Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Gothmog1065 posted:

They keep advertising this whistle blower site on Hulu where you get paid. Nopiracy.org I think it was. However, you get only so much if the BSA/Software Alliance actually pursues a lawsuit and actually wins. There's a pay scale there, 15k minimum win to get paid out 5k.

You could* potentially** win*** LOTS**** of money*****!

*not
**but probably not
***Only if we sue and win
****Small timers need not apply.
*****Paid out in Bitcoins, puppies and difficulty getting a job if you get found out.

You could probably negotiate a settlement percentage.

"I'll tell you guys who we are, and provide details on internal communications telling IT staff to 'just use the copy on the NAS', which was pirated and still has the Warez group name in the folder name. In return, you give me 20% of whatever we end up paying to settle out of court with you guys to true up our licenses. Don't like it, then I guess you'll never figure out who we are, or get the ~40k in back licensing fees we owe you".

Dangle enough detail to make it a really slam dunk audit, then negotiate a percentage of the blood money. Worst case is MS declines, and you go about your day having several printed copies of your CYA paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"I'll tell you guys who we are, and provide details on internal communications telling IT staff to 'just use the copy on the NAS', which was pirated and still has the Warez group name in the folder name. In return, you give me 20% of whatever we end up paying to settle out of court with you guys to true up our licenses. Don't like it, then I guess you'll never figure out who we are, or get the ~40k in back licensing fees we owe you".

Dangle enough detail to make it a really slam dunk audit, then negotiate a percentage of the blood money. Worst case is MS declines, and you go about your day having several printed copies of your CYA paperwork.

:siren: Entrapment :siren:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Just don't send it from a hotmail account.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

m.hache posted:

:siren: Entrapment :siren:

It's not entrapment if they were already doing it, you're just doing your civic duty by reporting these incredibly malicious criminals to the proper non-judicial authority! Plus you're probably going to bail on them as soon as the hammer comes down anyways.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Didn't DickTrauma report his old idiotic boss (Tony?) and his old employer way back when? Wondered what ever came of them and his reporting them.

Nothing came of it, and it was a clear case of fraud. They probably still have machines using those pirate Win2k licenses.

I don't get much in the way of support email any more but I received this today and it made me smile:

What do you use to clean your monitor?

Also, what video card do I need to play GTA V in 4k?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Volmarias posted:

Just don't send it from a hotmail account.
Or from the office.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

wa27 posted:

The one benefit about working for a non-profit is that while they cut corners everywhere else, we can get licenses for most of our software for free or next to nothing, so everything we have is legit. Praise Microsoft.

Our only clients that sue volume licensing are the non-profits.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I was working with dial up today. On a Windows 2000 Professional machine. Whee.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

m.hache posted:

Honestly it's probably just a matter of time.

Microsoft is auditing EVERYONE. I got hit last year and we're a company of 10 employees.

Yep, we got a string of emails and phone calls to every address/phone number except the ones they should have used, for a company who no longer exists whose building we now inhabit, talking about "you're being audited!!!" until I politely told them that we are not that company. I don't even know how you could confuse the two without being phenomenally bad at reading or apathetic (both?)

Anyways I used the other-company-getting-audited emails as an excuse to force everyone to let me inventory the entire company so if/when we do get audited I can just dump all the information on them in about 15 minutes and be done with it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

wibble posted:

I had calls like that 20 years ago. We'll still have calls like that in another 20 years...

I hope in 20 years we have cybernetic brain implants that can let people do things with their mind only - so that when poo poo like this happens, I can club them in their stupid heads with a 2x4 and make an example of them

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Inspector_666 posted:

I usually get restore requests where nobody knows the name of the file/folder or any of the contents. These are of course business critical restores.

I constantly run into people, some of whom have been using computers in a professional capacity for decades, who have no concept whatsoever of how directory trees work or where the My Documents folder is or where things are normally stored in windows or what files and folders even are at a basic level. If something doesn't show up in the Recent Documents list in MS Word then it's lost in the aether for all they know.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If it's not on the desktop it may as well not exist.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

kensei posted:

I was working with dial up today. On a Windows 2000 Professional machine. Whee.

Hello time traveler. While I don't want to spoil too much of the future for you, you should probably buy a bunch of Apple stock.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bigass Moth posted:

I learned this the hard way my first month at help desk. Installed office for a user, and they absolutely flipped out and said I didn't do my job...because I didn't put shortcuts to the various office programs on their desktop.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I learned this the hard way my first month at help desk. Installed office for a user, and they absolutely flipped out and said I didn't do my job...because I didn't put shortcuts to the various office programs on their desktop.

A large chunk of tickets for "Install Software" are actually "Add shortcut to X on my desktop"

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A large chunk of tickets for "Install Software" are actually "Add shortcut to X on my desktop"

:phone: Can you install powerpoint on my machine please?
:phoneb: It's on the standard build

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When I install Office I "pin to start menu" and "pin to taskbar" for all of the components of whatever version of office they have.

Also, new hardware deployment: 6 workstations need x86 win7 pro because of a database program that hasn't changed significantly since 1988.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ponzicar posted:

Hello time traveler. While I don't want to spoil too much of the future for you, you should probably buy a bunch of Apple stock.

If only

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
New guy's laptop has been acting up ever since he started. Looked at it several times.
Finally did a couple BSoDs yesterday, dude pulled me out of a meeting to try and fix it. Decide to swap it for a replacement machine. Get it spun up, deliver about 3 yesterday. Due to the ASAP nature it was still encrypting.

Cue this morning. Still encrypting (yes, dumbass had turned it off overnight) and dumbass was complaining more that its so slow (no poo poo, its still encrypting). Fuckit. swap him for a temp laptop to use while he new machine is encrypting.

Fucker sends an email to the CEO complaining. That his machine never worked right despite his vocal complaints (1 ticket in 2 months relating to speed, he'd always just been emailing me direct), that we swapped it for a slower machine (told you, fucker, its still encrypting), and that he wanted to know who to talk to about getting it fixed.

Cue a closed door meeting with my boss. Explain whats happening, boss is understanding and laughing at the rear end in a top hat.

The machine finishes encrypting, and I return it to the rear end in a top hat.

Then the dude brings over his boss and the office head boss to discuss the issue. The new machine is still slow, he told it to do a task that normally takes 10 seconds and went and had a whole conversation with his boss without it finishing. In fact, its still sitting on the screen and he wants the temp laptop back and a brand new replacement for each on his team having issues (nope).

Walk over to his machine...he's got an error box up behind the window saying [app] can't find a file on the web and would he like to use a local cache'd version.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What happens if you tell MS to get bent when they try and audit you?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Moey posted:

Bend over. Here comes the lawyer barrage.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Moey posted:

Better to say "Sure, we run 100% *nix"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Moey posted:

You will lose badly

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Ah. But what rights does one company have to investigate another company?

Edit: I guess audits are done by the BSA abd not MS?

Moey fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 7, 2015

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Moey posted:

They have whatever rights the judge gives them as part of the civil judgement.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Moey posted:

You've given them tacit approval by agreeing to the EULA. Past that, its a question of who has better lawyers.

Remember, you don't own Microsoft's products. You have however purchased the right to run and operate their software if properly licensed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Microsoft audits are awful. We had one last year that decided we were somehow 200 licenses in arrears in a company of ~150 and we ended up sending them a spreadsheet of every single machine we have and its key, after which they started an extended argument about how a large chunk of our machines were registered to a key that wasn't part of our licensing agreement so we needed to buy an extra license for each of those machines, and no what do you mean your OEM ships them that way that's not possible.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm half tempted to rat out my company for Microsoft licensing since our purchase requests for proper licensing keep getting ignored. I'm hoping when all of our Server 2k3 boxes hit EOL that will finally push the issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. :smith:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boogalo posted:

:phone: Can you install powerpoint on my machine please?
:phoneb: It's on the standard build

:phone: Hey firefox is not on my computer so I tried to install it myself
:phoneb: <gets report from sccm while user is claiming firefox was not installed> It was deployed with the computer. Standard image.
:phone: No, it wasn't there. So, when I installed it, I got this warning don't know what it meant I just clicked OK and I have firefox now.
:phoneb: 'Kay.

It's sometimes easier to just let the user believe whatever s/he wants to believe. If someone comes after me, I have that report tucked away.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sorry about your stroke.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

Sorry about your stroke.

What is a private logon any way?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Crowley posted:

What is a private logon any way?

We use job-related logons for rotating shift positions (Assistant Driller is assdriller@company.com), but all employees also have their own logon for webmail and timesheets and such, so he is probably referring to that. There is of course also the VPN client, intranet portal, Citrix portal etc etc etc, all which can be a little much to keep track of for someone who has spent the last 40 years working on heavy machinery in the North Sea.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

please do not post my email address

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I love when people say stuff like "Always something new!" or "You guys are always changing things!".

It's Sharepoint. The login procedure has been the same for two years now.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Neito posted:

I love when people say stuff like "Always something new!" or "You guys are always changing things!".

It's Sharepoint. The login procedure has been the same for two years now.

With referral to the previously mentioned assdrillers, I'm guessing that everything in the North Sea has been the same for the last 40 years, because anything new is a scary inconvenient cause for panic, swearing and complaining. Doesn't matter what it is, if it is a logon screen, new laptop with exact same OS, software and image, widescreen instead of 4:3, desk phone and on and on and on. If it's changed to new, it's inconceivable, scary and bad, and the way they have been doing things for the last 40 years is the correct one.

We have also had people working here for over 20 years without ever seeing the intranet webpage or creating a helpdesk ticket. They think they are still rogue pioneer roughnecks building the country piece by piece, and not pawns in a multinational Big Oil corporation.

evobatman fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 7, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Bigass Moth posted:

Constantly, this. For some reason Filezilla's shortcut routinely removes itself from the desktops of the computers in the newsroom and I have yet to figure out why it does this, but you can bet I'll start getting pissed off reporters demanding to know why I uninstalled Filezilla.

This also happens with their Youtube video downloader.

:downs: Where is my youtube downloader
:v: It should be in the start menu if it's not on the desktop
:downs:...
:v:...
:downs:...Where is my youtube downloader

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

larchesdanrew posted:

Constantly, this. For some reason Filezilla's shortcut routinely removes itself from the desktops of the computers in the newsroom and I have yet to figure out why it does this, but you can bet I'll start getting pissed off reporters demanding to know why I uninstalled Filezilla.

This also happens with their Youtube video downloader.

:downs: Where is my youtube downloader
:v: It should be in the start menu if it's not on the desktop
:downs:...Where is my youtube downloader

Put the shortcuts in the Desktop folder of the ALL USERS directory. You might have to login as Administrator to do this. Then they cannot delete them, at least not permanently.

I do this with anything that every needs to ahve so it is always there. If it is a dynamic shortcut I use a logon script to put it on the desktop but for standard programs the above works perfect.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Trastion posted:

Put the shortcuts in the Desktop folder of the ALL USERS directory. You might have to login as Administrator to do this. Then they cannot delete them, at least not permanently.

I do this with anything that every needs to ahve so it is always there. If it is a dynamic shortcut I use a logon script to put it on the desktop but for standard programs the above works perfect.

I've done that and it seems to be deleting itself from the All Users folder? I'm just resigned to the fact that gently caress this gently caress that nothing will ever work here have some more bandaids

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
We pin Word and Excel to the Start Menu, and pin Outlook to the taskbar. If you can't figure it out after that, tough loving poo poo. I'll be sure to let your boss know that you are incapable of fulfilling the requirements of your job position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Trastion posted:

Or leverage Group Policy for configuration management and eliminate the issue completely? It is entirely possible that everyone in his environment are admins also.

• Locked thread