Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BillBear posted:

The Ironborn can actually be just as badass as vikings when ruled right, they managed to conquer large parts of Westeros before the Targs came and were the most feared people in the Kingdoms, it's just recently they kinda suck nuts.
Pfft, they probably just happened to "conquer" the Riverlands at exactly the time the locals were away facing off against the Targaryans, and no one had the chance to kick them back out before the Targaryans took over everything, so for once they managed an actual conquest if only through the efforts of other people.

Bobo the Red posted:

and is serving a pretty clearly evil deity to boot?
Clearly evil? Fire warms and it consumes, you can't have one without the other. We're not talking an omnipotent deity here, could be it needs kindling to do its thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Bobo the Red posted:

As Varys said
"The dark arts have provided Lord Stannis with his armies and paved his path to our door. For a man in service to such powers to sit on the Iron Throne, I can think of nothing worse. And tonight, I believe you are the only man who can stop him."

The current monarch Varys claims to support built her position on far darker arts than the Red Faith (the Dragons were born in literally the same sort of ceremony which maimed him, if that story is true). Whenever Varys opens his mouth, it's for the benefit of whoever happens to be listening, but never the audience of the show.

You could pore over every one of his scenes to try and determine when he's actually saying something which furthers his real goals, but it will never be clear until the show ends; probably not even then.

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 6, 2015

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

tin can made man posted:

The current monarch Varys claims to support built her position on far darker arts than the Red Faith (the Dragons were born in literally the same sort of ceremony which maimed him, if that story is true). Whenever Varys opens his mouth, it's for the benefit of whoever happens to be listening, but never the audience of the show.

What? The dragons were born in a pyre of someone being burned alive, something Daenerys did once, in an act of vengeance. Stannis does the same thing super casually. How the gently caress is what she did darker?

Manic Mailman posted:

That's just Varys hamming it up for Tyrion. doesn't prove a drat thing considering he was plotting to have Khaleesi killed/rooting for her at the same time.

He was pretty clearly going through the motions of trying to kill her, as this world has demonstrated that effective assassins exist in easy reach.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Clearly evil? Fire warms and it consumes, you can't have one without the other. We're not talking an omnipotent deity here, could be it needs kindling to do its thing.

Burning innocent humans as kindling is not evil? If the Red God needs evil poo poo to have power, it is an evil god. Plus, Mel kinda let us know that most of the religion was smoke and mirrors, making the human sacrifices no less evil, but certainly far more nuts.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 6, 2015

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tin can made man posted:

You could pore over every one of his scenes to try and determine when he's actually saying something which furthers his real goals, but it will never be clear until the show ends; probably not even then.

Well, but to be fair, he does seem to be pretty consistent in the principles he claims to hold, no matter who he's speaking to. Everything he does or supports does seem to be aimed at promoting peace in the Seven Kingdoms. That said, if anyone's capable of misleading the audience throughout the entirety of the series (books or TV), it's Varys. He really is my favorite character, no contest.

Manic Mailman posted:

That's just Varys hamming it up for Tyrion. doesn't prove a drat thing considering he was plotting to have Khaleesi killed/rooting for her at the same time.

I get the impression that his opinion on her has evolved - that once Drogo was out of the picture and Daenerys started conquering poo poo, he realized, "Oh hey, she might actually have a chance of winning."

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

Burning innocent humans as kindling is not evil? If the Red God needs evil poo poo to have power, it is an evil god. Plus, Mel kinda let us know that most of the religion was smoke and mirrors, making the human sacrifices no less evil, but certainly far more nuts.

Stannis is right to burn people though, because his god commands it, and unlike any of the other gods on this show, this god has been shown to be the real deal.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Bobo the Red posted:

Hey, you wanna root for a pragmatic, murderous version of Robert, go for it. i just wish people would stop acting like he's some noble, dutiful scion of hope. We've seen two rulers (Robert and Daenerys) who are great at conquering and terrible at ruling already, why would you want one who is even worse at it, and is serving a pretty clearly evil deity to boot?

As Varys said
"The dark arts have provided Lord Stannis with his armies and paved his path to our door. For a man in service to such powers to sit on the Iron Throne, I can think of nothing worse. And tonight, I believe you are the only man who can stop him."

I never said Stannis' actions are noble, just pragmatic. Renly wasn't going to back down and had a larger army. What Stannis did was straight Sun Tzu 101. Hey, if you have an ace up your sleeve (weather it's shadow-babies or dragons), use it. There is no black and white here - every major player has done something questionable in pursuit of the throne. Being 'noble' will just get you killed.

Not what I call ideal, but right now it seems only the Night's Watch and Team Stannis have some focus and are trying to get the job done. Until something better comes along, I'll root for them.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Lycus posted:

Another vague time reference was Littlefinger saying that Sansa was tormented by Joffrey for years.

Yet Sansa was 13 in the first episode of the series and 14 in Season 3 episode 8.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

marktheando posted:

Stannis is right to burn people though, because his god commands it, and unlike any of the other gods on this show, this god has been shown to be the real deal.
It's also opposed to the white walkers, which seem like a big enough deal that a few hundred nobles on a pyre would be a small sacrifice if it meant even a little help in defeating them. Hell, getting rid of disloyal nobles might have secured his own lands enough that he could actually contemplate going north, and thus saving the Night's Watch. The Lord of Light moves in not so mysterious ways.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

marktheando posted:

This reminds me that I want to see the Brotherhood Without Banners again. The only hope for Westeros lies not in the bloody wheel of fortune that is monarchy (whether feudal or absolute, Dany may seem progressive but she's still a despot) but in killing all the nobles.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This reminds me that I want to see the Brotherhood Without Banners again. The only hope for Westeros lies not in the bloody wheel of fortune that is monarchy (whether feudal or absolute, Dany may seem progressive but she's still a despot) but in killing all the nobles.

Except for Shireen...because, you know, of her mission to bring literacy to the masses. :)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Yet Sansa was 13 in the first episode of the series and 14 in Season 3 episode 8.

Given Joffery starts tormenting Sansa from the middle of season 1 right up to his death in the middle of season 4, a timescale of roughly 1 year per season would make Littlefingers statement correct. The above statement could also be correct depending on when her birthday is in relation to the events in the show.
9 months - a year of "our" time sounds about right.

As well as scale, time is also not something the source material and author is good at :)

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Bobo the Red posted:

What? The dragons were born in a pyre of someone being burned alive, something Daenerys did once, in an act of vengeance. Stannis does the same thing super casually. How the gently caress is what she did darker?

"Dark" in this case doesn't necessarily mean "evil". The funeral pyre for Khal Drogo, while not intending to be a ritual, ended up being the most effective one we've seen to date, and based on the darkest of magic. It was, one could argue, the king's blood in Khal Drogo, mixed with whatever Mirri Maz Dur's sacrifice added to it (she may also be considered an innocent by some), which was powerful enough give Danerys her birthright.

Stannis has squirted half-living shades into existence, and burned men and leeches for good fortune (whether or not correlation = causation in those instances is unclear), and Thoros has managed to breathe life into someone just recently dead, but Daenerys? Her ritual was powerful enough to transform never-born, fossilized-into-literal-stone remains into fire made flesh; and not just one, but all three. Whether or not her acts are more evil is up for debate, but it seems indisputable that if Varys takes umbrage with Stannis' magic, he must have some objections to the woman whose entire schtick is to carry the last living three embodiments of arcana on her shoulder and call them her children.

Additionally, if it is king's blood which causes magic to do it's thing, that raises an interesting question about why someone would want to chop off and burn bits of Varys - if indeed that ever happened.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I think if Danny's storyline was more exciting everyone would be on her boat instead of Stannis.

She is the Stormborn, the person responsible for bringing dragons back into the world and in a path to conquer the throne that is hers by blood right. She is the most badass.

Too bad the show depicts her as being so boring.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Kanthulhu posted:

I think if Danny's storyline was more exciting everyone would be on her boat instead of Stannis.

She is the Stormborn, the person responsible for bringing dragons back into the world and in a path to conquer the throne that is hers by blood right. She is the most badass.

Too bad the show depicts her as being so boring.

To be fair, part of it is meant to be deliberately mundane - ie, being a ruler isn't just about kicking rear end and take names and all that. And well, the series has made a habit of interrupting events with various anti-climaxes to show things don't always build up to what you expect.

But I don't think the set up proves particularly helpful in creating interesting situations, exacerbated by the fact that, as a relative fan favourite, they can't have her drop off the show for a while to let the boring bits progress offscreen. Dany's left largely reacting to the actions of others, and the one major choice she's made, of course, is generally shown to not have been to her particular benefit (and ultimately, Grey Worm and Ser Barristan's). Checking on her dragons leads to nothing except cementing that she screwed that up as well, and its hard to say what the point of Drogon coming back will be until he does something too. Hell, one could argue that even the execution has yet to actually be of real significance, given that the event that followed could really have happened either way, so they've kept bringing Daenerys up without having much of a particular point to it: And at best, I imagine its an excuse to give Jorah a chance to put himself on public display so he can then try and get forgiveness.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

marktheando posted:

His god doesn't command it, a lady he wants to gently caress says a god commands it. He started tearing down the temples (and maybe burning people?) before the shadow baby, which might be 'proof'. Also, his god wanting people dead does not absolve Stannis in any way.

Also, the Old Gods seem to have powers, which they seem to give out non-murderously. Vote Old Gods all day.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's also opposed to the white walkers, which seem like a big enough deal that a few hundred nobles on a pyre would be a small sacrifice if it meant even a little help in defeating them. Hell, getting rid of disloyal nobles might have secured his own lands enough that he could actually contemplate going north, and thus saving the Night's Watch. The Lord of Light moves in not so mysterious ways.

If burning people of noble blood is what it takes, he should be throwing himself and his daughter on the pyre first.

And his nobles were not disloyal. They were his loyal bannermen who were ALSO loyal to their ancestral religion, a religion Stannis at least nominally belonged to until he saw a nicer pair of titties

Joachim1167 posted:

I never said Stannis' actions are noble, just pragmatic. Renly wasn't going to back down and had a larger army. What Stannis did was straight Sun Tzu 101. Hey, if you have an ace up your sleeve (weather it's shadow-babies or dragons), use it. There is no black and white here - every major player has done something questionable in pursuit of the throne. Being 'noble' will just get you killed.

Not what I call ideal, but right now it seems only the Night's Watch and Team Stannis have some focus and are trying to get the job done. Until something better comes along, I'll root for them.

You may not have. a lot of people like to defend Stannis as this bastion of righteousness and duty, when he's more a power hungry psychopath who applies justice to everyone but himself. Also, Stannis came north to fight the Wildlings, not the White Walkers. He is, in fact, about to leave to resume his war.

tin can made man posted:

"Dark" in this case doesn't necessarily mean "evil". The funeral pyre for Khal Drogo, while not intending to be a ritual, ended up being the most effective one we've seen to date, and based on the darkest of magic. It was, one could argue, the king's blood in Khal Drogo, mixed with whatever Mirri Maz Dur's sacrifice added to it (she may also be considered an innocent by some), which was powerful enough give Danerys her birthright.

Stannis has squirted half-living shades into existence, and burned men and leeches for good fortune (whether or not correlation = causation in those instances is unclear), and Thoros has managed to breathe life into someone just recently dead, but Daenerys? Her ritual was powerful enough to transform never-born, fossilized-into-literal-stone remains into fire made flesh; and not just one, but all three. Whether or not her acts are more evil is up for debate, but it seems indisputable that if Varys takes umbrage with Stannis' magic, he must have some objections to the woman whose entire schtick is to carry the last living three embodiments of arcana on her shoulder and call them her children.

Additionally, if it is king's blood which causes magic to do it's thing, that raises an interesting question about why someone would want to chop off and burn bits of Varys - if indeed that ever happened.

Well, even if one bought into "Khal Drogo had special blood, and Dany accidentally did the darkest magic ever, way darker than the thousands of similar burnings Stannis does", Dany did it by accident. She killed the woman on purpose, because she was mad as hell, but she didn't engage in human sacrifice in order to maximize her power. Varys would have zero reason to view those things as remotely similar.

Edit: Varys has very personal reasons for hating people who hurt others for supernatural power. Stannis is the one doing that basically every godamn episode.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 6, 2015

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Joachim1167 posted:

Personally, I'm not rooting for anyone, I'm just watching to see what happens next. Anybody looking for anybody noble and good in Game of Thrones is missing the point of the show/books. Everybody is out for themselves. "What's best for the Kingdom" always translates to "how will the kingdom best benefit me?".

There was an important scene in the books that was left out of the show with The Hound and Arya taking a ferry across a river that explains that point perfectly.

Mr Beens posted:

Given Joffery starts tormenting Sansa from the middle of season 1

Was that the middle? I thought that was the second or third episode. He starts tormenting her after he demands her wolf be killed in place of Arya's.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 6, 2015

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

My Q-Face posted:

Personally, I'm not rooting for anyone, I'm just watching to see what happens next. Anybody looking for anybody noble and good in Game of Thrones is missing the point of the show/books. Everybody is out for themselves. "What's best for the Kingdom" always translates to "how will the kingdom best benefit me?".

There was an important scene in the books that was left out of the show with The Hound and Arya taking a ferry across a river that explains that point perfectly.

Does the Hound kill the ferryman when they are halfway across?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

My Q-Face posted:

Was that the middle? I thought that was the second or third episode. He starts tormenting her after he demands her wolf be killed in place of Arya's.

He apologizes to her after Lady dies (gives her a lion necklace) and then acts the perfect prince until he becomes king, whereupon he goes full psycho.

Bobo the Red posted:

Does the Hound kill the ferryman when they are halfway across?

He swindled the ferrymen out of their payment and, since you asked, indirectly causes one of them to drown by coercing them to go across a raging river during a storm in the first place.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

My Q-Face posted:

Everybody is out for themselves. "What's best for the Kingdom" always translates to "how will the kingdom best benefit me?".

Except for Melisandre, who so far seems pretty sincere in her devotion to R'hllor (though judging by her reaction to Beric and Thoros, she might be in a smidge over her head).

I'm rooting for Melisandre. She's my favorite and as far as I am concerned she can do no wrong. Burning Selyse's family at the stakes? They probably had it coming. Shadow baby murders Renly? He was a traitor and deserved death. She winds up burning down all of Westeros? Perfect, there's nothing left for White Walkers to devour.

"The night is dark and full of terrors, but the fire burns them all away."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

marktheando posted:

That...really isn't how "right" works? In Lovecraft mythos, elder gods objectively exist, too, but they're still forces of evil.

This is also assuming Melisandre's interpretation is on the level; that the Lord of Light works the way she says he does. All we know is that some set of magical phenomena associated with R'hollor actually work, but there's also a ton of magic with no connection to it that works - that behind the White Walkers or Children of the Forest, or the weirwood religion of the First Men. The true nature of "magic" in the show isn't fully known.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're supposed to have seen Jon as heroic for killing Mance humanely, in defiance of Stannis' pyromania. The way he uses his religion is supposed to be hosed up and upsetting; characters like Davos, or Gendry, or Shireen who speak critically about it are also in the right to do so.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Part of me wonders if Melisandre will ever encounter another red priest/ess in series, and get stuck having to debate how and why she's so fervent in her belief that Stannis is Azor Ahai. Thoros is the obvious option if they do ever bring the brotherhood without banners back into play, but I find it curious how they made a point of demonstrating that some of the same faith think its Dany who fits the legend. I know, in universe, it makes sense to be some disparity among the clergy, but one would hope they're trying to have a point with it.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
Melisandre already met Thoros when she came to get Gendry.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

....god, yeah, sorry. Can't believe that slipped my mind, especially given my sister keeps throwing out the obligatory 'whatever happened to Gendry?' whenever we discuss the series.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Astro Nut posted:

Part of me wonders if Melisandre will ever encounter another red priest/ess in series
It would be interesting if we did, but I'm not sure how it could reasonably happen; Thoros and Beric haven't been around since Season 2 (and they didn't seem to have any opinion about Azor Ahai), and the only other R'hllor clergy we've seen was the Asian Yi Ti priestess in the third episode.

I'm sure though that it's not necessarily a unified religion - there are priests and priestesses, and I know they have a main religious headquarters in one of the Free Cities, but I'm sure a lot of it is just "there is this very interesting person and I think they are the real Azor Ahai!"

If I recall correctly it's almost certainly connected to the Prince who was Promised or whatever prophecy, which means it's related to the Targaryan mythology, which in turn means it almost certainly is also related to the White Walkers. But who knows if the show or books will ever make it clear what exactly is going on.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I think it's not unlikely that Mel is actually being granted powers by the 'adversary', whatever that is, to empower the wrong person. She was surprised by the powers Thoros had, and visions, poison resistance, and shadow babies hardly spell out 'lord of light' to me.

She reads like a priestess who used to dupe people into believing with powders and mirrors and poo poo, and now she's being duped into believing she's following the right deity (and murdering shitloads of innocents along the way).

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 7, 2015

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Bobo the Red posted:

I think it's not unlikely that Mel is actually being granted powers by the 'adversary', whatever that is, to empower the wrong person. She was surprised by the powers Thoros had, and visions, poison resistance, and shadow babies hardly spell out 'lord of light' to me.

She reads like a priestess who used to dupe people into believing with powders and mirrors and poo poo, and now she's being duped into believing she's following the right deity (and murdering shitloads of innocents along the way).

Melisandre just took Stannis' death to Howland Reed very hard.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Bobo the Red posted:

I actually think it does, but then my first impression of Melisandre's character when reading the books (and this translated very well to her debut in the show) and her religion was so overwhelmingly "Author Is Hitting You Over The Head With The 'SHE IS EVIL' Hammer" that I figured "Lord Of Light" was meant to be a takeoff on "Light-Bearer" which is one of the aliases/epithets of Lucifer.

So Stannis essentially worships Satan and all but literally made the Faustian Bargain, particularly with regards to Renly's demise. And yet he's STILL more sympathetic than Joffrey when they go head to head at the end of Season/Book 2.

After Thoros got introduced (and with him, another perspective on the religion) I was less sure. Something along the lines of what you're saying [Melisandre is a heretic and/or an unwitting dupe] seems more possible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

pasaluki posted:

Melisandre just took Stannis' death to Howland Reed very hard.

Those skeletons were working for the Red God? :aaa:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Perky posted:

I actually think it does, but then my first impression of Melisandre's character when reading the books (and this translated very well to her debut in the show) and her religion was so overwhelmingly "Author Is Hitting You Over The Head With The 'SHE IS EVIL' Hammer" that I figured "Lord Of Light" was meant to be a takeoff on "Light-Bearer" which is one of the aliases/epithets of Lucifer.

So Stannis essentially worships Satan and all but literally made the Faustian Bargain, particularly with regards to Renly's demise. And yet he's STILL more sympathetic than Joffrey when they go head to head at the end of Season/Book 2.

After Thoros got introduced (and with him, another perspective on the religion) I was less sure. Something along the lines of what you're saying [Melisandre is a heretic and/or an unwitting dupe] seems more possible.

One thing interesting with Arya's plot, is she noticed that there were all of the Gods of Westeros there, but the people keep calling them the "many faced God."

I think their take (just a guess here) is that all of them are aspects of the same deity, which includes the Lord of Light stuff; but does not include what drives the white walkers. So effectively I think they are worshiping different aspects of the same deity. Remember all the magical spirits flying out of the fire and stuff is a trick, done with powders and slight of hand. The Lord of Light is not actually rewarding anyone for the mass burnings.

My Q-Face posted:

There's exceptions. I really think people like Davos are trying to do what they think is right, and he was willing to be burned alive for that end. People like Stannis I think honestly and completely believe that if they were King, they could do right by their people and save them from untold thousands of deaths when winter comes.

Ironically it doesn't mean they actually do the right thing, but sometimes I think there's a few characters who honestly try to. It's just that they usually end up completely dead or are undone by a single selfish act (Robb breaking his marriage vow, despite being otherwise very much a do-gooder).

ED: Davos really might be the most selfless person on the show, now that I put more thought into it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 7, 2015

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Jerusalem posted:

Those skeletons were working for the Red God? :aaa:

Lol
One of those skeletons might have been Stannis himself.
The skeletons weren't anything like the wight thralls the Others have (which are more like zombies) so they basically just popped out of the ground to gently caress with Howland Reed albeit indirectly

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
The "Many Faced God" is Death

Jaqen told Arya "you already know his name" because, of course, Syrio told her way back in season 1 "There's only one god: Death. And there's only one thing we say to him: Not Today." It may be worth remembering at this point that Syrio was from Braavos so he was probably familiar with these guys. Obviously they're a big deal over there since anyone from Braavos will immediately drop what they're doing and take a girl in a boat across the sea to Braavos if/when she shows them the coin. And those three guys who were about to mug (or worse) Arya in that alleyway INSTANTLY turned tail and ran when they got one glimpse of one dude from the temple. Obviously everyone in Braavos knows/believes it is suicidally insane to even think about loving with these guys, which is pretty amusing. And if they are mystical assassins that literally worship death perhaps it's easy to see why.

To them all "Gods" that anyone worships anywhere are really just a facet/aspect of their guy. It's more of a forgiving "ehhh they mean well, they just have the name wrong, their hearts are in the right place, it's cool, whatever, Death doesn't really care about splitting those hairs, everyone comes to him in the end anyway" than the "JOIN US OR DIE OURS IS THE ONE AND ONLY TRUE FAITH YOU'RE EITHER WITH US OR EVIL!" tack the Red God religion seems to take.

Also in terms of its function and role in the setting The Seven is pretty much Medieval European Catholicism with the serial number filed off, so it's kinda the same deal as the Trinity, only there's 7 of them instead of 3, but it's a similar idea of them simultaneously being separate beings and yet also all One. Even without the house of black & white being into Death as the one true God they could rightly call Westeros' Seven a/the "Many Faced God" (to say nothing of The Old Gods, who seems to be myriad and nameless and akin to animist faiths where there is a god [or an aspect of a god] in pretty much everything).

Meanwhile the increasingly irrelevant Ironborn have their own special god unto themselves, The Drowned God, who has a rather cthonic-sounding mantra of "What Is Dead Can Never Die" and takes every good Ironborn boy (or girl, in Yara's case) who dies in combat LIKE A WARRIOR :black101: to what is more or less an undersea Valhalla. Though at this point in the show you'd easily be forgiven for not knowing or caring about this one. It's only slightly less irrelevant than the horse god/Stallion That Mounts The World that Khal Drogo believed in and who Dany's baby was sorta supposed to be the incarnation/aspect of.

Who even knows where/if The White Walkers fit in to anybody's theology in this setting. I guess maybe we'll find out by the series finale?

Mister Perky fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 7, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

Yes, I agree, the shadow baby does not seem like a product of good, but what is a shadow but the absence of light? Could it be that the Lord of Light did not so much create the shadow baby as he withdrew his presence for a moment, allowing an emissary of the 'adversary' to slip into a part of the world which is usually impenetrable to them? His blessing of Melisandra being the only thing preventing the creature from attacking her, with it instead seeking out the next best thing in the form of a man who would be king. (Corralled perhaps by the Lord of Light?) Then, at the moment Renly died, the Lord of Light returned his light to the void he had created, and snuffed out the abomination. When you think about it, the Lord of Light is probably the only thing preventing every act of reproduction in the GoT from producing shadow babies, making it an unqualified good god.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mister Perky posted:

Who even knows where/if The White Walkers fit in to anybody's theology in this setting. I guess maybe we'll find out by the series finale?

Craster seems to have believed they were gods.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes, I agree, the shadow baby does not seem like a product of good, but what is a shadow but the absence of light?

Darkness is the absence of light and shadows cannot exist without light.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

pasaluki posted:

Darkness is the absence of light and shadows cannot exist without light.
Yeah, that is more accurate. Also just improves the case for the Lord of Light. A shadow is merely the place where his influence has been outmatched by that of the 'adversary', not completely beaten, and yet we see that even a shadow is a dangerous entity. Imagine then his complete absence. The night truly is dark and full of terrors.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I also have a much wackier theory, where the gods don't really exist, there's just an increase in the magic of the world, and the powers people manifest just reflect what they expect. So the people who think there's a many faced god can change faces, and the ones who think there's a firey god get to do fire stuff, the ones who believe in animal spirits get to warg, and the ones who believe in the Seven don't get magical powers because the Andals weren't magical.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
With only so much time left on the show I kind of hope the White Walkers never show up on screen or seriously worry anyone except Jon again. It should end with the winner of this cluster gently caress at their coronation smiling as the snow begins to fall.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mister Perky posted:

Also in terms of its function and role in the setting The Seven is pretty much Medieval European Catholicism with the serial number filed off, so it's kinda the same deal as the Trinity, only there's 7 of them instead of 3, but it's a similar idea of them simultaneously being separate beings and yet also all One. Even without the house of black & white being into Death as the one true God they could rightly call Westeros' Seven a/the "Many Faced God" (to say nothing of The Old Gods, who seems to be myriad and nameless and akin to animist faiths where there is a god [or an aspect of a god] in pretty much everything).

This kinda makes me hope that in medieval Rome there was a whore house where the pope could go and choose between different whores that represent the father, son, and holy spirit. Two costs extra!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Blazing Ownager posted:

There's exceptions. I really think people like Davos are trying to do what they think is right, and he was willing to be burned alive for that end. People like Stannis I think honestly and completely believe that if they were King, they could do right by their people and save them from untold thousands of deaths when winter comes.

Ironically it doesn't mean they actually do the right thing, but sometimes I think there's a few characters who honestly try to. It's just that they usually end up completely dead or are undone by a single selfish act (Robb breaking his marriage vow, despite being otherwise very much a do-gooder).

ED: Davos really might be the most selfless person on the show, now that I put more thought into it.

Now that all his children are dead and he's living on borrowed time, sure. But then, he's not a noble either. One of the big themes in the series is "the nobility have all these claims and myths about them and how great and important they are, but in reality they're all petty and self absorbed and do more harm than good for the people they rule".

Tyrion is the sort-of exception to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I know that Tommen isn't as psychotic or intimidating as his older brother, but I would like to believe that he has some grasp on what is going on at the very moment. Tommen realizes that his new wife and his mother do not get along. Tommen seems to show true affection toward his new wife, and I am sure he is aware of Cersi's methods of protecting him. So here is what I am proposing Tommen do to solve this issue: Proclaim that Sir Loras is being held against the will of the crown, and that if certain "moves" were to be taken to eliminate Loras than the crown would have to step in, with force. This would put Tommen on the front lines and (lets face it) an easy target. CErsi might reconsider the whole mess and have Loras released. I forgot the fanatics name, but It seems Cersi and him are working together. If Tommen wanted to come out on top, this is the way to go, I think.

• Locked thread