Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
So I have a DEU parade coming up in 2 days. Is there anyone here that knows a place in Edmonton that make those DEU name tags? I took mine off my jacket and put it exactly where I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CP Gear with priority shipping?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Any engraving place at a mall does the white text on black background ones. Air force ones are harder to find.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
-

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 7, 2016

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
Thanks for the ideas! I did end up finding my old name tag though, I'll keep that in mind if I need last minute name tags again.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

ToeShoes posted:

Thanks for the ideas! I did end up finding my old name tag though, I'll keep that in mind if I need last minute name tags again.

It wouldn't hurt to get a few spares, just in case.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Vadoc posted:

It wouldn't hurt to get a few spares, just in case.

Ya, I ordered a few backups through the QM and they gave me like 12. I've been out of the army for almost 4 years and I'm still finding those cocksuckers.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hey so um apparently those CAF guys in Ukraine that are nowhere near a conflict zone

Yeah Ukraine has asked to use them as peacekeepers. I like this approach, it's smart. It will work out excellently for all parties involved. "So the Russians have no problems shooting OUR guys, maybe they'll have a bit of a problem shooting YOUR guys instead"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Another article came out about how bad Sexual Misconduct is in the Forces.

"The Canadian Armed Forces are marred by a “sexualized culture” that disproportionately affects lower-ranking female members, and most victims of sexual misconduct don’t report the wrongdoing, a sweeping report has found.

Still, Canada’s top military officer refused to promise to enact the main recommendation in the hard-hitting report, namely the creation of a fully independent agency to receive complaints of inappropriate sexual conduct and offer support to victims of assault and harassment. The United States, Australia and European countries such as France have already created organizations that are outside of the chain of command to deal with the reluctance of victims to come forward with complaints to their superiors."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/report-says-canadian-armed-forces-marred-by-sexualized-culture/article24187636/

CDS is dropping the ball pretty hard IMO.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hahaha it's literally season two of House of Cards, amazing.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Anyone have any specific knowlege of dress regs w/r/t cap badges?

Short story is that the CoC is telling us we have to go back to cornflakes all of a sudden.

I've been looking through the dress regs but the actual PDF is ambiguous. Does anybody have any experience in this area?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

This was the source of some discussion in Trenton, which felt like wasted effort cause it wasn't uncommon to see a guy walking around with his wedge on effing backwards but that's beside the point. It depends significantly on what you are. If you're combat arms this may be allowed because of article 4.3.6 of the CF Dress Instructions:

4.3.6: "Combat Arms pers shall receive regimental cap and collar badges IAW regimental directives"

A "regimental directive" could conceivably include "All you fuckers are wearing tri-service badges", but I can't imagine such a directive would be seen as wise or popular. Those guys work fuckin' hard for those things and they wear them with significant pride, I wouldn't wanna be the guy to try to take it away.

The other wear instructions are, unsurprisingly, all "shall"s:

4.2(a) "All qualified CF members shall wear branch cap badges as detailed in Annex D, except [generals, Army colonels and HCols, Chaplains, Legal, Dental, Medical pers, the CFCWO, Infanteers and the Armour Corps]"

4.2.15 All non-General Officers and all NCMs shall wear a metal or embroidered branch cap badge; except for those who choose to wear optional wire embroidered versions as long as they don't look like poo poo and the wear is not a Regimental O or a CWO.

4.2.18. All armoured and infantry ranks with a regimental affiliation (e.g., RCRs) shall wear authorized regimental cap and collar badges; new members of those trades without a regiment wear branch badges. (What is 'authorized' could be up to your old man)

4.2.19 CICs wear only CIC badges because lol CIC

So far as I can tell the cornflake is only mentioned once by name in the dress regs, where it says you have to be issued one upon enrolment. It's mentioned again when they specify that ROTP officers who flunk out have to wear one until they're out-out (4.3.13).

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
That was the ambiguity i meant, yeah.
There's another mention of cap badges later;
(3-4-3)

7. Members of branches other than combat arms
shall receive branch badges in accordance with the
procedures established by individual Branch Advisers.

We're a bunch of Air Force 2lts.
They don't really like us here, they tell us we're all arrogant babies. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just gently caress gently caress games.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Yeah. Commissioned officers probably shouldn't be wearing cornflakes, but if they've got you guys on course or something they can meddle pretty freely with your uniform and there's not a lot you can do about it. If you're actually trades qualified and on useful duty and they have you walking around looking like idiots, shoot an email to DHH and ask.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
We're all on course, not even a trade related one at that, sounds like we need to get new berets for our last 6 weeks here.
God bless peacetime army.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Attire Irony posted:

We're all on course

Ding.

Now I wanna see you bastards down here in Oxfords, rain suit pants, DEU long sleeve shirts, gabardines and helmets. No medals. You have two minutes. MOVE.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So how about that "we accidentally showed a bunch of JTF-2 guys bare-faced behind the PM" thing, huh?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I'm sure they'll be richly rewarded with a fascinating career long posting out of harm's way to Gagetown. :laugh:

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
my CoC wanted to put written warnings in the records of atheist troops who didn't attend church parade, and another fellow whose on probationary status at a bank (i.e. a real, motherfucking job). Got in a screaming match when I explained that they can't force people to go to church. I won, but it shouldn't even have come to that in the first place.

Who would have known? Mod 1 of PLQ was actually useful for something.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Barrakketh posted:

my CoC wanted to put written warnings in the records of atheist troops who didn't attend church parade, and another fellow whose on probationary status at a bank (i.e. a real, motherfucking job). Got in a screaming match when I explained that they can't force people to go to church. I won, but it shouldn't even have come to that in the first place.

Good on you, standing up for your troops.

What kind of happy horseshit is written warnings for skipping church? That's some serious chickenshit.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Barrakketh posted:

That's pretty awful. I do know that, like it or not, religion snaked its way into a lot of functions - mess dinners, men's xmas dinner, etc, but it was usually just to the extent of the padre saying grace or a prayer. Conducting administrative action against troops who don't attend church is something that I can see being grieved to an ombudsman or CHRC.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

No CO who's ever had a thought in his head would let it get even that far, and if your CO is that daft the Base Commander would literally poo poo on his desk.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Their reasoning is that Church parade is the "culmination of the work we have done throughout the year, highlights your contribution to the regiment, and highlights the importance of our regiment in this city."

No, buddy. You just don't want to look like a retard leading a guard that's outnumbered by the band and Colour party with the rest of Montreal glaring at you from their cars and the sidewalk, wondering who these assholes in skirts are and why the SPVM is blocking them from getting onto Sherbrooke Street. Don't they know there's a loving Alouettes game this sunday?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've never heard of a church parade but I'm air force so :shrug:?

Bowing my head for the padre's prayer at a mess dinner is more than made up for by standing on the table anyways.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

RIP navy

quote:

At the core of the matter is a question. How much of a premium do Canadians want to pay to get a made-in-Canada Navy? ...Even traditional maritime giants often decide to send the work offshore in order to save a ton of money. [The British Navy] is building four new naval supply ships at the Daewoo shipyard in South Korea, for roughly $1.1 billion (Canadian). That's for all four. By contrast, Canada plans to build just two supply ships in Vancouver for $2.6 billion. That's right: our ships will be will be roughly five times more costly than the British ones. The difference is … theirs are nearly twice as big.

Or consider Denmark, where they're doing the design work on Canada's new fleet of Arctic patrol ships...When the finishing work is done — in Denmark — the total cost of the ship is estimated at just under $100 million. But do the math. Five Canadian patrol ships for $3.5 billion … that's about $700 million apiece, or seven times what the Danes are paying.

This shipbuilding contract could retire with a pension by the time it gets done. :canada:

e. We could hire Korea/Denmark to build the supply and patrol boats for about 1 billion dollars combined, give 8000 dockworkers half a million cash, and still come out a billion dollars ahead.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 17, 2015

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
But how would that benefit the Conservative Party voter base Canadian taxpayer?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/documents-show-navy-mechanics-had-to-use-ebay-to-find-ship-parts-1.2379240

So apparently they had to use eBay to find spare parts to keep HMCS Preserver going for a little while longer.

I'm pretty sure not even in the deep dark days of the 90's did poo poo get THIS bad.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, eBay didn't get really popular until like 97, so I'm sure if they could have they would have.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I got nothing for searching ebay.ca for "canadian oiler engine parts".

I really want to know what it is the navy was typing in to get what they needed.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kazinsal posted:

I really want to know what it is the navy was typing in to get what they needed.

well ya you're just gonna get a lot of memorabilia from a lovely hockey team.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Kazinsal posted:

Just hop on a DWAN and see if the search history was "Korean War memorabilia" or "museum foreclosure exhibits for sale". Similar terms should net you the results you're looking for; the last one sure did for C-130 parts.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ruse posted:

Just hop on a DWAN and see if the search history was "Korean War memorabilia" or "museum foreclosure exhibits for sale". Similar terms should net you the results you're looking for; the last one sure did for C-130 parts.

I'm not actually a Forces member, I just like it here :eng99:

(I have considered joining quite a bit, but I'm out of shape as all hell and have a few medical issues I need to sort out first. And I'm in college still.)

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

If it makes any difference, and if you have a local regiment, being in the reserves is a cool job to have in college. Works really well with the student schedule, and there are usually some sort of Reserves-only bursaries available. Although with the last round of cuts I believe the Education Reimbursement program was ended so it's maybe not quite as good as it was.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

education reimbursement is still happening.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Barrakketh posted:

education reimbursement is still happening.

I thought there was something like a year or 2 ago saying how all education benefits were being cut massively almost into non-existence

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I thought the Army was in bad shape, but I didn't know how bad things could get.

Maybe we'd still have M109s if 2 Horse was a little more eBay savvy.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I (anecdotally) heard that a TCR traded some of their consoles for museum showpieces because they were in better condition. Considering the replacement is already 2 years behind it's initial scheduled delivery, I'd believe it.

Also gently caress me sideways, I wound up on the army.ca forums after googling some regs. The place is like one huge unironic FYAD circle jerk of veteran fellatio, 'back in my day' bullshit, and lovely uninformed opinions. military.txt, i guess :smith:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Of course they had to hit eBay, they already stripped the museums bare of working parts.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Guest2553 posted:

I (anecdotally) heard that a TCR traded some of their consoles for museum showpieces because they were in better condition. Considering the replacement is already 2 years behind it's initial scheduled delivery, I'd believe it.

Also gently caress me sideways, I wound up on the army.ca forums after googling some regs. The place is like one huge unironic FYAD circle jerk of veteran fellatio, 'back in my day' bullshit, and lovely uninformed opinions. military.txt, i guess :smith:

Never go on army.ca, its a loving cesspool of idiots and out of touch old men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Good for finding regs though since it's full of Barracks Lawyers.

Although the answer will probably include "Back in (West Germany/Cyprus/Kosovo) we did it like THIS. Troops these days have it too easy."