugar consumption, comrade.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I think it's really strange, when eating throughout southeast asia, that sweetness is usually downplayed (at least compared to the US) in most countries.

Until you get to Korea, and then EVERYTHING MUST BE SICKENINGLY SWEET, INCLUDING THE MEAT.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Which is weird, because isn't Grand Fromage in Korea?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Oh no.

Guys, I screwed up making cordon bleu. The chicken shell and cheese seems properly cooked, but the ham on the inside is basically pork sushi, and I didn't notice until my second helping. How long do I have to live? Do I have enough time to write a will?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

BattleCattle posted:

Oh no.

Guys, I screwed up making cordon bleu. The chicken shell and cheese seems properly cooked, but the ham on the inside is basically pork sushi, and I didn't notice until my second helping. How long do I have to live? Do I have enough time to write a will?

Did you actually use uncured ham? If not, then you are going to be fine. If you did, you'll probably still be fine, but remember that you hosed up and if you feel bad go see a doctor.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

NinjaDebugger posted:

Did you actually use uncured ham? If not, then you are going to be fine. If you did, you'll probably still be fine, but remember that you hosed up and if you feel bad go see a doctor.

Yup, it was cured. Phew! Sorry for worrying ya, I was pretty worried myself.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Chili oil shouldn't taste like anything but chili. I haven't actually seen chili oil used in Sichuan though. Typically things just have dried chilis in them, and if you're doing a stir fry you fry those in the oil in the beginning. I'm sure it can be/is used but it's not necessary.

Sichuan food uses the basic Chinese pantry (soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, green onion, MSG, etc) plus lots of dried red chilis and flower pepper.

Well based on your confidence, I'll definitely go out and grab another bottle, thanks. As far as other ingredients are concerned, I sourced it all from Fuschia Dunlop's book Every Grain of Rice, which seems to be, at least to this novice, very accurate about what's what.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

What's the difference between those cheap rice cookers and the expensive ones and can someone recommend me a cheapish one?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Yaws posted:

What's the difference between those cheap rice cookers and the expensive ones and can someone recommend me a cheapish one?

The more expensive ones usually have options for cooking certain types of rice - I don't really know how it works even though I have one. Also, sometimes they have induction elements instead of a coil for more even heating or less burning or something. The cheap ones heat until they exceed the boiling point of water (meaning your rice is dry and cooked) and then go into a warming mode or turn off.

The $12 - $20 one at your local Asian or regular grocery store is probably good enough. Get the smallest one that'll work for you, as you'll usually lose some, cooked crunchy, to the bottom of the pot. Because of this you want the smallest amount of surface area practicable. If you get a larger one you'll need more rice in each load to make it work right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BattleCattle posted:

Yup, it was cured. Phew! Sorry for worrying ya, I was pretty worried myself.

Any cured meat is going to be safe as long as it's reasonably fresh, the curing process pretty much kills all the bad stuff which is the point of curing in the first place.

Also pork is one of the safer meats.

Yaws posted:

The expensive ones make better rice, can hold it at temperature for longer and have more features in general. As for cheap ones iirc this one is good, does both white and brown rice and steams, it's pretty small so you could bump up to a larger one for a very small amount more.