Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Roflan posted:

Sarabutra zone line to Muhara is shorter but trickier to navigate without getting agro. Jeuno to Bastok/Selbina is much longer but safer if you're mindful... I'm assuming you're a Windhurst char and did the Muhara subjob? How did you get to Jeuno?..

Maybe I'm not remembering something; in the way too many times I've started new chars, I always started in Bastok and did the Selbina subjob quest. But you should have the Selbina homepoint. So you should port there and use that as your start point and run to Bastok then port back to Selbina and run to Sandoria.

...If you haven't run to Jeuno yet, be sure to get the wildly flapping books next to the FoV books at outposts and in random locations in zones without outposts. I think they're called survival guides? in anycase, they let you port between them for 500g and basically let you ignore who owns outposts. Most importantly for the trip to Jeuno, is that there are 2 on the way that you can use as checkpoints. One at the outpost that is usually monster owned in Pashhow and another near the zone line between Konschtat and Valkrum.

Also remember that all things that you can teleport to and from are visible on the map, now.

1k gil, Here's a list. Also, don't forget to check conquest once a week and do supply runs to outposts to unlock the time honored tradition of outpost warping.

Prism powders and silent oils are your friend when unlocking new areas. Or /whm at level 40/20 for invis and sneak, /dnc for spectral jig, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
You're all talking about difficult/easier runs to cities. Come on guys. Destrier Beret. It has auto-reraise. The only way you can fail to reach anywhere is if you accidentally hit "no" when it asks if you want to get back up!

Edit: Welp, the EU store still has the ultimate edition for :10bux:, codes for beret and shirt are in there.
VVVVVVVVVVV

Valle fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 7, 2015

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Valle posted:

You're all talking about difficult/easier runs to cities. Come on guys. Destrier Beret. It has auto-reraise. The only way you can fail to reach anywhere is if you accidentally hit "no" when it asks if you want to get back up!

Not all of us have a Destrier Beret. I have been spamming SE for years and they have only replied once, "Sorry for the inconvenience, but I am afraid you will have to try a different department." There was only one other option to choose for my support ticket. :roflolmao:

And now for something completely different. Does anyone know if conserve mp+ gear needs to be put in for precast or midcast? Maybe Geomancers are just mana sponges, but when I have it in precast it does not seem to do anything. Maybe I am just not paying enough attention? I probably should have posted this on a gearswap help thread.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I expect you'd want to have it equipped when the MP is deducted (which would be in a... midcast? gear set). If memory serves, Conserve MP still requires you to have the full amount available and it won't let you try to cast with less, but when the game actually reduces your MP it won't take the full amount away.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I have the beret. After a few hours of grouping with Derp I went and got my chocobo license. Got 3 trusts now and am working on windy rank. Trade some points for gear and am really enjoying the game. More fun than the other mmo games I've played since I quit years ago. It's a shame SE couldn't restore my original account.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The easiest way to get any new character to any of the main nations/Jeuno+Adoulin is to abuse RoE/Unity. Unlock RoE, clear 10 RoE quests (can probably be done in town with crafting, might have to leave the town to flag a field/grounds page), unlock Unity, get your accolades and use the accolade warp to get where you want to go.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Oh right, I saw something about warp when I talked to the unity dude but I forgot to even test it out. So many warps these days...and just like currencies, they are kept separate!

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
So after a few days I finally was able to get a response on the reward codes for the ultimate edition from SE stores. I received both codes this morning.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/docs/email_support

That's the link you have to go to as the other support seems to be strictly for accounts. Just tell them you recently purchased the ultimate seekers edition from SE's store and you didn't receive the in game reward items. As soon as I found the right people to talk to it was a pretty quick turn around time.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
A second floor will be added to Mog Houses.
About the Second Floor
A second floor will be added to Mog Houses, enabling players to place more furnishings than ever before. However, there are several differences between the first and second floors as given below.
Size
The second floor is slightly bigger than the first floor.
Moogles
As there is no moogle on the second floor, players will be able to change the layout in the center of the floor as well.
Wall Layout
Furnishing may be affixed to walls in more spaces at a total of four height levels.
Remodeling
Room style may be freely switched between San d'Orian, Batsokan, and Windurstian themes.
* Only the second floor's style may be changed.
* Potted plants may not be cultivated on the second floor.
* Furnishings place on the second floor will not grant moghancement effects.
Constructing the Second Floor
Moogles located in the player's Mog House will give the player some details about the second floor, which will be constructed when players complete the following quests and then re-enter their Mog House.
Growing Flowers
A Lady's Heart
Flower Child.
* Players who have already completed the above quests will need to first speak to the moogle about the second floor, leave their house, and then re-enter and speak with the moogle about second floor construction once more.
Heading to the Second Floor
Players will be able to go to the second floor from the entrance of their Mog House.
* Players who have been invited to another's Mog House will not be able to switch floors. To access the second floor, invitees must first leave the Mog House and be invited again once the inviter is on the second floor.
Mog Safe II
Players with a second floor in the Mog House will be able to access a secondary Mog Safe. The Mog Safe II is identical to the original Mog Safe, and the number of items that can be stored within increases in line with the number of items storable in the Mog Safe.

During layout, spaces currently occupied by a furnishing but can have another furnishing placed on top of the existing one will now display in green.

It will be made easier to distinguish which section of space you have selected while laying out your Mog House.

Players will be able to choose between two different methods of moving the cursor when placing furniture.

A new option to disable furniture camera collision will be added.

Mog Gardens will undergo the following adjustments.
Monster Rearing will have a new maximum rank of four, with three new creature types added. Additionally, players will be able to have up to two creatures join their garden per Vana'diel day.
New Chacharoon Cheer effects will be added.
A New vendor NPC will be added to the Rearing Grounds.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Thinking coming back to this game so I can finally finish up the storylines for realsies this time. And what better time to do a world transfer than with the current discount. Is the Asura server the OP refers to still the main goon server?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Indeed. Join us, and we'll poop all over the world.

Pumaite
Nov 6, 2004

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Thinking coming back to this game so I can finally finish up the storylines for realsies this time. And what better time to do a world transfer than with the current discount. Is the Asura server the OP refers to still the main goon server?

Oh bobby. The glorious corgis will ride again.

I come for the tarus but stay for the galkas

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Sounds like they're trying to imitate player housing in xiv.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
And done, transfer is a go. Gonna try bothering a few of you guys for a pearl if any of you are online tonight. Looking forward to playing my Samurai dancer again.

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.
Finally stopped dragging my rear end and also transferred. I'll harass people for an invite after exams are over.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/46965

Dev 1: What content are we going to do for the new stuff?
Dev 2: gently caress I dunno, lets just reskin an old area and throw new currencies and wacky nm spawn rules at it
Dev 1: Works for me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Paladine_PSoT posted:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/46965

Dev 1: What content are we going to do for the new stuff?
Dev 2: gently caress I dunno, lets just reskin an old area and throw new currencies and wacky nm spawn rules at it
Dev 1: Works for me.

Dynammmmmmmmmmmmuhhhhhhhh something else

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee
As long as there is a decent story in the patch, I'm fine with a reskinned zone.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Loner-Assassin posted:

As long as there is a decent story in the patch, I'm fine with a reskinned zone.

Zone looks to be entirely greyscale. Nice look but so :effort:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I hope vagary continues to happen at a reasonable rate. Papers still need to come out for empy reforges. Hopefully tartarus mail will keep people interested in running it long after snowvilliers starts yelling for mass pick up groups in zitah.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

People are saying it takes 2 weeks of casual play to reach 99. Is that true? I really just want to play this game through to when SE stops supporting it. I played once in like 2010 and got to level 30, and really loved it but the time commitment didn't work out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I kind of get a kick out of the lengths they go to reuse assets because the FFXI dev team is like, a single intern and the janitor. They can't even make new zones that are made from copy\pasted segments FFXIV 1.0 style. :lol:

I've kind of talked about this game ad nausem while not actually playing it, but I think I'm actually gonna resub for realsies now because SE is dangling some cool Trusts like Lion and Zeid in front of my face.

I should really beat WoTG and SoA anyway. Is it possible to solo Abyssea's story? I recall that you had to beat like, a bunch of NMs in the zone to progress and that sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Last time I subbed, me and a buddy of mine were like "yeah, we're gonna farm dyna currency so we can upgrade our relic armor!", duoed dyna for a day and we were like "gently caress, this is gonna be tedious, maybe not lol"

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

I've been running around on MNK soloing zone bosses in Abyssea and poo poo. Kinda depends on the boss, but several of them are quite soloable with 99 and ilevel gear. Farming dynamis currency/alexandrite is a bit tedious still, but come on guys. This is FFXI. There has to the be SOME tediousness, right? :v:

As for 2 weeks of casual to reach 99, maaaybe. Depends on just how casual we're talking. But it's pretty drat quick. And the EXP rings just got a ridiculous boost as well.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Valle posted:

I've been running around on MNK soloing zone bosses in Abyssea and poo poo. Kinda depends on the boss, but several of them are quite soloable with 99 and ilevel gear. Farming dynamis currency/alexandrite is a bit tedious still, but come on guys. This is FFXI. There has to the be SOME tediousness, right? :v:

Yeah, that's true. I was a different person when I started FFXI, though. I was 14. I'm 28 now and I like, work and do other stuff. I never want to play pre-Abyssea FFXI again. This is why pretty much every private server I've seen doesn't interest me.

It's really fun just playing through story poo poo in Nu-FFXI though and I guess I can always settle for normal ilvl gear if I'm too lazy to upgrade my AF2 set. I mostly like them for the looks and SE added a semi-glamour thing to the game, even though it resets whenever you zone.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, that's true. I was a different person when I started FFXI, though. I was 14. I'm 28 now and I like, work and do other stuff. I never want to play pre-Abyssea FFXI again. This is why pretty much every private server I've seen doesn't interest me.

It's really fun just playing through story poo poo in Nu-FFXI though and I guess I can always settle for normal ilvl gear if I'm too lazy to upgrade my AF2 set. I mostly like them for the looks and SE added a semi-glamour thing to the game, even though it resets whenever you zone.

No longer shuts off on zone, can mix and match entirely separate jobs gear. Had a whm healing a pt last night while wearing pld relic and aegis.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Could I play like 1-2 hours a night, and 8+ on one day out of the week and still get things done. In old FFXI it would take me 1-2 hours to find a pt and then I was expected to be there for 4 hours.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

lemonslol posted:

Could I play like 1-2 hours a night, and 8+ on one day out of the week and still get things done. In old FFXI it would take me 1-2 hours to find a pt and then I was expected to be there for 4 hours.

For all the non endgame content, yes. For endgame content i basically see what's happening in shouts. if it's interesting, i join. If there's no good shout groups going, i form something myself and break it off if i can't get a group going in 15-20 minutes.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Transferred to Asura. In as Hachiiiiii (six i's). Can I also get an invite for Teakwood? Both of us are in West Adoulin by the AH.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Spent 4 hours straight killing bloodsuckers in the Bostaunieux oubliette for exp, I'm finally back. Gonna need to contact someone for a pearl tomorrow.

Edit: Would help if I posted my name, it's Raminer in-game!

Bonby fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 12, 2015

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Bought this cause tenbux and it was the only main FF game I didn't own. I'm level 14, still in the Windurst starting area trying to do "missions" there before leaving. But from what friends who played before said, I should head out of that area a really long way to somewhere to party grind a while. Is that still applicable or am I find following the story and getting my levels that way?
Also apparently I can get a subjob now? What do you do for BLM?

All the shortcuts being under ctrl+key are...interesting. Especially with a left ctrl button prone to jamming.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

First of all you should post your in-game name, so we can pearl you and make communication a tad easier. I'm on now as Tyranderp (/tell tyranderp whatever) and will likely be for quite a while.

Awesome OClock
May 24, 2013

A steaming pile of awesome... Covered in syrup.

Valle posted:

First of all you should post your in-game name, so we can pearl you and make communication a tad easier. I'm on now as Tyranderp (/tell tyranderp whatever) and will likely be for quite a while.

Transferred from Ragnarok- Skatanic. I'll take a look for you the next time I hop on.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I forgot to say I'm on Sylph server, due to my main circle of people having characters there :( Was more looking for general advice since none of them have played since pre-FFXIV 2.0

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

General newbie advice:

1. Unlock Records of Eminence, and start poking through that and completing objectives. Focus on the Tutorial, Other, and the two Combat sections, for now.

2. Unlock Trusts. Windurst gets you Kupipi right off the bat (and a few others once you've ranked up in missions). Kupipi's a pocket healer, very helpful to have along.

3. Do the tutorial objectives that you're breadcrumbed into after starting the character, which introduce you to a number of things (and get you a free exp ring).

4. Click on every drat Home Point and Survival Guide you see to unlock them for future fast travel. (They're marked on the map.) Home point travel within your current city is free. Otherwise it's usually 500 gil to go to a town or 1000 gil to go somewhere with enemies.

5. Speaking of maps, find a map vendor and buy at least the maps of the Windurst, Bastok, San d'Oria, and Jeuno regions. That'll get you all of the major town and outdoor areas you'll be encountering for a while.

6. Find a Fields Tome (outdoors) or Grounds Tome (indoors) in an area you can easily kill things. Pick an objective you like and set it to repeat. Use that free exp ring from the tutorial quests to get a buff to exp gain. Get to killing poo poo (summon Kupipi!) and leveling up. Dismiss and re-summon Kupipi after gaining a few levels or if she runs out of MP. (Same goes for other trusts you unlock later.) Try not to fight anything higher than Decent Challenge - faster kills will be more rewarding than the higher exp-per-kill from stronger things. Between RoE and Trust and Fields/Grounds of Valor and exp ring, this will go very fast.

7. When you have the conquest points to do so, buy a "Warp Ring" with them. This has infinite charges, a 10 minute cooldown, and will return you to whatever you set as your last home point. (Like dying, minus the dying.)

8. Somewhere in the 15-20 range would be a decent time to wander over to Bastok and San d'Oria, unlocking home points and survival guides along the way. Windurst -> East Saruta -> north to Tahrongi -> east to Buburimu -> southeast to Mhaura -> ride the ferry to Selbina -> leave town to Valkurm.
- San d'Oria: northeast exit from Valkurm to La Theine -> northwest to West Ronfaure -> northeast to San d'Oria.
- Bastok: southeast exit from Valkurm to Konschtat -> south to North Gustaberg -> south to South Gustaberg -> northeast to Bastok.

9. Bastok and San d'Oria each have their own trust quest as well. Do those to unlock Naji and Excenmille, so now you can roll with a four person party (you and three trusts).

10. Somewhere in the 20-30 range would be a decent time to wander over to Jeuno, unlocking home points and survival guides along the way. You can pick any of three routes to get there:
- Windurst: from Tahrongi, northwest to Meriphataud -> northwest to Sauromugue -> northwest to Jeuno.
- Bastok: from Konschtat, northeast to Pashhow -> northeast to Rolanberry -> northeast to Jeuno.
- San d'Oria: from La Theine, east to Jugner -> northeast to Batallia -> east to Jeuno.

Vil fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 12, 2015

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

KariOhki posted:

I forgot to say I'm on Sylph server, due to my main circle of people having characters there :( Was more looking for general advice since none of them have played since pre-FFXIV 2.0

Move to a less dead server.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Why does no one use actual words in Unity chat? All I ever see is "." and "/". I don't see any shouts in town about Unity things when they do. JP thing?

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee

amusinginquiry posted:

Why does no one use actual words in Unity chat? All I ever see is "." and "/". I don't see any shouts in town about Unity things when they do. JP thing?

There is a record of eminence daily to chat in Unity chat for XP.

Also, the new update trailer is up for JP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQBkg4lnJl4&hd=1

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
So the new update patch is coming 5/15/2015 or 15/5/2015 for you weirdos that put day before month and actually make sense. I am looking forward to the new drk stuff. I hope this new update does not make my macbain complete and utter poo poo. I spent a lot on those augments.

Zombie Souffle
Feb 3, 2010
If anyone is still needing a pearl, you can do a /sea all for Kadian and if I'm online I'll come give you one. Also Gruk I didn't mean to ignore you the other day, I had just swapped out that poo poo videocard and had left a mule afk to see if the new one would crash like the old one had been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Same for me. /tell Shinjobi for a pearl. I got yer back on Asura.