Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kekekela posted:

I just got one of those custom fitted mouthpieces and I feel like I've died and claimed my 70 virgins. Its sooooooo much better than a boil-and-bite, I knew it was gonna be an improvement but really I just wanted cool red teeth graphics and I had no idea how awesome this would really be.

Put your mouthpiece in and come roll friend... gonna be in at night class anytime soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

General Emergency posted:

It would probably be safer too if the contestants weren't so massive.

Yeah, but then it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah, wish we had classical music. we have Rollin, the Pride & UFC themes, HHH's theme, that Sia song and an Eddie Bravo song. actually, that kinda rules. I rarely notice music when rolling though.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

The Darlok posted:

Put your mouthpiece in and come roll friend... gonna be in at night class anytime soon?

Maaaaybe...but I've been trying to hit Palm Harbor lately when I go at night. Why have you not been posting of your MMA triumphs?

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Aikido taught me very little physically but I sure do ask myself "do I need to fight this or do I need to just glide on by" a lot. In this case you should glide on by with that unfriend button.

The guy deleted the post after he got a lot of backlash from many of his friends who had done martial arts at one time or currently doing them. Best part was that some of his female friends in my city asked about my girlfriend's BJJ gym after my "friend" began to backpedal from his post then deleting it. They rolled with her last night, now they are signing up for BJJ.

He is all upset about this because he was hoping that his friends were going to LARP with him, but it is not going to happen now since everyone is getting the impression he is a sexist douche canoe.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
*bows and sheathes invisible katana*

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Does anyone here have any experince with training Muay Thai with herniated discs. I have just been diagnosed with two slightly herniated discs in my lower back, probably since an injury from a wieightlifting injurylast autumn. This has resulted in fairly severe back pain from takedowns practice in MMA class twice now, the last time resulting in some pretty annoying leg pains once the back pains ceased. My physical therapist has pretty much told me that martial arts training is out if I don't want the back pain to return, and I'm sadly thinking that anything wrestling related will have to stop, at least for the foreseable future. However I kind of hope that striking might still be possible and I wonder if anyone here has any experince with the same problem.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i would ask my doctor. or if i lived in the united states of america i would shoot myself in the head with a firearm instead of going to the doctor

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I will discuss it with my doctor, but it is also interesting to hear if anyone has any personal experience with similar issues.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
What martial arts have a teal belt? There was a guy at my gym on Monday wearing one, so I assume he was just wearing the gi & belt from whatever he normally trains in.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
could be a worn blue or green belt?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Slaapaav posted:

could be a worn blue or green belt?

It was definitely bright teal; not faded looking at all.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

DekeThornton posted:

I will discuss it with my doctor, but it is also interesting to hear if anyone has any personal experience with similar issues.

I posted a few pages back but I am likely in a similar position. I aggravated an old back injury ( again ) doing squats in BJJ and it's now I think 3-4 weeks later and I still get pain - usually not when rolling ( although bridging in the wrong way sucks ) but always when doing stand-up ( anything involving me bending at the waste ) and either as a result of/concurrent with what feels like a severely pulled and/or damaged butt muscle/hamstring.

My Dr. sent me for xrays which I just got done so I'm not 100% sure I have herniated discs ( he thinks it likely ) but he generally said that "if it hurts, or makes you hurt, don't do it". Which I am resisting because damnit I'm just starting to get into the swing of things and I'm getting old now. I've tried just about every martial art out there and finally found one that clicks so if there is no BJJ then I'm probably done with MA's for the rest of my life. Although I suppose there is always Tai Chi or something with no impact.

Anyway - I haven't gone back to MT ( yet - maybe I will try ) but as a non-medical professional with a possibly similar injury I would say generally that there is a high possibility even in MT of you hurting your back from a take down ( catching a leg kick and then dropping you ), a failed head kick ( with poor recovery ) or a really jerky/frantic dodge/block/slip. I don't know how sensitive you are though for what tweaks it. For me my back never hurt in MT - except for bad break falls from said leg catches - but those don't really get frequently trained ( in my limited experience ). I imagine as long as you are not a dunce, only work the pads/bags, don't do head kicks and do light sparring ( emphasizing no take downs after a leg catch ) you'd probably be OK. I think the safer bet would be Tai Chi. :smith:

Edit - Holy poo poo - or Boxing actually. I think you could do boxing without any sort of repercussions as long as you don't tweak your back when turning your torso or doing dips/slps.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 6, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

He is all upset about this because he was hoping that his friends were going to LARP with him, but it is not going to happen now since everyone is getting the impression he is a sexist douche canoe.

I still desperately want to see a picture of this guy

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.

Kekekela posted:

Maaaaybe...but I've been trying to hit Palm Harbor lately when I go at night. Why have you not been posting of your MMA triumphs?

Partly because I hardly post and also partly because I thought at some point that would be a actual high quality video posted of the event (and also partly cause I feel bad for not finishing the guy). Still waiting on that video... I worked late tonight and got to West like 25 minutes late just to find out that class was cancelled. Palm Harbor is so far away for me right now...

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Keg posted:

It was definitely bright teal; not faded looking at all.
you at a BJJ gym? Could be a Daniel Valverde BJJ student (they do mostly no-gi) . Or judo if you were doing stand up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

you at a BJJ gym? Could be a Daniel Valverde BJJ student (they do mostly no-gi) . Or judo if you were doing stand up.

Judo doesn't have teal. wyogbbb

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
my bad it was probably five ancestor fist kung fu or something.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TollTheHounds posted:

Edit - Holy poo poo - or Boxing actually. I think you could do boxing without any sort of repercussions as long as you don't tweak your back when turning your torso or doing dips/slps.

Boxers famously have sore backs. All the physical exercises involved, and the constant body rotation from the punches fucks with it. And yeah, I've tweaked my back slipping a hook - twice.

So, umm, if you have back issues, they'll come out in boxing just as much as with anything, sorry to say :(

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll have to wait and see. For the moment it's strictly rehab training anyway. The issue haven't been twisting motions and being taken down, so far. It's been when I've taken others down and lifted with sloppy form, which tends to happen when lifting soemone who doesn't want to be lifted.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Sword and buckler killed my back last night, it was amazing

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Google tells me that teal is kind-of-green, could it be a kids program green belt?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

Boxers famously have sore backs. All the physical exercises involved, and the constant body rotation from the punches fucks with it. And yeah, I've tweaked my back slipping a hook - twice.

So, umm, if you have back issues, they'll come out in boxing just as much as with anything, sorry to say :(

I've never hurt my back because I throw arm punches all day and studiously avoid listening to my instructor

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Smart man

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Ligur posted:

WELL, I guess I was thinking more in terms of how my back hurts - which isn't how his (or anyone else's ) might. For me the pain isn't from body rotation ( lateral? side to side ) but from bending forward at the waist.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How come gi grappling translates so badly to no-gi grappling? The techniques are basically the same but I'm still very surprised how a person can be very good at one and very bad at another. Even getting over- and underhooks seems to be very hard.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
the grips are completely different. i have no idea how to work the gi because i trained for like a year before i rolled with a gi. all my game was based around having the worlds longest legs and flexible hips and having a million triangle setups from closed guard. now im doing 90% gi after being gone for like 5 years and everything is just wrong....

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

How come gi grappling translates so badly to no-gi grappling? The techniques are basically the same but I'm still very surprised how a person can be very good at one and very bad at another. Even getting over- and underhooks seems to be very hard.

It's not a vastly different animal, but you can't just go from Gi to No-Gi or No-Gi to Gi, the Gi or lack there of makes somethings weird. As someone who made the transition from No-Gi to Gi, I found the going from a small amount of handles to control someone with, to now having a bajillion handles to control someone with made it some what easier, but now I have to watch out for people grabbing my collar to choke me, and it being harder to pass the guard.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
we've been doing no gi once a week and aye it's entirely different. our coaches were emphasizing how important body to body pressure is (no hooks to hold yourself / them in place), and speed (obviously). I love it. feel much less restricted.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Slaapaav posted:

the grips are completely different. i have no idea how to work the gi because i trained for like a year before i rolled with a gi. all my game was based around having the worlds longest legs and flexible hips and having a million triangle setups from closed guard. now im doing 90% gi after being gone for like 5 years and everything is just wrong....

The difference really baffles me. Like even if you go straight MMA and you've got judo base you still get those throws once you clinch, because you usually get the over- and underhooks or one overhook and other arm around your opponents neck, which is basically the same as regular judo grips. You also are kinda straight because you don't want a knee in your face, so it really is not that different. With combat sambo even less so because of the kurtka.

But for fucks sake going no-gi is a nightmare. It's slippery as poo poo and you are very much bend over because of double and single legs, there are no sleeves, belts or collars so it seems (?) like you can't establish a grip first and then work from there, you have to immediatedly throw once you get a chance. A lot of bjj people don't even seem to wan't clinch either because they only go for the legs, so if I clinch, they immediatedly want to get away. On the ground it's the same thing.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

The difference really baffles me. Like even if you go straight MMA and you've got judo base you still get those throws once you clinch, because you usually get the over- and underhooks or one overhook and other arm around your opponents neck, which is basically the same as regular judo grips. You also are kinda straight because you don't want a knee in your face, so it really is not that different. With combat sambo even less so because of the kurtka.

But for fucks sake going no-gi is a nightmare. It's slippery as poo poo and you are very much bend over because of double and single legs, there are no sleeves, belts or collars so it seems (?) like you can't establish a grip first and then work from there, you have to immediatedly throw once you get a chance. A lot of bjj people don't even seem to wan't clinch either because they only go for the legs, so if I clinch, they immediatedly want to get away. On the ground it's the same thing.

If you're looking for grips, think Wrists, Ankles, Back of Neck, Feet, four of your opponents fingers, Underhooks, and over hook, and do some high school/ collegiate wrestling research. If you're just grabbing blindly for things like shins, upper forearms, thighs, the minute he moves your gonna not have grips any more.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Since you're on the topic of gis, are there any videos of people doing full out MMA stuff in gis? Do people even do that anywhere? I'd love to see how wearing actual clothes mixes stuff up, since I've gone back to HEMA recently and the wrestling manuals are written with properly dressed gentlemen in mind.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
no gi is great because if your poo poo isnt iron tight then they will just slip out.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I've been trying to figure out how to contribute to this discussion without going overboard with the wall of text, so here's a recent Firas Zahabi training vid that highlights some points I wanted to make about gi/nogi standup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHpOTLYZ2xw

E: I'm big on the upright posture exemplified here because of how it benefits your balance and mobility. Just gotta gripfight aggressively, and be ready to sprawl to front headlock if they try to duck under for a shot. No reason to shuffle around like the hunchback of notre dame

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 7, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Siivola posted:

Since you're on the topic of gis, are there any videos of people doing full out MMA stuff in gis?

Pankration has gi divisions sometimes, I believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVGGPi84p2Y

And combat sambo has striking and kurtkas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJd9gvUL4G4

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

KildarX posted:

If you're looking for grips, think Wrists, Ankles, Back of Neck, Feet, four of your opponents fingers, Underhooks, and over hook, and do some high school/ collegiate wrestling research. If you're just grabbing blindly for things like shins, upper forearms, thighs, the minute he moves your gonna not have grips any more.

Basically this is my problem. My judo is a bit of wrestling-ish, I like to do things like arm spin/throw from overhook, arm drag to tani-otoshi or ura-nage, seoi-otoshi from overhook and all kinds of lateral spins and poo poo. I just can't seem to hold the grip, I've been grappling with much bigger guys who muscle themselves out of many situations but still. With judo your grip fighting can neutralize a lot of opponents strength, I just don't know how to dop the same thing from no-gi yet.

Is it harder to go from gi to njo-gi or no-gi to gi?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

Basically this is my problem. My judo is a bit of wrestling-ish, I like to do things like arm spin/throw from overhook, arm drag to tani-otoshi or ura-nage, seoi-otoshi from overhook and all kinds of lateral spins and poo poo. I just can't seem to hold the grip, I've been grappling with much bigger guys who muscle themselves out of many situations but still. With judo your grip fighting can neutralize a lot of opponents strength, I just don't know how to dop the same thing from no-gi yet.

Is it harder to go from gi to njo-gi or no-gi to gi?

Depends on who does your training I'd imagine, if your school focused on utilizing the Gi for everything from passing guard to choking to putting your opponent in the correct position for an Arm Bar, than going to No-Gi would be pretty difficult. On the other hand, in No-Gi you can pretty much rely on raw speed and pressure to pass the guard which works when you don't have someone gripping on your collar and arm sleeve for dear life, also as an anecdote I didn't really start to recognize that my opponents hand on my collar while I'm in my opponents guard was a thing I couldn't just ignore for a few weeks during rolling, so I ended up being cross collared way more than I probably should have.

So I guess the answer is "depends".

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Siivola posted:

Since you're on the topic of gis, are there any videos of people doing full out MMA stuff in gis? Do people even do that anywhere? I'd love to see how wearing actual clothes mixes stuff up, since I've gone back to HEMA recently and the wrestling manuals are written with properly dressed gentlemen in mind.

I did combat sambo for a year and a half, wasn't happy with gym and quit, but the sport itself is very interesting. Kurtka limites your striking very much, like you can most of the time only strike two or three times or only once before you already grappling. If you get too happy with the striking, you'll get thrown. You also don't have to set up the throws so much, because often you just continue the opponents movement and take him down that way. With judo, you have the "basic technique" throws and you have the adjusted "competition versions", but with combat sambo you get perfect situations for those basic techniques. For example uki-goshi is a throw you really don't do in randori or competition but it honestly works perfectly with combat sambo, thanks to striking.

It also is very satisfying to throw an opponent that is using all of his weapons. My favorite training memories are sparring with a very good kickboxer in combat sambo who really coudn't grapple, so I threw him 50 times with ippon throws for 4 minutes and he couldn't do jack, because he just tried to kickbox.

Fedor is a combat sambo dude, his hilghlights are great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W81APUPoZAo

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cheers, both of you. This is exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Interesting to hear the struggle with gi vs nogi because I find it pretty simple to transition. I struggle with submissions in nogi and find I get my guard passed a little more, but otherwise it's a pretty neutral transition. Obviously there's some adjustment period and a dude who trains nogi most of the time will be ahead but it doesn't blow my mind and my matches tend to go the same (ie beat me in gi, beat me no gi).

I've consciously tried to avoid too much reliance on the gi and had some no gi work mixed in all my training time. so maybe that's why it's not bad. I still do a lot of collar stuff in gi but I switch to over/under or single collar (depending on position and goal) and find it feels similar enough.

One thing you have to mentally adjust to is the ranges of no gi. You have to work from much more inside.

• Locked thread