Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

The bubble has gotten so big that's it's enveloped our entire economy, our politics, and our media. When it busts it's going to take everything down with it. You probably won't be able to buy a house because you won't have a job.

Well mad max is coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Can someone screen dump Negligents probation reason for those of us on the awful app.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

tithin posted:

Can someone screen dump Negligents probation reason for those of us on the awful app.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Re: bubble chat, I'm lucky enough to have a substantial amount of cash saved up ($225, 000) which is enough to buy a decent, livable 2-bedroom townhouse (example) without getting a loan large enough to put me into penury. That said, I live in Adelaide, and while I'm certainly in no rush to buy a place both due to my personal circumstances (unmarried, no kids) and given that the market in Australia is in a bubble, the adage goes that Adelaide is a city that doesn't tend to experience highs or lows nearly as much as any other cities in the country. How overheated is specifically the South Aussie property market, because most of the major analysis I can get my hands on tends to focus mainly on the East Coast?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

An Opposition media tactic to provide journalists with "suggested" scripts to introduce audio grabs from LNP MPs has raised both eyebrows and questions.

Radio journalists received an email on Wednesday afternoon with a short audio grab from LNP Leader Lawrence Springborg's speech in Parliament earlier that day, along with a "suggested introduction" in italics, from the Opposition media team.

"The state government has given the Labor Government a new title," the suggested introduction read.

"The Government last night accepted the parliamentary vote of the disgraced member for Cook, Billy Gordon, who's under investigation for alleged domestic violence.

"Lawrence Springborg says that makes it the Palaszczuk-Gordon Government."

Not all radio reporters in the Parliamentary Media Gallery received the email; the Fairfax Radio reporter did, while the ABC radio reporter did not, while other mediums were also left off.

It is standard practice for media teams, on all sides of politics to send out audio to newsrooms from press conferences to journalists, particularly those in regional areas who were unable to make it in person.

The audio is considered on merit. Often, the audio is accompanied by a press release with how the media team would like that audio framed. But it is unusual for scripts to be sent with the audio, as a cut and paste exercise. 

Fairfax Radio journalist Nick Wiggins told 4BC he considered it a "curious step".

"We are all under a bit of strain in the media these days, but we have time to write our own stories."

It is not the first time the LNP Opposition has sent out suggested scripts for radio reporters, but it is the first time it has been so explicitly set out as a "suggested script".  Previously, scripts had been sent, but without the title, either just with asterisks.

"For your use, please find attached audio-grabs of Deputy Opposition Leader John-Paul Langbroek on the importance of the Premier securing more NDIS funding," one from April 14 read.

"Mr Langbroek said it is a concern the Premier seems more concerned about what people are saying about her than securing the much needed funding for Queenslanders," it continued in italics.

"The LNP provided bi-partisan support to the Premier yesterday to go to Canberra and get the funding Queenslanders deserve."

Other emails came without suggestions.

The previous Labor Opposition regularly sent out audio to all reporters, but shied away from suggesting words to lead into the grabs.

But it did provide Labor MPs with their joke for the afternoon, with several asking reporters if the "LNP has told you what to write for your story tomorrow, yet?".

The LNP declined to comment on the strategy, allowing reporters to fill in the blanks themselves.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

QLD LNP fuckery
I wonder if they will come up with a "Choose your own adventure" for the next press release

"For the QLD LNP to get power again, turn to page 32"

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also the so called Netflix tax would have to pass the Senate, yes?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Netflix is trying to find a solution to piracy by making it cost effective enough so people feel like it's easier than torrenting

I got a great idea, let's tax it!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Taxing Netflix is basically Rupert Murdoch doing a Gerry Harvey.

Adding 10% GST to Netflix would make it still less than what Foxtell costs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would still pay for Netflix with GST, it's like $1 to $2 extra.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

I would still pay for Netflix with GST, it's like $1 to $2 extra.
But this isn't the point, it's the principal of the drat thing.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Taxing Netflix seems fair enough to me given the current tax system, I don't get the outrage, seems like it's just entitled people having a loving whinge

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does Foxtel get taxed?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

Does Foxtel get taxed?

99% sure it does

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bowmore posted:

Does Foxtel get taxed?

Maybe not

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

I think the question was on whether the service foxtel provides is subject to GST rather than whether rupes gives the ATO any donations.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

bowmore posted:

Does Foxtel get taxed?

They probably pay payroll tax and GST on things they buy in Australia, although taxable operating profits are no doubt minimised through offshore shenanigans.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

quote:

Committee for Sydney's Tim Williams backs down on motorway and WestConnex criticism
Committee of Sydney's Tim Williams: "I also apologise to members for this untypical event." Photo: Michelle Mossop

The chief executive of business lobby group the Committee for Sydney has apologised for his candid criticism of Sydney's toll-road agenda.

Tim Williams used a recent presentation at Sydney University to argue the city needed a "public transport revolution" and that "all sides" of politics had got it wrong on transport planning.

The criticism was powerful and unusual because of Mr Williams' position as head of an organisation that represents firms that might expect to benefit from the construction of new motorways, and particularly the $15 billion WestConnex project.

But in a note to members this week, as well as in a letter to the Herald, Dr Williams backed away from the criticism, saying it reflected only his personal views.

"Some members will be aware that during an unscripted speech I recently gave at Sydney University I uncharacteristically commented from a personal perspective and went beyond the formal position of the Committee without clarifying I was doing so," Dr Williams wrote in a note.

"I have apologised to all partners and to my board who have been very magnanimous although concerned for 'normal service to be resumed'," he wrote.

"I also apologise to members for this untypical event."

Dr Williams' swift backdown on the presentation - which he supported with 95 slides - underlines the sensitivities around the WestConnex project, which at 33 kilometres is the largest motorway proposal in the country.

In his presentation Dr Williams was particularly critical of the failure of motorway proponents to release detailed information justifying their projects. He also criticised the chief executive of the WestConnex Delivery Authority, Dennis Cliche, for comments by Mr Cliche dismissing the concerns of people opposed to WestConnex.

The Committee for Sydney's membership includes major engineering and construction firms such as Lend Lease, Arup, AECOM, as well as financial services organisation. A number of government agencies, such as property arm UrbanGrowth NSW, the Department of Planning and Infrastructure, and Destination NSW are also members.

The chair of the Committee is the former Lord Mayor of Sydney, Lucy Turnbull.

In Mr Williams' note this week, Ms Turnbull says: 'We will always be a platform for both collaboration and challenge to ensure Sydney gets the policies it needs. But we do this without controversy and on the basis of evidence and that will always be our approach."

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/committee-for-sydneys-tim-williams-backs-down-on-motorway-and-westconnex-criticism-20150506-ggv80r.html

Hahaha 'unscripted' accompanied by 95 slides.

edit: I read all the slides at the time and they were really on the money - what a shame he feels he needs to cave to pressure.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
100% sure foxtel charges GST, especially since they are an Australian headquartered company.

Another one would be that Microsoft does NOT charge GST on Azure*/Xbox/WindowsStore, in fact I went to a Microsoft training thing that explicitly said "We bill your apps from overseas without GST unlike apple".
(* they do charge GST on azure if you use the AU data centers)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I'm not sure if Steam have GST inclusive in the charges to Australian purchases, but their prices are identical to shelf prices in EB which do include GST.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm not sure if Steam have GST inclusive in the charges to Australian purchases, but their prices are identical to shelf prices in EB which do include GST.
Except when there is a Steam Sale, which is when most people buy games.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The sex party has been deregistered federally

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
First they came for the democrats, and I said nothing for I was not a idiot child crypto-Tory
Then they came for the sex party, and I said nothing for I was not a brothel owner

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
The federal parliament hasn't passed all the bills for last year's budget, have they? For example, there are no bills before parliament to repeal or amend the First Home Savers Account Act of 2008, and getting rid of that was part of the last year's budget.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gough Suppressant posted:

Hilarious, as they have over 6000 members apparently.

They are just stealing Green votes anyway.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Aren't they mostly okay until they were taken over by libertarians?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

And changes to make Netflix pay GST need to get through the Senate, yes?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gough Suppressant posted:

Interesting, especially since they have a member in the Victorian Upper House

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

Interesting, especially since they have a member in the Victorian Upper House

I guess at the state level they're still okay?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I need a good headline for a media release about truck traffic being a danger to kids

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Colin Barnett is an unmitigated PoS

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2015/s4227903.htm

quote:

COLIN BARNETT: I know it's an emotional issue, I know it has been stirred up a little bit and some people have been unfairly and unnecessarily alarmed. And maybe I was a bit loose with my language, I concede that.

But some have been given the impression, I think mischievously, that they'll be forced from their land or the police are going to come in and take them off the land, even suggested to me in the Pilbara by one woman that the army was going to come in.(You'd have to be really out of touch with reality to suspect those terrible things which have happened before might happen again :jerkbag:) And I'd really say to people who are spreading those sorts of rumours you are behaving in a most irresponsible way.She says the process has been marred by confusion and a lack of consultation.

-/-

TAMMY SOLENEC: It shows a complete lack of understanding of Aboriginal people and the traumatic past that we've been through. It shows a lack of empathy. We want to make sure that this process that they've done of talking about us, without us, making big high level decisions without Aboriginal people involved has to stop. We want Aboriginal people to be part of the decision making process.

LUCY MARTIN: Ms Solonec says many Indigenous people don't believe the Premier when he says only small communities could eventually have services withdrawn.
What really steams me though are remarks he made yesterday in the wake of the Federal funding windfall. I can't find a source so won't hearsay him beyond that. This is an absolutely pure example of State Federal fuckery. Feds cut funding. State announces service cuts as a result. Feds say it's a state matter and nothing to do with them. State say they can't fund it so it has to go. Funding gets returned. Policy continues because ~reasons~ (We don't need no stinking reasons :laugh: we'll all be long gone before the Royal Commision into this goes tsk tsk very loudly and by then there won't be any indigenous culture left outside of Disney movies).

It's low comedy but it's still comedy I guess.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/eric-abetz-on-new-greens-leader-richard-di-natale/6451124

quote:

Eric Abetz on new Greens leader Richard Di Natale Thursday 7 May 2015 7:36AM

Richard Di Natale's replacement of Christine Milne as Greens Leader signals a new direction for the minor party which shares the balance of power in the Senate. The new Leader has declared he favours a 'pragmatic' approach to policy which emphasises outcomes over ideology. His elevation could open fresh opportunities for the Coalition to pass stranded budget measures through the Senate. Eric Abetz is the Government Senate Leader, and joins RN Breakfast from Launceston.
You'll have to listen to the audio to get the full flavour but the highlight was him saying "On a good day the Greens get 12% of the vote not like actual major parties like the Liberal Party or the Nationals."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2013/results/party-totals/

Muppet Government

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Teaching children road safety a long stretch and a wide-load.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anidav posted:

Teaching children road safety a long stretch and a wide-load.
Sorry, forgot to mention it's about trying to get the trucks banned from the road because of the danger to kids

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Kids Before Convoys.

v: No one is suggesting that it's not a dumb idea. I think.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

bowmore posted:

Sorry, forgot to mention it's about trying to get the trucks banned from the road because of the danger to kids

How would you go about keeping supermarkets and the like supplied then? Rail is the best for freight when moving items long distance, but you still need to move it from the rail yard to the destination.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyTolradi posted:

How would you go about keeping supermarkets and the like supplied then? Rail is the best for freight when moving items long distance, but you still need to move it from the rail yard to the destination.
It's not my fight, I just write the media releases.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Graic Gabtar posted:

Increase spending on what?

Infrastructure, welfare, education, anything really. The money doesn't disappear once it leaves government coffers, it gets spent on wages or products they pay someone else's wages and so on; so as long as what it is spent on doesn't lead directly overseas that money helps stimulate spending. Of course it eventually ends up trickling back up towards the rich, so they don't stand to lose much if they get taxed a bit more to pay for the extra spending.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm seeing more and more of my younger coworkers being pressured into buying homes by their families because, "You'll never see 2% again!"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't conditions here eerily similar to the US before they hosed the entire world's economy?

And there are apparently now ads on TV advertising super low home loan interest rates. Buy! Buy! Buy!

I've told them to be careful, that they may get stuck with a house that's lost half it's value and a loan that's now twice what the property's worth.

Hopefully they're right when they say we'll never see 2% again. It isn't a good thing, and it's ironic that the best financial conditions to borrow huge sums to buy a house are caused by the worst economic/employment conditions to be borrowing huge sums of money. But never mind that, there's money to be made in it so let's offer mortgages with a $3000 deposit so everyone can get in on the game.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

bowmore posted:

It's not my fight, I just write the media releases.

Could you be really lazy and just headline it

TRUCK STOP

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

CrazyTolradi posted:

This is a bullshit argument if we are talking about large (Semi/B Double) trucks. I get most of my stuff from Melbourne and it comes all the way by road and is transhipped up to four times before I get it delivered, usually in a light van. If our rail freight network worked properly I would still get it delivered by a light van that had come ~ 1 km from the railway siding. Supermarkets might need different methods but it isn't the issue it is commonly held to be and it certainly isn't a case of transhipping is why we use trucks which is constantly the argument made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's a Kids Crossing but Trucks bossing.

• Locked thread