Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

dordreff posted:

i too fear for the future of my untaxed anime titties

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there. My anime titties are going to be taxed?

TIME FOR VIOLENT REVOLT WHO IS WITH ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there. My anime titties are going to be taxed?

TIME FOR VIOLENT REVOLT WHO IS WITH ME

You have my so large as to be totally unliftable let alone usable sword.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Murodese posted:

The funniest part of all of this is Foxtel pretending that if Netflix were forced to pay GST it'd somehow make up the pricing difference

They still have to do it though, even if it stops just a few percent of people switching the Netflix that is more money for Foxtel. Pretty good investment considering the LNP is basically eating out of their hand and is really cheap to lobby.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
I oppose Netflix being taxed because I oppose the GST and any expansion of it, but yeah if this is the first thing that's gotten somebody worked up about the GST they have skewed priorities

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I would rather them go after the millionaires and corporations that don't pay any tax than go after the tiny amount of disposable income I have left every month via the GST

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I thought I was already a non-voting member of the Australian Sex Party.

In looking for my membership card I figured I'd have gotten an email from them when i signed up.

Searched my Email for "Sex Party"

Find many old conversations with my ex.
several heart wrenching

:sigh:

quote:

Thank you for your Payment
Payment Receipt
Date: 07-05-15

The Australian Sex Party
Description
Membership payment the Australian Sex Party to the value of $50.00

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Why would you want to be a member of the Sex Party, especially a non-voting one?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

Why would you want to be a member of the Sex Party, especially a non-voting one?

Because you use the keys in the bowl method obviously.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

open24hours posted:

It could be worse, it could be an ALP membership.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

It could be worse, it could be an ALP membership.

Yeah at least the sex party tells you it's a non voting one.

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating
International tax is crazy. I can order motorcycle gear from Germany and receive a discount of 19% because their VAT doesn't apply to orders outside the EU. Even with postage, overall it's almost half the price importing stuff from the other side of the world.

I don't know what the economic sense is for Germany to not collect tax from companies exporting from within Germany?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did someone say titty tax?

quote:

India: The Breast Tax

In the early 1800s, women of some low castes in India had to pay a tax called mulakkaram ("breast tax") if they wanted to cover their chests when they went outside of their homes. This type of modesty was considered a privilege of upper caste ladies.

The tax rate was high, and varied according to the size and attractiveness of the breasts in question.

In 1840, a woman in the town of Cherthala, Kerala refused to pay the tax. In protest, she cut off her breasts and presented them to the tax collectors.

She died of blood loss later that night, but the tax was repealed the next day.

http://asianhistory.about.com/od/governmentandlaw/tp/worsttaxes.htm

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Sales tax is usually conceived of as a consumption tax and is supposed to paid in the place the product is consumed. Australian companies can sell goods internationally without charging GST, and if they couldn't it'd make our exports even more uncompetitive.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kommando posted:

I thought I was already a non-voting member of the Australian Sex Party.

Why don't you become a voting member? Don't let the Sexies die out, man! :(

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Shouldn't you be trying to get people to sign up to the democrats though?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sure, but Kommando would have to leave the Sex Party first, and it would be sad if they died out because the fact that there exists an Australian Sex Party is one of the best things about Australian politics.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but when I was shopping around for a political party to join I had considered the Sex Party as my second choice if the Democrats turned out to not be a viable option.

If anyone seriously and unironically wants to join the Dems, though, they can PM me with their name and what state they live in and I can forward them on to the relevant State Organizer.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

Sure, but Kommando would have to leave the Sex Party first, and it would be sad if they died out because the fact that there exists an Australian Sex Party is one of the best things about Australian politics.

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but when I was shopping around for a political party to join I had considered the Sex Party as my second choice if the Democrats turned out to not be a viable option.

If anyone seriously and unironically wants to join the Dems, though, they can PM me with their name and what state they live in and I can forward them on to the relevant State Organizer.

Hope your third choice fares better

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

ScreamingLlama posted:

yeah mate i'll do it

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

But how can you join a party that doesn't exist, has no sitting members and has been fully replaced by The Greens?

It's not like Mario Kart, no Bullet Bill is going to put you in first place again, Dem Dems are done for. Forever.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

ScreamingLlama posted:

I'm interested to know what specific points of Greens policy you disagree with.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

But how can you join a party that doesn't exist, has no sitting members and has been fully replaced by The Greens?

It's not like Mario Kart, no Bullet Bill is going to put you in first place again, Dem Dems are done for. Forever.

AHEM. We're still registered on the state level, right across the board. Only our federal registration is in peril and the appeal is still underway.

Drugs posted:

yeah mate i'll do it

Waiting for your private message if you're serious

blacksun posted:

I'm interested to know what specific points of Greens policy you disagree with.

I think we should have nuclear power.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

ScreamingLlama posted:

Why don't you become a voting member? Don't let the Sexies die out, man! :(

I just did.

I didnt find my membership card or email. So I reapplied in case membership isnt lifetime. If I already are, they can have a $50 donation and they can send me another card.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 7, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You guys should get a new logo.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Struggle Street is unironically worth watching, loving hell. Sad as poo poo.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

ScreamingLlama posted:

https://medium.com/@rgmerk/wetherill-s-nuclear-flight-of-fancy-a29716cd6eac

In short: too drat expensive, too drat difficult to build, nuclear remains a finite energy resource that will run out, we don't have any one that could actually make or run a nuclear plant, renewables are safer/cleaner/technologically more viable etc etc etc.

I really do suggest you keep reading on the subject, there are so many social-economic-environmental reasons why we shouldn't go nuclear, instead focus on 100% renewable target.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A graph unironically used by Young Labor

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The budget is Joe Hockey’s do or die moment of truth

Two weeks ago Tony Abbott’s new whip, the amiable Queenslander Scott Buchholz, was compelled to deliver a simple, brutal message to the Prime Minister: if the budget tanked, Joe Hockey would have to go.

The message, based on feedback Buchholz had received from colleagues, which he felt duty-bound to report and which he relayed to the Prime Minister’s office, was that if Hockey’s second budget went down badly, Abbott had to dump his Treasurer. The clear subtext also was that if he did not, he would put his own survival at risk again.

Buchholz refuses to discuss private conversations but word seeped out, so — because he hates it when colleagues refuse to put their name to public comments — he provided a brief response when I approached him about it on Tuesday: “I think Joe’s done a good job in difficult circumstances, and I think he is well aware of the importance of this budget landing well.”

Indeed. Very well aware.

There is so much riding on Hockey’s second budget. It has to provide a springboard for a pos­sible early election, or it has to extend the reprieve granted to Abbott in February, or rebuild Hockey’s reputation or even ­resurrect his own leadership ­ambitions.

It also has to restore confidence in the economy with sensible, affordable measures that would not only expand the workforce — the welfare and childcare changes — but expand the workplace to accommodate them and convince people the government knows how and when it will get back to surplus.

Everything has to fit together perfectly, economically as well as politically. Nothing, but nothing, can go wrong.

This will be Hockey’s last chance to prove himself. Unlike others close to the Prime Minister, Hockey cannot go into witness protection or blame subordinates. While Finance Minister ­Mathias Cormann, Assistant Treasurer Josh Frydenberg and Social Ser­vices Minister Scott Morrison, have done well in ­support roles, they can only do so much.

So, no pressure then.

If Hockey fails to deliver, then it remains to be seen, given his own culpability, whether the Prime Minister dares move him to ­placate his MPs and immobilise challengers so he can last until an election closer to the due date — because it certainly won’t be early.

Buchholz’s action was not surprising. Anyone who has spent 60 seconds or less talking to backbenchers, frontbenchers, insiders or outsiders gets a similar message. When people are not professing profound disappointment in Abbott, they are despairing of Hockey. Individual MPs have also told Abbott, particularly during February’s leadership crisis, that Hockey should go. They say ­Abbott refused to engage, remaining noncommittal, neither defending his Treasurer nor condemning him.

Roll on the wholly unnatural photo opportunity of the Prime Minister with his Treasurer on Tuesday, ostensibly to review the final budget figures, which had two objectives.

The first to reassure the public everything was under control, the second signalled to backbenchers that this budget is as much ­Abbott’s as Hockey’s. So they rise or fall together.

MPs concede the scene-setting for this year’s budget is vastly improved on last year, although the fact it remains unfinished so late raises concerns about how well it will hang together.

Like everyone else they are suspending judgment, waiting to see the measures in full, to hear the speech, for the reaction from their electorates, from business and obviously the polls. As one of them said yesterday: “We are in a kind of twilight zone.”

They look for a flawless performance on the night, then in the days following, when it could easily fall apart if the Prime Minister or the Treasurer meanders off message or mucks up on the detail.

The content, the presentation, the selling — all of it has to hit the mark.

If they get it right, and seeing as Abbott boasted privately to journalists over drinks at Easter that he could beat Bill Shorten in an election if the polls narrowed to 52-48 Labor’s way, which is where Newspoll has it now, then as Laurie Oakes reported last weekend, an early election sounds seductive. The day after the budget last year, Abbott threatened that if it did not pass he would call a double-dissolution election. The budget did not pass.

This year, less than a week out, he has done nothing to dampen speculation that an early election is possible if his budget is so popular that it will pass.

Governing seems a more appropriate response.

An early election, with its smell of self-preservation, carries grave risks for Abbott and his government, despite Bill Shorten’s flaws. Queenslanders especially draw the parallels between Abbott and Campbell Newman: he was unpopular, he tried to wrong-foot Labor by calling the election sooner than expected, then was beaten by an opponent with all the ­characteristics of vanilla.

Which is why one scenario still being canvassed internally at senior levels — outside the PMO — is for Malcolm Turnbull to be made Treasurer.

If asked, Turnbull would have no choice but to serve, otherwise he would look churlish or that he was putting his own ambitions ahead of the government’s interests. Proponents argue this would harness Turnbull’s popularity, quell — if only momentarily — his lust for the leadership, possibly enabling Abbott to last long enough so that Morrison could emerge clearly as his successor, because the Right hates Turnbull and harbours doubts about Julie Bishop.

Another scenario being canvassed is that Morrison, who of all the leadership alternatives stands to win no matter what happens, steps into Treasury. Morrison, happily converting from stormtrooper to sugar daddy, has shown he has the right temperament and stamina for the Treasury portfolio.

All this supposes Hockey would go quietly.

Some time ago when commentary suggested he should be dumped, Hockey let it be known that if he was, he would “bring the house down”. Hockey could have some almighty tanties; however, he would have to ask himself if he wanted to be remembered as the man who, by his performance in and out of Treasury, helped ensure the Coalition’s demise.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/columnists/the-budget-is-joe-hockeys-do-or-die-moment-of-truth/story-fnahw9xv-1227339116889

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kommando posted:

I just did.

I didnt find my membership card or email. So I reapplied in case membership isnt lifetime. If I already are, they can have a $50 donation and they can send me another card.

MINOR PARTIES REPRESENT

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Just saw an ad for Coles saying how they are promoting people from casuals to full time. They really are good for the country. It was followed by another Coles ad, then a woollies ad.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

TheMightyHandful posted:

Just saw an ad for Coles saying how they are promoting people from casuals to full time. They really are good for the country. It was followed by another Coles ad, then a woollies ad.

I haven't watched Australian tv for 8 years, things like this remind me of why that shouldn't change.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

R.I.P Joe

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

MINOR PARTIES REPRESENT

Minor because you are a child or

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

ScreamingLlama posted:

Waiting for your private message if you're serious

lol just kidding

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
ill join the democrats

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

I would be very surprised if it actually doesn't go this way.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Graic Gabtar posted:

I would be very surprised if it actually doesn't go this way.

Honestly if the budget goes south its probably more likely Abbott and hockey will get the toss. Abbott tied to close to Hockey and a bad budget will condemns them both.

Which is why this budget is looking to be safe as hell.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Anidav posted:

A graph unironically used by Young Labor

:psyduck:

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

ScreamingLlama posted:

As do I, which is why you should join the Greens a try to get their stance on this changed.

EDIT: I've had this discussion with QM and a bunch of other people here before who insist that nuclear will play no role in the future of power generation. They are wrong. That said, I think the large majority of Australia's power coming from renewables is both possible, worth pursuing and the most likely outcome. That said there are situations where having small scale nuclear reactors is the only thing that makes sense, and will inevitably happen, even if Australia is a late adopter of the technology. By that point, the Greens stance will likely have changed anyway.

blacksun fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 7, 2015

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
I'm not going to toxx on it, but I'm certainly gearing up for the possibility of a Federal election this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

ScreamingLlama posted:

Why do you want fission on VHS when you can get renewables on DVD and wait for cold fusion to buffer on Netflix?

• Locked thread